Dyer guilt

Guest elbee909

Guest elbee909

Interesting snippet on F365:

KIERON ADMITS TO DYER ERROR

Newcastle midfielder Kieron Dyer still feels "incredibly guilty" about refusing to play out of position for Sir Bobby Robson.

The England star embarrassed former Newcastle boss Robson by claiming he would not turn out on the right side of midfield at Middlesbrough in August 2004.

"I still feel incredibly guilty about that," Dyer told the Daily Mirror.

"The players at Newcastle used to call me 'Bobby's son' because he would give me special treatment and the odd day off to go back home to Ipswich and I let him down massively.

"He was sacked soon after which made it all a hundred times worse. I should never have done that. I was just young and naive and stupid.

"It's something I will have to live with for the rest of my life and I'm thankful that when I rang him after he was fired he accepted my apology."

---

I feel if Allardyce had shown this sort of special treatment it'd be hailed as keeping the players on an even keel, doing everything possible to make sure they're happy etc.  Bobby Robson did it and he was 'being soft on the players'

Other than that... young, naive and stupid?  It was three years ago you twat!  Maybe if you were 13 I could understand but FFS!  So guilty that you accepted an increased contract like a fly going to shit.

Fine Kieron, have these sentiments, but shut up please?  Has Dyer said anything in the press that isn't somehow slightly infuriating, ever?

Guest Gemmill

I feel if Allardyce had shown this sort of special treatment it'd be hailed as keeping the players on an even keel, doing everything possible to make sure they're happy etc.  Bobby Robson did it and he was 'being soft on the players'

Other than that... young, naive and stupid?  It was three years ago you twat!  Maybe if you were 13 I could understand but FFS!  So guilty that you accepted an increased contract like a fly going to shit.

Fine Kieron, have these sentiments, but shut up please?  Has Dyer said anything in the press that isn't somehow slightly infuriating, ever?

Christ the lad gives an interview with nothing but positive stuff to say and you slate him for it.  Have a word man.  I didn't find that interview infuriating in the slightest.

As for accepting an improved contract - should he have turned it down?  Would you have?

:D

Cracks me up all this.

For so long he was scum of the club and 90% on here wanted him dead never mind kicked out, even now some still cannot wait to put the lad down. He was written off by most fans, but has now worked dam hard been through a hell of a time and is starting to prove his worth.

I think its great he is being open about what went on and takes the blame for the part he played in it all.

Good to see some fans that hated him now defending him to others, I thought he was done here, even when fit again I was not expecting the fans to take to hima gain, but hard and decent performances have earned hi some respect again.

Guest Armchair Pundit

I want Dyer at the club because that's what's best for us at present, I'll never forgive him though for helping get one of our best managers in recent years the sack. I'd rather have Sir Bobby here than Dyer if I had the choice though.

Guest Gemmill

To be honest, it was Robson's responsibility to manage the players.  If the approach he took of being too soft with them didn't work, then it was up to him to change tack and come down hard on them.  It was his failure to react as much as the bad behaviour of the players that got him sacked.  He was the man in charge.

I'm not saying that the players did no wrong - clearly they did, but managers have to manage.

I don't think he's the only player that needed to apologise to Sir Bob.

I've read a previous interview in which he gives a fuller picture of the incident. During half-time at a previous game, Sir Bob had wanted to make some changes, and wanted a player to go out of position for the sake of the team. The player refused and there was a massive row. Eventually Dyer volunteered to play in that position in order to move things on. A few months later, he gets asked to do something similar, and gets it in his head that he's become a soft touch. He acted wrongly, but there were other things going on at the time which undermined Sir Bob's position, and which puts it in perspective.

He didn't name the player who refused to play out of position, but I wouldn't be totally astonished if it was Bellamy.

On top of it all, the Captain had threatened to leave the club unless he was given a regular first-team place, and had made a public fuss when he had been dropped for one game. Hardly the right example.

ON the occasion of his rebirth, Kieron Dyer sends his regrets. Plenty of them. A long list.

Some of them still nag at him as he battles Aaron Lennon for a place in the England team to play Israel on Saturday.

But each regret spurs him on. And each one has made him a better man and a better player.

Top of the pile is the way he behaved towards former Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson and the embarrassment he heaped upon him when he refused to play on the right side of midfield at Middlesbrough in August 2004.

Advertisement

"I still feel incredibly guilty about that," Dyer says. "The players at Newcastle used to call me 'Bobby's Son' because he would give me special treatment and the odd day off to go back home to Ipswich and I let him down massively.

"He was sacked soon after which made it all a hundred times worse. I should never have done it. I was just young and naive and stupid.

"It's something I will have to live with for the rest of my life and I'm thankful that when I rang him after he was fired, he accepted my apology.

"He said I was one of the only players from the club to have phoned him, but I still feel dreadful I did something like that to a man with his status.

"When I went out to the World Cup in Germany, I saw him at the England v Portugal game and sat with him for most of the match - and he still had all the old enthusiasm.

"I'm glad we're still on speaking terms. The way I acted, it would be fully deserved if he never spoke to me again. He has put the grudges behind him which goes to show what a great man he is."

There are other regrets, too. There are bound to be. For a long time, Dyer was the symbol of the out-of-control hedonism of a generation of players who had to cope with much too much, much too young. He was one of the Baby Bentley brigade before they made Baby Bentleys. He crashed his Ferrari on the Tyne Bridge, was caught urinating in the street, and was attacked on the pitch by team-mate Lee Bowyer. But there is something rare about Dyer that sets him apart from so many players who have allowed a precious talent to go to waste. Dyer learned his lesson before it was too late.

