Toon Set For War Over Owen

Guest eyeball_tickler

Exactly, Why shouldnt he play!? People where saying on here the other day play him in the reserves to get fit? id sooner he played on the New Wembley pitch against Brazil than at Kingston park against the likes whitley bay, under the management of Lee Clark

I'd sooner he actually played in a black and white shirt. I'd rather he be like Shola who has cancelled all his summer plans so he can stay here and get fit for next season.

Owen is a terrific player but it's about time he showed us some loyalty. I have no problem with him playing for England but he must be playing in a black & white shirt first.

Don't think he can actually stop him from playing though, can he?  :undecided:

If fat fred cannot stop him... just get rid of him... i guess

Yeah, lets get rid of our best player eh?  I'm sure due to our status in the game we can attract someone better.

Best player my arse... when it happen?

The attitude towards Owen on this forum is beyond ridiculous.  He had a very serious injury, it wasn't his fault.  We all watched it happen.

So he makes all the right noises during his injury comeback about how much he wants to be at the club (and gets mocked for it on here), he looks happy enough in training, and there is no real indication that he wants to leave.  So why the hate?  He gets paid lots of money?  He wants to play for his country?  Is this club so blatantly insecure that we can't have a world class player in the squad without questioning his motive for wanting to be here?

This article is blantantly tabloid shit stirring, don't play along FFS.

What he said.

Guest Gemmill

Exactly, Why shouldnt he play!? People where saying on here the other day play him in the reserves to get fit? id sooner he played on the New Wembley pitch against Brazil than at Kingston park against the likes whitley bay, under the management of Lee Clark

I'd sooner he actually played in a black and white shirt. I'd rather he be like Shola who has cancelled all his summer plans so he can stay here and get fit for next season.

Owen is a terrific player but it's about time he showed us some loyalty. I have no problem with him playing for England but he must be playing in a black & white shirt first.

He's been injured ffs.  How would you like him to show you loyalty over the summer?  Come round and cook your tea?  Wash your fucking car?  Do you think if Shola got picked for England (aye right), that he'd say "No sorry, I'm staying here and getting fit for Newcastle."  Honestly, some of the crap that gets posted on here.

More than likely to be a load of nonsense, but tbh, i think i'd rather see him play in it - providing of course he is 100% fit. Will do nowt to harm his return to full match fitness. If he is fit, it's not really Shepherd's place to say he's not allowed to play. And i don't think he will have done. The article's a load of shite.

I doubt we'll be able to stop him playing for England although I would rather he didn't play.  If the article is true then Freddy is way out of order, he should make his requests in private to Owen and the FA and leave it at that, an article isn't going to make any difference other than to stir up shit.

I doubt we'll be able to stop him playing for England although I would rather he didn't play.  If the article is true then Freddy is way out of order, he should make his requests in private to Owen and the FA and leave it at that, an article isn't going to make any difference other than to stir up shit.

Why is that, though? Surely, as Bramble OG said, it's far better to have him on the road to recovery at Wembley against Brazil - rather than at Kingston Park against Jarrow Roofing?

Guest TheOrder

I doubt we'll be able to stop him playing for England although I would rather he didn't play.  If the article is true then Freddy is way out of order, he should make his requests in private to Owen and the FA and leave it at that, an article isn't going to make any difference other than to stir up s***.

Why is that, though? Surely, as Bramble OG said, it's far better to have him on the road to recovery at Wembley against Brazil - rather than at Kingston Park against Jarrow Roofing?

There is no such club that play in the Northern Reserve Leauge ;)

By all accounts Owen is an honourable man. Most players at his level, with his expectations, and with his lack of real connections to the club, would have been agitating for a move the minute it became apparent we weren't going to be in Europe next season. Not Owen, who by all accounts is a decent sort and feels he owes us, after we spent so much on his to see so little.

But of course, there's always the chance that Shepherd will manage to fuck this up by souring what relationship we do have with the player. Having blown most of our transfer kitty on the player, with consequences we're still feeling today, what's the betting we end up having to sell him for a massive loss, without hardly having seen him play at all?

