St James' Park

Delima

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

We will also lose revenue whilst the building work is completed and a large number of season ticket holders will be unable to attend. 

Short termism and “what about me” > long term progression of the club. It’ll be the usual moaning cunts who are just happy to have an afternoon away from the wife and a skinful who stunt the growth potential of NUFC.

All that pain  hurt, frustration, disappointment is soaked into the wall of St James. And I think it'd be fitting for us to win a trophy there. 

Just now, duo said:

All that pain  hurt, frustration, disappointment is soaked into the wall of St James. And I think it'd be fitting for us to win a trophy there. 

Nowt would make me happier than bagging some tin pots and then sailing off to a brand spanking new ground, no doubt about that

Just now, duo said:

There's gallons of hot steaming piss soaked into the foundations of the Gallowgate end as well mind

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

There's gallons of hot steaming piss soaked into the foundations of the Gallowgate end as well mind

Getting misty eyed thinking about the Gallowgate bogs.  Though that might be a physical memory of the strong pissy ammonia smell

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s not our identity man - and to go all ‘ship of Theseus’, not one of those stands has seen us win a major trophy

It's the same patch of land as when I started going back in 1984 but that's about it. Maybe the East Stand exterior hasn't changed either other than they've taken the old East Stand ticket office windows out and bricked them up. Think it's been used before, but it's the old Triggers broom anology.

I've never liked it post 2000. It's a hotch potch of different sized stands, doesn't hold in the atmosphere particularly well, and they aren very limited in what they can do from a corporate point of view, which fair enough isn't my thing, but is a vital part of PL clubs revenue streams in this day and age.

I know people say new stadiums lose their atmosphere but SJP isn't particularly great on that front anyway and anyone who's been to Atletico Madrid or to a lesser extent Bilbao can confirm that new stadiums can be just as atmospheric, if not moreso than the ones they replaced.

If we could secure Leazes Park or Castle Leazes that would be perfect. 70k/75k stadium which propels us right up amongst the elite. 

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Think it's been used before, but it's the old Triggers broom analogy.

Perfect that. I also don’t have much love for the lopsided mess that it’s become.

21 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Getting misty eyed thinking about the Gallowgate bogs.  Though that might be a physical memory of the strong pissy ammonia smell

You could taste the cunt in the air man 😂

13 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It's the same patch of land as when I started going back in 1984 but that's about it. Maybe the East Stand exterior hasn't changed either other than they've taken the old East Stand ticket office windows out and bricked them up. Think it's been used before, but it's the old Triggers broom anology.

I've never liked it post 2000. It's a hotch potch of different sized stands, doesn't hold in the atmosphere particularly well, and they aren very limited in what they can do from a corporate point of view, which fair enough isn't my thing, but is a vital part of PL clubs revenue streams in this day and age.

I know people say new stadiums lose their atmosphere but SJP isn't particularly great on that front anyway and anyone who's been to Atletico Madrid or to a lesser extent Bilbao can confirm that new stadiums can be just as atmospheric, if not moreso than the ones they replaced.

If we could secure Leazes Park or Castle Leazes that would be perfect. 70k/75k stadium which propels us right up amongst the elite. 

100% mate

On 16/03/2024 at 09:17, Wallsendmag said:

I’m coming round to this option tbh. I love SJP but if there’s an option to build a behemoth of a stadium on what is effectively the same location, then we have to seriously consider it.

Reconfiguring SJP to being the stadium PIF will want it to be is nigh on impossible. 

St James’ Park

A fortnight after Mike Ashley departed St James’ Park, a source close to the new owners – in a moment of more sober contemplation – cut through the fanfare.

“This is one of the most exciting projects in football, but also one of the most daunting. We’re absolutely miles behind the biggest clubs in terms of commercial revenue – and that’s where this thing will be won or lost,” he said. Two years on, those words feel prophetic.

The uncomfortable truth for Newcastle? They need to get better at player trading

Read More

Take the next steps with the club’s storied stadium. The ownership’s approach has been tentative, which ticks the box of their pledge to engage with supporters on the biggest issues. But sooner or later they need to front up and make a decision on St James’ Park rather than outsourcing it to consultants or crowdsourcing solutions.

That day is drawing closer. The results of a comprehensive survey – both into what is possible on the site and what thousands of members and season ticket holders want – will be published later in the spring and will provide a springboard for making a call. i understands it is likely that an interim solution – some sort of stadium expansion and improvement work to satisfy short to medium-term need – will be found, similar to the £10m plus investment at the training ground which will allow breathing space for a longer term call.

St James’ Park is committed to host games at Euro 2028 which provides a timeline but after that it may be that all bets are off. Increased capacity, with a fanzone and huge stadium shop refit, would allow the club to test the water on how big the capacity of the ground could be while retaining the ferocious demand for tickets which creates a buzz of its own. It would also tick the box of the club continuing to improve commercial revenue.

