St James' Park

Delima

The size of college stadiums is insane.

The whole concept of college sport being followed by fans and on TV is ludicrous to me.

I’ve seen Durham University play football in front of around 10 people, all of whom were friends and family of the players :lol:

It is sort of a replacement for our lower league and non-league teams though.

So people think 48,000 capacity Lansdowne road would be a good example of a stadium design to emulate if we ever moved? :lol:

What would be the point of moving if the capacity was smaller than at St James's? Might as well just tart up our current ground.

Admittedly, America has loads of fantastic looking stadiums, but are any of the bigger ones completely covered, but still with one end that only holds 7000?

So people think 51,000 capacity Lansdowne road would be a good example of a stadium design to emulate if we ever moved? :lol:

What would be the point of moving if the capacity was smaller than at St James's? Might as well just tart up our current ground.

Admittedly, America has loads of fantastic looking stadiums, but are any of the bigger ones completely covered, but still with one end that only holds 7000?

That’s not what people are saying though.

What we are saying is that a smaller stand behind one of the goals with an open section or section where the city is visible behind it looks great and could work on the Arena site.

You could have a 80,000 seater stadium and say at least 8,000 fans in the smaller stand. So long as there was at least 10% in the smaller stand, then you could easily have that stand for away fans only, making segregation easier, and not resulting in stewards or blankets over seats in order to segregate fans.

So people think 51,000 capacity Lansdowne road would be a good example of a stadium design to emulate if we ever moved? :lol:

That’s not what people are saying though.

What we are saying is that a smaller stand behind one of the goals with an open section or section where the city is visible behind it looks great and could work on the Arena site.

You could have a 80,000 seater stadium and say at least 8,000 fans in the smaller stand. So long as there was at least 10% in the smaller stand, then you could easily have that stand for away fans only, making segregation easier, and not resulting in stewards or blankets over seats in order to segregate fans.

The smaller stand so you can see the city is a good idea. To put away fans there, not so much. The visual/optics of that would be horrendous.

I'd prefer something like Feyenoord's new stadium or similar, modernish with 4 big fuck off stands for the noise and symmetry if were to move.

Luton Town have something like some of yous are talking, would be nice in theory.

Personally, I'd rather extra money be spent on a total renovation of SJP - improve every single area of it - even if it costs more.

I’ve said it before but Spurs is the best stadium I’ve ever been to. Obviously it’s brand new and the facilities are amazing, so that helps. But the way they’ve achieved a modern bowl but with very high sides and everyone packed quite closely in is very good. It’s like a good version of the Emirates.

Whats the best American stadium, Dallas Cowboys ?

Probably the new LA one.

Got to agree with this. Very modern and futuristic look to it. Breathtaking view. Was supposed to be the venue for Wrestlemania  in a few months too.

Would love a new stadium with the crazy rich Saudis using highly paid architects and engineers to come up with an iconic, spanking new stadium for us. Castle Leazes or the Arena site would be great.

Would prefer just a modernisation of SJP tbh. New seats, facilities, modern looking concourses, corporate areas, changing rooms, etc. No idea if it can still be expanded but even still I'd just prefer to do that. Get the flags lot back under new owners too.

Realistically, how much more could we pack in. Hypothetically, we’re owned by someone ambitious. We’re doing well. Some star players.

What would be peak demand? 60? 75? It’s not always a given that we sell out games currently.. are there really an extra 20k supporters just waiting to spend money?

I just think a new stadium would go some way to killing off what's left of the club for me. The stadium is a massive part of it, and not just the stadium but the site it's on too and the surrounding area. We lose a lot by moving. Just ask West Ham fans how they feel.

Of course, but if we had new owners and the new stadium was also in the city, I think we'd be OK.

West Ham is a particularly bad example, a soulless stadium and a location that's not West Ham. Worst of all worlds.

Not for me lads, new stadium is a tough sell in any circumstances. St James' is too good and too iconic. Besides, unlike Goodison (badly aged) and WHL (too small), I don't think those same arguments could be levelled at SJP. I think there's potential there to modernise, the structure itself is sound. I know expansion may be an issue, but the addition of 10-15,000 more seats isn't good enough reason to level an icon.

Not for me lads, new stadium is a tough sell in any circumstances. St James' is too good and too iconic. Besides, unlike Goodison (badly aged) and WHL (too small), I don't think those same arguments could be levelled at SJP. I think there's potential there to modernise, the structure itself is sound. I know expansion may be an issue, but the addition of 10-15,000 more seats isn't good enough reason to level an icon.

Tend to agree TBH, I'd rather keep a smaller stadium in the same place. As long as I can get a ticket of course :lol:

That said, as long as it's in the city centre it wouldn't be the end of the world, that's the magical thing that SJP has above your average stadium.

:thup: It's location and the fact that we've always played there for 128 years is too much for me to move and knock it down, like. Just work on ways to attempt to expand it and just completely clean up and modernise the place. Take it out of 2004 (which is probably the last time work was done to it) and into the 2020s.

Realistically, how much more could we pack in. Hypothetically, we’re owned by someone ambitious. We’re doing well. Some star players.

What would be peak demand? 60? 75? It’s not always a given that we sell out games currently.. are there really an extra 20k supporters just waiting to spend money?

A successful Newcastle United, and by successful I mean winning trophies on a regular basis similar to what Man City have done over the past Decade, could attract gates of 65k+ no problem at all. We averaged over 51k in the Championship, which could have been higher as many of the games sold out, so I don't think another 14k or so would be too difficult to achieve of we were constantly one of the best teams in the Country.

I love SJP but, as with the club itself, I've become a bit detached from it this past 10-15 years so I wouldn't be against a new stadium provided it was in either Leazes Park, Town Moor or the Arena site and the capacity was at least 65k giving us the 2nd biggest stadium once again.