St James' Park

Delima

Having a look at an overhead view of Newcastle city centre on Google maps and there’s literally nowhere to put a new stadium. I don’t even think the arena site would be sufficient size. Unless they’re willing to buy up tons of commercial premises in order to knock them all down to build a new one, I think it’s either a case of staying put or moving outside of the city centre limits. 

they're not daft enough to even consider moving out of the city centre. our attendances would drop dramatically if we weren't winning every week. a huge number of people only bother their arses because it's convenient and there's plenty of boozers around.

Just now, Superior Acuña said:

Keep seeing arena site mentioned but wasn't it mentioned a while ago that that's a no-goer? Been sold off or something?

It is pencilled in for other uses, aye. But I guess money may be able to change that? 

24 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Keep seeing arena site mentioned but wasn't it mentioned a while ago that that's a no-goer? Been sold off or something?

Leazes Terrace being moved there brick by brick.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

McClen filling the curtains quota after you left, @JonBez comesock?

He tried !!

His hair was too curly though !

Also - He didn’t use the red  (Dax Wax) - perfect for curtains 

Doesn’t help much now though - I am baldy as fxxx

Jamie still has all his hair !! 

Hope nobody has been cheating, 

For some reason I couldn't figure out Dumas, in my head I had an Aussie, think I was then thinking of Pattinson, who I think was South African

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It is pencilled in for other uses, aye. But I guess money may be able to change that? 

Government backed scheme is going there, although that could easily change with how many different schemes have been proposed for the site.

Edited by El Prontonise

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

Government backed scheme is going there.

Well I don’t know the details of what that actually means, but we’ll see. Doesn’t seem to be a mad rush to start building anything. 

1 hour ago, Big River said:

they're not daft enough to even consider moving out of the city centre. our attendances would drop dramatically if we weren't winning every week. a huge number of people only bother their arses because it's convenient and there's plenty of boozers around.

The reason our attendances held up so well during the shitshow of the Ashley years was due to the location of SJP. People didn't want to give up their day on the drink in the town.

Move to Wideopen or some other far flung place amd only continued success would keep the place filled.

9 hours ago, macphisto said:

100% agree with the need for a city centre location but I do not understand one of the reasons being away fans as has been mentioned a few times in this debate. I can't think of any group or factor that is less important in this debate than away fans. Who cares what they think? 

How much do you think PIF will start milking people if the club doesn't have competition from the city centre?

8 hours ago, cubaricho said:

The new Athletics stadium looks rad too:

look extremely boring and seem to be more about protecting wealthy fans from the elements.

people really like enclosed stadiums? why not sound proof it whilst they are at it so no one knows whats going on inside.

4 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

The reason our attendances held up so well during the shitshow of the Ashley years was due to the location of SJP. People didn't want to give up their day on the drink in the town.

Move to Wideopen or some other far flung place amd only continued success would keep the place filled.

I don’t think they’d fill the stadium even when we’re good if we moved out of town. 

Having attended Reading games regularly I can tell you it’s really not worth the bother and the experience of the day is shite. 

19 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think they’d fill the stadium even when we’re good if we moved out of town. 

Having attended Reading games regularly I can tell you it’s really not worth the bother and the experience of the day is shite. 

Reading is fucking grim, the archetypal rubbish out of town stadium and away day.

One of the times I went there and they'd banned us from having alcohol as punishment for persistent standing. People raging :lol:

30 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If we were winning things we'd definitely fill 70k even if it was in Wideopen or somewhere daft like that, provided their was a transport infrastructure to support it. It's not something I'd ever want to contemplate leaving the city centre, but I've been to several German stadiums, Schalke, Koln, Leverkusen, Monchengladbach, Frankfurt to name 5 and all big clubs and none of them have city centre locations. We went to watch Monchengladbach earlier this season and it was a 30 minute shuttle bus journey to the ground from the city centre.

Apparently they are the leaders in giving supporters the best football experience though.

25 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Reading is fucking grim, the archetypal rubbish out of town stadium and away day.

One of the times I went there and they'd banned us from having alcohol as punishment for persistent standing. People raging :lol:

Concur. 

Queuing in silence outside the ground for one of them double decker buses back to the town centre, after witnessing us lose one of the worst games of football I’ve ever seen, is etched into my memory.

7 hours ago, Izakaya said:

It's more how moving away from the city centre would have a detrimental effect on the Matchday economy of the whole city. NCC would surely want this considered when approving an area for the new stadium. 

Don't think it would have much impact with regards to away fans as they'd still book a hotel in the city centre and go out there either the previous night before the match or after the match (maybe both). 

I obviously understand the impact on the city centre economy with regards to home fans but as I say I couldn't really care about away fans. 

