Matchday 44 - Birmingham v Newcastle - 29/04/06 - Post Match

Shearer9

Guest nufc16

Should be lookin up not down.

Dont forget under Keegan we were top two, under Robson top three/four.

So I dont draw any inspiration from finishing 6th or 7th.

Anybody would have been an improvement after Souness, Roeder has done well, no doubt about that, but there is equally no doubt in my mind that he is not the man to get us back up to the top 3 or 4.

Nobody mentioned Roeder a coupe of months ago, so all this clamour is based on a short period of time.

Just an opinion.

I'm most definitly looking up as well. Roeder knows whos coming up from the Academy,  who wee ned to buy and who need to sell.  To take some  ammo from the "not Glenn party" ,  two months in the job is not enough to be replacing sombody with  a man likely to sweep the broom , ensuring us yet another unstable season.

it'll only be an 'unstable season' if we appoint the wrong man. who's to say glenn wouldnt sweep the broom either? and he's not been in the job as such, being caretaker isnt the same as being permanent manager at the start of a season.

and steve wigley at southampton knew who was coming up from their academy aswell when he was promoted from within, didnt really help him.

Who said it was the end of the world.

It was just a poor performance.

The spine of our team consisted of Bramble/Moore,  Faye/Pattison and Chopra/Shola.  What were you after?

Guest crantonscracker

Nothing knee jerk about criticising a performance.

Seems to me that the people on here defending Roieder are knee jerk reactors, because their case is based on a couple of months results. The years before tell a tale of failure where Roeder in Management is concerned. That is fact.

How is it kneejerk to say that our current caretaker manager has done well since he took over at OUR club? tbh, I couldn't give a monkeys about his previous record in management. That is fact.

Of course there is nothing wrong about criticising a performance, but there are people on here who think after this match we should sack roeder, sell owen....tell me that isn't ridiculous?

Guest The Fox

I dont recall saying anything about getting rid of Owen and sacking Roeder.

Interesting to hear that you do not care about a potential Managers previous record. Perhaps we should be looking at the Grays and Southend Managers they have done remarkably well.

Guest nufc16

its not kneejerk to think that the run we're on is good, it's kneejerk to judge his ability as a manager and aptitude for the job on this run rather than his career as a whole. and saying you couldnt care about his previous record, is pretty reckless thinking when the appointment we make is so so vital.

Guest crantonscracker

Seems to me that the people on here defending Roieder are knee jerk reactors, because their case is based on a couple of months results. The years before tell a tale of failure where Roeder in Management is concerned. That is fact.

How is it kneejerk to say that our current caretaker manager has done well since he took over at OUR club? tbh, I couldn't give a monkeys about his previous record in management. That is fact.

Of course there is nothing wrong about criticising a performance, but there are people on here who think after this match we should sack roeder, sell owen....tell me that isn't ridiculous?

Where does it say in my post that I directed that comment at you Fox?  :roll:

Guest crantonscracker

I dont recall saying anything about getting rid of Owen and sacking Roeder.

Interesting to hear that you do not care about a potential Managers previous record. Perhaps we should be looking at the Grays and Southend Managers they have done remarkably well.

My point exactly - who???

I'm talking about our CARETAKER manager - His previous management record means nothing to me, I'm not concerned how he did in the past with other clubs I am merely talking about his record since he took over from GS.

nufc16, do you understand that? I never said anything about Roeder taking over. I am well aware that the next appointment is vital, just like the previous one and the one before that and the one before that etc.

I am grateful to Roeder for taking us away from a potential relegation battle and turning morale around.  Today's performance was poor, yes, but as somebody has already said, we have plenty of players missing and it's games like this that we would have previously lost (along with the mackem game).

Thank you Roeder  bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif

Guest nufc16

well if you're not using it as reasoning for him taking over fulltime then fine and dandy. just assumed you were. my bad.

Guest crantonscracker

well if you're not using it as reasoning for him taking over fulltime then fine and dandy. just assumed you were. my bad.

No worries mate, just trying to say that he has done us the world of good after GS's reign of terror. :)

Guest Chops

The funny thing is, Ameobi actually played brilliantly in the first half. Best player on the field..

