England

Stevie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Abu Hamza, or Fred West got the England job I don't think anyone would care where they're from or what they've done, if we won the World Cup.

Allardyce would be a disgrace, people call his football inovative, I call it 1980's long ball shite, he should never ever be close to becoming England manager.

McClaren is a fuckin joke though. Little over 12 months ago, Boro lost 0-4 at home to Villa and the fans wanted him sacked. Boro beat Basle and Steaua in epic come backs from 3 and 4 behind, the tactical genious that is McClaren got all the plaudits. But what did he do? Told them to defend like fuck till half time then get sneaky ones, but that plan was fucked early when Steaua went 2-0 up very early on. ANYONE who has half a clue about football knows 3-0 doon on aggregate, the team has to go all out attack. So Boro ended up with 4 up front and Boro win 4-3 on agg. What did he do that anyone that has a clue about football wouldn't do??

The blokes a clown Boro fans were rejoicing when he left.

I don't care what anyone says, England should be good enough to win the World Cup. With a moderately decent manager attack minded manager like Scolari we should've done. Should we feel inferior to Italy, with players like Gerrard, Rooney and fuckin Terry??!?!?!? We wre great at Euro 2004, everything was going brilliantly till Rooney got injured, but after that something happened to Sven, we were even more defensive, and the Lampard, Gerrard thing did everyones head in.

Seriously win, lose or draw on Saturday, England's footballing future in the short term is bleak. Fuckin 352 away at Croatia, when 442 provided England with officially the world's meanest defence over the last 6 year under fuckin Sven!!! 352 away at a side who had never lost at home. Fine if we're used to playing 352, but experimenting against a side that clearly are no mugs. The guy's a prick, get big Phil in. Simple as that.  We have no decent English coaches, a foreign manager makes no odds to me.

I hope we lose the game, it will be end of the mistake and hopefully England will move on.

Mclaren simply doesn't have enough quality to do anything meaningful and is bascially the same regime, different name as last time.

Sven without the sex stories.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't give a fuck, I find friendlies and even qualifiers extremely boring most of the time but I love the major tournaments, especially as they are during the summer and no Newcastle matches.

Seems the cool thing to do to not support England. I even heard someone today saying they'll be supporting Israel ffs!

McClaren is a poor manager who should have never got the job, but i'll back him for now as we really need the wins to qualify.

Guest smoggeordie

I'd rather win a gold star off Dave than England win the world cup

Will that do? :razz:

Awesome, get my Oba picture on and put it round his neck :lol:

Guest Stephen927

McClaren is the wrong man for the job, not much difference between him and Sven except maybe a more willingness to try out new formations from Steve even if it was away against formidable opponents.

The problem with England is that we have no one except Rooney and Gerrard when he's in the mood to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

If there was the option of:

World Class English Manager

or

World Class Foreign Manager

... i'd go for the English one.

---

If there was the option of:

Average-to-bad English Manager

or

World Class Foreign Manager

... i'd go for the foreign one.

Guest eyeball_tickler

england now reminds me on newcastle. they had the potential to succeed at several stages but fucked it up, always under preform, players not really caring, bad decisions about managers and the crouch/ameobi similarities are best saved for another thread.

Yeah, I think that sometimes too, that England are like the Newcastle of international teams.

The atmosphere is really weird around this forthcoming Israel game, everyone's putting on a brave face while obviously fearing the worst. I want us to tonk them, but if we don't, if we get beaten, the silver lining is that it should get shot of McLaren sooner rather than later, because he's got about as much chance of leading England to a cup as Roeder has of qualifying for the Champions League.

McClaren is the wrong man for the job, not much difference between him and Sven except maybe a more willingness to try out new formations from Steve even if it was away against formidable opponents.

The problem with England is that we have no one except Rooney and Gerrard when he's in the mood to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

:idiot2:

I would prefer a top class manager which pretty much rules out English at this moment in time.

The shameful truth.

