St James' Park

Delima

The petition didn't prevent that development from going ahead, John Hall withdrawing the application before it had run its course did.

Whether that was just him throwing his toys out of the pram or because there was a more fundamental issue, I don't know, but public objection alone does not prevent a development by a genuinely committed developer.

Hall and Shepherd seen the pound signs and knew all the objections were going to lead to a lengthy public enquiry. He went for the quickest option and not the best in the long term in my opinion.

The petition didn't prevent that development from going ahead, John Hall withdrawing the application before it had run its course did.

Whether that was just him throwing his toys out of the pram or because there was a more fundamental issue, I don't know, but public objection alone does not prevent a development by a genuinely committed developer.

Hall and Shepherd seen the pound signs and knew all the objections were going to lead to a lengthy public enquiry. He went for the quickest option and not the best in the long term in my opinion.

There's no reason why they couldn't have pressed ahead with both the appeal and an application for the expansion of St James' Park at the same time. Planning Public Inquires aren't generally particularly lengthy or expensive in the grand scheme of things (unless it's something like Heathrow terminal 5). Generally they last a week or two and having thousands of objections is nothing unusual. That's assuming it would've definitively been refused, in my experience you can never know 100% what is going to happen at a council committee meeting.

The fact that it was withdrawn suggests to me that either they weren't fully committed to it in the first place or that there was a fundamental issue that they were advised would make it unlikely to have been successful at appeal. That wouldn't be down to public objections.

There's no reason why they couldn't have pressed ahead with both the appeal and an application for the expansion of St James' Park at the same time. Planning Public Inquires aren't generally particularly lengthy or expensive in the grand scheme of things (unless it's something like Heathrow terminal 5). Generally they last a week or two and having thousands of objections is nothing unusual. That's assuming it would've definitively been refused, in my experience you can never know 100% what is going to happen at a council committee meeting.

The fact that it was withdrawn suggests to me that either they weren't fully committed to it in the first place or that there was a fundamental issue that they were advised would make it unlikely to have been successful at appeal. That wouldn't be down to public objections.

I think the friends of Leazes Park had the likes of English Heritage involved, it would definitely have gone to government for a full public enquiry.

I just think it boiled down to economics in the end and they wanted the extra capacity in the quickest time frame possible.

Certainly would have been interesting had it been built, though like most new stadia built around that time it might now have looked dated in comparison to Spurs etc now.

I think the friends of Leazes Park had the likes of English Heritage involved, it would definitely have gone to government for a full public enquiry.

I just think it boiled down to economics in the end and they wanted the extra capacity in the quickest time frame possible.

Certainly would have been interesting had it been built, though like most new stadia built around that time it might now have looked dated in comparison to Spurs etc now.

No, it would have been a planning inquiry undertaken by the planning inspectorate, although that is an executive agency of government. It probably wouldn't have been an incredibly complex inquiry because the primary issue probably would have been heritage impact only, and large scale well organised public objection is not unusual at inquiries, ubiquitous even.

It is possible like you say they just wanted the extra capacity in the quickest time, but why not at least let the application run its course and see what happens? Why not twin-track an application for expansion with an appeal? Planning inquires are not that expensive, tens of thousands of pounds rather than hundreds of thousands usually, cost would not be likely to have been a significant obstacle

It's likely that English Heritage would have been a statutory consultee anyway, and they would not have been influenced by public objection to the development. Although, their objection is likely to have been a significant issue for its prospects at appeal. But my point is that the influence of public objections probably wasn't as significant as people make out.

Yeah you may be right and the cost of the project put them off in the end. Though I think the stadium expansion cost was around 50 million, and the cost of the mackems new stadium was around 30 million around the same time or thereabouts. I certainly think our stadium would have cost more than the stadium of shite, but it certainly would have been a lot less than what a new stadium seems to cost these days.

