St James' Park

Delima

14 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Over the past few years or so I've not had a ST so just tended to pick tickets up when and where I can which means I've sat all over the place.

In my experience the best atmosphere is middle/back of the Gallowgate and I think that is at least in part due to the sloping roof which allows any noise to reverberate around. Now I'm not saying the atmosphere is amazing or anything, but it was certainly better the few times I've been in there compared to my ventures into the Leazes and Milburn Stands. I'm just talking regular PL games here, not PSG etc.

Of course there's more to it than that and certain games are going to have a buzz about them regardless but its disingenuous to suggest that the design of the stadium plays no part in it. 

Tha Gallowgate is a great example of acoustics tbh. The design of the roof holds the noise in there really well so when you're in there it sounds very loud. If you're sat opposite in the Leazes End or the away end it sounds shite.

37 minutes ago, OpenC said:

It's not disingenuous if you really think that the design of the stadium plays no part in it :lol: and I really don't. I've had the same experience sitting in different parts of the ground - like I say, I watched the life drain out of the Gallowgate between 2001ish and 2014ish when I got rid of the ST, and I've had good and bad experiences in pretty much all of the ground since then (I sat in the away end when it was up in the corner with a mate for a Leeds game and there was no issue with the atmosphere there). Only place I've never sat is the lower levels of the Leazes.

It's almost exclusively to do with the quality of the football and the composition of the crowd (again, imo).

and unfortunately, tagging a few thousand extra seats on the top of the Gallowgate isn't going to improve either of those things. As discussed, it could actually make the atmosphere worse. We need more income to improve the squad (changes to FFP rules notwithstanding) and we need to alter the composition of the crowd and I don't see how the club can do either of those things within the confines of SJP.

3 hours ago, OpenC said:

Funny how the acoustics appear to be ok on those amazing days when the crowd is 100% behind the team and they beat PSG or come back from 3 down to win, but then are less amazing on those days where we spend most of the game holding onto a slender one nil lead, miss a hatful of chances then give away a penalty at the death.

I reckon folk are going to have to accept at some point that for better or worse the crowd isn't the same as it used to be and that old crowd probably isn't coming back even if we can accommodate them. Is it the acoustics that made us sing Blaydon Races too fast for a few years then just stop altogether?

And when do you mean by "as it used to be" ?

The past wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Granted the roof isn't sloped, but if the gallowgate end matched the leazes end, would that not create more of a bowl effect and keep more noise in? Or would the east stand put pay to that?

2 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

and unfortunately, tagging a few thousand extra seats on the top of the Gallowgate isn't going to improve either of those things. As discussed, it could actually make the atmosphere worse. We need more income to improve the squad (changes to FFP rules notwithstanding) and we need to alter the composition of the crowd and I don't see how the club can do either of those things within the confines of SJP.

We will also lose revenue whilst any changes to the gallowgate occur and a number of season ticket holders will be affected. At the end of the day the most important thing about NUFC is the team. I've been going since the 70s and have seen us win absolutely fuck all. If moving stadiums results in increased revenue and sponsorship to enable the club to move the team forward and eventually win a trophy, then to me it's an absolute no brainer. 

36 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Oh yes it was - X 10.

It wasn't like. Maybe when the Leazes was up but since then the atmosphere often flattered yo deceive. If you stood in the middle of the Gallowgate centre it surrounded you and seemed better than it was from elsewhere in the ground. On occasion, like now, the whole place rocked but it wasn't the norm.

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

Atmosphere pre-expansion (expecially during the Keegan years) was light years ahead of what we have now.

Society was to be fair… [emoji38]

3 hours ago, OpenC said:

It's not disingenuous if you really think that the design of the stadium plays no part in it :lol: and I really don't. I've had the same experience sitting in different parts of the ground - like I say, I watched the life drain out of the Gallowgate between 2001ish and 2014ish when I got rid of the ST, and I've had good and bad experiences in pretty much all of the ground since then (I sat in the away end when it was up in the corner with a mate for a Leeds game and there was no issue with the atmosphere there). Only place I've never sat is the lower levels of the Leazes.

It's almost exclusively to do with the quality of the football and the composition of the crowd (again, imo).

I'm in agreement with this as most clubs are having the same arguements about lack of atmosphere despite various different stadiums/acoustics.

