St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, STM said:

SJP is one of the best stadiums in the world for two reasons, firstly the size of the leazes end is unreal, even when you have seen it dozens of times and the view of the city from L7 is astonishing.

Secondly, its smack bang in the centre of one of the countries iconic cultural cities and one of Europe's best cities for nightlife.

The amount of people who can get shitfaced pre and post match can't be understated. It's first on everyone's away trip list.

If you watch Fozcast, Ben Foster talks about not only how mint the atmosphere is in SJP but also how all the away footballers used to look forward to going out on the piss after the match.

Leave SJP and we lose ALL of this, potentially. Thankfully the owners have seen sense.

Hopefully the council (which should prioritise NUFC) and the club can get their heads together and come up with something for stadium expansion.

I'd like to hear from an architect to see if they can think of a way around things.

An architect wouldn't know, the issues with Leazes Terrace / St James Street are planning / listed building issues. A conservation office / heritage consultant would be best placed to comment on the heritage impact issues and what could likely be done (other than Newcastle City Council, obviously).

Edited by Jackie Broon

5 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

It's hard to put into words how class it is having a stadium in the city centre. Being a one-club city, the buzz in town on a matchday is absolutely brilliant. I love it. So many people, all going about their own little individual matchday rituals. If we win, it lingers well into the evening. Everyone's on a high and up for a good time. There's been occasions I've not wanted to go home.

100%. Wonder what the difference is between how much money me and me dad sink into the Westgate Road and Pink Lane pubs after wins compared to other results. Must be astronomical. :lol:

10 hours ago, STM said:

SJP is one of the best stadiums in the world for two reasons, firstly the size of the leazes end is unreal, even when you have seen it dozens of times and the view of the city from L7 is astonishing.

Secondly, its smack bang in the centre of one of the countries iconic cultural cities and one of Europe's best cities for nightlife.

The amount of people who can get shitfaced pre and post match can't be understated. It's first on everyone's away trip list.

If you watch Fozcast, Ben Foster talks about not only how mint the atmosphere is in SJP but also how all the away footballers used to look forward to going out on the piss after the match.

Leave SJP and we lose ALL of this, potentially. Thankfully the owners have seen sense.

Hopefully the council (which should prioritise NUFC) and the club can get their heads together and come up with something for stadium expansion.

I'd like to hear from an architect to see if they can think of a way around things.

We wouldn't lose any of that if we stay within the city centre apart from L7. I've highlighted the section in bold as I haven't been to the ground in over 10 years. Was the atmosphere that good under Ashley? I do know one thing for sure, there is no better way to kill an atmosphere in a stadium than to have it all season ticket. The crowd grows old together and it just becomes terrible. We had an awful atmosphere in the latter days of Hall before Ashley; that's why there was such a demand at the time for a singing section as the atmosphere was so flat.

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

100%. Wonder what the difference is between how much money me and me dad sink into the Westgate Road and Pink Lane pubs after wins compared to other results. Must be astronomical. :lol:

There was a time—young fella me lad—when sinking money in Pink Lane would have had a different, though possibility equally celebratory, connotation 😉 

12 hours ago, SAK said:

A supersized high stand like at La Bombonera would be a solution but you’d need a head for heights as it would be steep.

A very steep East and Gallowgate stand could maybe work, but the people living in Leazes Park would never see daylight again. Imagine something like the Mestalla:

mestalla-partido.jpg

Guest carpetman1
2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

There was a time—young fella me lad—when sinking money in Pink Lane would have had a different, though possibility equally celebratory, connotation 😉 

The same people that won't get the Pink Lane reference are the ones that want to keep the ground as it is, as it has "history". It may do for them, but as an oldie there is absolutely nothing left of the ground I visited when I was a lad. So yes, pull it down and start anew.

Why is the majority of talk on here about moving sites when the owners have already said they want to expand St James? 

Would they have said that without knowing it is possible?

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

A very steep East and Gallowgate stand could maybe work, but the people living in Leazes Park would never see daylight again. Imagine something like the Mestalla:

mestalla-partido.jpg

I think that impact on the setting of Leazes Terrace and impacts on St James Street become potentially showstopping issues before loss of light.

The more I look at it the more I just can't see a way for any expansion of the East Stand.

I think the Gallowgate is probably the only viable option, if it's structurally viable above the metro station and we can buy Strawberry Place back.

7 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I think that impact on the setting of Leazes Terrace and impacts on St James Street become potentially showstopping issues before loss of light.

The more I look at it the more I just can't see a way for any expansion of the East Stand.

I think the Gallowgate is probably the only viable option, if it's structurally viable above the metro station and we can buy Strawberry Place back.

know for a fact that cunty Ashley would charge the earth for it and draw it out as long as possible

1 hour ago, carpetman1 said:

The same people that won't get the Pink Lane reference are the ones that want to keep the ground as it is, as it has "history". It may do for them, but as an oldie there is absolutely nothing left of the ground I visited when I was a lad. So yes, pull it down and start anew.

The average age on here is like 40 years old man. :lol:

Guest carpetman1
14 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The average age on here is like 40 years old man. :lol:

Average. So some are younger while others are older then?

I can remember someone posting some designs on here which show the pitch rotated 90 degrees (with the Gallowgate/Leazes therefore overlooking the touchlines as opposed to the goal-lines). I'm not a huge fan of the idea but you get the feeling that it's going to take a radical design solution like that to overcome the issues of Leazes Terrace because, as Jackie Broon says, extending the East Stand at this point is a total dead end of an idea. 

2 hours ago, carpetman1 said:

as an oldie there is absolutely nothing left of the ground I visited when I was a lad. So yes, pull it down and start anew.

Even if you have no affection for its architecture and design, it's the same plot of land that every single NUFC player who's ever played for us has run out on. Does that not count for anything? Surely after 125+ years of history it does? 

25 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I can remember someone posting some designs on here which show the pitch rotated 90 degrees (with the Gallowgate/Leazes therefore overlooking the touchlines as opposed to the goal-lines). I'm not a huge fan of the idea but you get the feeling that it's going to take a radical design solution like that to overcome the issues of Leazes Terrace because, as Jackie Broon says, extending the East Stand at this point is a total dead end of an idea. 

Even if you have no affection for its architecture and design, it's the same plot of land that every single NUFC player who's ever played for us has run out on. Does that not count for anything? Surely after 125+ years of history it does? 

I'm not trying to be contentious for the sake of it but that doesn't mean anything to me. I completely understand why it does matter to some people though I think that is more about people being able to drink in town. I do like the prominence of the stadium and convenience of being central which could be replicated elsewhere. Just as an example, if the stadium could be moved to where the arena is then I wouldn't be fussed at all.

I did move away from Newcastle a long time ago so maybe I just don't have the same affection for the stadium as others.

The Bernabeu 90s expansion is an obvious but good indication of what SJP would look like with an extended Gallowgate and steep but smaller main stand/East Stand. Its pretty confined too though not to Leazes terrace degrees.

Pictures 15, 20, 23 & 25 on this

https://en.as.com/en/2018/12/14/album/1544782485_297892.html

imagining pic20 as a good representation of an East Stand expansion and its effects. (I'm only after a few thousand extra, not a Milburn/Leazes size)

Edited by Wolfcastle