St James' Park

Delima

What I don't get is the decision to change the name to the SDA was made months ago. Did folk not realise that inevitably sooner rather than late they'd change the signs?

I jut can't be arsed soiling myself over a few half baked signs. Let's be fair, they were hardly up there with the Shankly Gates in terms of iconic stadium furniture. They'd only been there since the stadium was redeveloped.

It's stupid from a PR perspective, it's stupid from a financial perspective, it's stupid from a business perspective.  People aren't complaining because they don't see the bigger picture, they're complaining because they do.

Its only stupid financially if you can't manage the PR, otherwise the potential benefits are huge - 100% profit on something? Yes please from a business perspective.

That's presuming, of course, that somebody actually pays the club some money.

What I don't get is the decision to change the name to the SDA was made months ago. Did folk not realise that inevitably sooner rather than late they'd change the signs?

I jut can't be arsed soiling myself over a few half baked signs. Let's be fair, they were hardly up there with the Shankly Gates in terms of iconic stadium furniture. They'd only been there since the stadium was redeveloped.

I'm not sure why people should accept the signs going now just because the name was changed months ago.  The signs have gone now so people are reacting now.

It's stupid from a PR perspective, it's stupid from a financial perspective, it's stupid from a business perspective.  People aren't complaining because they don't see the bigger picture, they're complaining because they do.

Its only stupid financially if you can't manage the PR, otherwise the potential benefits are huge - 100% profit on something? Yes please from a business perspective.

Maybe he can follow it up by asking if anyone would like to buy advertising space on the side of a bulldozer which is demolishing an orphanage, as long as he gets the PR right.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I can’t understand how people can be so apathetic about something which is so engrained in the clubs history being taken away, I honestly can’t.  I don’t mean specifically the signs either, I meant the whole thing about the name change. 

Guest thenorthumbrian

Has anyone thought about selling the naming rights to other iconic landmarks in the city ?

We could have the Poundstretcher Tyne bridge, the Aldi Castle Keep, the Mcdonalds Greys's monument etc.

It appears to some people that the history and heritage of this proud old Geordie city means nothing and everything should be up for sale to the highest bidder.

I wonder why these people who tolerate this renaming support Newcastle United as the identity of the city means nothing to them.

Has anyone thought about selling the naming rights to other iconic landmarks in the city ?

We could have the Poundstretcher Tyne bridge, the Aldi Castle Keep, the Mcdonalds Greys's monument etc.

It appears to some people that the history and heritage of this proud old Geordie city means nothing and everything should be up for sale to the highest bidder.

I wonder why these people who tolerate this renaming support Newcastle United as the identity of the city means nothing to them.

You can't do that, people would just call them the Tyne Bridge and Gray's Monument if you leave any of the original name there.  You'd need to make the Tyne Bridge the Argos Tunnel and Grey's Monument the Sony Statue.

It has no guarantee of income at all save for ashleys own business interests withSD. I'm no conspiricist butt the fans have defied him with great hostility;perhaps most deservedly. These are the actions of a powerful man, scorned and publicly embarrassed. Why wouldnt he take this opportunity plus the benefit of free publicity?

Guest thenorthumbrian

You can't do that, people would just call them the Tyne Bridge and Gray's Monument if you leave any of the original name there.  You'd need to make the Tyne Bridge the Argos Tunnel and Grey's Monument the Sony Statue.

How true, it was silly of me not to realise you would have to totally eradicate any previous identity of these structures to make their new names "commercially viable"...

Maybe he can follow it up by asking if anyone would like to buy advertising space on the side of a bulldozer which is demolishing an orphanage, as long as he gets the PR right.

You got me there, I can see how the 2 things are the same

That's presuming, of course, that somebody actually pays the club some money.

Or someone takes some 'free' advertising for a linked brand rather than charge money on loans given to the club.

Money in is the smae as money not going out

Or someone takes some 'free' advertising for a linked brand rather than charge money on loans given to the club.

His actions will have caused more debt than his loans will have saved the club, not that his interest free loans justify the name change.

His actions will have caused more debt than his loans will have saved the club, not that his interest free loans justify the name change.

Doesn't change the fact that he is still entitled to charge interest on any loan he puts into the club.

How much interest do you think we're saving by not owing Barclays or whoever £100m?

I don't agree with changing the name of St James, it seems a pretty pointless thing to do if nothing else and I'm sure there are other ways of making money from the club. However, I do see where it might make sense in a devilish business mind.

Doesn't change the fact that he is still entitled to charge interest on any loan he puts into the club.

How much interest do you think we're saving by not owing Barclays or whoever £100m?

I don't agree with changing the name of St James, it seems a pretty pointless thing to do if nothing else and I'm sure there are other ways of making money from the club. However, I do see where it might make sense in a devilish business mind.

I would guess we'd pay about £10 million interest a year and he's been here for almost 5 years, I would say he's cost us almost that in relegation alone.

I would guess we'd pay about £10 million interest a year and he's been here for almost 5 years, I would say he's cost us almost that in relegation alone.

i don't think it was quite that much but at the same time, from a purely financial point of view i think our losses from that season were similar to those in the season before he came. at this point i know many will jump in and say about how it's on the pitch not the accounts that matters but as we've found it's easier to strengthen on the pitch if we have the off the pitch stuff working.

You got me there, I can see how the 2 things are the same

Okey doke, let's wait and see which companies want their name associated with a beloved local monument having its name changed and images of goons in fleeces wrenching an iconic sign from a wall with a crow bar as security stewards protect him from a baying mob of the same Jo Public they want to sell their wares to. 

Is money not going in the same as money being taken out?  Remember when we used to have billboards all around the ground, each one being paid for by one of a multitude of commercial companies putting money into the club in return for having their name on that board?  Notice how about 80% of them have now been replaced by freebie adverts for one company instead?  How much revenue do you think that's losing us?  Each Sports Direct hoarding (however many they are - if you're ever at a match that goes into extra time you might have time to count them) is one hoarding that's no longer bringing us in revenue.

Guest thenorthumbrian

So many people seem to be accepting this decision and as for the Ashley fan boys... No wonder this club is losing its soul.

So many people seem to be accepting this decision and as for the Ashley fan boys... No wonder this club is losing its soul.

it's football that lost it's soul but i'm addicted. i don't recall complaints when shirt advertising was brought in or the gallowgate became whatever the hell it's now called.

Ashley fan boys? Jesus Christ.

I don't agree with him but he's said no worse than what is said about people having agenda's when they have different opinions.  Personally, I think people have lost an argument when they use either.

lol as if any opinion other than "change anything at any time" or "change nothing ever" is anything but an arbitrary personal opinion between those two extremes and not worth haranguing someone over or trying to lead them down a rabbit hole of hypothetical situations. 

Not that anyone's doing that mind, just applying a little hyperbole to an already agitated situation like the cool guy I am. 

it's football that lost it's soul but i'm addicted. i don't recall complaints when shirt advertising was brought in or the gallowgate became whatever the hell it's now called.

Shirt advertising replaced nothing, the Gallowgate name changed when the Gallowgate was replaced with a new stand which was given a new name.