Roeder's Gone Mad

Guest AussieNUFC

Martins needs coaching (though that's a different story) and is having a very poor patch. I certainly wouldn't sell him unless we got a silly offer as i'd like to see him develop here rather than elsewhere.

Do you think he can partner Owen? I'm not convinced. And we're not big enough at all at the moment for both Martins & Owen to be vying for one place. If we can get our money back for Martins, spend a similar amount on Zigic, Ashton or Crouch, then sign a cheaper small striker as back-up to Owen.

I've no idea whether he can partner Owen, but i'd like to see our two most dangerous strikers play together and see what happens before jumping to any conclusions on no evidence. How can anyone be sure any of those player you mention can partner Owen any better than Martins?

Martins will learn a lot from Owen, I am sure he deserves the chance to learn from a top top striker..

So are Crespo, Recoba, Vieri, etc. not good enough to learn from like? :lol:

Martins will score a couple of good goals soon and you see how the kneejerk changes direction.

I wouldn't sell the lad. He does need to improve but he still already has a lot to offer. He needs a regular quality partner and a quality creative player behind him but then so does everyone, he also needs to improve his first touch and movement. I honestly don't think Ashton or Bent would have done any better in our team this season with the constant change of partners and lack of any real cutting edge.

The few games we have shown any sort of attacking ability this season Martins has normally shone. AZ at home he was class and its no suprise this coincided with the whole team ticking.

Guest NSMagpie

He's scored just 2 more than Kluivert did...and in a lot more games. Kluivert's all-round game also wiped the floor with Martins' and yet one's being cast as a new hero and the other was mocked for being fat and not good enough anymore. Give me the Kluivert of the 2004-5 season even though he wasn't that great ahead of this season's Martins any day.

Martins scored 16 so far, while Kluivert scored the total of 13 in a season. That is three more, and the season is not over yet for Martins.

http://www.patrick-kluivert.com/stats.php

Mentioning number of games is not quite relevant in this case, as Kluivert was absent most of the time because he was not physically fit to play.... Martins is naturally athletic, in spite of his short stature, and has maintaned fitness throuout the season.

By the way, Newcastle team of 2004/05 was ceratinly a better team compared to what we have now, so that goes in Martins' favour too.

If Roeder sells Martins, it shows NUFC has no ambitions in the next season.

Guest Gemmill

Martins will score a couple of good goals soon and you see how the kneejerk changes direction.

I've been saying the same thing since very early on tbh, so you can stick your kneejerk up your arse. :razz:

The few games we have shown any sort of attacking ability this season Martins has normally shone. AZ at home he was class and its no suprise this coincided with the whole team ticking.

And it's also no surprise that when he's been utter crap, the rest of the team has. ;)

I've been saying the same thing since very early on tbh, so you can stick your kneejerk up your arse. :razz:

I mean on the whole (although you did go a little quieter than usual on the subject when he was going through a good spell ;) )

Skirge and Dave are probably the only ones who have stuck up for the lad in this thread, couple of months ago the majority of people would be ripping your arms off for even suggesting selling him for anything less than £30m!

And it's also no surprise that when he's been utter crap, the rest of the team has. 

It's obvious they look to him for inspiration! Just shows the respect they have for him...

Haven't The Mirror & Tribal Football just got their ideas from Alan Oliver on Monday in the first place?

Aye, you are probably right there like, and here we are all going dafft over it.

:idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Guest Gemmill

I know....

Let's sell the player who has saved us from relegation this season... seriously... he has won us 12 points in total this season I think.

FFS... what a load of shit.

We haven't had a player with so much raw talent in a long time... apart from N'Zogbia maybe.

All the things you are moaning about Gemmil and co... his lack of movement, his inability to hold up play.... surely these are things that are part and parcel of adjusting to a new league.

You wouldn't swap him for Rooney, so your opinion is somewhat tarnished tbh. :razz:  And no, lack of touch, lack of movement, and inability to retain possession are not part and parcel of adjust to a new league.  He looked like he was adjusting to a new sport at the weekend.

And it's also no surprise that when he's been utter crap, the rest of the team has. 

It's obvious they look to him for inspiration! Just shows the respect they have for him...

Give over man I was being sarcastic. :lol: Are you telling me that the likes of Given, Emre, Solano, Parker, Butt, Dyer, Carr, etc...seasoned experienced players look up to some kid who shrugs his shoulders and whinges at every misplaced pass for inspiration?! If so, we're in more trouble than we think.

i.e. a la Van Buyten (wasn't a striker was he?)

No, van Buyten wasn't a striker, but that's a fair way away from the point. I do agree with your logic in that if you have smaller strikers you can compensate by having defenders/midfielders who are threats from set-plays, but really it wasn't the debate at hand. From open-play will Martins/Owen work has been the real theme and the question of: are there any Premiership teams who successfully implement a partnership of a similar nature to Owen/Martins?

Aye, they could work, but the evidence so far makes it seem like they won't. I'm also not saying we should sell Martins for anything but a big profit here... and I'd of course like to keep both AND buy another good striker to add to the mix (but that's asking a fair amount).

I also find the suggestion that having a poor first-touch of a football because you're in a different country to be fairly laughable for a bloke who probably gets paid £40/50k a week to do it right. Martins has never been well-known for his control/technique, I honestly don't know who people think he is sometimes, as evidenced by those who called him a "playmaking forward" in his early days here.

As for how young the lad is, 22 isn't exactly kindergarten in modern football, is it? Granted he's still got plenty of time to improve, but it's not going to be as natural/easy as a lot of people seem to think it is. Would people genuinely keep the lad if someone made us an offer of around £20m?

Transition period is the term most people in the football world refer to when a foreign player doesn't set the world on fire...

The one thing that we can all be certain of is that we do not have any idea how Owen and Oba will play together...until the day they do...

Guest Gemmill

£20m?! That's a 'silly offer' mate. Some in here have said they would flog him for similar money to what we paid.

£12m + - I'm pretty confident we could get someone better in and still have cash to spare for that sort of wedge.

If Martins and Owen to not gel its not the end of the world, its about having a decent squad, who do you play if Owen gets injured?

Yes it would be great if they did gel and witht he help of a creative midfielder behind them it could happen. We need 4 decent strikers, 2 with pace and 2 bigger, stronger players, selling Martins is not going to help us get that!

£20m?! That's a 'silly offer' mate. Some in here have said they would flog him for similar money to what we paid.

Was mainly asking Buzza/Hindu about it. What about £15m, Dave?

£12m + - I'm pretty confident we could get someone better in and still have cash to spare for that sort of wedge.

You'd trust Roeder with that? I think not. ;)

Transition period is the term most people in the football world refer to when a foreign player doesn't set the world on fire...

The one thing that we can all be certain of is that we do not have any idea how Owen and Oba will play together...until the day they do...

Wait and see, fair enough. Cheers for saving me another half-hour.