Martins - 2 left feet!

Cajun

Guest BigAl2

Kuyt is a fantastic team player and I know it's only dreaming but I think a Kuyt-Martins partnership would be excellent.

Kuyt is a fantastic team player and I know it's only dreaming but I think a Kuyt-Martins partnership would be excellent.

True, but I must imagine he would be quite useless and unexciting on a team without other halfway decent attackers to support him (i.e: us)

we dodged a bullett with kuyt i think....in our side he'd have been little more than average, if that...martins is outscoring him in an average team (one that was relegation threatened at one point) and he's made a lot of his own goals, he ain't just tapping 'em in

the boys magic and i'm happy to see he seems (currently) to appreciate where he is and who he's playing for - was reading something recently (ah the sibierski article i think) where they told how martins is driven by never forgetting where he came from, the poverty he grew up with

now that can obviously go two ways; one he'll be off at the first sign of interest from anyone who'll pay him more money than us, or two he'll realise he's being paid very well and stick with the club that took the chance on him and become a hero

i hope to f*ck it's the latter

Said this before but one thing I reckon we have going for us is Martins has seen what its like to be a small fish in a big pond and didn't like it, as long as we progress I think he would prefer being the big fish in the small pond.

He's f****** the worst player I've ever seen score 16 goals in a season.  He can't control a ball and he has no f****** brain whatsoever.  But, he scores goals.  Somehow.

Utter bollox-and just to prove you 100% wrong ,didn't Marlon Harewood score that quantity of goals in a season.

Said this before but one thing I reckon we have going for us is Martins has seen what its like to be a small fish in a big pond and didn't like it, as long as we progress I think he would prefer being the big fish in the small pond.

it's always a funny one that isn't it?  people harp on about players having to win this and win that but the truly great players don't need it behind them, in my opinion

history remembers jimmy greaves but he won a lot less than many of his generation....history will remember alan shearer rather than andy cole with all his judas tin pots and pieces of silver

(i know there are plenty of counters to this example but winning trophy's has never MADE a player i can remember)

suppose it comes down to the character of the man in the end and hopefully martins will be a shearer and not an andy cole

I wanted us to get Kuyt, and still think he's a quality player (work rate, strength, team work...), but Martins is looking more and more like he could be something very special. Really looking forward to seeing how things go with Owen or Shola next to him.

Shame he missed that one on one though - something for Owen to help him with.

Guest Knightrider

He was excellent last night, his first-touch, awareness, strength, control and his movement all very good - proving he can do it. Consistency is his issue but he is still young and will improve. BTW Teasy, all players whether great or otherwise will do things wrong in a game like make the wrong pass, make the wrong move, lose the ball etc. Henry often does it as does Gerrard, it is all about limiting those errors in his game and I think he has the desire to learn and the skills to overcome those minor issues in his game. His movement for his second goal was superb, the way he first lost the defender and the way he basically made up Nobby's mind to pull it back, and a cool finish too with his so-called weaker foot. He tired towards the end as did a good few but then he did put himself about. He's a cracking player, long may his form and improvement continue.

Can't wait to see him link up with Owen. It's becoming more and more clear that Oba likes to come deep at times and use his pace to carry the ball - I think he'll be a great partner for Mickey.

If all we buy in the summer is a backup stirker and a couple of fullbacks, we'll have a much better season to look forward to - Glenn's job is easy!

Needs to be sold as soon as possible. Fast turning Tyneside into gayland.

:lol:

I can't agree with some of the depictions of him in this thread. Maybe there are a few issues with him, inconsistency and such, but this idea that he has an awful first touch, that he's a poor passer and has the brain of an idiot (along with all the rest) is just wrong, as far as I'm concerned. Often times, ideas he has don't come off because the players around him are too slow to cooperate, in fact, whilst his first touch and passing (and first touch passing) frequently wreck a defensive formation. That second goal of his was a first touch shot, for good measure.

i wonder if it isn't all a little too easy for oba, and that's why he misses where you'd expect him to convert or make the killer pass (wasn't dyer open "for a tap-in" when oba tried to meg the keeper?) ...he's setting himself some challenges.  i can imagine him thinking sort of, "well, i know i can easily take it around the keeper here, but won't it just be the talk of the tyne if i get my hattrick through a nutmeg!  oh, good pun there oba...bollocks now it's not gone in."

would explain his penalty miss as well...

Guest Knightrider

i wonder if it isn't all a little too easy for oba, and that's why he misses where you'd expect him to convert or make the killer pass (wasn't dyer open "for a tap-in" when oba tried to meg the keeper?) ...he's setting himself some challenges.  i can imagine him thinking sort of, "well, i know i can easily take it around the keeper here, but won't it just be the talk of the tyne if i get my hattrick through a nutmeg!  oh, good pun there oba...bollocks now it's not gone in."

would explain his penalty miss as well...

Composure. He'll become more composed in time, just like Bellamy did and even Dyer who couldn't hit a barn door a few years back, but noticeably as he gets older, composes himself more these days. Martins is young and eager to excite and to do the business, he's like a jack in the box just waiting to pop up. This can be seen in his movement, his passing and his general play not just his shooting.

Guest Morph

He's f****** the worst player I've ever seen score 16 goals in a season.  He can't control a ball and he has no f****** brain whatsoever.  But, he scores goals.  Somehow.

Utter bollox-and just to prove you 100% wrong ,didn't Marlon Harewood score that quantity of goals in a season.

In the Prem?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

gutted for him he didn't get his hat trick last night. If he had, that match would go down as a classic.

I THINK its 8 left, 6 right and 2 head?

Also his variation of strikes are good, power strikes left and right foot, lifts over the keeper, headers.

Scored two cracking goals last night.

Obafemi Martins second goal reminded me of Patrick Kluivert famous goal in Euro 2000 against France i think it was, where he sucked the defender into the 6 yard area then cleverly pulled back 6 yards and fired the shot into the bottom corner masterful movement.

The funny thing is he actually moved the ball onto his weaker foot to score :lol:

That's great actually, most strikers are very easy to read, as you know they will always go right if right-footed and left if left-footed. With Martins, you never know.

Yep and a lot of players will narrow down the angles because they are trying to get it onto their stronger foot so decrease their chance of putting it away. Its a huge asset being soo two footed.