If we hadn't have bought Carr, who would you have liked?

Slim

I'd have liked someone with more dedication. Someone who concentrated more on attaining the highest possible fitness levels. Someone who, for instance, went to an all night gym.

I think, when we bought Carr he was a decent fullback. When we bought Boumsong he was a good central defender. When we bought Luque he would have walked in almost every La Liga team.

Ask Spurs fans - they'll tell you he was a mere shadow of his former self post knee injury.

I think, when we bought Carr he was a decent fullback. When we bought Boumsong he was a good central defender. When we bought Luque he would have walked in almost every La Liga team.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

As Shaman said, he was once a decent fullback, pretty good even, but he was finished after his knee injury.

Boumsong left Auxerre on a free transfer, could have gone anywhere but where did his talent take him? To Rangers - where the mediocre shine. He only cost a ridiculous amount because we were extorted by Rangers (possibly with the connivance of Souness)

Luque was signed by Deportivo on the back of one good season at Mallorca where he was made to look good by Eto'o and had one decent season out of three at Depor. Without turning this into a Luque thread how many of his caps were in competitive matches? Nine caps in five years doesn't exactly make him Raul or Morientes, does it?

Ask Spurs fans - they'll tell you he was a mere shadow of his former self post knee injury.

Very true.  Was very good, got injured for a full season and afterwards was distinctly average, not his fault, simply as a result of the injury.  What he couldn't understand was that he was worthy of a new contract with numbers he wanted but weren't justified. 

That's why he left Spurs, no-one (fans and management alike) were especially sad to see his departure.  He left with a gigantic chip on his shoulder and I still think that's why he hasn't even tried to perform for you.  I've said that here on a number of times before.

Loved it when Miguel made Robben cry (Portugal vs Holland), marked him tight all game. Could afford to as he had the pace to catch him again if Robben gave him the slip. Pushed him about too, bullied him.

Not a great defender but has enough physical attributes to make sure most LW's have a moody time of it.