It's a joke that the best we can come up with is a mediocre, mid-table second-rater like McLaren.

I wonder when this will ever change? European coaching seems to have got ahead of England’s both technically and philosophically at some point, right about the time the Premiership had enough money to hire the best wherever they came from – which wasn't England. Now all the best jobs are occupied by successful foreigners and no English managers are learning enough to make the very top level. Or that's how it seems.

Not that I'd mind one tiny little bit if Newcastle were also managed by a successful foreigner.

And if England absolutely HAS to have an English manager, then it really should be Allardyce. He's the only credible candidate.

McClaren pretty much coached the England team under Sven. Sven just picked the team.

Hence why the England we see now, and the style of football is IDENTICAL to the one that we've had for the past 5 years.

Scolari = Moderately decent  :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

I agree with you though regardless what others may say (especially Northern Monkey) England still have a group of players good enough to seriously challenge for the world cup.

Who sohuld be our manager? The best manager available definitely, but prefarably English (excluding Scots, Northern Irish and Irish), after all the world cup is a tournament that pit a country against the other country. England is a country with sizable population and it would be a joke (hence it is now) if we can't come up with decent local manager managing the national team.

The criteria for the manager:

1. English. English players trained by English manager to represent English country.

2. Able to pick a team. With a wealth of players available he should be able to pick the strongest team al Sven Goran Eriksson (his short fall is in other areas not this). Last thing we need is the persistense with Robinson in goal, P.Neville as left back and Dyer as right winger.

3. Ability to motivate. Ability to coach is less important as the England manager does not have much time to coach anyway. More importantly he should be able to motivate the players.

4. Able to play to the strength. English players are well educated in physical battles and less in ball retaining. It would take ages to upgrade the players' ball playing ability yet it only take a few seconds to surrender large chunk of physical advantage due to a switch of playing style.

Where does McLaren lies?

He can do 1 nicely, do 4 to a certain extent, but he has demonstrated that he can't pick and motivate. I would much prefer Sam Allardyce and Paul Jewell than McLaren. Luis Aragone is a racist grumpy donkey with medicore club record but at least he is Spanish, he can motivate, he can pick and he sticks to Spanish playing styles. Same things go for Klinsmann and Lippi except that the latter has an excellent club record. Domeneque is another funny looking donkey (just like McLaren) but at least he knows how to pick players and formation!

I am willing to support McLaren as he is already appointed but I have never thought that he would be any outstanding English national team manager, unless he changes in the future.

McClaren pretty much coached the England team under Sven. Sven just picked the team.

Hence why the England we see now, and the style of football is IDENTICAL to the one that we've had for the past 5 years.

Or the same Sven whom we always qualified with ease for tournaments and has had a fantastic track record before taking up the England job and McClaren has what exactly?

England arent going to win anything unless there is an increase in technically competent players coming through.

Its great having effort, work rate, commitment, even end product, in the mix, but put that up against an entire team that can control the ball with ability and theyll get dominated.

This (technically good team) will never happen when you have a team full of Beckhams, Lampards and Gerrards. Having Rooney makes no difference when the team as a whole arent able to keep the ball, all that happens is that he gets isolated and cut out of the game as the rest of the team struggle to string a few passes together and just get ever more defensive, with his only hope being to do some individual magic and dribble past a few players.

I feel sorry for Svenn in a way, because it was always a no win situation for him. If he drops the Lampards, Gerrards and Beckhams for players with more technical ability, players better at the simpler things, then he gets crucified if England lose, and those players probably arent good enough to be playing at that level in the first place. If he doesnt drop them, his only hope is to get the team to defend strongly as a whole, and hope that the end product of these star players wins them the game - attacking against teams like Portugal, Brazil, France, etc, would just result in losses anyway, as theyll still dominate the possession and have more chances to score as a result. Unforunately, all of England's stars go missing in the really big games, so all we see is defensive tactics and poor performances.

Maybe were simply not good enough to win anything at international level with the current crop of players.