Alan Ball Dies

Guest Geordiesned

dont think anyone has cottoned on to my 'joke' yet.

he always spoke so highly of everyone. boom boom.

(im going to burn in hell)

No no. I got there first with a far worse one than that. I burn first. You'll probably just get slightly sindged

Guest 3-1 NYD

RIP to one of the boys of '66, I have a distant memory of him playing for the Arse @ SJP on a sunny autumn day in the early 70's. I think that Barnett was in goal for them instead of Bob Wilson and that we won 2-0. Anyone able to clarify this for me?

Gannin' to Glasters this year? Aye!

RIP. A key part of the greatest occasion in English football.

Incidentally, how many of the World Cup winning team/squad have died now ?

Are Bally and Bobby Moore the only 2 ?

Yeah I think Ball was only the second off that team.

Yeah I think Ball was only the second off that team.

And if I'm not mistaken, he was the youngest player in it.

Just reading this good piece on BBC Sport: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A22059461

I'd never realised he was that good, I only ever knew him as the squeaky voiced fella who was a bit of a rubbish manager.

RIP.

By the standards of his time, he was a good player. His work rate was phenomenal. I think he'd have struggled with the more technical demands of the Premiership though.

Just reading this good piece on BBC Sport: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A22059461

I'd never realised he was that good, I only ever knew him as the squeaky voiced fella who was a bit of a rubbish manager.

RIP.

By the standards of his time, he was a good player. His work rate was phenomenal. I think he'd have struggled with the more technical demands of the Premiership though.

He was more than just good, one of the best of his generation. He wasn't just about workrate either.

Guest Gemmill

Don't know if anyone else heard it, but Lawrie McMenemy was on the radio yesterday being interviewed at the funeral, when he came out with this gem:

"It's been an emotional day. I've seen men that would never shy away from a tackle sob their hearts out today. Men like Tommy Smith who wasn't afraid to cry.....like Alan....Alan wasn't afraid to cry either. Or to kiss a man on the lips and tell him he loved him."

:lol: Fuck me, I bet that's how he would want to be remembered, Lawrie.  Nice one.

I remember Ball as another Craig bellamy TBH - always whining, pretty dirty, not one of the wrolds greatest............ 

Harsh but true. Perhaps I wasn't right to say he would struggle in today's Premiership, but he wouldn't make the top four clubs or the England side.

Alan wasn't afraid to cry either. Or to kiss a man on the lips and tell him he loved him."

Which would explain the squeaky voice.