St James' Park

Delima

I feel like I've been told this before, but why can't the east stand be expanded?

Leazes Terrace behind the East Stand is a magnificent example of Georgian architecture and Grade I listed.

Could it potentially be demolished and improved though?

there would be virtually no change in design for the replacement.

I once thought a two tier stand overhanging like highbury built in the 90s, but too high for light I believe.

Remember mates in the 80s saying when they knocked the west stand down we should have moved the pitch west- didnt see it myself at the time- but they were proved right.

That's what I was thinking something link the North Bank at Highbury.  Tbf, it's a very old stand now, facilities are quite poor and will need refurbishing at some point soon.

The facilities in the East Stand are fine and were refurbished when the ground was extended to 52k and the old boxes taken out.

It's dated now like. Queues to get in are longer than any of the other stands, takes longer to get out than in any of the other stands, legroom is poor and the concourse area is far more cramped than in the rest of the ground. Cracking view of the pitch though although that's not necessarily a good thing these days.

I feel like I've been told this before, but why can't the east stand be expanded?

Leazes Terrace behind the East Stand is a magnificent example of Georgian architecture and Grade I listed.

I once thought a two tier stand overhanging like highbury built in the 90s, but too high for light I believe.

Remember mates in the 80s saying when they knocked the west stand down we should have moved the pitch west- didnt see it myself at the time- but they were proved right.

That's what I was thinking something link the North Bank at Highbury.  Tbf, it's a very old stand now, facilities are quite poor and will need refurbishing at some point soon.

The facilities in the East Stand are fine and were refurbished when the ground was extended to 52k and the old boxes taken out.

It's dated now like. Queues to get in are longer than any of the other stands, takes longer to get out than in any of the other stands, legroom is poor and the concourse area is far more cramped than in the rest of the ground. Cracking view of the pitch though although that's not necessarily a good thing these days.

:lol:  knock it down build a new one that faces Leazes terrace, and enjoy the view for 90mins.

It's fine. I've had a season ticket in there for the last 5 or so years since I moved from the Gallowgate until I chucked it in the summer and it is fine. I was on Boxing Day as a Christmas present in my old seat - leg room of course not the same as Level 7 etc but more than adequate , queues to get in never a problem and there is plenty of room on the concourse in the middle but people seem to want to wait at the ends - for five years if I wanted something at half time just walk to the kiosk in the middle and you could get a pie or a pint instantly yet people queued like sheep either side of you. Very strange.  The facilities in there are fine, of course they could be better but they are just fine for what they are.

It does take fucking ages to get out mind.

So if the development behind Gallowgate gets the go-ahead, SJP will remain as it is for the forseable future?

I always loved seeing it being re-developed during the season. Gallowgate was during the off-season if I remember correctly, then the strawberry corner. Then the mega project of the Leazes and Milburn stands. Always envy when other clubs are expanding and we're plastering up more SD signs.

Still miles better than pink seats stadium though.

:lol:  knock it down build a new one that faces Leazes terrace, and enjoy the view for 90mins.

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Have to say if SJP ever got redeveloped it would piss on nearly all stadiums

won't do though the land is being sold off and the fans are not putting up enough fuss so unfortunately we are fucked with this size stadium forever

Guest Roger Kint

Have to say if SJP ever got redeveloped it would piss on nearly all stadiums

won't do though the land is being sold off and the fans are not putting up enough fuss so unfortunately we are fucked with this size stadium forever

Neither of those points are the reason for that happening though. He is talking redevelopment not stupidly lumping another few thousand on the roof of the Gallowgate

Have to say if SJP ever got redeveloped it would p*ss on nearly all stadiums

won't do though the land is being sold off and the fans are not putting up enough fuss so unfortunately we are f***ed with this size stadium forever

Tbh, we don't need a bigger stadium, we wouldn't fill it. Even back during the Robson era there were empty seats at most league matches, for the Champions League matches it was half empty.

Maybe if we had Dortmund-esque ticket prices it would be different, but that's just a pipe-dream in modern top flight English football, never going to happen anywhere.

won't do though the land is being sold off and the fans are not putting up enough fuss so unfortunately we are f***ed with this size stadium forever

Tbh, we don't need a bigger stadium, we wouldn't fill it. Even back during the Robson era there were empty seats at most league matches, for the Champions League matches it was half empty.

Maybe if we had Dortmund-esque ticket prices it would be different, but that's just a pipe-dream in modern top flight English football, never going to happen anywhere.

Don't think it was quite half empty for our CL matches..

I remember there being tonnes of empty seats. I wasn't intending 'half empty' to be taken literally btw, I'm know the attendances weren't 26,000, more like 40ish for most of them.

I remember there being tonnes of empty seats. I wasn't intending 'half empty' to be taken literally btw, I'm know the attendances weren't 26,000, more like 40ish for most of them.

Feyenoord there was 40K but Juve and Inter we had 50K

Only had over 50,000 twice from 6 champions league games (Barca & Inter) to be fair. Juve was 48,000 and the other three were less than 41,000  Not great and goes some way to disproving the myth that if we were doing well again we could fill a 60,000+ stadium

Only had over 50,000 twice from 6 champions league games (Barca & Inter) to be fair. Juve was 48,000 and the other three were less than 41,000  Not great and goes some way to disproving the myth that if we were doing well again we could fill a 60,000+ stadium

To be fair I agree that the stadium is big enough and don't understand the clamour to extend it.