The 28-year-old midfielder has taken responsibility for his life on and off the pitch and, with the help of Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder, has turned things around.

He has had the mental strength to overcome a succession of hamstring injuries and conflicting diagnoses. Many began to believe he would never recover, but Dyer never doubted himself.

Now, he's the kind of man it's a pleasure to talk to, honest and frank and not afraid to discuss his mistakes, a bright spirit with a lively mind and a burning desire to put things right.

There was never anything malicious about him anyway. He was never a Joey Barton or a Bowyer. Just a kid who got carried away with wealth and fame.

"I'm a lad from Ipswich," Dyer says. "We were a poor family and then I moved to Newcastle and it's like a religion and suddenly you are doing well and everyone is saying how great you are.

"You have got money and you can buy anything you want and it seems that you are more worried about maintaining your status off the pitch than doing it for 90 minutes on the pitch. I believed the hype. I was rewarded with good wages and you do take your eye off the ball. You do get wrapped up in it. For two years I went stale. I wasted it. I had a couple of good games here and there but never had the consistency.

"Alan Curbishley came out with the Baby Bentley quote a couple of months ago and I do think what happened to me is happening to some of the West Ham players.

"When you're young, sometimes you have to learn the hard way. I have had to come full circle to get to where I am now.

"I was out of the game for 18 months with injuries and I want to make up for lost time. I want to be up there with the Stevie Gs and the Frank Lampards who do it week in and week out."

Dyer got his wake-up call from Roeder's predecessor Graeme Souness. Souness has a stock question he asks every pro and ex-pro: will you be able to say you got the most out of your career when it's over. Dyer smiles when he recalls the moment Souness asked him the question. There was a long silence, he says. Dyer was embarrassed. They both knew the answer.

"Since then, I have really got my head down," Dyer says. "I know I haven't played great every day but I have been working towards being more consistent and feel there is no limit to what I can achieve.

"I took football for granted. I thought it would go on forever. To be out for nearly two years, you itch to get back out there.

"The enthusiasm I have now, it feels like I am back at school. I just want to play all the time.

"I didn't used to like playing out wide because I was dependent on someone else giving me the ball and I wanted to be at the centre of things all the time.

"But because of all the injuries we have had at Newcastle, it's meant I haven't played in the same position for two games on the bounce. I learned the hard way that the team is more important than individuals."

Dyer took a hefty whack on the ankle in the defeat to Charlton on Sunday but is desperate to impress Steve McClaren in training this week.

Even when Newcastle have not played well, Dyer's effort and commitment have shone through and he has taken a different attitude with him to England training camps, too.

"Joey Barton got hammered for saying a lot of England players just go along for the ride and once they get in the squad they are happy," Dyer says, "but I recognised myself in what he said. Now, every time I get picked for the squad, that's not enough. I want to be in the England team.

"I want to reach the heights some people believe I can. I want to become an England regular. I've a lot to do. I'm making up for lost time."

'I have got my head down. It feels like I'm back at school. I want to play all the time'

Fair play to the lad for realising that he's been a spoilt little tosser, takes some bottle to basically come out and say i've been a wanker these past few years.

And thats coming from ME! ;)

To be honest, it was Robson's responsibility to manage the players.  If the approach he took of being too soft with them didn't work, then it was up to him to change tack and come down hard on them.  It was his failure to react as much as the bad behaviour of the players that got him sacked.  He was the man in charge.

I'm not saying that the playerS did no wrong - clearly they did, but managers have to manage.

Thats the key though Gemmill, Dyer seems to take ALL the blame. Whatever he does is always 10 times worse than what anyone else does. Even remember people trying to lay the entire blame on Dyer for the Bowyer incident!

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

What is Dyer good at?

He's 28 and even he doesn't know what his best position is. He doesn't score goals, he can't tackle, he can't stay fit but he can run quite fast.

Guest Bramble OG

Nice interview - However much people dislike him it takes alot for someone so big headed(in the past) to publicly admit he made so many mistakes

Guest Invicta_Toon

Dyer's life story is the perfect exmple of everything that's gone wrong with this club since Keegan

he's a cunt , pure and simple, as if Bobby is supposed to successfully manage a team with cocks like that being lauded as the best and the brightest

I guess it's alright now that he's finally come good though eh? Title challenge next season then is it?

Guest Gemmill

I guess it's alright now that he's finally come good though eh? Title challenge next season then is it?

Yeah Vic, that's the logical extension to "That was a nice interview."

He's a good player imo, but I wish he'd left this kind of talk for a bit further down the line.

Exactly what I was thinking. The thing is, he really can't win can he?

Whatever he says publically will generate stick so he's best off saying nothing. At least for the time being.

I'm not his biggest fan, in fact I don't really like him, but its harsh to slate him for that interview imo.

Guest Invicta_Toon

logical extension to 'oh well at least he's apologised and is finally a good player'

He probably can't win, no. But he'd maybe have a more sympathetic ear from most if he'd been playing well for a more substantial length of time. The timing is particularly poor with the rubbish we've served up in the last two games also.

Guest Gemmill

logical extension to 'oh well at least he's apologised and is finally a good player'

Really?  That's logic to you?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Really?  That's logic to you?

bang to rights irrefutable logic gems