Owen and Shola come back

sempuki

75 mins thats a good run out. I know it would have been at a much slower pace and that the game was split in three but still thats a good run out. Would be nice to get a reserve fixture under his belt and then a subs spot v Chelsea!

bit on the BBC about it:

Owen scores on return from injury

Michael Owen has made his comeback from injury in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Scottish side Gretna.

The striker has been out since rupturing his anterior cruciate knee ligament at the World Cup last summer.

Owen, 27, scored after 10 minutes before coming off an hour later in a game which also saw fellow forward Shola Ameobi make a return.

"We are all, including the medical staff, very happy with the way it went," said manager Glenn Roeder.

Owen could now be in line to face Chelsea on 22 April at St James' Park and his return will be a boost to England coach Steve McClaren.

England face a crucial Euro 2008 qualifier in June in Estonia and Owen will almost certainly play a part if he makes his Newcastle return this term.

But Roeder said: "I have to say that playing an 11-a-side match on the training ground is still a long way from playing Premiership football."

Guest TheOrder

Dosn't anyone know who scored the other two?

Must be Alberto Luque then :D

Now that would of made the headlines.

Something tells me they'll only make the bench at best for the Chelsea game. Here's hoping they're available to start a couple of games before the season is out.

Yeah, lets hope Shola is available to make Martins look like he can control the ball like a Brazilian.

Guest smoggeordie

They both need time on the pitch this season, like Taylor did last season, to boost their confidence in their respective injuries over the summer.

+ we still got a chance in reaching Europe (super optimistic tbh..)

But if we are going to play them,lets throw the likes of Luque and Zoggy in aswell,at least give them a few games to prove themselfs,both seem to be going in the summer and we can attract more clubs this way..

Edit:why the fuck are they not telling us who scored the 2 other goals..  ???

They both need time on the pitch this season, like Taylor did last season, to boost their confidence in their respective injuries over the summer.

Fair enough but I still don't see the point of risking them during matches. Surely they can boost their confidence, if they need to, during sharp training sessions?

Fair enough but I still don't see the point of risking them during matches. Surely they can boost their confidence, if they need to, during sharp training sessions?

"Sharp training sessions" in Newcastle  :buck2:

Guest smoggeordie

"Sharp training sessions" in Newcastle  :buck2:

More like Pat Sharp and Fun House with bloody Roeder.

I don't see the point in not playing them if they're fully fit and raring to go.

I can see the whole argument about wrapping them in cotton wool but it could just make things worse, making someone who has been out so long wait and wait and wait. By the time August comes around it'll be 20 months since his last start for Newcastle and you just know England are going to use him over the summer. It'll only make the pressure on him and the media circus around us even greater at the start of next season if he doesn't play now. I'd rather we could just concentrate on team matters next season and get his 'big' return over with now.

I also feel that just a few games with Martins and Owen together now will tell us a lot about how their partnership is/isn't going to work in the longer term. I'd like to think it'd give our coaching setup time to work on things over the summer in time for the new season.

Guest thenorthumbrian

From .com:

Back in action:

Strike duo return

Tuesday morning saw both Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi make a playing return for Newcastle in a behind closed doors friendly match against Scottish side Gretna.

More details to follow.

I agree that its good of us to get EMO fit to play for inger-land and just in time for a move to Liverpool now that they are swimming in money.