But it also hints at some of the club’s wider issues as they sit 10th in the Premier League and are out of Europe and domestic competitions. Can the club continue to convince they are on the route to the very top – the ownership group’s avowed aim – with piecemeal, sensible but incremental improvements?

As much as building a new, all-singing, all-dancing stadium somewhere in Newcastle (or even knocking down and rebuilding on the current site) would send shockwaves through the support and risk a fissure with history, it would also send a message that they mean business and are prepared to find a way by any means necessary.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-problems-summer-fix-2962292

On 16/03/2024 at 08:53, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s not our identity man - and to go all ‘ship of Theseus’, not one of those stands has seen us win a major trophy

It 100% is to a lot of people, me included. In fact I'd go as far as saying that SJP is one of the few tangible connections I have left with history and that as yet hasn't been completely ruined by modern football.

That not applying to you is fine obviously but it doesn't make us wrong.

I look back at the 80's St James with fondness, the modern concrete walls of the new stands does nowt for me, I'm in the new stadium camp, move on like the rest of the football world.

Honestly I can't conceive of folk being OK with moving from Gallowgate any more than I can conceive of folk being happy with us playing in green and black halves rather than black and white stripes. Know what Ben is saying but personally I love the lopsided majesty of the place - nobody sees the east stand from anywhere, Gallowgate looks like a lot of other football grounds, but those two stands with level 7 look absolutely phenomenal from outside I think, really imposing.

No axe to grind with people who view it differently, and yeah it's a tough call if diversification and commercial success is literally the only way to sporting success - but I definitely see SJP as a major part of our history and identity and would be gutted to lose it. Castle Leazes I could maybe just about live with - a different cathedral slightly higher up the same hill - but anything else and I'd be devastated like.

Edited by OpenC

If we announce that we are just tarting up SJP then that is a very worrying sign for how long PIF plan to stick around IMO. A huge statement of intent needs to be made this summer and a new stadium needs to be the priority. I think the vast majority of the support have now come around to the idea that SJP is now hindering our progression as a club, so the owners should quit worrying about making the decision to build elsewhere within the city centre.

Edited by Wandy

Why you continue to claim the majority want to move is beyond me like. Every poll that's been done shows the exact opposite.

EDIT: No, every poll doesn't show the exact opposite, it's that no polls support the idea that the majority want to move. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Why you continue to claim the majority want to move is beyond me like. Every poll that's been done shows the exact opposite.

Has there been a recent poll that you can point me to?

I'm basing my judgement on the comments I read across the various social media channels.

44 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I honestly haven’t seen a poll on it

The last one of any note was when we got over 100k signatures to move the club in 1997

I’ve honestly no idea of where the support would be on it today (I don’t claim to speak for a majority re moving, but I genuinely haven’t seen a poll showing either / or.  I’m not referring to a Twitter account etc)

13 hours ago, Ben said:

I look back at the 80's St James with fondness, the modern concrete walls of the new stands does nowt for me, I'm in the new stadium camp, move on like the rest of the football world.

So you want to replace modern concrete walls with modern concrete walls? Sound. 

12 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It is only anecdotal and a small sample size, but the vast majority of match going fans I have spoken to accept we need a new stadium to compete. It was more split, last season, but the constraints of remaining at SJP and the farce of the ballot this year have become so apparent in recent weeks that an acceptance that moving it the only option is becoming obvious.

This doesn’t mean they actually want to move, they simply realise we need to move to compete.

I think the whole 'would you want to move or remain' question is actually not the important one. Of course the majority are going to want to remain at SJP. The actual question is 'how opposed to the idea of moving are you on a scale of 1-10?'

Because I'd rather remain at SJP, but when put into the context of moving means more seats, easier to get tickets, quicker catch up the super clubs of the world, then I'd actually only come in at a 3 or 4 on that scale. 

17 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I think the whole 'would you want to move or remain' question is actually not the important one. Of course the majority are going to want to remain at SJP. The actual question is 'how opposed to the idea of moving are you on a scale of 1-10?'

Because I'd rather remain at SJP, but when put into the context of moving means more seats, easier to get tickets, quicker catch up the super clubs of the world, then I'd actually only come in at a 3 or 4 on that scale. 

Aye, it’s massively deceiving. It all depends on what you class as staying at SJP is, does it include a total rebuild?

How many people would still be willing to stay if it meant their season ticket went up £500-£1,000. We have already seen people be moved on because their season ticket went up to £7k, and you had to buy 2.

I’d be up for a stadium move either on the same site (rebuild), on Leazes, or the Arena site. I’m not up for a new stadium at Silverlink.