Roeder's Gone Mad

Guest AussieNUFC

If Martins and Owen to not gel its not the end of the world, its about having a decent squad, who do you play if Owen gets injured?

Do you think we're big enough for both of them to fight over one place? At Man U or Chelsea maybe, but not at a mid-table club.

£20m?! That's a 'silly offer' mate. Some in here have said they would flog him for similar money to what we paid.

Was mainly asking Buzza/Hindu about it. What about £15m, Dave?

Aye, i'd seriously consider it. Nobody would pay that for him though if he's as poor as everyone makes out, Shirley.

If Martins and Owen to not gel its not the end of the world, its about having a decent squad, who do you play if Owen gets injured?

Do you think we're big enough for both of them to fight over one place? At Man U or Chelsea maybe, but not at a mid-table club.

I think they are both under contract here and they should have no choice in the matter, we all know Owen won't play a full season anyway so Martins will get his chance. Nothing wrong though with healthy competition for places, infact its needed to get the best from players.

If they did gel together than it creates a great strike force and forces the other 2 strikers to try harder to break into the team.

We should really be looking to bring in another striker regardless of whether we sell martins or not. We aren't going to keep sibs I suppose and only having shola as back up doesn't inspire confidence.

Owens, martins, shola and ............. (dyer-emergency back up)

Not to mention Crespo is a little over 6' tall and is fairly decent in the air, Buzza. :lol:

Dave, you're probably right - although with the new TV money coming his price should be inflated further, so we might get lucky.

We paid £10m for him when he was something like a 4th/5th choice striker coming from Inter Milan and probably when he had less time left on his contract than he does right now. He's now first-choice striker, playing in the richest league on the planet and, as I've said, with a bigger contract. His value has gone up, no doubt about it and so it should have, because he has shown glimpses of pure excitement at times and people from outside the Toon will remember him for those ahead of the vast majority of his performances.

You cannot build a team around a player who only shows glimpses, though, so I hope he either gets sold for what is apparently "silly money" or he stays and proves me/Gemmill/Nut miles wrong by improving his first-touch/movement off the ball/passing/work-rate. I don't think we've slagged him off for anything else and none of us have labelled him as being "poor", as far as I remember. Just infuriating, more than anything.

But Martins has no movement and can't control a ball so is he really good enough to even be sitting on our bench?

Guest Martin

A better manager and coaching staff would get the best out of all our underachievers. Probably allow young promising players like Martins and Zoggy to get better too.

Or am I just being a bit of a radical!

I think it doesn`t have to be a tall man short man attack. Arsenal won a few Premiership titles more or less never scoring with a header and the ball on the ground.  England play better when its Owen and Rooney, two short men. Owen and Martins are both very good in the air anyway. Martins needs to bulk up a bit more and get coached a bit better. I think next season will bet the season Martins will shine or flop.

If only we had a decent manager to make the most of Duff, Dyer , Martins and Owens pace.

Guest Sniffer

chelski need another striker.

Offer them martins for 12 mill plus Wayne Bridge. See if they bite.

Guest BooBoo

Oba is a pretty unintelligent footballer and i dont think it matters who his partner is, he would still infuriate.

If an offer came in of more than we paid for him AND we could get an Ashton, Nugent or Crouch to play alongside Owen then i would consider it.

If anything, playing alongside Oba, will only hasten Owens departure. He's used to playing with people like great goalscorers and good footballers like Fowler and Shearer.

Oba is a pretty unintelligent footballer and i dont think it matters who his partner is, he would still infuriate.

If an offer came in of more than we paid for him AND we could get an Ashton, Nugent or Crouch to play alongside Owen then i would consider it.

If anything, playing alongside Oba, will only hasten Owens departure. He's used to playing with people like great goalscorers and good footballers like Fowler and Shearer.

He was probably at his best alongside that footballing genius known as Emile Heskey tbh!

Kluivert when he still was hungry would of been a perfect partner for Owen/Martins.

And im not making any conclusions yet, but i REALLY find it hard to see it work with Owen and Martins upfront.

We simply are not good enough at keeping posession and playing flowing football, not at this moment anyway, and probably not next either.

Guest NSMagpie

But Martins has no movement and can't control a ball so is he really good enough to even be sitting on our bench?

:clap: Martins sitting on our bench would be an offence to NUFC impeccable professionals in substitute roles.;D

He's not even good enough for our reserve team. Let's dig out Kluivert, he was playing wonderful football in Valencia, is still under 40, plays in his native country and sometimes even scores, and perhaps, with some 20 punds less, he could make it here!  ;D