Glenn Roeder

Guest TheOrder
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I do realise it and its the reason I think spending £5m on a left winger was stupid when we don't have any quality left backs, didnt have any quality right backs, could do with another striker and another centre back.

His plan clearly did fail which was shown when we had failed bids for about 3 players on the last day of the window and only managed to get the one player in January despite him being "confident" of getting more.

Keep blabbing on about Champion Manager etc.. though  :thup:

That is YOUR opinion.

Unfortunately, YOU are not the manager, Roeder is, and HE decided that buying a proven quality player with his best years ahead of him, who wanted to play for us, choosing us before Liverpool, bearing in mind that Zoggy is young and Solano is knocking on 30, was good business and - like it or not - forward thinking.

You can grumble on as much as you like about the club not getting its number 1 choices, whatever that means, but in the real world, very few clubs do. And he DID want Martins and Duff, so he got HIS players that HE wanted.

And - whats more, I agree with him. He was absolutely correct.

Lastly, the club has limited funds, or limited funds by the standards and expectations that you have came to expect from a shite board. You will have to accept that for the time being.

We can start "forward" thinking when we have quality players in all positions. its fucking stupid buying cover when you don't even have enough quality players for a first 11!

Just my opinion of course!

So if a quality keeper becomes available in the summer shall we splash a third of our budget on them? Considering Given, Harper and Krul have all had injury problems this season it might be a good idea...

The reality is that he will know which areas of the team he wants to strengthen, he will target certain individuals for those areas and he will bring in whoever is available from that list that the club can afford, that the selling club is prepared to sell at an acceptable and realistic price and who wants to come here and play for this club.

This may not be who you and some others want but it won't mean he's failed.

Generally I think he's done very well so far, and I'll add he wouldn't have been my choice. To suggest he's done less than a decent job is plain daft right now given the circumstances.

Well imo he has failed in the transfer market. He hasn't filled positions we desperately needed players in and spent money from a limited budget on players who can only be described as a luxury in the position we were/are in.

There isnt an excuse to say players werent available as players who would have done the job moved in that time, he was too fussy and too hesitant.

Exactly. There's no excuse. He could have signed Campbell & Lauren for a combined £500k...he still honestly believes he was right not to do either. And the £5m spent on Duff could easily have signed us a top class left-back, and there you'd have had a brand spanking new defence.

I love the argument that because Roeder chose what he chose to do he hasn't failed. Its like saying Martins has two options in a penalty, 1 he can try and place it into the bottom corner or 2, he can try and blast it in. He goes option 2 and it goes miles over but he hasn't failed because he did what he wanted to do.

The reality is that he will know which areas of the team he wants to strengthen, he will target certain individuals for those areas and he will bring in whoever is available from that list that the club can afford, that the selling club is prepared to sell at an acceptable and realistic price and who wants to come here and play for this club.

Generally I think he's done very well so far, and I'll add he wouldn't have been my choice. To suggest he's done less than a decent job is plain daft right now given the circumstances.

So Souness didn't fail when he signed Boumsong, Faye, Babayaro, Moore and Parker then?

So Souness didn't fail when he signed Boumsong, Faye, Babayaro, Moore and Parker then?

Same concept, would be interesting to see the answer.

Guest redmayne

aside from that the football has also ben diabolical at times

what gets me more is why freddie shepherd appointed him i know he had a good run but he said it was the most important decision for us in years

and you are telling me that glenn roeder is the main man for us???!?!!? kill shepherd

pay roeder off....

Exactly. There's no excuse. He could have signed Campbell & Lauren for a combined £500k...he still honestly believes he was right not to do either. And the £5m spent on Duff could easily have signed us a top class left-back, and there you'd have had a brand spanking new defence.

Campbell and Lauren are both the wrong side of 30 and both signed multi-year contracts at Portsmouth. Who's to say either player will be the same player they are now in a few years and then everyone will be moaning in a few years when they are useless and we can't get rid of them.

I'd rather wait until the end of the season and bring in a good, young RB then bring in Lauren. As for CB we have Onyewu who looks very solid and is 6/7 years younger than Campbell.

Same concept, would be interesting to see the answer.

you forgot Luque. YOu also seem to be forgetting the total transfer fee of that little lot, and the fall from 5th to 14th as a result.

Guest Knightrider

Doing a superb job given the circumstances and deserves a second chance if you like next season, unless we can get a much much better manager in, which I don't think we can otherwise he wouldn't be in charge today.

