so you never wanted Roeder

Guest Invicta_Toon

Guest Invicta_Toon

mackems.gif

"Aston Villa huge potential fan base"  mackems.gif a club who haven't averaged over 40,000 in half a century.

Rangers - mid table Premiership team standard players  mackems.gif

"PIERCE" - Who?  Mary Pierce?  :)

"Heskey in the Championship with Bruce", did he move back?  :)

Oh to have the knowledge of your average Euro96 band wagon jumper.

i'll give you heskey then, can't say I do take much interest in the championship teams. Substitute his name for Andy Cole if you like, point still stands

as for your other points, laughable and ludicrous as ever

Laughable?  The only laughable thing, is that someone with such a piss poor football knowledge spends half his life on this message board.  As soon as I see Invicta Toon, I think to myself, this post is going to be a disgrace to all genuine toon fans, because there's no one one this board, who genuinely has no clue about Newcastle and football in general like you.

think whatever you like Stevie, at the end of the day it's you who has the odd ideas about NUFC and its potential / resources, and is scared of mice

at the sake of repeating myself, like I would take lessons in support from a bloke like you

how's your chelsea ticket application going btw?

I've got my mates ticket for Chelsea, meet me before the game and we'll discuss it, and we'll see if you're as big a wank in person as you are on here.

:lol: suprisingly long time for the classic meet me in real life challenge

wasssa matter stevie? beaten by a know nothing bandwagon jumper? Or finally realised you're full of shite?

Allardyce for me.

I wanted him when Bobby Robson went.

I like Pardew though, I think he could do better things.

Pardew is a strange one, last season West Ham were excellent and he had them playing really good football too, none of this long ball rubbish you see promoted teams playing but a good, pass and move game. This season he just couldn't get them going, he also left out Carlos Tevez for Bobby Zamora which is shocking when you think about it, he does seem to have Charlton on the right track now though.

Houllier would be my choice, Sven would be a good alternative as he's always impressed at club level, if we had to go down the British route I'd say Allardyce or Hughes, maybe even Coleman.

Guest Invicta_Toon

mackems.gif

"Aston Villa huge potential fan base"  mackems.gif a club who haven't averaged over 40,000 in half a century.

i'll give you heskey then, can't say I do take much interest in the championship teams. Substitute his name for Andy Cole if you like, point still stands

Laughable?  The only laughable thing, is that someone with such a piss poor football knowledge spends half his life on this message board.  As soon as I see Invicta Toon, I think to myself, this post is going to be a disgrace to all genuine toon fans, because there's no one one this board, who genuinely has no clue about Newcastle and football in general like you.

think whatever you like Stevie, at the end of the day it's you who has the odd ideas about NUFC and its potential / resources, and is scared of mice

at the sake of repeating myself, like I would take lessons in support from a bloke like you

I've got my mates ticket for Chelsea, meet me before the game and we'll discuss it, and we'll see if you're as big a wank in person as you are on here.

I meant your Stamford Bridge season ticket btw. Seeing as how you think a club with resources deserves do well an all

mackems.gif

I've got my mates ticket for Chelsea, meet me before the game and we'll discuss it, and we'll see if you're as big a w*** in person as you are on here.

I meant your Stamford Bridge season ticket btw. Seeing as how you think a club with resources deserves do well an all

Absolutely pathetic.

Much like yourselves before you got an ambitious board willing to spend money and finally started getting a whiff of success, you mean? He said "potential".

The thing is you've had success and still couldn't get the numbers.  Second in 1990 and 1993, averaging 25,000 and 29,000.  Second to us was success, we mid table non-entities and we're still averaging over 50,000, that is a club with a huge potential fanbase.  34,000 when you won the fuckin league, and 26,000 in the season you won the European Cup.  Sunderland have more potential than Villa by far.

A huge potential fanbase to me is a club who at their peak could average 80,000 fans: i.e Man Utd, Newcastle, Arsenal, Celtic FULL STOP, THERE'S NOBODY ELSE.

You seem to be neglecting a few facts. In 1993, we averaged 29k, yes you are right. But you dont mention that it iwas the third highest average in the Premier League that season.  Same with 1990 - average attendances across the league 20K. Arsenal only managed 33k FFS.

When we won the league? Are you aware of what football crowds were like in the early 1980s? 1980-1 average crowd in Div 1 = 24,000.  1982 = 22k.

