Would you appoint Roeder now?

Guest nufc_geordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Take a look at the teams we have beat, and the teams we've lost to...

Given the quality in our squad, we should be beating most teams in the Premiership, and credit to Roeder for getting the desired results against the lower teams. But look what happened when we played Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea; they cruised it against us, and I won't settle for a manager who isn't going to give us a shot at matching it with the best. With Australia's WC qualification, I've seen first hand the difference a top class manager can make to a team. If appointed as full time manager, Roeder may guarantee a top half finish, but he will not get us a CL spot. Let him serve out his time as caretaker manager, and then let him resume what he was originally hired to do; take care of the academy...

I'm not saying that he hasn't done well, but he isn't the man for the job...

Guest nufc_geordie

Given the quality in our squad, we should be beating most teams in the Premiership, and credit to Roeder for getting the desired results against the lower teams. But look what happened when we played Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea; they cruised it against us, and I won't settle for a manager who isn't going to give us a shot at matching it with the best. With Australia's WC qualification, I've seen first hand the difference a top class manager can make to a team. If appointed as full time manager, Roeder may guarantee a top half finish, but he will not get us a CL spot. Let him serve out his time as caretaker manager, and then let him resume what he was originally hired to do; take care of the academy...

To be honest I disagree. We can't expect instant success under Roeder. I feel if the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc are still cruising it against us in 2 years time then you can say he isn't good enough, but for now its just good that we are beating the teams we should be beating.

Heart says - He's done a good job.  We were missing some big names yet he still managed to win games.  If it were a more recognised name in the job, there would be outrage for criticizing the new manager for the games we lost.  Got us from possible relegation to 7th spot, better than all expectations.  Earned at least a chance to keep proving himself.

Head says - He's unproven over the longer term, would like manager with proven track record for success.  Next season things could go really bad really quickly.  What if we need shot of him two months into the season and there is nobody of a decent quality to replace him?

Guest teepee

we could do a lot worse - and i'd have him ahead of curbs, allardyce etc.

I would, however, still pick hitzfeld ahead of glenn. Not too sure about MON

Quite frankly, I think that is a ridiculous argument.  Spurs haven't beaten Liverpool, manure or Chelsea either, does that mean Martin Jol can't give Spurs a chance of competing with the best?  Of course it doesn't, nor can that argument be levelled at Glenn Roeder either.

What makes you think he hasn't got the attributes to get Newcastle to the CL?  He got the spanners to 7th in the premiership with practically no transfer money at all.  One thing is for certain. If he doesn't get the top job, there will be plenty of clubs who have seen what he can do and will.  I don't think you will see Roeder back in the Academy, time for something better, either at Newcastle or elsewhere.

Quite frankly, I think that is a ridiculous argument.  Spurs haven't beaten Liverpool, manure or Chelsea either, does that mean Martin Jol can't give Spurs a chance of competing with the best?  Of course it doesn't, nor can that argument be levelled at Glenn Roeder either.

What makes you think he hasn't got the attributes to get Newcastle to the CL?  He got the spanners to 7th in the premiership with practically no transfer money at all.  One thing is for certain. If he doesn't get the top job, there will be plenty of clubs who have seen what he can do and will.  I don't think you will see Roeder back in the Academy, time for something better, either at Newcastle or elsewhere.

He also took the same, very talented, team down the next season. Speaking to my WHam mate recently I commented on what a good job Roeder has done for us - he said the same thing of their first non-full season with him. The next season, according to him, they were dreadful. I believe Roeder has done exceptionally well for us as caretaker manager, but that's all it should be in my opinion.

Guest Phil K

I hope no-one who said "no" or "don't know" EVER said 'give Souness more time', because that would be too laughable even for us NUFC fans.

I think you'll find those who said give Souness more time are the ones saying "Give the job to Roeder"

I personally rate Roeder as far FAR better than Allardyce Curbishly et al, but want Hitzfeld or Hiddink.

I dont want to be getting angry and demanding Roeder's head when it goes pear shaped because he's too nice a bloke, and has our clubs best interests at heart (unlike Souness who subsidised Rangers with our money on Boumsong, and is responsible for Faye and Babayaro)

Guest Phil K

Well reasoned.

But if you notice, no-one is furious at the prospect of Roeder. He's a good stand in if no-one higher up the ladder can be got. I prefer him to everyone else mentioned with the exception of maybe O'Neil of the British managers. Hey - who knows ? Maybe the fat one will stun us and unveil Arsene Wenger or Fergie as new manager !!!!  bluebiggrin.gif

He also took the same, very talented, team down the next season. Speaking to my WHam mate recently I commented on what a good job Roeder has done for us - he said the same thing of their first non-full season with him. The next season, according to him, they were dreadful. I believe Roeder has done exceptionally well for us as caretaker manager, but that's all it should be in my opinion.

Agreed, its when the pressure is actually on that you can judge - the last time the pressue got to him - that's not a slur, its a fact  - the pressure on him if he became full time manager would be far more than he has been used to up to now.

Your mate must be one of the blinkered ones that think's the sun shines out of Terry Brown's *rse!!