Guest Knightrider

i disagree that we couldn't get a better manager in - i don't think we particularly tried.

He's a very poor manager, for me, who makes some extremely poor choices. Having him as manager of NUFC is a bit embarassing, tbh.

Restated then: I don't think the board can therefore we won't.

I don't see why you should feel embarrassed either, that's just daft that. If we were Man Utd, then aye, but we aren't and we won't ever get there if we keep chopping and changing. Roeder could well get us to qualify for Europe again which is a far cry from where we were heading under Souness, lets take things at a time and see where we are when the dust is settled, then look higher. Anyway it is Shearer next and at this stage, we don't know whether he would be any better than Roeder and I'm not willing to gamble on that just now.

Campbell and Lauren are both the wrong side of 30 and both signed multi-year contracts at Portsmouth. Who's to say either player will be the same player they are now in a few years and then everyone will be moaning in a few years when they are useless and we can't get rid of them.

I'd rather wait until the end of the season and bring in a good, young RB then bring in Lauren. As for CB we have Onyewu who looks very solid and is 6/7 years younger than Campbell.

Thats some good short-term thinking on the CB front. As for players being useless and we can't get rid of them, well, we only have one CB (pre - and possibly post - who knows, Gooch) who DOESN'T fall into this category.

i disagree that we couldn't get a better manager in - i don't think we particularly tried.

He's a very poor manager, for me, who makes some extremely poor choices. Having him as manager of NUFC is a bit embarassing, tbh.

Restated then: I don't think the board can therefore we won't.

I don't see why you should feel embarrassed either, that's just daft that. If we were Man Utd, then aye, but we aren't and we won't ever get there if we keep chopping and changing. Roeder could well get us to qualify for Europe again which is a far cry from where we were heading under Souness, lets take things at a time and see where we are when the dust is settled, then look higher. Anyway it is Shearer next and at this stage, we don't know whether he would be any better than Roeder and I'm not willing to gamble on that just now.

Its embarassing because we are NUFC, effectively a 3rd tier Premiership club, with a Championship manager (not the game, natch). I don't think Roeder will get us into Europe proper, really.

As for Shearer, thats a recurring fear, isn't it.

Campbell was a risk - he was a headcase last year who walked out on Arse's training and games and when his agent came sniffing around Newcastle it was with the intention of keeping him on the 100k a week he was earning. It wasn't until we said no that his wages suddenly halved and he started speaking to Pompey.

Many people thought Campbell was worth the risk at the time - I didn't and it would seem Roeder didn't either.

how is NUFC a third teir club, even at this point? We're 9th in the table and haven't been able to put out a consistent starting 11 (forget about a best starting 11) all year.  We still have owen to return, and considering the circumstances, NUFC is in a decent position right now.

Guest Knightrider

I'm willing to give Roeder the benefit of the doubt regarding his failure in the transfer market both in the summer and New Year, he has it all to do this summer though and I'm far from convinced. As ever, with most managers, what he does or doesn't do in the transfer market will make or break him. He needs to find a few Martins for the defence and midfield.

Guest Knightrider

I don't believe we are a third tier club, I believe we are a mid-table club with the potential to be a top 4 club and beyond, we have been a mid-table club for nearly a decade now, since KK left, our average final league finishes of 8th indicate this. We are no different to the likes of Spurs, Villa and Everton really, only we've spent shit loads more, and signed bigger named players, as well as qualified for Europe more... mostly though the back door I might add. It is wrong to see us as a top club, because we aren't and to look at us as one is delusional in the least. The potential is there, but until we can find a manager to tap into that ala KK and SBR to a lesser extent, nowt is going to change. Our aims and ambitions are UEFA Cup football for the time being and whether you rate him or not, like him or not, Roeder has us in the last 16 (barring a disaster) and on course for another campaign next season if we finish the season well, this despite never being able to train with (i.e. coach) or select from his strongest side since he took over first as a caretaker and now as full-time manager. Not bad given the circumstances.

how is NUFC a third teir club, even at this point? We're 9th in the table and haven't been able to put out a consistent starting 11 (forget about a best starting 11) all year.  We still have owen to return, and considering the circumstances, NUFC is in a decent position right now.

Lets not fucking pretend we have half a team waiting on the injury list to come back in, or that even the "best" team Roeder thinks he has is anywhere near good enough.

For me, there are 4 tiers in the Premiership, and we are in the third tier. We're a decent, average-sizd club with a very poor squad.