I would rather he had all summer off and came back for the new season.  It's not as if he's going to be rolling around in mud during July when he comes back for pre-season training.  I can't see playing 90 minutes in a one off game doing him that much good because any fitness gained will be lost by the time he returns.

Why shouldn't he play in this England game?  If he gets a couple of games in for us with no reaction, then I'd sooner he played a bit over the summer to get him back into the swing of things.  Shepherd's in the wrong here.

Aye,agree with you

If he is 100% fit then there is no reason why he shouldnt play in this game

Whats the big problem?

See GM post

Yeah, GM's post is wrong.  If Michael Owen is fit enough to play for Newcastle, then England can and should pick him for a friendly.  Shepherd (if the article has any truth in it) is being a tit about this because he's bitter over the compensation issue.

Is it?

I don't see that I said anything there that could be said to be wrong. I was merely saying that I'd prefer to see Owen with a good few more games behind him, back to full match fitness and in top form before he gets selected for England again.

I'd tend to agree that him playing for England over the summer could/would be good for him, seeing how long he's been out of the game, purely in terms of improving match fitness etc.

What does concern me, and I wait with some anticipation on this, is to see what effect the injury has had on his playing style - if any. If his game has been or is detrimentally affected by the injury and the subsequent recovery process (e.g. if he's slower), then England selection may depend on having suitable players around him to compensate for that.

As for Freddie being bitter, I actually take some comfort from that - it shows he cares and wants to protect one of the club's biggest assets, which is what you'd expect any right-minded Chairman to do. It may however be that Shepherd is in this case being just a tad overprotective.

I would rather he had all summer off and came back for the new season.  It's not as if he's going to be rolling around in mud during July when he comes back for pre-season training.  I can't see playing 90 minutes in a one off game doing him that much good because any fitness gained will be lost by the time he returns.

But it will improve match fitness, surely? His overall fitness probably won't be altered, infact he'll probably be in optimum physical shape atleast by the end of the season. But there's a difference between that and match fitness/readiness. A friendly like that, against good opposition, on a good pitch, etc - can only be a good thing for him.

And plus, just to render Stozo's nonsense even further - it's only one weekend and he'll be at Newcastle for the remainder of the summer, etc.

still people arguing here he should play... considering he is going to be fit at 100% at that time... but who can guarantee that... it's  6 week again? how can he fully fit 100 % fit after full season off? so much gamble on it... and i stood my stand on fat fred on this case. last time he did that he go home crocked... aye people should remember that. Even it just friendly doesn't it mean it's like those charity game. FFS we paid half of wages while he is injured... so owen should respect this club. It is not daft things to do.

Guest Gemmill

still people arguing here he should play... considering he is going to be fit at 100% at that time... but who can guarantee that... it's  6 week again? how can he fully fit 100 % fit after full season off? so much gamble on it... and i stood my stand on fat fred on this case. last time he did that he go home crocked... aye people should remember that. Even it just friendly doesn't it mean it's like those charity game. FFS we paid half of wages while he is injured... so owen should respect this club. It is not daft things to do.

Bollocks.  In every sense of the word. :razz:

Bollocks.  In every sense of the word. :razz:

bollocks also your arguments O0

But it will improve match fitness, surely? His overall fitness probably won't be altered, infact he'll probably be in optimum physical shape atleast by the end of the season. But there's a difference between that and match fitness/readiness. A friendly like that, against good opposition, on a good pitch, etc - can only be a good thing for him.

And plus, just to render Stozo's nonsense even further - it's only one weekend and he'll be at Newcastle for the remainder of the summer, etc.

He was supposed to be fit when he went to the World Cup but he still came back injured, I'm not sure he would have picked that injury up if he'd been 100% fit and playing for us.  If you've got weak muscles then you put extra strain on other parts of your body, it's not worth taking a chance.

Time will tell if anything comes from this.

Fair enough, Mick. ;)

Think that's a bit of a pants argument though. His knee injury was a freak accident - it would have happened to anyone.

I'm sure I'd find the same thing said before he went to the World Cup if I searched through the forum.