Ultimately Villa lost over 2,000 fans from the total attendance compared to the Reading game the previous week - but in reality there were more stay-at-homes, as the Royals didn't bring as many fans here as Newcastle. Hotbed, my butt.

Completely agree with Biffa from NUFC.COM. 

You really are laughable, mate. I make a point that Invicta was talking about our potential fanbase, and you go off on one. Feeling threatened or something? You're incredibly defensive about something. I was at both of those games mentioned. Firstly, Reading did bring as many fans as you did. They sold their allocation. Secondly, if we got more to watch us play Reading than we did for our match against you, what other inference could you possibly draw from that?

Allardyce for me.

Pardew is a strange one, last season West Ham were excellent and he had them playing really good football too, none of this long ball rubbish you see promoted teams playing but a good, pass and move game. This season he just couldn't get them going, he also left out Carlos Tevez for Bobby Zamora which is shocking when you think about it, he does seem to have Charlton on the right track now though.

Look at the crap Pardew had to put up with at West Ham behind the scenes, though, with that initial, dodgy takeover, then the weird stuff we now know about with Tevez and Mascherano.  He's done impressively well since moving to Charlton, though, as you said.

Allardyce for me.

Look at the crap Pardew had to put up with at West Ham behind the scenes, though, with that initial, dodgy takeover, then the weird stuff we now know about with Tevez and Mascherano.  He's done impressively well since moving to Charlton, though, as you said.

I know you already sort of answered this but what's your personal view on O'Neill by the way? Disappointing given his reputation and the money that has been made availiable to him or someone who is definitely putting the club on the right road to success?

Guest geordieracer

i would taken o'neill, allardyce, hitzfeld, hiddink, van gaal, curbishlkey, pardew and sven all over roeder

hes poor manager and hes feckin annoying

he always seems to blame other people if we lose and it reallys gets my goat how he goes on about not tapping up players, then he comes out saying that he was watching gareth bale and how he would be a good signing etc

villa don't have a massive fanbase which is quite understandable with doug ellis as chairman for so many years, he probably turned people off villa himself

i reckon after a few consistent seasons with a good team and winning consistently they will start selling out as they will see people come back who lost hope with ellis years and years ago, but as the results this seaosn are basically the same they see no reason to come back.

but considering they are the biggest club in the whole of the midlands the potentials obviously there to get big crowds regularly

Allardyce for me.

I know you already sort of answered this but what's your personal view on O'Neill by the way? Disappointing given his reputation and the money that has been made availiable to him or someone who is definitely putting the club on the right road to success?

Well, if you look at the table, it isn't great, but things aren't always as they immediately seem.

He's had the chance to spend some money, but only in the January window (when it is very difficult to make signings, no matter how much cash you have). The August window closed and the takeover still hadn't gone through, so all he could do was sign Petrov.

In January he picked up Maloney, Young and Carew (swap for Baros, and an absolutely awesome piece of business). Since the end of the Jan window, we've only actually played 5 games, and Maloney has been unfit for most of them.

The upshot of it is that we can't judge him on this season, he's had to make do with O'Dreary's dross squad for the first half of the season (actually, although he got Petrov in, we lost De La Cruz (no biggie) and Milner (who was probably our best player last season) so he actually had a weaker squad than O'Leary did.

He'll get there, he'll have bucketfuls of cash to spend in the summer, and can build his own side. We'll judge him on that rather than this season.  The main thing is that optimism for the future is still sky high at the moment, and a bit of hope is always a good thing.

villa don't have a massive fanbase which is quite understandable with doug ellis as chairman for so many years, he probably turned people off villa himself

i reckon after a few consistent seasons with a good team and winning consistently they will start selling out as they will see people come back who lost hope with ellis years and years ago, but as the results this seaosn are basically the same they see no reason to come back.

but considering they are the biggest club in the whole of the midlands the potentials obviously there to get big crowds regularly

^^^ nail / head interface here ^^^

Ellis took League then European champions (in his absence) to relegation in five years, then constantly failed to provide the backing to make the final step when we got close to winning the league again. That's enough to put anyone off for life.

Allardyce for me.

Houllier would be my choice, Sven would be a good alternative as he's always impressed at club level, if we had to go down the British route I'd say Allardyce or Hughes, maybe even Coleman.

I would like Houllier too.

