AZ Alkmaar vs Newcastle United - Pre match thread

Guest smoggeordie

Given

Solano Taylor Bramble Edgar

Parker  Butt

Dyer         Emre          Duff

Martins

job done tbh.

thing is roeder wont play edgar, he'll be thinking if edgar makes a mistake and we go out it'll end him.

He will go with the age old Butt infront of the backfour lineup I reckon

--------------Given

Nobby--Taylor--Bramble--Carr

---------------Butt

Milner--Dyer-----Parker---Duff

-------------Martins

Never change your team is a great concept, but do oyu have faith that the same starting 11 can go away and get a result? all they need is a 2-0 are we are out.

Need a more solid midfield with a faster attack.

Aye i agree with you

Butt and Parker give us the solid midfield

Dyer can give us the fast atack too playing at RM

When he plays with Martins upfront they lose the ball too easy and cant link very well

Sibby showed in the first match that he can assist too

He and Martins look very good together and Sibby always knows where to find Martins

I'd go with:

Given

Solano Taylor Bramble Edgar

Dyer Butt Emre Milner

Sibierski Martins

Glenn will probaly play Parker, Carr & Duff though.

Prediction: AZ Alkmaar 3-1 Newcastle United.

Guest Knightrider

I'd play the same team, in the same system, and use the same tactics, i.e. pressing play, lots of short, sharp passing up top, with a high line at the back, play agressively too. They will be far more open at their own ground than they were at ours, as they have to attack us which will leave only more holes in their already shocking defence for us to exploit. If we sit back we'll isolate our strikers and concede the tie, which is what I fear we will do, but hope we don't because really, AZ are there for the taking. If we use our heads, we could score a similar amount of goals, if we don't, it could be them who notch a few.

will Onyewu be illegible for all our european games? or will he be able to be registered say if we get to the semi final? not sure how it works? I know that there is 2 times to register players i believe but not sure if thats right

the only possible change is likely to be dyer up front/in the hole with milner on the right,bringing emre on as needs be.

keep it as it was for me......i'll bet no other team could put 4 possible left sided attacking minded players on the bench(emre,n'zog,o'brien and erm......luque)

Would be tempted to go..

Given

Solano    Taylor    Bramble  Hunts/Edgar

Butt

Dyer*      Parker      Emre      Milner

Martins

*Not a strict winger though, more freedom to move about.

This way we have creativity in the side with Dyer, Martins, Emre and Milner as attacking players but Emre and Milner have a good battle in them and Milner would work hard in front of the left back. Parker wouldn't be in a strict DM role but I would have him still playing a little deeper in a kind of defensive free role (if that makes sense). Dyer joining up with Martins on attack but falling back into midfield when we are on the back foot.

Bit harsh dropping sib after last week and don't want to play too negative but I think we need to keep it as tight as possible and as said we still have plenty of attacking players in there as long as Dyer has the legs to support Martins and help out when needed cutting their attacking options down the right.

Would be tempted to go..

Given

Butt

Martins

This way we have creativity in the side with Dyer, Martins, Emre and Milner as attacking players but Emre and Milner have a good battle in them and Milner would work hard in front of the left back. Parker wouldn't be in a strict DM role but I would have him still playing a little deeper in a kind of defensive free role (if that makes sense). Dyer joining up with Martins on attack but falling back into midfield when we are on the back foot.

Bit harsh dropping sib after last week and don't want to play too negative but I think we need to keep it as tight as possible and as said we still have plenty of attacking players in there as long as Dyer has the legs to support Martins and help out when needed cutting their attacking options down the right.

Duff and Zoggy both fit and you play Milner wide left, brave very brave. :D

Would be tempted to go..

Given

Butt

Martins

Duff and Zoggy both fit and you play Milner wide left, brave very brave. :D

however he has been our least worst left sided option this season........but i wouldn't!

Seen the odds on this match??

Newcastle 2 - 0  18/1

Newcastle 2 - 1  14/1

Newcastle 3 - 0  66/1

Newcastle 3 - 1  50/1

Newcastle 3 - 2  50/1

or for those with less faith but think we may still go through

AZ Alkmaar 1 - 0  5/1

AZ Alkmaar 2 - 1  7/1

AZ Alkmaar 4 - 2  40/1

OR

Newcastle in Extra Time  125/1

Newcastle by Penalties  150/1 

HATRICKS

Shota Arveladze  25/1 

Danny Koevermans 28/1

Antoine Sibierski 33/1

Kieron Dyer 33/1

Moussa Dembele 40/1

Obafemi Martins 40/1

Martins 40/1 and Dyer and Sib are 33/1. seems strange.

Seen the odds on this match??

Newcastle 2 - 0  18/1

Newcastle 2 - 1  14/1

Newcastle 3 - 0  66/1

Newcastle 3 - 1  50/1

Newcastle 3 - 2  50/1

or for those with less faith but think we may still go through

AZ Alkmaar 1 - 0  5/1

AZ Alkmaar 2 - 1  7/1

AZ Alkmaar 4 - 2  40/1

OR

Newcastle in Extra Time  125/1

Newcastle by Penalties  150/1 

HATRICKS

Shota Arveladze  25/1 

Danny Koevermans 28/1

Antoine Sibierski 33/1

Kieron Dyer 33/1

Moussa Dembele 40/1

Obafemi Martins 40/1

Martins 40/1 and Dyer and Sib are 33/1. seems strange.

which bookies ?  i notice bet 365(through oddschecker) have shola at 2/1 anytime scorer in that match ;D

For the starting line I think Roeder is only contemplating playing Kieron Dyer just off Obafemi Martins, can't see him changing much else due to the teams performance against AZ Alkmaar in the home tie last week, can't see Emre or N'Zogbia returning or returns to left back for Huntington or Edgar.

Given

Solano    Taylor    Bramble   Carr

Parker     Butt

Milner                               Duff

Dyer

Martins

Subs- Sibierski, Luque, N'Zogbia, Emre, Huntington, Edger, Harper.

could have a strong bench for Thursday.

Prediction- Az Alkmaar 2 v 2 Newcastle United