Champions League class?!

sempuki

Champions class Toon

Mar 11 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Az Alkmaar star Nourdin Boukhari has hailed Newcastle as a "Champions League team".

Reflecting on United's 4-2 first-leg win in midweek, midfielder Boukhari rates them better than any side AZ have faced this season.

But the second-half penalty that the Dutch outfit scored at St James's Park will prove decisive in Thursday's return game in Holland, he insists.

"We are analysing the result positively because everything looked terrible in the first half," said Boukhari.

"I believed that we were in for a big defeat.

"Newcastle played well. We made it hard for them in the end but they were like a Champions League team - far better than Fenerbahce or Ajax.

"But with our fans behind us, scoring two goals against them at home is very likely.

"We need to improve defensively, because Newcastle are very strong in attack. But I want and expect a magical European night."

Guest Ridzuan

Nice to see him saying good things about our club but I still think we are still far from being a champions league team.Its their poor performance that made us look like we are a champions league team.

if the guy watched us in the premiership week in week out he probably would not have made those comments.just bugs me why roeder cannot get us performing consistently in our domestic league but in europe we look like a different team who look more suited to euro football.

Nice to see him saying good things about our club but I still think we are still far from being a champions league team.Its their poor performance that made us look like we are a champions league team.

I dont agree with that at all, in that first half we played really well and it wasnt down to them playing badly!

Guest Knightrider

Martins, Nobby, Duff (on his day), Dyer (on his day), Parker, Butt, Given, Emre and Owen (if fit) are all good enough to perform in the Champions League to a reasonable standard, however the team itself comes well short of Champions League class and would I fear, be found seriously wanting at that level.

Martins, Nobby, Duff (on his day), Dyer (on his day), Parker, Butt, Given, Emre and Owen (if fit) are all good enough to perform in the Champions League to a reasonable standard, however the team itself comes well short of Champions League class and would I fear, be found seriously wanting at that level.

i guess you could add bramble to that list as well to be honest since on his day he is actually a quality CB. just doesnt have those days often. Our biggest problem is that most of the time its only really one player at a time in our team thats "on his day"

Note you haven't mentioned one defender there.

i guess you could add bramble to that list as well to be honest since on his day he is actually a quality CB. just doesnt have those days often. Our biggest problem is that most of the time its only really one player at a time in our team thats "on his day"

I think Bramble normally does better in Europe.

Wow I've agreed with HTT twice on the same day!!!

Thinking about it, for a team with such solid names in midfield and attack- we aint half shit.

Aye we've had some great performances in Europe over the years and Bramble's played an integral role. The question is can he go through 6 Europeans games without a costly clanger?

Aye we've had some great performances in Europe over the years and Bramble's played an integral role. The question is can he go through 6 Europeans games without a costly clanger?

how many games has he gone at the moment without making a mistake? hes been playing really well lately!