St James' Park

Delima

I've had a re-think this is how we should proceed,

1 Dig doon Al la barca style

2Take the roof off the east stand its fooking awful. 

3 make the east stand safe standing only

Me and me fatha reckon that brings the capacity to 71,114

I'm gana email AS gadgie anyone got his email address 

2 hours ago, Nun tumblers said:

Aye it’s 

asgadie.comnthat

10 hours ago, Nun tumblers said:

Could they not remove Leazes terrace brick by brick and rebuild it at Spital tongues or morpeth or summat.

This is a trip into a world of fairies and unicorns and other fantasy, but IF the authorities were to consider moving Leazes Terrace elsewhere they be compelled to move dozens of other buildings too. Essentially most, of not all, of Leazes Village Conservation Area. Certainly Leazes Crescent , St.James Place and St.Thomas Street/Crescent/Square. They were built over the same period (c.1830-1840) and together they form a group value of national significance with Leazed Terrace the crowning glory. 

So in order to increase the size of the football stadium by 10% you'd be willing to remove Newcastle's most architecturally distinguished neighbourhood?

2 hours ago, Nun tumblers said:

Digging down would only help if there is unnecessary space around the pitch or the pitch size can be reduced, there isn't and our pitch is already the minimum PL size, and safe standing doesn't increase capacity.

15 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Leazes Terrace isn’t, shouldn’t and never will be removed, let’s just end it there FFS!

Why? Its a bland street with nothing distinguishing about it, and is now just student accommodation. There's no good reason for it being a listed building other than the fact that its old. 

35 minutes ago, TomYam said:

This is a trip into a world of fairies and unicorns and other fantasy, but IF the authorities were to consider moving Leazes Terrace elsewhere they be compelled to move dozens of other buildings too. Essentially most, of not all, of Leazes Village Conservation Area. Certainly Leazes Crescent , St.James Place and St.Thomas Street/Crescent/Square. They were built over the same period (c.1830-1840) and together they form a group value of national significance with Leazed Terrace the crowning glory. 

So in order to increase the size of the football stadium by 10% you'd be willing to remove Newcastle's most architecturally distinguished neighbourhood?

Id respectfully disagree that Leazes Terrace is architecturally distinguished. It looks exactly the same as most of the city centre flats/apartments.

If it disappeared tomorrow only a few hundred students would miss it.

Guest HTT II
9 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Why? Its a bland street with nothing distinguishing about it, and is now just student accommodation. There's no good reason for it being a listed building other than the fact that its old. 

Fucking hell, it’s a beautiful terrace architecturally, historically and rare in that it’s actually city centre living. Aye, but let’s knock it down. And it’s not just students living there, I know several people that live there and we’ve contemplated buying a flat there in the past and would if money was affordable, buy one tomorrow.

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Fucking hell, it’s a beautiful terrace architecturally, historically and rare in that it’s actually city centre living. Aye, but let’s knock it down. And it’s not just students living there, I know several people that live there and we’ve contemplated buying a flat there in the past and would if money was affordable, buy one tomorrow.

And there's a hundred more which look identical in the city going out to Jesmond. It's nothing special and should never have been granted a listed status

16 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Id respectfully disagree that Leazes Terrace is architecturally distinguished. It looks exactly the same as most of the city centre flats/apartments.

If it disappeared tomorrow only a few hundred students would miss it.

I'd respectfully say you don't have a clue what you're talking about. People with the actual qualifications, knowledge and experience to assess these things have a very different view.

As someone who is perhaps more qualified than most on this forum to give a view on this, it is a stunning example of Georgian architecture and of obvious significant heritage value. It has been a listed building since the 1950s and is Grade I listed, which puts it in the top 2.5% of significance of all listed buildings.

Edited by Jackie Broon

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I'd respectfully say you don't have a clue what you're talking about. People with the actual qualifications, knowledge and experience to assess these things have a very different view.

As someone who is perhaps one of those more qualified than most on this forum to give a view on this, it is a stunning example of Georgian architecture and of obvious significant heritage value. It has been a listed building since the 1950s and is Grade I listed, which puts it in the top 2.5% of significance of all listed buildings.

Thats a rather bold statement considering you don't actually know what i do or where i work, and having seen your previous posts I'd guess you either live in Leazes Terrace, or have some vested interest in it remaining.

Edited by gjohnson

I've said it before and I will say it again, we should work WITH the council to find a solution.

It's also massively in the councils interests to help SJP expand and respect the cultural/traditional importance of the stadium.

They should get their heads together and look for solutions. If that means NUFC paying extra to be given permission to make serious changes, then so be it.

Guest HTT II
19 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

As someone who is perhaps more qualified than most on this forum to give a view on this, it is a stunning example of Georgian architecture and of obvious significant heritage value. It has been a listed building since the 1950s and is Grade I listed, which puts it in the top 2.5% of significance of all listed buildings.

Aye, but there’s hundreds like it…

Guest HTT II
17 minutes ago, Comegetasample said:

Knock the bridges doon, build it on the river 

Fuck off, I’ve already pitched that idea on here!

1 hour ago, TomYam said:

Cosevasion area my arse who decided that the same daft c**ts that are making the byker wall a listed building .

I'd make the fookers live there for a year.

Who gives a flying **** about Leazes tce

SJP is far more important than anything else in the city centre.

I'd also put fat mike in a concrete overcoat 

and stick him in the foundations of the new East stand.

I'd say Leazes Terrace should only be considered altering/moving if the East Stand side of the stadium was to be considerably increased in capacity. For example, extending Level 7 all the way around it and therefore increasing overall SJP capacity to around the 80k mark. Until then there's no point really discussing it.

But I have no doubt that a more efficiently designed East Stand could replace the existing one, on roughly the same footprint, to give a pretty decent increase in capacity over the existing eyesore.

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Fuck off, I’ve already pitched that idea on here!

I have a better solution, knock the bridges down, build across the river making it a symbolic northern powerhouse.  Knock the sage down and just bin the contents, keep the shell and make it a train/ bus station.

All that green space where the Angel of the North is, perfect training facility and the melted down Angel will provide all the goal posts and outbuildings anyone could want  

We just need to think clever