Fact about Arsenal's side yesterday

Guest stormrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here muppets and yes I mean all of YOU.. ;)

Despite objections from the Football Association, UEFA have ruled that by the 2008 season, clubs playing in European competitions must field at least eight home-grown players in their 25-man squad.

Of the eight, four will have had to be trained by the club's own academy and a further four trained within the same national association. UEFA are also pressing for the ruling to be enforced in domestic competitions, although that is yet to be agreed by national associations.

Spending spree: Chelsea's imports have made a big impression

The new rule will be introduced from the 2006-07 season with clubs needing to include a minimum of four home-grown players in a squad. That number will be increased to six the following season and eight in 2008-09.

No we can't see a problem.....What you on about? Blah blah Henry blah.... mackems.gif

END OF THREAD

Not quite. I think you'll find "home-grown" means players they have developed themselves, but these do not have to be English if the club's English, French if it's French etc. Arsenal are way ahead of the pack here, and they'll still have a multinational squad.

Arnesen is stepping on the gas at Chelsea though.  They've signed 3 foreign kids in the past 10 days or so, Gael Kakuta from Lens being the latest.

How old was Carrick when you picked him up?

Free trade in goods and services, is the fundamental principle upon which the EU was founded. The problem for you here Parks is that footballers get paid to play, (ie they provide a service) therefore it is highly unlikely that effectively denies them the same right that the rest of us get as EU citizens (ie to be able to work anywhere within the EU). If this law was passed, it would be challenged and overturned in the European Court, and rightly so.

I don't give a monkeys about the EU....So no I've never seen it as a problem. It's a good idea and imo there should be a way of applying some aspects of it. Anyway we're technically not talking about stopping anyones right to work. IMO half of EU law is junk and needs to be challenged....

Infact you'll find the U.K. is not even signed up to the full treaty and we do as we please in other areas where our law still has precedence.

Whether you give a monkey's about it or not it exists, we're part of it, and it has rules to which we are subject, sorry. ;)

I'm afraid that stopping people's right to work, is exactly what you're talking about.

If Player A is French and wants to play/work for Newcastle and Newcastle want him to play/work for them, but he isn't allowed because  Newcastle already have their quota of foreign players then Player A is prevented from working simply because of being French. This is a restriction of his right to work anywhere in the EU and is therefore illegal under EU law.

The only way that they could do it would be to restrict the number of non-EU players, but they would have to exclude any player form a country with a free-trade agreement with the EU from such a quota, as well. Basically it would be a total nightmare and therefore unworkable.

Not only that, but it's a bad idea in the first place. It doesn't help the players development at all and would lead to a lowering of standards rather than an increase. What's needed, as I said before is a change in attitude from English footballers and a willingness to go abroad rather than an arrogant belief that they have a divine right to a job with a top team.

Nine times out of ten, protectionism doesn't work for the UK, because we apply it at the wrong time. Instead of using it to nurture new emerging industries we use it to try and paper over the cracks in large and archaic dinosaurs. All that does is prevent our industries from progressing and improving, this was the situation with things like Rover and it is the situation with football at the moment. English football needs to change and it shouldn't hide behind ill-advised legislation in an attempt to refrain from doing so.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Parky is talking absolute shite, and is now desperately fudging to cover his arse, the sausage munching turncoat :lol:

anyway, I've just finished watching 3 englishmen score against a top european side, infront of an england manager who hasn't scored for 5 matches. I know where the problem lies, and it's fuckall to do with foreign players

Free trade in goods and services, is the fundamental principle upon which the EU was founded. The problem for you here Parks is that footballers get paid to play, (ie they provide a service) therefore it is highly unlikely that effectively denies them the same right that the rest of us get as EU citizens (ie to be able to work anywhere within the EU). If this law was passed, it would be challenged and overturned in the European Court, and rightly so.

I don't give a monkeys about the EU....So no I've never seen it as a problem. It's a good idea and imo there should be a way of applying some aspects of it. Anyway we're technically not talking about stopping anyones right to work. IMO half of EU law is junk and needs to be challenged....

Infact you'll find the U.K. is not even signed up to the full treaty and we do as we please in other areas where our law still has precedence.

The sheer irony of this coming from someone that currently works abroad :D

Parky is talking absolute shite, and is now desperately fudging to cover his arse, the sausage munching turncoat :lol:

anyway, I've just finished watching 3 englishmen score against a top european side, infront of an england manager who hasn't scored for 5 matches. I know where the problem lies, and it's fuckall to do with foreign players

Not often I agree with Vic, but here's one such occasion.

I hate him for what he's done, but if the England manager were up to the standard of Alex Ferguson, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He is the very, very best.

Some of this has been reminding me of one of my teachers when I was a kid. A real old codger, he used to deride our interest in Newcastle United. His argument went something like this...

Back in "his day" (I suppose he was talking pre-WWII), if you went to see Newcastle vs Arsenal, you did so because you wanted to see how 11 lads from Newcastle would fare against 11 lads from London. But the game had been completely ruined, in his view, by a transfer system that allowed teams to field players from all over England – worse, players from ALL OVER BRITAIN!

We all just giggled, because who gave a fuck if Wyn Davies came from Wales, Iam McFaul from Ireland and Bobby Moncur from Scotland? We just wanted to see good players and win games.

Here muppets and yes I mean all of YOU.. ;)

Despite objections from the Football Association, UEFA have ruled that by the 2008 season, clubs playing in European competitions must field at least eight home-grown players in their 25-man squad.

Of the eight, four will have had to be trained by the club's own academy and a further four trained within the same national association. UEFA are also pressing for the ruling to be enforced in domestic competitions, although that is yet to be agreed by national associations.

Spending spree: Chelsea's imports have made a big impression

The new rule will be introduced from the 2006-07 season with clubs needing to include a minimum of four home-grown players in a squad. That number will be increased to six the following season and eight in 2008-09.

No we can't see a problem.....What you on about? Blah blah Henry blah.... mackems.gif

END OF THREAD

Not quite. I think you'll find "home-grown" means players they have developed themselves, but these do not have to be English if the club's English, French if it's French etc. Arsenal are way ahead of the pack here, and they'll still have a multinational squad.

Arnesen is stepping on the gas at Chelsea though.  They've signed 3 foreign kids in the past 10 days or so, Gael Kakuta from Lens being the latest.

How old was Carrick when you picked him up?

22 getting close to 23.

Carrick got the move he wanted, went about it the right way and as a result, will never get much flak whenever he returns to WHL.   Got a lot of respect for him.

Guest Invicta_Toon

there's an exemption for EU work rules if the business is listed as "cultural" or something like that. i think this might be how football plans to get around freedom of movement regulations.

A Genuine Geordie Club WOOHOOO!!!! :lol: