Glenn Roeder

Guest TheOrder
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think the big test for Roeder is this summer

If he didnt manage to streghten the squad as it should be we all can say then that he failed at this

Little unfair to say he has completely failed but so far he is certainly in the "could try harder" category!

Aye.So far he didnt fail completely but in the summer if we didnt sign at least a new LB i'll be pissed

Except the manager will decide which positions to fill and who he wants to fill them. He may be happy with Babayaro and he may think Duff can play there as well.  Bernard MAY return to full fitness, only Roeder and the club's staff will know those things.

If we lose Emre plus any other players that right now we don't expect to leave the priorities may change. We still need at least one striker plus a good attacking central midfielder imo.

Ameobi

Oba

Owen

Sib

Dyer

IMO this is enough

IMO it isn't.

If fit what's wrong with Bernard?

If it was 4 years ago nothing but right now im not so sure he can do the job.He didnt play at the top level for i dont how long...

And why do u think we need another striker?

IMO our priorities in the summer should be top defender(Curtis Davies),LB(Bridge?),CM(Giles Barnes),maybe another CM if Emre leaves

Bernard left the club in 2005.

We only have 2 real PL quality strikers, Owen and Martins.

We have zero,thats 0=zero quality LB

If he didnt manage to streghten the squad as it should be we all can say then that he failed at this

Little unfair to say he has completely failed but so far he is certainly in the "could try harder" category!

Aye.So far he didnt fail completely but in the summer if we didnt sign at least a new LB i'll be pissed

Except the manager will decide which positions to fill and who he wants to fill them. He may be happy with Babayaro and he may think Duff can play there as well.  Bernard MAY return to full fitness, only Roeder and the club's staff will know those things.

If we lose Emre plus any other players that right now we don't expect to leave the priorities may change. We still need at least one striker plus a good attacking central midfielder imo.

Ameobi

Oba

Owen

Sib

Dyer

IMO this is enough

IMO it isn't.

If it was 4 years ago nothing but right now im not so sure he can do the job.He didnt play at the top level for i dont how long...

IMO our priorities in the summer should be top defender(Curtis Davies),LB(Bridge?),CM(Giles Barnes),maybe another CM if Emre leaves

I don't agree.

Man, i'd love to bite. :lol:

he needs a good bite on the arse

- and how do you put these smillies into posts first time ? I keep getting "quick reply"

In "Look, Layout and Preferences" there is an option "Use quick reply on topic display":

Select the option you want from the pulldown.

Ameobi

Oba

Owen

Sib

Dyer

IMO this is enough

IMO it isn't.

I don't agree.

With what you dont agree?

Babayaro=injury prone,when he is fit he is no more than average

Bernard=he hasnt played in a top level for 2 years or more

Guest TampaToon

you've gotta wait until season's end to really weigh in, but i'm more than happy with the job he's doing....obviously we're trying to win every game we can this year, but i think the biggest thing he's done is taken the club forward immensely off the pitch

-focus on improved training techniques (technology, conditioning methods)

-emphasis on the academy

-as unfortunate as the last 2 windows have been, it's clear that we're nobody's mugs in the transfer market anymore: no more panic buys or big-name trainwrecks, no more "special newcastle price"

-team chemistry is incredible, this squad believes in one another no matter who's on the pitch or what the situation is.

-handling of young players, be it the future stars like taylor, milner, and n'zogbia or the future squad players like edgar, huntington, and pattison.

as i've said before, whether he keeps his job or not, he's managed the team as if he's not fearing for his job, and will leave the next manager with a much better Newcastle United than the one he walked into.

throw in the injury crisis and you've got to say he has a way with this team that allows him to get more out of them than all but the elite managers would have gotten out of them....i can't say i see an allardyce, o'neill, redknapp, or any of the other realistic names being bandied about at the time of his hiring having gotten more effort and success out of this team in the face of such adversity

Newcastle United owes Roeder a debt no matter where we finish this year

Guest Stephen927

He's done a very good job in the circumstances, been a bit unlucky with injuries but he's been very lucky with some results that have gone our way.

Transfer market and use of substitutions are where he could improve. Everything else is OK IMO.

Transfer market depends on the availablity of players Roeder wants at a price the club can afford to pay and who are prepared to sign. Does it not?

Roeder is at fault when he isn't targetting certain players though, players who would improve our team moved during the transfer windows who I think we would have had a chance in getting (like Campbell).

you never give up do you ? This isn't Championship manager Jon.

You can keep coming up with excuses but people arent buying it. Roeder himself has ruled out quality players and then failed to bring in improvements. How is this not a failure?

Transfer market and use of substitutions are where he could improve. Everything else is OK IMO.

Transfer market depends on the availablity of players Roeder wants at a price the club can afford to pay and who are prepared to sign. Does it not?

Roeder is at fault when he isn't targetting certain players though, players who would improve our team moved during the transfer windows who I think we would have had a chance in getting (like Campbell).

You can keep coming up with excuses but people arent buying it. Roeder himself has ruled out quality players and then failed to bring in improvements. How is this not a failure?

I think when you say "people" you should look beyond the responses on a message board, no offence to anyone intended, but there are many thousands of people who don't look at message boards.

Roeder used the clubs money - ie the budget he was given - to target and buy 2 quality players, namely Martins and Duff.

How is this "failure". These were HIS targets, and brought in to play in areas of the team where HE thought they would be valuable additions to the club.

Why do you also think he could, and should, have spent more, when the money wasn't there. There are enough people on here telling us - correctly - that the club has limited funds at the moment for you not to see this and realise it.

I think when you say "people" you should look beyond the responses on a message board, no offence to anyone intended, but there are many thousands of people who don't look at message boards.

Roeder used the clubs money - ie the budget he was given - to target and buy 2 quality players, namely Martins and Duff.

How is this "failure". These were HIS targets, and brought in to play in areas of the team where HE thought they would be valuable additions to the club.

Why do you also think he could, and should, have spent more, when the money wasn't there. There are enough people on here telling us - correctly - that the club has limited funds at the moment for you not to see this and realise it.

Signing Duff for £5m when it was clear to see we needed at least one defender much much more was a bad error.

I do realise it and its the reason I think spending £5m on a left winger was stupid when we don't have any quality left backs, didnt have any quality right backs, could do with another striker and another centre back.

His plan clearly did fail which was shown when we had failed bids for about 3 players on the last day of the window and only managed to get the one player in January despite him being "confident" of getting more.

Keep blabbing on about Champion Manager etc.. though  :thup:

I do realise it and its the reason I think spending £5m on a left winger was stupid when we don't have any quality left backs, didnt have any quality right backs, could do with another striker and another centre back.

His plan clearly did fail which was shown when we had failed bids for about 3 players on the last day of the window and only managed to get the one player in January despite him being "confident" of getting more.

Keep blabbing on about Champion Manager etc.. though  :thup:

That is YOUR opinion.

Unfortunately, YOU are not the manager, Roeder is, and HE decided that buying a proven quality player with his best years ahead of him, who wanted to play for us, choosing us before Liverpool, bearing in mind that Zoggy is young and Solano is knocking on 30, was good business and - like it or not - forward thinking.

You can grumble on as much as you like about the club not getting its number 1 choices, whatever that means, but in the real world, very few clubs do. And he DID want Martins and Duff, so he got HIS players that HE wanted.

And - whats more, I agree with him. He was absolutely correct.

Lastly, the club has limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that you have came to expect from a shite board. You will have to accept that for the time being.

- and how do you put these smillies into posts first time ? I keep getting "quick reply"

Right click quote and open it that way. :)

turn it off in your profile

I don't want to lose quick reply for the sake of the odd smilie.

I don't want to lose quick reply for the sake of the odd smilie.

So keep it on but turn it off default, don't see the problem tbh, proper reply takes about 0.00001 seconds to load

Satisfactory from me. He might still be able to turn it around... but that remains to be seen. He has his own style that I admit to not liking, but if he does a job and gets us sustained Euro involvement and perhaps even the holy grail (silverware) then he should stick around to see if his long term plans work.

I remember people not being very happy with SBR in his second season - we finsihed 11th again and people were not pleased. He had signed only a couple of players, papering over the cracks was a favourite expression at the time, we had cronic injuries in Cort, Dunc, and Dyer and seemed to be going nowhere. Maybe we are again only a couple of new players away from making real progress and maybe we already have those couple of players and we just need them to come back from injury.

I am much happier now than at any time that Souness was manager.

I went for below par, I might change my mind later as the last two games have gone well for us, we've done OK against Liverpool and last night looked like a walk in the park.  My fear is that this might just be a blip and we'll get beat the next time we play a team who we expect to beat in the league.  Liverpool was a game you'd expect the players to motivate themselves for and last night was against a team who looked as if they didn't expect to win.

Time will tell, I'd like to see him change my mind.