When the spanners best two strikers at that time (Di Canio and Kanoute) were both out for 6 months and Brown refused to sanction the purchase or loan of a replacement, relegation was inevitable in most people's opinions.  Maybe the only surprising thing was that they managed to go over 40 pts before being relgated. 

Most fairminded spanners fans will admit that relegation was not Roeder's fault, it was all down to Brown's stupidity.  Even FFS wouldn't leave his team with no strikers at all!

Considering FFS has gone on record as saying this time the appointment HAS to be right, I don't see how he could possibly offer Roeder the job, no matter how well he has done as a caretaker. O'Neill, Allardyce and Hughes are the outstanding candidates from the prem. If they don't want it, that's another matter but to give Roeder such a massive job based on a good run of matches would show fat Fred up at his feckless worst.

Your mate must be one of the blinkered ones that think's the sun shines out of Terry Brown's *rse!!

When the spanners best two strikers at that time (Di Canio and Kanoute) were both out for 6 months and Brown refused to sanction the purchase or loan of a replacement, relegation was inevitable in most people's opinions.  Maybe the only surprising thing was that they managed to go over 40 pts before being relgated. 

Most fairminded spanners fans will admit that relegation was not Roeder's fault, it was all down to Brown's stupidity.  Even FFS wouldn't leave his team with no strikers at all!

I take your point about their strikers, not least given they were playing Ian Pearce up front in that period.

I'll grant that the West Ham support isn't the most fair-minded in the world, but most of them don't seem to have a high opinion of Roeder, in my experience. I don't exactly spend much time around them, so I might just be hearing the loud-mouthed ones/Cockney journalists, mind.

I take your point about their strikers, not least given they were playing Ian Pearce up front in that period.

I'll grant that the West Ham support isn't the most fair-minded in the world, but most of them don't seem to have a high opinion of Roeder, in my experience. I don't exactly spend much time around them, so I might just be hearing the loud-mouthed ones/Cockney journalists, mind.

I don't have as many spanners mates as most other London clubs, but the people I know from whichever club generally thought he was doing a pretty good job for a newbie given the restrictions placed on him by the Chairman. 

If Brown thought Roeder was the man for the job, he should have given Roeder finance to get in replacements when the injuries struck.  To tell him that you can't have any money because you haven't proved yourself, even though Brown had appointed Roeder on a permanent basis was imo lunacy.  I'm not saying that Roeder is the best man for the job, but I honestly think he could do a lot better with the right support from the board than a lot of the names being bandied about.

I hope no-one who said "no" or "don't know" EVER said 'give Souness more time', because that would be too laughable even for us NUFC fans.

I think you'll find those who said give Souness more time are the ones saying "Give the job to Roeder"

I personally rate Roeder as far FAR better than Allardyce Curbishly et al, but want Hitzfeld or Hiddink.

I dont want to be getting angry and demanding Roeder's head when it goes pear shaped because he's too nice a bloke, and has our clubs best interests at heart (unlike Souness who subsidised Rangers with our money on Boumsong, and is responsible for Faye and Babayaro)

I'm certainly not one of those who thought Souness should have more time, I wanted him out in November!!  The reasoning behind that was because I wanted the new man, when he was appointed, to have adequate time to look at the squad, see what improvements were needed and deal with it in the January window.  With the season as it now is, I see no benefit in not keeping Roeder until the end of the season (badge permitting) and for FFS to decide shortly after who is the right nam for the job.  I don't see any benefit in appointing a new man now, equally, I can see no good reason for leaving it in abeyance until after the WC.  The decision should have been made before the WC starts.

Roeder might well get a job somewhere else and go on to do an amazing job. But there's no way a Man U, Arsenal or Chelsea would offer him one because it would be a massive gamble and Roeder is still unproven (good recent run not withstanding). Only a fool would take such a massive gamble at a big club. A fat fool perhaps.

Real Madrid appointed Carlos Queroz after seeing his successful time as Fergie's 2nd man.

I do think that Roeder has proven himself to be able to do a decent job in both Newcastle United and West Ham (as explained by Martin Jol). If Newcastle appoint Roeder as manager, I would not see it as a massive gamble. With a broken squad Roeder is pushing us towards the edge of Europe. How about ... a complete squad?

Sacking Robson was a big gamble, so as recruiting Souness.

Real Madrid appointed Carlos Queroz after seeing his successful time as Fergie's 2nd man.

And look what happened to them!

Well Barcelona also appointed Rikjaard who had little managerial track record.

Rafa Benitez was not well known before he went to Valencia. Kevin Keegan had an 8 years sabbatical before he managed Newcastle. Howard Wilkinson was the last English manager to win the Division 1 title yet look at the wonders he did in Sunderland.

I don't really think that fame and name are the only criterias. Roeder would be a safe gamble for Newcastle United.

Couldnt handle the pressure at Westham aint got a hope at the Toon, thanks for saving us hope you stay at the club, but sorry just dont think your the man to take us foward.

Why?

Because someone felt that the best course of action would be to stick with someone who would cost about £3m to pay off rather then sack him immediatly, they're not allowed to express an opinion on who they want next?

No, because anyone who thought that we wouldn't lose more than £3m by keeping on an incompetent, lying coward was a complete fucking cretin.