St James' Park

Delima

whats next?

changing the kit to red and blue and re-naming the team to Sports Direct Athletic

FFS want to over-react any more?

I really don't see how that is overreacting. Ashley has shown he doesn't give a f***.

You have got to be f***ing kidding me right?

Say his not a real fan all you want but f*** me dead he has done everything he can to improve the finances of this club and make sure the club survives longer.

exactly the problem with our fans is we are too insular, its like we got black n white goggles on .  look at the bigger picture.  ashley has a lot of faults but rebranding the stadium is not one of them.  Maybe one day when we reach the status of man utd, we can throw the luxury of a huge slice of income we get from  sponsership and call it whatever we like.  back to st james,  right now it actually makes sense to rebrand. 

We all like to keep our heritage but we also want to see a winning team out there on the pitch. If this genuinely helps to boost our income and that boosts our competitiveness then so be it. If keeping the stadium name is so important that it has priority over a successful team as far as you're concerned then that's fine. I can respect that position. But to pretend that there's no choice to be made here is a bit hypocritical.

Guest Geordiesned

Llambias has just been asked by Llambias on Radio Newcastle what will happen if nobody comes in to buy the naming rights. He said they would continue on with it they couldn't go back.

So lies about it being temporary already.

Guest ykmkmdd

Would anyone's views on this change if,  say within a year, it smoked out a lucrative real sponsorship?

You can bet it will - especially if the income from said lucrative sponsorship helped fund the wage packages to keep hold of the likes of Cabaye and Colo.

Llambias has just been asked by Llambias on Radio Newcastle what will happen if nobody comes in to buy the naming rights. He said they would continue on with it they couldn't go back.

grow up lol

how is that a lie?  so when our players say we going to win this game for our fans and then we lose,  oh its a lie,  oh dear  :naughty:

He came across badly on Radio Newcastle. Lets not fool ourselves. There will be no new sponsor. It will be the Sports Direct Arena, and thats what they hope it will be from now on without having to pay anything for the right.

I think .com have nailed it with Ashley changing the name with no apparent benefit other than showing someone "this could be you".

Why is it necessary to change the name to show that the name can be changed? Why can't this wait until there is money involved?  And if they are selling the naming rights

1. won't the association with a retailer of cheap sportswear drag down the image of the stadium they are selling?

and

2. won't the acrimonious reception of this interim name simply put other prospective firms off?

If if you accept the notion of the club needing to expand its commercial revenue, its still important to get paid in full. Arsenal are evidence enough that you've still got to get the proper going rate.

He came across badly on Radio Newcastle. Lets not fool ourselves. There will be no new sponsor. It will be the Sports Direct Arena, and thats what they hope it will be from now on without having to pay anything for the right.

You're choosing to pick the most negative outcome to suit your agenda. Let's just hang fire. There's a chance this could have a good outcome for the club if a true sponsor fancies a deal. In the past there's been a lot of hysteria over Ashley's decisions and the last two big ones (Hughton sacking and Carroll sale) have worked out quite well after the initial mass teeth gnashing.

Talking to himself like  :undecided: I said that earlier it wont hurt him in the slightest as he gained no money from it being called St James' park anyway so its win for him either way .

Why invest money on making and fitting all the new signs if he intended on finding a different sponsor for the naming rights, its obvious he has no intention of changing it.

My thoughts on it. This idea of an extra stream of revenue doesn't sit with me. No other club has to do a 'this could be you' to interest potential sponsors, why are we doing it? And the signs, the fact that the stadium name has, officially, had sports direct in the name for a couple of years now, makes me not believe a single word they're saying about it pulling in prospective sponsors. Until the day it changes and it's confirmed were receiving money for the privilege, that won't change. I won't hold my breath.

Ask yourself which kind of brand would want to risk the negative reaction from 50000+ fans and social commentators at a significant up front cost to themselves, on a long term deal with the club?

To me, there are no 'blue chip' brands who would want to associate themselves with Mike Ashleys Newcastle due to his propensity for stupendous decisions which have the potential to negatively impact their name/brand.

So, it'll either be a less aware foreign brand, a smaller company or it'll end up being sports direct. I know where my money is.

Guest sydneycove

Ask yourself which kind of brand would want to risk the negative reaction from 50000+ fans and social commentators at a significant up front cost to themselves, on a long term deal with the club?

To me, there are no 'blue chip' brands who would want to associate themselves with Mike Ashleys Newcastle due to his propensity for stupendous decisions which have the potential to negatively impact their name/brand.

So, it'll either be a less aware foreign brand, a smaller company or it'll end up being sports direct. I know where my money is.

Middle east and Asian companies would jump at the chance to be honest.

Then why haven't they already?

Aye, the idea that this is a good way of getting sponsors interested in a joke. 'hey! Are you a believer of 'any publicity is good publicity?' Stick your name on our stadium!!' watching the fallout from this will just confirm no one will touch it. And people wonder why we dont like this prick still. I dont believe one second that he hasn't thought of that.

It would make no financial sense to have Sports Direct as the stadium name and the shirt sponsor.

It does to them. All that exposure for fuck all. Especially given that they are a brand with no corporate social values and won't give a fuck about the negative press an Ashley owned Newcastle will generate.

It would make no financial sense to have Sports Direct as the stadium name and the shirt sponsor.

Makes no financial sense for 80%+ of the advertising around the ground to be replaced in favour of a company that pays nothing for it either, but that's been done.

Would anyone's views on this change if,  say within a year, it smoked out a lucrative real sponsorship?

Everyone would be too busy drinking piss.

No other club has needed a 'your name here' placeholder telling brands they have the opportunity to be just as villified amongst their audience as Sports Direct. If you believe that's the intention, I have some magic beans to sell you. It's just a line to try to explain away the fact not only have we lost St James Park, but we're getting no money for it. Just like the Sports Direct spamming actually reduces our advertising revenue by giving about 66% of the billboard space to a freebie.

Take your loan back and fuck off, Mike.

They're fucking idiots: the one reason anyone would want to invest in naming rights has now been negated by Fat Cunt. If a brand wanted to attach itself to NUFC they'd be looking at our reputation, history, the prestige of having their name attached to a legendary football institution. There's a cachet in taking on the mantle of St. James' Park: a name with 120 years of history. Re-branding the Sports Direct Arena is like polishing a turd. If it's about the brand, then you've got to protect that brand. We've cheapened ourselves massively and that will surely be a turn-off to any investor. Currently, we're the girl that'll fuck anyone and it'll be no surprise when no decent, reputable companies will want to get near us.

Guest sydneycove

Then why haven't they already?

Because Asian/Middle East Company @ St James Park is not an enticing offer to take up.

Asian/Middle Eastern Company Stadium and front shirt sponsorship is.