As mentioned for a different reason I've got a Mag out from mid 1994/95 having the exact same debate and SJP was pretty symetrical then whilst I myself recall lambasting the atmosphere in 98/99 just the the extension was starting.

It just doesn't hold up.

37 minutes ago, Sima said:

Atmosphere pre-expansion (expecially during the Keegan years) was light years ahead of what we have now.

The atmosphere now is better than it was for the majority of the Souness and Daglish time.

8 minutes ago, OCK said:

Entertaining football creates an atmosphere? Nah. Nah, not having that. 

Couple that with having something to play for as well 

It's not just us, though. I'm mid thirties and have been to every ground in league now, save for Luton. Plenty in Championship too. Obviously there's occasions when a ground get's rocking but it's actually quite rare. When St James' gets going it is electric. I will die on the hill that there's nowhere in England that would generate an atmosphere like the PSG game. In all of my years going, it 100% was the best atmosphere I've experienced home or away.

My Dad & Granda tell me (or told, in the latter. Dead.) that the 80s & especially Keegan years were magic but I can't remember so can't comment, but certainly since I started going which is just prior and just after extending, it's been much of a muchness in my opinion. Last season was the best it's felt to me anyway, although the Robson years are very blurry now so will stand corrected.

Agree about the acoustics not travelling well. For those who go/went away regularly, they'll all nearly all confirm that the 'older' grounds like Elland Road/Goodison are the best in terms of noise. Low roofs etc, even our fans sound better there I reckon. Elland Road is the loudest home fans I've heard as an away fan FWIW. 

We need another singing section in the Leazes (preferably L4 corner or directly above where away fans used to be ) which will help the noise bounce about a bit. The bad news is the better we get, the worse it will get. It's different now as you can see this season - people just expect to turn up and pump a team and get restless when we aren't 2-0 up early doors.

Arsenal

Chelsea

Man City

Man U

(Liverpool)

Tottenham

They're all very "boring" to watch due to the crowd being dead. Although Chelsea/Man U last night was the first time I've heard Stamford Bridge make noise [emoji38]

Edited by OCK

I think a lot of fans just don’t think about football as a place to go to sing for 90 minutes. They would sing, but they won’t start it or drive it without enough more vocal people nearby. 

If something exciting happens in the game, most crowds will react. 

Also every song is so fast that people can’t keep up for more than a couple of lines. 

I’m 40 and I can’t really remember any time that most of the stadium has been singing. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a PL game where the home fans do that. 

We do want to improve the atmosphere but I’m not 100% sure what a realistic level to aim for is. When we say the atmosphere is bad, compared to what?

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Before I start I am no longer a season ticket holder. I gave mine up after SBR's 1st season and I'm over the moon to get a ticket through my membership. I did however go to almost every game from about 76/77 until then. Can I just say that people moaning about 'old cunts' attending the match that if it wasn't for them going in the pissing down rain in the old Gallowgate with no roof when we were 2nd division cannon fodder with gates of less than 16000 that they would probably have no team to support/

But it's not only the stadium that's changed, is it? That's the point I suppose. The footballers have changed, public perception of the game has changed, the matchgoers have changed.  SJP itself is the most obvious representation of it but the game and the crowd just aren't the same as they were even 20 years ago, much less 30

Edited by OpenC

57 minutes ago, cowlie63 said:

Before I start I am no longer a season ticket holder. I gave mine up after SBR's 1st season and I'm over the moon to get a ticket through my membership. I did however go to almost every game from about 76/77 until then. Can I just say that people moaning about 'old cunts' attending the match that if it wasn't for them going in the pissing down rain in the old Gallowgate with no roof when we were 2nd division cannon fodder with gates of less than 16000 that they would probably have no team to support/

image.thumb.png.bc8c05cb2cb2ef99c05105f8bcca703d.png

22 minutes ago, OpenC said:

But it's not only the stadium that's changed, is it? That's the point I suppose. The footballers have changed, public perception of the game has changed, the matchgoers have changed.  SJP itself is the most obvious representation of it but the game and the crowd just aren't the same as they were even 20 years ago, much less 30

Spot on and we'll never get that kind of support again sadly.

I think that sort of support is genuinely dying off at Newcastle's level, I don't think it's just us. Die hard supporters being gradually replaced by interested spectators, inevitable really with the television saturation.

Edited by OpenC