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

Why would no one be interested in NFL games?

It’s not exclusive to residents of Newcastle to attend. Many NFL fans for the London games are from America and elsewhere in Europe.

We have connections to elsewhere in Europe with our airport and the DFDS ferry.

On top of this, the U.K.’s USA sports merchandisers was founded and is still based in North Shields.

With the right stadium I think it could be an option sold as north of England / Scotland. But it would almost certainly be a one-off / occasional thing, not a regular thing.

• The NFL just expanded to 8 international games for 2025 after being at a max four. These games present scheduling problems so there is a limit somewhere.
  • Germany has become a consistent location and the new Bernabeu likely will as well. Mexico City and Brazil are on the list and those have the advantage of less time zone changes.
  • Reducing the games in London eventually (and one of Tottenham or Wembley missing out) would probably need to happen
  • Newcastle is not particularly easy to get to from anywhere in the US
  • Also the chairman of the NFL's international committee is .... Joel Glazer. Lots could change in the next few years but if Man United build a new stadium it may be impossible to beat out as the northern location.

One angle I've thought about which would be helped by having a new, NFL ready stadium is NUFC forming a partnership with an NFL team (possibly with some PIF investment). Try to establish an arrangement where Newcastle plays summer friendlies in their city and the NFL team considers Newcastle its 'home.' Adidas could be involved depending on the players. The Jacksonville Jaguars have sort of done this with Wembley, but not sure if it's going to continue. I think someone will try to pull off a more formal partnership at some point.

54 minutes ago, Arknor said:

How much do you think PIF will start milking people if the club doesn't have competition from the city centre?

You've lost me there, your reply doesn't make sense. I did say that I 100% back staying in the city centre. My point was that I don't care about the thoughts of away fans when considering future stadium plans, if PIF milked away fans then again not something I'd be concerned about. 

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

With the right stadium I think it could be an option sold as north of England / Scotland. But it would almost certainly be a one-off / occasional thing, not a regular thing.

• The NFL just expanded to 8 international games for 2025 after being at a max four. These games present scheduling problems so there is a limit somewhere.
  • Germany has become a consistent location and the new Bernabeu likely will as well. Mexico City and Brazil are on the list and those have the advantage of less time zone changes.
  • Reducing the games in London eventually (and one of Tottenham or Wembley missing out) would probably need to happen
  • Newcastle is not particularly easy to get to from anywhere in the US
  • Also the chairman of the NFL's international committee is .... Joel Glazer. Lots could change in the next few years but if Man United build a new stadium it may be impossible to beat out as the northern location.

One angle I've thought about which would be helped by having a new, NFL ready stadium is NUFC forming a partnership with an NFL team (possibly with some PIF investment). Try to establish an arrangement where Newcastle plays summer friendlies in their city and the NFL team considers Newcastle its 'home.' Adidas could be involved depending on the players. The Jacksonville Jaguars have sort of done this with Wembley, but not sure if it's going to continue. I think someone will try to pull off a more formal partnership at some point.

Owners with ties to an airline could help there, assuming that plan to extend the airport ever had any chance of happening.

Just doing some snips and placement of same distance for perception, this is the size of the Spurs stadium on two options just as a reference point.

Spoiler

6ac1463abe8e57b15a16f5312992b383.jpg

f0b42aa8dfffe12c50defab57b353281.jpg

Proper amateur stuff :D But just shows for a top modern stadium, there is room. Just would be expensive and the logistics both have (temporary location / existing arena).

Still feel the 2nd option is best if it was viable for all involved. Can mean 1/2 of the ground is built (maybe more) before SJP is demolished to build other half, reducing the time period spent away.

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

?; ?; ?; Beharall; Caldwell; Perez; Given; Harper; Caldwell; ?; ?; ?; ?; Hamilton 

Ketsbaia; Serrant; Robinson; Lee; Barton; Hughes; Domi; Glass; Maric; Andersson; Dabizas; Pistone; ?; McClen

Solano; Dyer; Speed; Marcelino; Ferguson; Goma; Charvet; Shearer; Dumas; Griffin

I would just be guessing names (Patrick Kelly, Ralf Kiedel) between Caldwell and Hamilton too.

Garry Brady is to the left of Beharral, don't know the others.

Educated guess at Kerr next to McClen.

Edited by Jonas

I didn’t think Tottenhams new stadium was that great when I went for the game earlier this season. Barely any space inside, found it difficult to actually get anywhere the space was that small. It definitely didn’t leave me wanting to go back to it. 

Not much character either. When all of the old English grounds are knocked down I think I will miss them. 

6 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

for fucks sake, don't apply logic

what we want to hear is move leezers terrace to the moon and build a new stadium in the mariana trench

inform beyonce + NFL cunts