St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve been in the East Stand once in my entire life - John Anderson’s testimonial.  Had STs in the Leazes and Milburn, always liked going into the Gallowgate. This also applies to pretty much every else I used to go to matches with - the East Stand is a place all of its own :)

(And we did win vs Ando’s XI)

I was at that one as well. Still got the programme in the loft. Think it was billed as NUFC v Ando's All Stars.

Thankfully we'd just escaped relegation to Division 3 the previous week!

4 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I was at that one as well. Still got the programme in the loft. Think it was billed as NUFC v Ando's All Stars.

Thankfully we'd just escaped relegation to Division 3 the previous week!

Bizarrely there was also an American Football game on the pitch prior to the match if i recall correctly?

1 hour ago, Cookie1892 said:

Bizarrely there was also an American Football game on the pitch prior to the match if i recall correctly?

I've honestly got no recollection of that whatsoever! Only thing I really remember from it was Basil Boli and Chris Waddle playing.

11 hours ago, Stifler said:

How?

If it is a SJP rebuild, it will be Sunderland. For as much as I believe they would pay £2bn-£3bn for a new stadium, I’m not convinced they would pay the hundreds of millions it would cost to buy/lease some land, and put up one of those temporary stadiums Qatar had for the World Cup.

As much as it wouldn’t be the fans 1st choice, I don’t think the club will allow that sentiment to overrule a temporary measure. Sunderland’s owners are not going to turn down the money of having a match there every weekend, possibly more if we are in Europe and go far in the cups.

Yes their fans will start saying that we are paying them rent and essentially buying them a new player or two, and that they took us in when we were homeless etc. However the end will justify the means.

I’m not convinced it will be a SJP rebuild though. I’m just not convinced the land is available around it. Even if we moved it south over the Metro station, we still have Barrack road to contend with considering we would need to move away from Leazes Terrace, and St James’ Terrace. The only option there would be to make Barrack Road 1 lane each way to try and get some more land that way.

I’m not sure we could convince the council to do that, especially if we are increasing the capacity significantly.

Regarding your doubts on temporary solution I’ve a funny feeling that was what Eales was hinting at when he said he couldn’t say too much but if the fans see what we’ve done with the Stack it would give an indication on our plans.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it. Just felt like he was hinting at a temporary ground whilst a new one was built.

Also don’t think the Council would object to less traffic in the centre with regards to changing Barrack Road. Anything that helps the Green Zone which it falls into they’ll approve. They might want to get rid of the road completely along with Strawberry Place even and come up with alternative routes for delivery access.

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Regarding your doubts on temporary solution I’ve a funny feeling that was what Eales was hinting at when he said he couldn’t say too much but if the fans see what we’ve done with the Stack it would give an indication on our plans.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it. Just felt like he was hinting at a temporary ground whilst a new one was built.

Also don’t think the Council would object to less traffic in the centre with regards to changing Barrack Road. Anything that helps the Green Zone which it falls into they’ll approve. They might want to get rid of the road completely along with Strawberry Place even and come up with alternative routes for delivery access.

There is absolutely no need for the Strawberry road behind the Gallowgate, especially on a match day when it’s closed in anyway.

5 minutes ago, Stifler said:

There is absolutely no need for the Strawberry road behind the Gallowgate, especially on a match day when it’s closed in anyway.

Exactly. I also think they could reduce or re-route/remove Barrack Road in that area.

12 minutes ago, Stifler said:

People forget that it was closed for at least a year when they were building the gallowgate in the 90s

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

I agree, but how would you get from the RVI to St James Boulevard ? 

You could easily keep emergency vehicle access along Strawberry Place if it involved a pedestrianised area adjacent to the ground. In fact you can usually improve emergency vehicle movement corridor by doing so. Unless you're meaning normal vehicle access?

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

A temporary ground wouldn’t cost much less than a new one - PIF is an investment fund, they’re not going to pour a couple of hundred million down the drain so that NUFC supporters don’t grumble for a season or so

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

You could easily keep emergency vehicle access along Strawberry Place if it involved a pedestrianised area adjacent to the ground. In fact you can usually improve emergency vehicle movement corridor by doing so. Unless you're meaning normal vehicle access?

Aye both, if that road was shut it would be a big detour 

Thinking about this

If we really want to be number 1 

We have to move from St James’ Park 

ideally 100 metres back into leazes park 

We can’t compete long term or ever with Man City / Man Utd / Real Madrid / Barcelona ……if we stay at St James park , even if we expand to 60/65k

If it’s true and we want to be the very best , we literally have to have a brand new stadium (70k +) to be an elite team and smash commercial revenue / co-operate etc 

We can’t spend hundreds of millions on an upgrade and fall short of being an elite club 

This decision is absolutely pivotal and a guide if we will be world class or just a big club (just below the elite) 

You can’t compete with Real Madrid , Barcelona, Man City , with an 6/8k expansion!

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

Thinking about this

If we really want to be number 1 

We have to move from St James’ Park 

ideally 100 metres back into leazes park 

We can’t compete long term or ever with Man City / Man Utd / Real Madrid / Barcelona ……if we stay at St James park , even if we expand to 60/65k

If it’s true and we want to be the very best , we literally have to have a brand new stadium (70k +) to be an elite team and smash commercial revenue / co-operate etc 

We can’t spend hundreds of millions on an upgrade and fall short of being an elite club 

This decision is absolutely pivotal and a guide if we will be world class or just a big club (just below the elite) 

You can’t compete with Real Madrid , Barcelona, Man City , with an 6/8k expansion!

100% - and it is why that when we do find out the plans, then we'll know what the owners' intentions are (more than any words they can utter).  A state-of-the-art super stadium would be a statement of intent

10 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

Never mind that we are languishing miles behind Spurs, especially with only adding 8000 'cheap' seats. Vast improvements to commercial income via a new stadium is essential if we want to join the big boys club fulltime

4 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Never mind that we are languishing miles behind Spurs, especially with only adding 8000 'cheap' seats. Vast improvements to commercial income via a new stadium is essential if we want to join the big boys club fulltime

Next season Everton will have a better stadium than us.

If Villa go back to their expansion, they will have a stadium that is at least on par with us.

West Ham may not have a better stadium than us, but they have a bigger capacity one that can get London ticket/food/drinks prices.

A simple stick a level 7 on top of the Gallowgate end is not really an option.

I’m not convinced that we would get a temporary stadium, however I am convinced that if we do stay at SJP, we’ll have a total rebuild.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

If Villa go back to their expansion, they will have a stadium that is at least on par with us.

West Ham may not have a better stadium than us, but they have a bigger capacity one that can get London ticket/food/drinks prices.

I’m not convinced that we would get a temporary stadium, however I am convinced that if we do stay at SJP, we’ll have a total rebuild.

And none of the costs involved

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

But..but..but some of our fans don't want us to lose our history and identity....and would rather the club be stuck on the same pot of.land forever.