Much like yourselves before you got an ambitious board willing to spend money and finally started getting a whiff of success, you mean? He said "potential".

The thing is you've had success and still couldn't get the numbers.  Second in 1990 and 1993, averaging 25,000 and 29,000.  Second to us was success, we mid table non-entities and we're still averaging over 50,000, that is a club with a huge potential fanbase.  34,000 when you won the fuckin league, and 26,000 in the season you won the European Cup.  Sunderland have more potential than Villa by far.

A huge potential fanbase to me is a club who at their peak could average 80,000 fans: i.e Man Utd, Newcastle, Arsenal, Celtic FULL STOP, THERE'S NOBODY ELSE.

You seem to be neglecting a few facts. In 1993, we averaged 29k, yes you are right. But you dont mention that it iwas the third highest average in the Premier League that season.  Same with 1990 - average attendances across the league 20K. Arsenal only managed 33k FFS.

When we won the league? Are you aware of what football crowds were like in the early 1980s? 1980-1 average crowd in Div 1 = 24,000.  1982 = 22k.

The early 80's yes I'm well aware of what gates were in the early 80's, better than they were in the mid 80's, when you were barely scraping 15,000 as an average in the top flight.  Newcastle's 30,000 in 1984 was the third best in England despite being in the second division.  We're the only club to my knowledge, to take over 14,000 away on more than one, occasion, Liverpool 84, Spurs 87, the potential to have a massive fanbase, was ALWAYS evident here.  It never has been at Aston Villa.  Ever.  Gates in the early 80's.....

What like Manchester United's 52,000 in 1980.  In your year of being reigning champions, you only averaged 26,000, two years later we averaged almost 5,000 more in division two.  To say Aston Villa potentially have a MASSIVE FANBASE, is the same as saying Crystal Palace potentially have a massive fanbase.

Ultimately Villa lost over 2,000 fans from the total attendance compared to the Reading game the previous week - but in reality there were more stay-at-homes, as the Royals didn't bring as many fans here as Newcastle. Hotbed, my butt.

Completely agree with Biffa from NUFC.COM. 

You really are laughable, mate. I make a point that Invicta was talking about our potential fanbase, and you go off on one. Feeling threatened or something? You're incredibly defensive about something. I was at both of those games mentioned. Firstly, Reading did bring as many fans as you did. They sold their allocation. Secondly, if we got more to watch us play Reading than we did for our match against you, what other inference could you possibly draw from that?

They aren't my words they're the words of nufc.com

I don't care what inference you could draw from that, but Reading had behind the goal but not the paddock bit up the touch line, you had to open more seats for us, as pay on the gate.

If you're trying to say Reading are a bigger attraction than us, fine.  The opinion of Aston Villa fans is about as relevant as the opinions of Invicta Toon.  It's only 3 or 4 years ago Newcastle would give you, your second or third highest gate of the season every year.

Anyway all I was saying was, the potential of Aston Villa's fanbase at it's peak isn't greater than the potential of Portsmouth or Crystal Palace.

let's take a trip down memory lane and see who was touted for the job...

Martin O'Neill - Managing a massive Premiership club with a huge potential fanbase and  shiny new chairman. 15th, 34 points. Lower than Newcastle. Much lower.

Ottmar Ze German - Obviously not interested. Only tempted back to management by his hometown club

Sam Allardyce - The new alan curbishly, obviously got some serious skeletons to hide in his shiny plastic stadium's closet. Obviously happy to be king of the castle with the chairman as his bitch

Gus Hiddink - As was completely obvious at the time, was holding out for a national job. Now happy to take the piss out of Steve McLaren rather than play around with a Premiership club

Louis Van Gaal - Happy to act the celebrity cunt in a dutch club rather than take on the challenge of the Premiership

Paul Le Guen - Went to an arguably equivalent mid-table Premiership side and tried to change them with his fancy continental ways. Hounded out by pressure from the fans and top players. Ring any bells?

Claudio Ranieri - Whored himself around the place for 24 months. Finally found employment with Parma, a club sold at auction in Januray and currently second bottom of Serie A. Previously signed Damien Duff and Scott Parker.

