St James' Park

Delima

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Who are we groundsharing with when this happens, though?

The site is too access-restrictive to allow for serious redevelopment (as in a new ground)

No idea, but that feels solvable somehow if the rest of it can work (knowing the short term economics may be painful).

Aye, it’s a complete non-starter.  

No Sunderland administration would recover from the optics of it either.  It’s a death sentence for them with their fans.

We’ve seen the fallout from them giving us a section of their corporate.

Sunderland are a regional club, stuck in the lower leagues, this could be the lottery win they dreamed of, their owners couldn't give a shit, we all saw how easy they rolled over for us last season. Its easy money for them and they would probably get some free stadium upgrades chucked in.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Aye, it’s a complete non-starter.  

No Sunderland administration would recover from the optics of it either.  It’s a death sentence for them with their fans.

We’ve seen the fallout from them giving us a section of their corporate.

agreed.  The police would also have significant issues with it. We had to comply with the buses and ticket only on moving bus rules just to get one the away end there.  

To remain in the city centre the only real option appears to be Castle Leazes.

One in a generation cheque that they don’t want to write again is the clue. I think the East Stand is a write off in terms of development and don’t think an expansion of the Gallowgate future proofs the stadium to prevent another cheque being written down the line.

The who stadium needs refurbished it’s dated and poorly designed, 99% sure where moving at this point and it’s to be hoped the council/freemen make sure they stay in striking distance of city centre.

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

To remain in the city centre the only real option appears to be Castle Leazes.

One in a generation cheque that they don’t want to write again is the clue. I think the East Stand is a write off in terms of development and don’t think an expansion of the Gallowgate future proofs the stadium to prevent another cheque being written down the line.

The who stadium needs refurbished it’s dated and poorly designed, 99% sure where moving at this point and it’s to be hoped the council/freemen make sure they stay in striking distance of city centre.

Agreed - the East Stand can't be pushed any further back realistically, and whacking an extra tier on the Gallowgate would (if it is feasible with the Metro station) cost a hefty nine-figure sum for an extra c.8,000 of the cheapest seats in the ground.  It isn't cost-efficient.

The council / freeman have to do exactly what you've said - and Dolly and her weirdo 'Friends of the Moor' can get fucked.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Gateshead holds fewer than 12,000 people.  There is zero chance of the club building a new ground on the existing site.

It's not even that now. Council safety certificate only allows 7,000 in there these days. That's all they were allowed last pre season when they played us in a friendly. Grounsharing (with anyone) is definitely not an option.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

It's not even that now. Council safety certificate only allows 7,000 in there these days. That's all they were allowed last pre season when they played us in a friendly. Grounsharing (with anyone) is definitely not an option.

Yeah, that makes it even more unlikely.  It wouldn't be close to PL standards either way - everything would need work.

Getting the location right is important but also the capacity should also be an important consideration. I understand that some are against going with anything above 70,000 for fear that there will be empty seats because we won't be able to sell all the seats for every game. 

However, I'd think our owners will be thinking to build as big as possible and not for football purpose only. Imagine the various other sporting and non-sporting events that could be held at a new stadium. Revenue with a bigger capacity stadium would be something they'd consider I would think.

10 minutes ago, Tross said:

Needs to be in same location, anywhere else won't feel like home and we'll lose our identity. Fuck the NFL and fuck all the concerts, it's fine as it is. 

We'll still be Newcastle United if we're at Castle Leazes fwiw.

42 minutes ago, Tross said:

Needs to be in same location, anywhere else won't feel like home and we'll lose our identity. Fuck the NFL and fuck all the concerts, it's fine as it is. 

It's a no from me, unless we knock it down and start again. If that's not an option, Castle Leazes needs to happen.

If we want to compete, we need to move. An additional 5 minute walk is fuck all in the general scale of things.

17 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

Is this fucker still there? It's my turnstile and already takes ages to get in without this shit. 

It was on Saturday. It doesn't actually block getting in but will cause issues with all those who come up "Death Alley" This will be my 42nd year using that turnstile and my pre match superstitions of only using that one aren't going to be changed!

1 minute ago, east stander said:

It was on Saturday. It doesn't actually block getting in but will cause issues with all those who come up "Death Alley" This will be my 42nd year using that turnstile and my pre match superstitions of only using that one aren't going to be changed!

Found the reason we've won nowt in 42 years.

1 hour ago, Tross said:

Might as well leave it as it is if you want to give up on all ambition and accept we are as far as we can go as a club. Without increasing revenue we wont progress

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I was buzzing when @LFEEpointed out to me that you can use any turnstile you want. It's definitely the little things in life that see you through.

At the Sela Cup a guy stopped me and made me wait in a queue even though the next turnstile was empty. Literally stood guarding an empty turnstile while about 60 people queued for the one beside it. He was checking everyone's turnstile number. 

Assume they won't have time to do that for league games though. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

At the Sela Cup a guy stopped me and made me wait in a queue even though the next turnstile was empty. Literally stood guarding an empty turnstile while about 60 people queued for the one beside it. He was checking everyone's turnstile number. 

Assume they won't have time to do that for league games though. 

Sounds a reet jobsworth wanker.