The Stadium of Light only cost £15m to build and then they had to pay half of that amount again a few years later to expand it by 7k seats. The total cost including the extension was less than £25m. As a comparison NUFC paid around £45m to extend SJP in 2000 although that was by 16k seats.

There's not a chance of the Gallowgate being mirrored up with the Leazes once this office block development is finished.

Is it actually being built? The market for commercial real estate is on its arse. Whatever the use- retail, office, student housing- all have taken an absolute beating.

Yeah Radisson red hotel has been given go ahead.

I agree we will need to relocate and Castle Leazes is still the best and only city centre site now viable. I can’t see a problem with relocating to Castle Leazes, of course there’ll be nimbys but with Leazes Terrace opened up and St James used to create a new and usable park it could benefit the whole city.

There is another site available now which is where the newcastle arena is as that is closing in a couple of years. it has lots of land round and it and is a brown field site so would get through planning unlike castle leazes which i still think would be blocked.

There's not a chance of the Gallowgate being mirrored up with the Leazes once this office block development is finished.

Is it actually being built? The market for commercial real estate is on its arse. Whatever the use- retail, office, student housing- all have taken an absolute beating.

I agree we will need to relocate and Castle Leazes is still the best and only city centre site now viable. I can’t see a problem with relocating to Castle Leazes, of course there’ll be nimbys but with Leazes Terrace opened up and St James used to create a new and usable park it could benefit the whole city.

There is another site available now which is where the newcastle arena is as that is closing in a couple of years. it has lots of land round and it and is a brown field site so would get through planning unlike castle leazes which i still think would be blocked.

I agree the arena site would be fantastic for a new stadium, however I think the below development may put pay to this.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/homes-built-quayside-west-approved-19316403

I agree the arena site would be fantastic for a new stadium, however I think the below development may put pay to this.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/homes-built-quayside-west-approved-19316403

still room on the arena site and car park for a super stadium

still room on the arena site and car park for a super stadium

Hope your right I think it would be a great site with close links to city centre, and would actually be quite spectacular with the right design in that location. Potential to be even fucking colder in winter, but I’m sure the Saudi’s will install heated seats to account for that.

I drove over the redheugh bridge yesterday and that site would be amazing

Without a doubt people arriving in the city by train would be hit straight away with it as they cross river. Also in line with the new American stadiums a big glass window at one end of stadium overlooking river/bridges would be something else. Obviously it would hopefully have a big tiered stand like Spurs now have to create atmosphere, though I love St Jame’s long term this would transform us.

Without a doubt people arriving in the city by train would be hit straight away with it as they cross river. Also in line with the new American stadiums a big glass window at one end of stadium overlooking river/bridges would be something else. Obviously it would hopefully have a big tiered stand like Spurs now have to create atmosphere, though I love St Jame’s long term this would transform us.

Yeah. I have had that idea for a while and for that location. And open side at that side, then have that stand hold about 7,000 fans and have it as the away end.

Yeah. I have had that idea for a while and for that location. And open side at that side, then have that stand hold about 7,000 fans and have it as the away end.

What would be the point of moving if one of the ends of the ground only held 7000?

What would be the point of moving if one of the ends of the ground only held 7000?

Because you can still have 70,000 seated elsewhere, have you seen any North American stadiums?

Because you can still have 70,000 seated elsewhere, have you seen any North American stadiums?

RxFuFvX.jpg

72,000 capacity

The Seattle stadium with a view of the city at one end is spectacular. I think Minnesota and Atlanta’s new stadiums have big glass windows at one end, if we could frame the river and bridges at one end it would be breathtaking.

Let’s just hope the council don’t ear mark it for student accommodation, before any new owner can explore the possibility.

Guest neesy111

Lansdowne road.

Whats the best American stadium, Dallas Cowboys ?

ghmgqV9.jpg

The Horseshoe where Ohio State plays has to be in there with a shout.

102k capacity (110k record attendance). The stand where this photo is taken is a single tier and holds something like 25-30k people alone. Kop who? :lol: