St James' Park

Delima

Palace's view is wank, was there for the 5-1. :lol: In terms of SJP, while they couldn't be moved pitchside anyway because of how it's configured I personally would like away fans kept up in L7. Moving them pitchside would give the away team an advantage; home fans across the country are usually much quieter than away fans and having the usually louder away fans closer to the pitch gives the opposition an advantage. Keep them up there iyam. Focus on improving the atmosphere amongst ourselves instead of using away fans outsinging us to 'improve' the atmosphere.

what would people think if SJP was renamed Saudi Aramco St James Park, or something similar, if it meant trying to get round ffp? you reckon fans would kick off? i wouldnt be too bothered.

what would people think if SJP was renamed Saudi Aramco St James Park, or something similar, if it meant trying to get round ffp? you reckon fans would kick off? i wouldnt be too bothered.

I mean no one gave a fuck when Ashley did it and gave the club zero cash so why would they care now?

I mean no one gave a f*** when Ashley did it and gave the club zero cash so why would they care now?

I'm presuming that's a joke. There was hell on. We've missed out a lot of millions over this.

It wasn't just the name change.  It was that the new name was so outrageously bad, in such poor taste and on top of it all we didn't get a penny out of it.

I could live with Aramco St James' Park I suppose.  Just a name then St James' Park.

Dead against it. Can’t believe people would swap heritage for a few quid to get around FFP

I mean no one gave a f*** when Ashley did it and gave the club zero cash so why would they care now?

I'm presuming that's a joke. There was hell on. We've missed out a lot of millions over this.

Must have missed the bouycott and walk outs etc.

My bad.

Oh come on, there was hell on over that - which is why he changed it back. The reason people were pissed was the name change was to benefit him, not NUFC.

Presumably ppl are saying they won't mind a name change that actually benefits NUFC

I honestly don't think fans would be that bothered providing there was transparency, if they said the name change would bring in say £15m per season (just a random figure, no idea what the going rate is) then people would mostly accept it

No issue if it’s funding the club’s ambition. That kind of money is a signing, academy scholarships, etc etc etc.

If you’re still hell bent on the name of the stadium being more important than the actual point of the club - which is being the best it can be - then you’ve gotta really rethink what football is today in 2020 and beyond and not what it was in 1995. Which look, sadly, that ship has sailed.

Respect the history by putting a proper name and honoring it right - use the money to better the institution and be transparent about it.

Could do like we do here in Denver. The football stadium is always “Mile High” (the original name of the original stadium) and everyone here calls it as such but it’s official name due to sponsorships is always along the line of “Invesco Field at Mile High” so we always have that name in it.

Could do like we do here in Denver. The football stadium is always “Mile High” (the original name of the original stadium) and everyone here calls it as such but it’s official name due to sponsorships is always along the line of “Invesco Field at Mile High” so we always have that name in it.

Even if it was to be sponsored everyone that matters (the fans) would still call it by it's original name

Guest chopey

I have no problem naming a new stadium after a pizza or something but not St James park. Man Utd are a money making machine and even they haven't went down that rabbit hole.

Oh come on, there was hell on over that - which is why he changed it back. The reason people were pissed was the name change was to benefit him, not NUFC.

Presumably ppl are saying they won't mind a name change that actually benefits NUFC

I seem to recall people being pissed off because the name of a ground from 1880 was changed, the double whammy was because the club wasn’t getting any money for it.

The hypocrisy of fans to accept a Saudi name change would be something to behold after the various moral debates we’ve had so far.

I sincerely hope they wouldn’t change the name and I don’t think they would.

did he change it back over the protests?  i don't recall* that at all, i thought it dragged on for fucking ages while they pretended to be looking for sponsors and then just gave up at some point and changed it back

*i was miles away at the time barely paying attention tbph

did he change it back over the protests?  i don't recall* that at all, i thought it dragged on for fucking ages while they pretended to be looking for sponsors and then just gave up at some point and changed it back

Llambias was looking for sponsors and announced they would showcase the ground to potential new sponsors as SportsDirect@StJamesPark. He gave up after a few months as nobody called it that and there was clearly no takers.

Then out of the blue they just changed the stadium name outright to SDA

Llambias was looking for sponsors and announced they would showcase the ground to potential new sponsors as SportsDirect@StJamesPark. He gave up after a few months as nobody called it that and there was clearly no takers.

Then out of the blue they just changed the stadium name outright to SDA

oh forgot the 2nd one but the first one i remember, and as i said there was noise right but everyone still trundled through the turnstiles filling his pockets :lol: