ManU vs Milan, Kaka vs Ronaldo

tmonkey
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FWIW, imo, three of the best young players in the world who have proven that they can dominate/change a game on many occasions and have done the business this season and the last are Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi.

Unfortunately, NE5, Rooney doesn't make the list. And it's not because of any 'agenda' or 'bias' that I have against the boy. I think he's talented and has all the tools needed to succeed, but succeed he certainly has not. This was supposed to be his breakout season, the one where he dominates the Premiership and takes over from Thierry Henry as the best all round striker. Has he done that? Fuck no. He's done okay, but severely underachieved if one considers the expectations placed on him by the typically sensationalist English media and of course the hordes of fans who expect him to be the saviour of the English game, a category I'm putting you in. He's not there yet, mate. Maybe one day he will be, but your statement 'Rooney is the best footballer in the country' is not only astonishingly stupid considering the fact that the actual best footballer is his teammate, but it also shows YOUR bias FOR Rooney, something which has been apparent on many an occasion. It's quite funny and ironic that you keep pointing out that because you've been to more games, seen more in football, know more about the league and all that bollocks, yet you're unable to actually see what it seems is apparent to the rest of the world, even to Rooney's own fucking manager, which is that Ronaldo is better than Rooney. I'm not even going to address your previous remarks about form and how that can't be used to judget a player again because I think you're just being a WUM at this point.

Utter wank. Setting up your own criteria of him having to be the most superamazinglybrilliant player in the world this season and beating the whole world, then, just because he hasnt done it week in week out you say that someone who thinks he is the best is 'stupid'!!  I have highlighted the clause for you. They are BOTH amazing players ffs. Rooney > Ronaldo tonight in biggest game of season (not against Wigan at home for example)

If he is supposed to be the 'best', shouldn't he be able to perform week in week out? I'm only applying the criteria his fanboys set up for him; fanboys such as NE5 who state he's 'the best footballer in the country' when tbh, he's not. I think he's amazing. I think Ronaldo's amazing. Henry, Gerrard, Drogba, and a few others are as well. But this fact doesn't mean Rooney has lived up to the expectations of his defenders though. He's been inconsistent, imo, while Ronaldo's been the best player in the league with Drogba and Scholes being a distant second.

And we'll see about the biggest game of the season, there'll be a few more games ahead for Manyoo that will be more important than tonight.

hoho.....and you call ME a WUM  mackems.gif

Take into account that I absolutely hate manu and their arrogant gloryseeking fans, and tell me what reason I would have to be a "fanboy" of any of their players ?

Its simply a matter of being above this sort of feeling, and making a judgement. I think Rooney is the better player with more to offer long term, which is not knocking Ronaldo in the slightest as i said I have always said he is a brilliant player, and I wish they both played for Newcastle.

You're English, and so is he. That's the only reason I see for you making this absurd judgment that his own manager, most of his fans and his peers and colleagues disagree.

I sent a rant to Dave from the pub earlier. Genuinely couldn't believe the cheers that went up when Man Utd scored. This is the club who beat us to the title, who Shearer stuck two fingers up at, who beat us 6-2 on our own turf, who we despised for a long time in the 90s and now when they score in the Champions League semi final, a Newcastle pub is cheering them?!?!? What next, cheering the fucking mackems?

I blame the fucking toffee nosed southern student cunts. Send the buggers back tbh.

Living in the past! Would you honestly rather a match-fixing cheating bastard team who shouldn't even be in the Champs League this year went through, rather than a team who happened to beat us to the title by virtue of getting more points in a season 10ish years ago?

Absolutely. I despise them and I hope Milan go through and trounce whichever bunch of tossers get through the other semi.

You call others sad and pathetic  :clap:

What, cos I don't want a club I dislike to win the European Cup?

I know, unbelievable.

Guest Gemmill

I really don't see the issue with labelling Rooney as better than Ronaldo FWIW.  Depends what you look for in a player really.  If you asked me which one I wanted to have playing for NUFC, it would be an extremely difficult decision to pick one over the other and even having made the decision I wouldn't be sure I'd got it right. 

Guest triggy99

I sent a rant to Dave from the pub earlier. Genuinely couldn't believe the cheers that went up when Man Utd scored. This is the club who beat us to the title, who Shearer stuck two fingers up at, who beat us 6-2 on our own turf, who we despised for a long time in the 90s and now when they score in the Champions League semi final, a Newcastle pub is cheering them?!?!? What next, cheering the f****** mackems?

I blame the f****** toffee nosed southern student c***s. Send the buggers back tbh.

Living in the past! Would you honestly rather a match-fixing cheating b****** team who shouldn't even be in the Champs League this year went through, rather than a team who happened to beat us to the title by virtue of getting more points in a season 10ish years ago?

Absolutely. I despise them and I hope Milan go through and trounce whichever bunch of tossers get through the other semi.

I know, unbelievable.

IMO i think you should be supporting the english clubs

NE5, mate..

sorry, but I said players who are playing in the premiership.

That's why I said 'FWIW' to imply that I'm going off on a tangent and will be discussing something else.

it is all opinion. I think Rooney is the best footballer in the premiership or is the player I would buy the most for Newcastle who is playing in the premiership. Take it any way you want to take it.

My point about form is fairly obvious. All players have fluctuating form to a degree. Ronaldo is the dogs bollocks at the moment, but I think Rooney is the better footballer, in my judgement. This is about judging talent and overall worth, not form at the moment.

It's pretty strange that having posted on this forum for quite a few years, you think I am a WUM, when there are plenty of other people who either post complete tripe or absolutely nothing of note whatsoever.

I don't think you're a WUM in general, but about Wayne Rooney, maybe you are. Or maybe you should take off your rose-tinted specs regarding English footballers , the same specs that many members of the media seem to have on.

Anyways, how else do you judge 'talent and overall worth' if not based on a measure of long-term-ish form ie. over a season? I wouldn't actually have a problem if you said Rooney will be the best footballer in the country in 2 years, or 5 years, or whatever, but because your original statement inferred that you think of him in that manner at present, I just can't agree with it when he's clearly not. Note the differentiation that I'm making between today and tomorrow, now and the future. He's not the best footballer in the country today, but maybe he will be in the future. The only way, imo, you can judge whether a footballer is actually good today is based on form over a certain period.

On the contrary, many people look at foreigners through rose tinted specs. Look at the ones that Newcastle have signed, that were proclaimed to be the dogs bollocks, if you want proof of that.

How do I judge talent ? Good question. I don't look at stats of passes, accuracy, and other such rubbish. I look at the players attributes ie is he quick, is he two footed, is he strong, does he have vision when in possession, does he have intelligence, does he make good decisions, does have have desire [very important], and is he consistent with the right attitude [most inportant]. How do YOU judge talent, because it appears you just look at current form. What would you have said if Luque played well for 5 or 6 games ?

I think the central positions are the most important ones in a team, and Rooney provides leadership and all round footballing ability. Put against the fact that I posted a few years ago that Ronaldo is pretty much the perfect wide player ie fast, two footed, can cross on the run from both sides, scores goals from inside the box - especially headers as he did in the Cup Final against Millwall when i first said that, and the 2 of them are awesome. But I prefer Rooney.

Oh BTW, Ronaldo isn't English.

I sent a rant to Dave from the pub earlier. Genuinely couldn't believe the cheers that went up when Man Utd scored. This is the club who beat us to the title, who Shearer stuck two fingers up at, who beat us 6-2 on our own turf, who we despised for a long time in the 90s and now when they score in the Champions League semi final, a Newcastle pub is cheering them?!?!? What next, cheering the f****** mackems?

I blame the f****** toffee nosed southern student c***s. Send the buggers back tbh.

Living in the past! Would you honestly rather a match-fixing cheating b****** team who shouldn't even be in the Champs League this year went through, rather than a team who happened to beat us to the title by virtue of getting more points in a season 10ish years ago?

I know, unbelievable.

Bollocks, if you want to support the English clubs, fine. Personally, I quite like Milan and have no affection whatsoever for Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd. or many of their arrogant fans.

Apisith, I highlighted the wrong bit - i meant to highlight the bit where you said i called you a twat. Sorry for the confusion. Point still stands though :razz:

I see :lol:

I apologize then. You still said I sounded like a twat though :razz:

I just hate the phrase 'fanboy' i think its patronising and implies the person doesnt apply rational criteria to their player assessments, as NE5 has just done.

I also dont think its stupid to rate Rooney over Ronaldo. In our current situation, i'd take Rooney at the moment but its a close call.

FWIW, imo, three of the best young players in the world who have proven that they can dominate/change a game on many occasions and have done the business this season and the last are Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi.

Unfortunately, NE5, Rooney doesn't make the list. And it's not because of any 'agenda' or 'bias' that I have against the boy. I think he's talented and has all the tools needed to succeed, but succeed he certainly has not. This was supposed to be his breakout season, the one where he dominates the Premiership and takes over from Thierry Henry as the best all round striker. Has he done that? Fuck no. He's done okay, but severely underachieved if one considers the expectations placed on him by the typically sensationalist English media and of course the hordes of fans who expect him to be the saviour of the English game, a category I'm putting you in. He's not there yet, mate. Maybe one day he will be, but your statement 'Rooney is the best footballer in the country' is not only astonishingly stupid considering the fact that the actual best footballer is his teammate, but it also shows YOUR bias FOR Rooney, something which has been apparent on many an occasion. It's quite funny and ironic that you keep pointing out that because you've been to more games, seen more in football, know more about the league and all that bollocks, yet you're unable to actually see what it seems is apparent to the rest of the world, even to Rooney's own fucking manager, which is that Ronaldo is better than Rooney. I'm not even going to address your previous remarks about form and how that can't be used to judget a player again because I think you're just being a WUM at this point.

Utter wank. Setting up your own criteria of him having to be the most superamazinglybrilliant player in the world this season and beating the whole world, then, just because he hasnt done it week in week out you say that someone who thinks he is the best is 'stupid'!!  I have highlighted the clause for you. They are BOTH amazing players ffs. Rooney > Ronaldo tonight in biggest game of season (not against Wigan at home for example)

If he is supposed to be the 'best', shouldn't he be able to perform week in week out? I'm only applying the criteria his fanboys set up for him; fanboys such as NE5 who state he's 'the best footballer in the country' when tbh, he's not. I think he's amazing. I think Ronaldo's amazing. Henry, Gerrard, Drogba, and a few others are as well. But this fact doesn't mean Rooney has lived up to the expectations of his defenders though. He's been inconsistent, imo, while Ronaldo's been the best player in the league with Drogba and Scholes being a distant second.

And we'll see about the biggest game of the season, there'll be a few more games ahead for Manyoo that will be more important than tonight.

Take into account that I absolutely hate manu and their arrogant gloryseeking fans, and tell me what reason I would have to be a "fanboy" of any of their players ?

Its simply a matter of being above this sort of feeling, and making a judgement. I think Rooney is the better player with more to offer long term, which is not knocking Ronaldo in the slightest as i said I have always said he is a brilliant player, and I wish they both played for Newcastle.

You're English, and so is he. That's the only reason I see for you making this absurd judgment that his own manager, most of his fans and his peers and colleagues disagree.

Well. You know what, I'm not really arsed. He will have his reasons, maybe he is talking about form, maybe not, maybe Ronaldo is the type who responds to that sort of talk ? Alex Ferguson would know. One thing I think you should not do, is believe what managers and other people say in the press, they always have their reasons which only they know themselves.

As you say, we will see who does better in the long run.  This time next year he may be saying Rooney is the best player in the world ? One thing is obvious, and that is he clearly thinks he has 2 of the top players going, of which there is no doubt at all.

Your use of stupid words such as fanboy do you little credit BTW, it just shows you can't debate properly, because it isn't as if I assumed anything about you. I don't like Manure, but also as I'm English, I would rather any of our teams win this cup than Milan, unlike the sad and small minded Wullie, it would seem. A WUM comment by him perhaps, do you think ?

Yawn.

whatever.

Fact is, your chums on toontastic have a history of editing posts, posting personal details of posters, and their photographs.

Maybe you aren't the only one needing a girlfriend  mackems.gif

I know, unbelievable.

Bollocks, if you want to support the English clubs, fine. Personally, I quite like Milan and have no affection whatsoever for Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd. or many of their arrogant fans.

You're another one that gets the phone call and bets on Milan losing at half time right?  :lol:

Yawn.

whatever.

Fact is, your chums on toontastic have a history of editing posts, posting personal details of posters, and their photographs.

I thought you didn't go on toontastic, NE5?

How would you know all this if that's the case?

Yawn.

whatever.

you're right. Look at the posting stats.

I see you have registered on howaythetoon. Well done. I can guarantee nobody will edit your posts, or put up a photo of you or any personal details.

Yawn.

whatever.

What posting stats?

Btw Craig on toontastic has said the admin logs are available to prove once and for all that no one changed his post, I'm not sure why it should bother you though mate, it's not as if you said Souness was a top boss and better than Keegan, is it?

Yawn.

whatever.

I see you have registered on howaythetoon. Well done. I can guarantee nobody will edit your posts, or put up a photo of you or any personal details.

Nah, that's not me, mate. I was going to sign up actually but someone stole my username. :(

Yawn.

whatever.

What posting stats?

Btw Craig on toontastic has said the admin logs are available to prove once and for all that no one changed his post, I'm not sure why it should bother you though mate, it's not as if you said Souness was a top boss and better than Keegan, is it?

You are absolutely right, I didn't.

You're also absolutely right in saying that people usually aren't too bothered if what they say is not messed around with, like Gemmill and others, including chayton and sheargol, who defended Souness to the bitter end and quite amazingly STILL think we are better off for having sold Craig Bellamy for a pittance, having said that we should back him to the hilt, build his team, and clear out the cancers of the club just like Alex Ferguson did at manu, regardless of the financial consequences.

Yawn.

whatever.

Nah, that's not me, mate. I was going to sign up actually but someone stole my username. :(

Really ? Well, if you are interested in registering, pm me and I'll sort it out for you.

Yawn.

whatever.

Really ? Well, if you are interested in registering, pm me and I'll sort it out for you.

I'll have a think about it, I'm not sure Leazes Mag likes me very much since I outed him as a backer of Souness, he might edit my posts or something. :(

Yawn.

whatever.

I'll have a think about it, I'm not sure Leazes Mag likes me very much since I outed him as a backer of Souness, he might edit my posts or something. :(

no mod or admin will do that on howaythetoon, guaranteed.

We want it to be a forum for adults, not silly bairns. If it is done, and you object, it will be deleted.

Utter wank. Setting up your own criteria of him having to be the most superamazinglybrilliant player in the world this season and beating the whole world, then, just because he hasnt done it week in week out you say that someone who thinks he is the best is 'stupid'!! I have highlighted the clause for you. They are BOTH amazing players ffs. Rooney > Ronaldo tonight in biggest game of season (not against Wigan at home for example)

hoho.....and you call ME a WUM mackems.gif

Well. You know what, I'm not really arsed. He will have his reasons, maybe he is talking about form, maybe not, maybe Ronaldo is the type who responds to that sort of talk ? Alex Ferguson would know. One thing I think you should not do, is believe what managers and other people say in the press, they always have their reasons which only they know themselves.

As you say, we will see who does better in the long run. This time next year he may be saying Rooney is the best player in the world ? One thing is obvious, and that is he clearly thinks he has 2 of the top players going, of which there is no doubt at all.

Your use of stupid words such as fanboy do you little credit BTW, it just shows you can't debate properly, because it isn't as if I assumed anything about you. I don't like Manure, but also as I'm English, I would rather any of our teams win this cup than Milan, unlike the sad and small minded Wullie, it would seem. A WUM comment by him perhaps, do you think ?

That's a lot of 'maybes' in regards to Fergie's comments about Ronaldo. Maybe Fergie's just telling it as it is?

And it's ironic that you're talking to me about creating 'stupid words', wasn't it you who created the term 'Keegan-bandwagon-jumper' or was it your mate? Anyhow, I've seen you used this term on many an occasion so get off your high horse.

Furthermore, in your previous post, you asked 'How do YOU judge talent?' - well, I judge talent on quite a similar list of attributes that you mentioned, but I also judge it on form and consistency, because that's a mark of a good player. Bramble has all the attributes needed by a central defender yet his form can be terrible and he lacks consistency, which is why he isn't good [enough]. And it's quite funny that you pounce on my judgment when I mentioned 'form' without actually paying attention to what I've emphasized in all my previous posts, which is that form, in my case, is performance over a period of time, such as a season or more, not some sort of purple patch that 'average' players can hit. So I'm not going to answer your hypothetical question regarding what I might say if Luque plays well in 5 or 6 games because it has no relevance.

PS. I don't think Wullie's a WUM. I actually agree with him and want Milan to win the whole thing (and preferably thrash whoever they play in the final, if they get there of course).

Leazes, people can post any opinion they like, because that's exactly what they are, opinions. Everyone has them, not everyone agrees. I couldn't give a s*** who agrees/disagrees with me, it's not my site and I don't dictate what is allowed on it.

With comments like 'bugger off back to Bulgaria' you appear to be saying this person is not allowed to challenge your opinion. Constant references to his country and number of matches attended etc suggest you can't accept his right to an opinion because of where he lives. Ludicrous. :lol:

Congratulations Dave. He thinks we should spend big money on a left back rather than a forward. I think that is bollocks, and that is based on the fact that I have watched the team, as I have done for over 40 years, and can draw on this experience to give a view.

And the problem with that is what exactly ?

Aye a left back would have got us all 3 points against Chelsea on sunday  :lol:

Or would have opened up Arsenal the other week or Wigan away, maybe even the Charlton home game  :lol:

Fulham home, Bolton home, Sheff U home were all games crying out for a left back? No, we have very little going forward that eventually average sides score against us. A goal under the pressure that we have mounted in all of these games would have changed the game in our favour, either by putting daylight between us and the opposition and going 2 up or getting a goal when its been a stalemate.

Our limited attacking options have been the problem all season. Its easier to blame the board for that though.

I can give you 2 times more games where our defensive problems,especially the LB position has cost us dearly(AZ,Brimingam,Fulham(h),Bolton(H)This games where the most shocking when it comes to defensive problems).Also the constant rotation of players playing out of position at LB didnt help too much either.

Yes in some of the games our lack of attacking power also contributed about our poor results.

But when you look realisticly in the start of the new season we will have 2 new strikers(Owen and Ameobi).We will have 5 strikers+Dyer

Imo our priority in the summer should be the defence.When i say priority i mean that we should spend around 70% of our budget in that area.On CB's and LB.Also we will need another CM,but i dont think we should be concentrating so much in buying a striker.

Can you all tell me if we buy another striker where exactly he will play???

I want to hear NE5 answer if Owen and Martins are fit the whole season where exactly will this striker play?

Dont answer me with something like Owen cant be fit for a whole season,please!

I will say that Owen and Martins won't play together all season, yes. In fact, they might not play well together at all.

No doubt this escapes you, as does the fact that most clubs have at least 3 good strikers, and we only have two.

Through watching NUFC week in week out over this season, last season, the season before, and every season since 1965, and having seen what it takes to be a good team in the premiership [and not just in NUFC's case], in my opinion the biggest problem with the team is up front, keeping possession, and one thing you certainly do not do is blow a budget of a lot of money on a defender when you need forwards and/or strikers.

The board slaters, the people who slate them whatever they do, would have a field day. If anything, if the club spent the bulk of its budget on a defender or two, and Owen is hurt again, it would be funny seeing the u-turns galore which would be everywhere.

Or perhaps not.

A quality left back and central defender would not make any significant difference to this team, but a quality striker and midfield player most certainly would.

BTW, Bob Moncur, an ex Newcastle and Scotland captain [have you heard of him ?] agrees with me, or do you think he knows nothing about football, put against you kicking a ball around for a pub or whatever level you have played at.

Why do you think Owen and Martins wont play together all season.If their partnership proves to be successful where do you think this striker will play?

Even if they dont play too well we will still have Ameobi,Sibierski and Dyer.

The only way we should sign new striker imo is if we release Sibierski and get someone instead of him.Also the ideal scenario would be someone who is on free(Viduka).We cant affort to splash more then 5-6m on strikers when our defence is complete mess.What do you think about Viduka btw?

Also your statement that if we sign LB and CB wont improve our squad is just absolutely shocking imo.

Also i must tell you something about football tactics.When you talk about possession of the ball you cant talk only about the strikers.Keeping possession means that the whole team must be involve in that not only the strikers.So your theory about signing strikers to keep possession is very much wrong

Yes i have heard about Bob Moncur but i dont know as much as you about him,i admit.

And about your last sentence if i ever kicked a ball and at what level i used to play football i will tell you that i played real football unlike you.Im also studying here:  http://nsa.bg/en

and in 2 years time i'll finish my education and when i do that i'll have the diploma and i'll have the UEFA's B license.If you dont know what is that here: http://www.thefa.com/GrassrootsNew/FALearning/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2003/12/Becoming_a_coach.htm

You might learn something you dont know.

So there you go.You might support newcastle for 40 years and watch them in every game but when you talk about tactics,training methods,and about football in general you are talking like a fan.Me on the other hand have a little bit more knowledge about football but i dont say everywhere on the forum that because i'll have the B license nobody cant argue my opinion,knowledge.Thats just stupid

If you think you know everything about newcastle and you cant learn something new then..well thats just sad

I on the other hand think that i always can learn something here,also its nice to see other people opinions.Im not here to challenge anybody unlike you

You are taking yourself too serious pretty...

As you say, we will see who does better in the long run.  This time next year he may be saying Rooney is the best player in the world ? One thing is obvious, and that is he clearly thinks he has 2 of the top players going, of which there is no doubt at all.

That's a lot of 'maybes' in regards to Fergie's comments about Ronaldo. Maybe Fergie's just telling it as it is?

maybe he is. Or maybe he isn't. I'm not Fergie, so I don't know. Do you ? As I said, does he mean it or doesn't he ?

And it's ironic that you're talking to me about creating 'stupid words', wasn't it you who created the term 'Keegan-bandwagon-jumper' or was it your mate? Anyhow, I've seen you used this term on many an occasion so get off your high horse.

No. The term "Keegan bandwagon jumper" is a widely used term used by people who weren't Keegan Bandwagon Jumpers.

Furthermore, in your previous post, you asked 'How do YOU judge talent?' - well, I judge talent on quite a similar list of attributes that you mentioned, but I also judge it on form and consistency, because that's a mark of a good player. Bramble has all the attributes needed by a central defender yet his form can be terrible and he lacks consistency, which is why he isn't good [enough].

Correct. But unfortunately, he lacks or appears to lack the qualities which pull everything together, which are desire and consistency.

And it's quite funny that you pounce on my judgment when I mentioned 'form' without actually paying attention to what I've emphasized in all my previous posts, which is that form, in my case, is performance over a period of time, such as a season or more, not some sort of purple patch that 'average' players can hit. So I'm not going to answer your hypothetical question regarding what I might say if Luque plays well in 5 or 6 games because it has no relevance.

Ronaldo is a brilliant player, as I said a few years ago, and is on a hot streak. But I would prefer Rooney. I can't see what your problem is. Its my opinion, you have yours.

PS. I don't think Wullie's a WUM. I actually agree with him and want Milan to win the whole thing (and preferably thrash whoever they play in the final, if they get there of course).

I really couldn't care less if Wullie is a WUM or not. I just think that it is strange that people appear to only think WUM's are ones they don't agree with. Having supported and watched England as well as Newcastle for many years, I would rather an English team won the european trophies. Also - believe it or not, when NUFC play in europe, most real fans want us to win too, and are jealous of us playing in europe, rather than laugh at us when we lose, which is what silly people seem to think happens.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be sitting actively supporting or jumping up and down, like watching Newcastle, or England when I used to watch them regularly, but I would rather not see a foreign team lifting the trophy having beaten an English team. But, each to their own, I find such a small minded attitude a bit sad to be honest.

There are some English clubs I would like and wanted to see do well in Europe. Arsenal, Blackburn for 2.

I just can't bring myself to want Man Utd, Boro, Chelsea, Tottenham etc to do well. Simple as. Don't care what competition they're in, I want them to do badly. More than anything, so they don't pull even further away from us.

Guest Knightrider

Rooney is a great player, with the potential to become one of the best. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot really or terribly biased. He isn't the best player in England (Ronaldo) nor the world (Ronaldo) at the moment and he has a long way to go to get to that level, but he does have the things a player needs to reach that stage as he has shown pretty much since he first broke onto the scene with that wonder goal against Arsenal and once more against AC Milan last night with his brace.

Yes there is a lot of hype around him but I say more fool the idiots who turn on someone like him when he fails to reach the heights they expect of him or start to question his talent because of it. He is only 21 still, lets not forget. People may point to Ronaldo's rapid development and Rooney's lack of progression in his own game in the same period and ask why that is, but Rooney has had to carry the burden and weight of expectation from a nation of nearly 60 million people pretty much since he first pulled on an England shirt. Ronaldo hasn't had that, and you can't dismiss the positions both play either and what role that can play in a player's development.

Rooney's window to dazzle the world is smaller than Ronaldo's who at Man Utd is given a free reign to pretty much do what he wants. Rooney on the otherhand often plays on the left or right for tactical reasons, or up front on his own (like last night) so doesn't quite have the freedoms a Ronaldo has or a Kaka.

To highlight this, Kaka is the top scorer in the Champions League despite being a midfielder. Lampard regularly gets more goals than many strikers, despite being a midfielder. Gerrard is similar. It isn't easy to play brilliantly well in every game as a striker, even if that player has all the talent in the world and then sum which Rooney most certainly does have. Not being a natural goalscorer doesn't help either as goal stats can often make a player look much better than he actually is (Martins anyone?) and a lack of goal stats can also make a good player, look far worse than he is (Heskey)... or Rooney amazingly who has been criticised for his lack of goals to talent ratio.

He'll come good, though. What he is learning at Man Utd at the moment is the art of leading the line and using his head and not so much his heart which is what Ronaldo and a lot of the great playmakers do in their freer roles. Basically in a few years time, because of this learning curve, Rooney could well become a complete all-round centre-forward, but with the added flair and skills of a playmaker. The prospect of such a forward is mouthwatering. He's already a damn fine player, just how good will he become? The sky is the limit.

He'll never be as dashing or as exciting as Ronaldo though, not many strikers can outdo wingers in that sense. We had Shearer and Sir Les, two of the best strikers our game has seen in the last 10-15 years, yet Ginola was the one that drew gasps of breath from the stands.

Anyway, to last night's match: What a game, two fine teams playing football like how it should be played. All post-match talk is of Ronaldo, Kaka and Rooney of course but for me Scholes was the best player on the park and had he been Brazilian, the wanking that goes on over Kaka and Ronaldo, would double with Scholes. I really believe that. As a footballer primarily, he's better than any of them, even at his age and stage of his career. What an amazing player he is. People talk about adapting with age  - he has went from a goalscoring attacking forward to a deep lying playmaker who can still get himself into forward positions as he once did. Although today for some reason he seems more concerned with creating goals for others than taking on chances himself. Maybe he's scored that many, he's content in that sense?!

Regarding Kaka - he's a super footballer too but his goals aside, I felt he went missing and was quite sloppy at times. You can see why he's so effective and why he's a great player but I don't know how anyone can claim him to be the world's best player. Form wise maybe he's up there but I'd honestly rather have Scholes myself. I'd take Ronaldo and Rooney, Messi and Gerrard ahead of him too. But that's just me.

You have to hand it to Man Utd, and especially Fergie. No other team plays football quite like they do at that tempo, we did under Keegan but we were never this tactically acute or quite had the same level of mental toughness. Man Utd carry an aura with them and you could see it on display last night. AC Milan we frightened of them and that I feel is what will see them lose the tie, that and Man Utd's mental strengths, despite AC Milan being more than a match for them 11 footballers vs 11 footballers, as well as their two away goals.

AC will know they can score goals against them, get in amongst them and cause them trouble, but they'll now be thinking: "Fuck me, they are relentless, how do you stop them". That fear or self doubt, will be their undoing. That and the fact that Man Utd can turn it on at any time and are one of those teams who will say to another team, "OK you've had your fun now". They remind me of past Brazilan sides in that sense. I hope they win it simply for the football they play and the wonderful footballers they have in their side, players Chelsea and Liverpool just don't quite have.

Great stuff  :clap:

Edit: I thought Carrick was superb too, he's challenging my opinion of him with every performance, he put the much vaunted Pirlo to shame last night with his vission, passing range and speed of thought. It is also quite revealing how well the likes of Fletcher and O'Shea (two ordinary players) play at this level. You can substitute class quite clearly, as Fletcher and O'Shea - two stand-ins on the night - have shown, but you can't substitute good coaching and having the right attitude to go with it, i.e. a desire to learn and improve. Take note Newcastle United.