Steve Bruce - Apparently would rather mess around in the championship with Emile Heskey than manage his hometown club infront of 50,000 geordies for Fat Fred

Alan Curbishly - Taking Alan Pardew's team down

Alan Pardew - Taking Alan Curbishly's team down

Sven - pft. The statistically most succesfull England manager has not found, and arguably doesn't even need, gainfull employment

Alan Shearer - Apparently not even a qualified manager yet

Only two things wrong with this club. One of them is Fat Fred.

So your point is what? That based on your (not particularly strong) analysis of the situaiton, Roeder was the best man for the job?

Thats an unmintigated pile of donkey shite. The Shola Ameobi of arguments.

The early 80's yes I'm well aware of what gates were in the early 80's, better than they were in the mid 80's, when you were barely scraping 15,000 as an average in the top flight.  Newcastle's 30,000 in 1984 was the third best in England despite being in the second division.  We're the only club to my knowledge, to take over 14,000 away on more than one, occasion, Liverpool 84, Spurs 87, the potential to have a massive fanbase, was ALWAYS evident here.  It never has been at Aston Villa.  Ever.  Gates in the early 80's.....

What like Manchester United's 52,000 in 1980.  In your year of being reigning champions, you only averaged 26,000, two years later we averaged almost 5,000 more in division two.  To say Aston Villa potentially have a MASSIVE FANBASE, is the same as saying Crystal Palace potentially have a massive fanbase.

You seem to be incapable of taking any comment about another club as some sort of comparison to, or sleight on, Newcastle. It wasn't meant as that, and isn't. If you prefer to see it that way, then carry on ranting and raving.

Do you think one club having a big potential fanbase in some way means it has to be comparied to Newcastle? Because it doesn't, you know. I could point out that in 1972 our average crowd was 32k - pretty much the same as yours, except you were in the first division and we were in the third.

We could pick out statistics like this that show both arguments all night, but it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever, because the original point was not about who has the largest potential fan base, you just seemed to fancy making it look that way to create a bit of confrontation.

What is a massive fan base though?  It is my view other than the three that regularly draw over 50,000, only a succesful Liverpool, Sunderland, Manchester City and perhaps cough splutter choke, Tottenham could do the same.  I don't think you'll ever have the fanbase to command such support, that's all my opinion is, and there's evidence to support it.

let's take a trip down memory lane and see who was touted for the job...

Martin O'Neill - Managing a massive Premiership club with a huge potential fanbase and  shiny new chairman. 15th, 34 points. Lower than Newcastle. Much lower.

Ottmar Ze German - Obviously not interested. Only tempted back to management by his hometown club

Sam Allardyce - The new alan curbishly, obviously got some serious skeletons to hide in his shiny plastic stadium's closet. Obviously happy to be king of the castle with the chairman as his bitch

Gus Hiddink - As was completely obvious at the time, was holding out for a national job. Now happy to take the piss out of Steve McLaren rather than play around with a Premiership club

Louis Van Gaal - Happy to act the celebrity c*** in a dutch club rather than take on the challenge of the Premiership

Paul Le Guen - Went to an arguably equivalent mid-table Premiership side and tried to change them with his fancy continental ways. Hounded out by pressure from the fans and top players. Ring any bells?

Claudio Ranieri - Whored himself around the place for 24 months. Finally found employment with Parma, a club sold at auction in Januray and currently second bottom of Serie A. Previously signed Damien Duff and Scott Parker.

Steve Bruce - Apparently would rather mess around in the championship with Emile Heskey than manage his hometown club infront of 50,000 geordies for Fat Fred

Alan Curbishly - Taking Alan Pardew's team down

Alan Pardew - Taking Alan Curbishly's team down

Sven - pft. The statistically most succesfull England manager has not found, and arguably doesn't even need, gainfull employment

Alan Shearer - Apparently not even a qualified manager yet

Only two things wrong with this club. One of them is Fat Fred.

So your point is what? That based on your (not particularly strong) analysis of the situaiton, Roeder was the best man for the job?

Thats an unmintigated pile of donkey s****. The Shola Ameobi of arguments.

Shola Ameobi of all arguments???  I'd say more like the Lee Payne of all arguments.

Guest Knightrider

Newcastle's all-time average attendance record: 30,675

Villa's: 28,806

Hardly a huge difference is it?

Also... above us in the all-time table are Spurs and Everton.

I don't know why we crow about our attendances or the percieved size of the club, because since when have attendances or size correlated with anything? If they did we'd have chalked up a lot more success than we have.

Villa have won 10 more trophies than we have BTW...