Playing players out of position: Good for them or bad for them?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

The Dutch swear by it, but they swap players about during their youth when the kids are able to learn and digest things at a much greater rate so that when they do become proper footballers, they are more than comfortable in a number of positions and much more tactically aware and have a good grasp of understanding about the game. We don't produce our footballers quite like that sadly, but we do have a penchant for playing players out of position in this country - just as the Ducth do. Especially here at Newcastle.

Sometimes I look at some teams and think how can anyone, let alone the manager who is supposed to know about football, play such and such there...

EG

Parker as our ACM was worth a try, anything is worth a try once, but this has shown to be the wrong role for our Captain.

This has obviously had an effect on his own game and performances, a negative one.

But still, we as in Newcastle United and we as in general football in this country, play players in the wrong position, and do you know what, I can't think of many successes myself.

Has never having a proper position, effected Dyer's game and thus career? How will it effect Taylor?

Look at Nobby, he has played as a winger all his career, yet because as a youngster he was coached/learned to play in a number of roles, he is comfortable at RB, impressively so from what we've seen. I wouldn't be wrong in saying he has looked an excellent right-back at times this season and if he wasn't as old as he is, I'd have kept him there and thought RB problems are solved for the next few years.

Anyway, just wanted to know your thoughts on this as it bugs me. I'd also like to hear the views of those who would like to see X and such converted to so and so, I know there have been a few suggestions to play Parker at RB for example and I find this very interesting.

Playing a footballer out of position is good only

1. after he is proven not to be capable of producing the required level of performance at his original opposition.

2. The player of the other position is poor.

Solano excels as a right back because he is an intelligent player. He has lost his pace but as a right back he doesn't need to run as much. Both A.Cole and Evra I believe started their careers as strikers. Perhaps they got plenty of pace and stamina but not the finishing touch. Putting them as fullbacks the teams would reap the benefit of their constant flank charging. Jan Koller started out as keeper. But his height and physical attributes prove too much to resist for his team to convert him into a powerful centre forward. RVN started out as midfielder, but his knack of scoring goals as a central midfielder convinced his coach that by teaching how to play with his back facing the net he would score more goals as striker. Our own Steven Taylor started out as striker in his early teens but he was asked to be a defender when the defender is absent. He never changed position since. Sibierski was a midfielder for Man City but an out and out striker for Newcastle United.

So perhaps, if Lampard, Ballack and Mikel can't be dislodged then Essien should be converted to right back for his energetic running and  shooting from range is very useful. Maybe if Steven Taylor couldn't progress more as a central defender convert him to a fullback. Steven Carr and Babayaro could be converted to audience too.

PS Gejon takes note. FM didn't teach me this.

Honest to god i can't understand how a players pefromence drops sometimes when playing out of his postion

I am an U-19 football ,not an amazing one but fairly decent one,i played as a SW,DC,DR,DMC,AML,ST ,i simply changed my playing style to fit these positions,sure i was better at some then others ( i usually play as a winger or as an AMC), but still i didnt do as bad as some presumbly professional players do when played out of their position,i think vertisallty is something that youth players MUST be taught,simply because they will have to play outside their postion at one part of their careers,at least teach them the basic attributes needed to play in ever postion.

Anyway,i think it depends from one player to another,David Edgar is a CB/DMC, but did a fantastic job for us playing as a left back,while Duff as a striker,Emre as a winger never seemed to work,simply because they don't have the attributes to play in those positions,so Coachs should check if the play is capable of performing well when changing his postion,or is he the type of players that prefer to play in one position and one position only.

Definitely worth a try. It's definitely made me a better player. I have played across many positions myself and it has helped to hone my defensive and attacking skills. It trained me to be an all rounded player and I can play in all outfield positions. The important thing however is to know the tactical requirements of different roles otherwise you'll just be 'lost' in the position.

Cant see why it cant be applied with professional footballers.

Guest teepee

having player capable of playing a number of positions is important - it allows you to change tactics quite easily during matches, and you don't need quite as big a squad as you would have if all players only played one position. being able to fill in is the sign of a good footballer - look a joe cole og gerrard.

but it is also important that your key players have favoured and usual positions so you can get a bit of consistency in the team and player performances.

it is a bit of a balancing act i suppose.

It depends on a lot of things but for me the main one is whether or not the team is winning.

I play amateurs on saturday mornings and have played at left back all my life.  This season i've been moved to centre half and hated it to begin with.  We weren't getting results and I was making a lot of mistakes.

Now we're winning again and i'm playing well and really enjoying it.

I know i'm talking about a totally different level here but the basic principles are the same.  Sometimes it just comes down to confidence.

I think we should have tried Dyer at right back a few more times. The current Dyer has no chance of playing there he was too lightweight but I think if he had a few run outs early in career there he could have been a more than adequate fall back option. One that would have proved very useful this season.

I think we should have tried Dyer at right back a few more times. The current Dyer has no chance of playing there he was too lightweight but I think if he had a few run outs early in career there he could have been a more than adequate fall back option. One that would have proved very useful this season.

He played a fair few games at Ipswich in his youth at R/B. Could still do it but would probably refuse. Parker would be good there imo.

Robson/Souness/Roeder for some reason like to play young centre-backs at full-back before they stick them in the centre.  ???

Because its the best thing to do,young center backs are usually nervious and too error prone to play in one of the most importent positions in the game,starting them as full backs,a position that mistakes don't cause the team to conceade a goal it the best thing to do,and after they grow a bit of confidence they can start playing in their original position.

Great for training, I think, but not ideal in a competitive match. There you want players in their strongest position if possible (obviously subordinate to the team's balance).

Agree.

I think its very important playing a player in there strongest position not only to get the best out of the individual but also to aid the balance of the side.

Playing players out of position needs to happen only under critical circumstances(injuries during games,sent off players,short squads,change of tactics).In the modern football every player plays in his strongest position.Every player is his own individual,has his own strong sides of the game and his bad sides too.Every player is different and for that reason there are some versatile players which can play at more then one position.

To answer the thread's question:i think its good for them if they are capable of playing in that position.Also this things like was said before is important to happen/to teach in the youth years of players careers.

For example:Solano was transformed to RB this season and he was capable of playing there and did great job.So its good for him as a experience,playing 1st team football and also he is useful for the team.

Emre on the other hand has played some games as LM and it was obvious that he is struggling  in that position

and cant show the best of him therefore its not good for him and also not good for the team

Hunti played at LB and in the 7 games he played there we lost 6 of them(Bolton 1:2,Chelsea 0:1(league cup),Birmingam 1:5,AZ 0:2,Wigan 0:1,Everton 0:3)therefore his strongest position is not the LB,we all know that he is CB and in the 4 games he played at CB we havent lost none of them.

So basically its down to the manager to decide which players can be transformed to play out of position.If they are doing OK then its no problem for them or the team,if they play bad then its no good from them or the team

Robson/Souness/Roeder for some reason like to play young centre-backs at full-back before they stick them in the centre.  ???

Because its the best thing to do,young center backs are usually nervious and too error prone to play in one of the most importent positions in the game,starting them as full backs,a position that mistakes don't cause the team to conceade a goal it the best thing to do,and after they grow a bit of confidence they can start playing in their original position.

For that argument, may I give you Paul Huntington in Alkmaar who was roasted down the left and both goals came from his side.

For that argument, may I give you Paul Huntington in Alkmaar who was roasted down the left and both goals came from his side.

You are right about Hunty and AZ but generaly in football the CB position is one of the most dangerous along with the goalkeeper so the managers prefer to play more experienced and older players there.

Newcastle Fan is right.

Also Hunty plays with his left foot and therefore the LB is the less preferable for him

I'm still not sure. If I was a young centre-half, I'd much sooner make my debut in my proper position than full-back. Can you remember seeing the likes Terry & Ferdinand playing full-back? At least if you're brought into the first-team and put at centre-half, you have 2-3 years Academy & reserve team experience of playing there so at least know the basics of what's expected, ie, winning headers, man-marking, tackling, etc. Obviously the opposition is a different kettle of fish, but much better that, than to all of a sudden find yourself up against an international winger when you're not used to playing full-back, and suddenly you have to run more, over-lap, block crosses, track runners, have a better distribution, etc.

I'm still not sure. If I was a young centre-half, I'd much sooner make my debut in my proper position than full-back. Can you remember seeing the likes Terry & Ferdinand playing full-back? At least if you're brought into the first-team and put at centre-half, you have 2-3 years Academy & reserve team experience of playing there so at least know the basics of what's expected, ie, winning headers, man-marking, tackling, etc. Obviously the opposition is a different kettle of fish, but much better that, than to all of a sudden find yourself up against an international winger when you're not used to playing full-back, and suddenly you have to run more, over-lap, block crosses, track runners, have a better distribution, etc.

Hunty played as a emergency LB

Of course that its better for young CB's to play at their natural position but like i said sometimes managers are playing them at RB,LB because the % of making some fatal mistake is not that big.

Also i think it will be useful for Hunty and Edgar that they played at RB,LB because they gain alot of experience this season.