Martins' Worth?

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Harry-Norway

NICE PICTURE?WE MET OBA AFTER THE EVERTON GAME,MY 2 BOYS ARE TOONFANS FOR LIFE,LIKE DADDY:

AGAIN;OBA IS NOT FOR SALE;SELL SHOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great quotes from Martins in the paper this morning, feels like everyone is positive at the minute, hope we carry it on against Reading:

"I'm very happy and settled at Newcastle, I don't take any notice of the stories saying I'll leave," Martins said in the Daily Express.

"And if Sam Allardyce is here for five years I will be here for five years as well.

"That is how much I enjoy playing for him. I don't think I'll be going anywhere while Sam is here.

"I'm scoring goals and I'm playing games, that's all you can ask for as a striker."

"It wasn't that easy when I first came to Newcastle and it took me a few months to learn about the Premier League, about England and living in Newcastle.

"I had to adapt to the style of football and it took me some time, but I'm very happy here."

Great quotes from Martins in the paper this morning, feels like everyone is positive at the minute, hope we carry it on against Reading:

"I'm very happy and settled at Newcastle, I don't take any notice of the stories saying I'll leave," Martins said in the Daily Express.

"And if Sam Allardyce is here for five years I will be here for five years as well.

"That is how much I enjoy playing for him. I don't think I'll be going anywhere while Sam is here.

"I'm scoring goals and I'm playing games, that's all you can ask for as a striker."

"It wasn't that easy when I first came to Newcastle and it took me a few months to learn about the Premier League, about England and living in Newcastle.

"I had to adapt to the style of football and it took me some time, but I'm very happy here."

Bonus, i hope he's here for 5 years as well.

Legend  O0

Thats a great sign of Big Sams man-management skills given that he's dropped Oba on more than one occasion this season.

Very promising. Just hope England don't come calling when the inevitable happens to Mclaren.

he still doesnt get as much credit as he should, if it was owen bringing the ball down like martins does it would be mentioned all over and if owen scored goals like martins, even players like berbatov, drogba ... they all get credit for their goals and how they play but martins hardly ever does

Guest icemanblue

he still doesnt get as much credit as he should, if it was owen bringing the ball down like martins does it would be mentioned all over and if owen scored goals like martins, even players like berbatov, drogba ... they all get credit for their goals and how they play but martins hardly ever does

That's very true.  I can't get my head around why, with the goals he's scored, he's not talked about as one of the best in the Premier League. If he was playing for Arsenal he'd more than likely be 'the new Henry'.

That's very true.  I can't get my head around why, with the goals he's scored, he's not talked about as one of the best in the Premier League. If he was playing for Arsenal he'd more than likely be 'the new Henry'.

Aye, he is very similar to Henry, like. :idiot2:

Guest icemanblue

I didn't say he was. I said if he played Arsenal, he'd be talked about in those terms. 

All this from Oba still won't stop the tits in the media speculating about him leaving us, no matter how many times he says he is happy and wants to be here, same thing with Owen.

All we have to do is ignore the press and listen to what our players say!!

He is getting better and better game by game and we are very lucky to have him.

I didn't say he was. I said if he played Arsenal, he'd be talked about in those terms. 

I'm not sure he would, tbh. He has a happy knack for scoring goals, but that doesn't make the obvious flaws in his game disappear. Even if he played for Arsenal.

Guest icemanblue

I have to say, if he played for Arsenal and Adebayor played for us, I know which would be being raved about.

Doesn't matter anyway like, he's ours!  :smitten:

Exactly my point.  Not neccessarily Arsenal either, just any 'big' club.

Guest icemanblue

I'm not sure he would, tbh. He has a happy knack for scoring goals, but that doesn't make the obvious flaws in his game disappear. Even if he played for Arsenal.

Sigh.  I was using the Henry comparison to emphasise my point. I'm not saying he's in any way of the same ability as Henry.

The good thing is he seems to have gotten over the initial pressure of wearing the No.9. Honestly, I don't even think about Shearer when I see Martins now. Initially, I have to admit, I did think quite a bit about whether he'll be good enough for the shirt but over time he's proved himself capable of doing a job and is now on his way to making the shirt his own. I haven't felt this good about the club since we came 4th in Bellamy and Robert's first season :D

The good thing is he seems to have gotten over the initial pressure of wearing the No.9. Honestly, I don't even think about Shearer when I see Martins now. Initially, I have to admit, I did think quite a bit about whether he'll be good enough for the shirt but over time he's proved himself capable of doing a job and is now on his way to making the shirt his own. I haven't felt this good about the club since we came 4th in Bellamy and Robert's first season :D

Blimey. I am positive, but that season is right up there in terms of quality of football, excitement and buzz about the town.

It was good to see that Sam took Owen off and not Oba on Monday night, he really does give his all for us every time he plays. I love the way he gives himself a right old bollocking if he miss places a pass or fks up in anyway, we cannot ask for me dedication from him.

Guest rebel_yell12

Skirge -- are you saying you didn't think Owen gave his all v. Tottenham?  He did a lot of hard work, dropping to pick the ball up, linking play, holding the ball up...I assumed Sam took Owen off because he looked knackered.  After all, Owen's not exactly a big lad, not used to being asked to play link-up for his less-able partner (sorry, I've never been impressed with Oba's build up play, his passing is a major weak point and he has trouble with the ball at his feet, not off his chest) and I thought he worked his bollocks off for the team with little to show for it at the end of the day.  If Owen doesn't score, people assume he's played poorly or doesn't give his all.  He played very well, and I suspect he played exactly how he was instructed to play by Sam (dropping to get the ball, linking up...it's not Owen's instinctive play, I don't think).  All that suggests to me that he was definitely giving his all -- and willing to swallow the fact that such play does not always flatter him or win him anything but backhanded criticism. 

I'm not slating Martins, he scores some crackers.  But I hardly think he was the "pick of the forwards" v. Tottenham.  I think Owen is still the stronger option, if Sam decides to play with a big targetman (like Viduka) and I think Owen is simply the superior striker.  Overall, I think Owen showed a versatility against Tottenham that could serve the club very well.  Martins can and should learn a lot from playing with someone of Owen's class -- and that can only be good for Newcastle in the long run.  Because we could conceivably keep Martins for another 10+ years, and if he develops well he could be the next legendary #9.  In time.