But there you go again. If Shearer had played like that he would have gotten a 7 or a 8 while Ameobi gets a 5 or a 6 on a good day.

Guest elpapi

As someone of the pro-luque people I feel a bit dual over Roeder's possible permanent appointment. He has obviously lifted the whole club, not only in the table but as a whole. Players are smiling (except for luque and boom I guess), people are returning from injuries, some decent performances with goals, some fluent passing,... Also the fact almost anything Roeder says, seems to make sense. Most of the games won were without a lot of important (or at least expensive) players (shearer, owen, parker, emre, dyer (?), luque, boumsong) He's not looking for excuses and is spreading a positive message to the players and fans. It's wrong to suggest he's the man to take us to the next level (top 4) on the basis of 15 games. Comparing him to Souness, is unfair to Roeder, they aren't in the same league, souness is just an awful manager.

Newcastle has always been a club of big names: Shearer, Owen, several others,... Apparently we (the fans) are only pleased if we sign big names a la Shearer, Owen,... It's a criticism from other fans and they might be right I'm afraid. In this matter it might be good NOT to choose a big name and go for someone who has experience, who knows the club and the fans inside out. Roeder fits that bill. The way Roeder handles Luque scares me a bit, but let's turn this thread in another luque-thread. It's still uncertain if Roeder can attract the right players for our club and his history as a manager hasn't proved yet if he can do so.

I will back him whatsoever, but I'm still puzzled if he's the man we need in the near future.

Roeder isn't doing a bad job, he's just not good enough to take us to where we would like to be.  He's taken over from a shite manager who had the team beaten before kicking a ball through his negativity.

All Roeder has done is what most normal managers would do, he's got rid of the Souness negativity but has done nothing what-so-ever to suggest that he'd do a good job here.

We are where we are because of one thing, we've seen off Souness. 

Roeder has failed in his three previous managerial jobs and would probably do the same here.  I'll support him if he gets the job but I'll not expect too much from him, I hope I'm wrong.

No worries mate, just trying to say that he has done us the world of good after GS's reign of terror. :)

I thought you supported Souness.

Guest crantonscracker

I thought you supported Souness.

I wouldn't say supported, I was just one of the blind that prior to Xmas didn't like to see everyone on here getting on his back every 5 mins.

But that soon changed over the Xmas period and I could see why people were so anti-souness and where he was leading us (chumpionship football) - I then saw the light  bluewink.gif

Er, just saw first half on Football First.....how was Ameobi the best player on the park??  :roll:  And I would just like to say how well Bramble did today, fair play to him - never thought I'd say that! lol! Hope this kind of form continues for him and he eradicates all those mistakes  blueyes.gif

Considering the midfield was Pattison-Faye-N'Zogbia-Solano, and we had Chopra up front, the result and performance was as good as you could expect. We were playing away against a side who were desperate for a result.

Ameobi put in a great performance leading the line, I thought. He was having to feed off scraps, but held the ball up and linked well with his team-mates. Chopra put in a lot of effort but just doesn't look strong enough for this level.

I'm not in favour of Roeder having the permanent job, but he has brought calmness, composure and organisation to the side, and that's what pulled us through today.

we were three points off west brom under souness, so to be where we are now is nothing short of phenomenal. being disappointed with a draw against a side who had to give their all today, with the poor players we put out, is testament to how much roeder has improved our team and heightened our expectations.

That team with Souness would have undoubtedly lost, it was a piss-poor team both on paper and in practice, so I suppose Roeder deserves a hell of a lot of credit for even getting a point.

Pattison, Faye, Babayaro and Chopra are nowhere near what we should have in our team, and the rest are hardly great shakes either (barring Shay, Nobby and Charles week-in, week-out). I'm not in support of Roeder taking the reigns full time but the way he has run the team, for the most part, has been extremely uplifting and to think we'll be finishing top eight is quite something after the first part of the season.

Disappointing day, nevertheless, but it was never going to be a classic. Still an awful long way to go.

Guest newcastle4life

we were dreadful like  i thought.i still want roeder.had to run at the end did any trouble spark out ?

Guest 3-1 NYD

we were dreadful like  i thought.i still want roeder.had to run at the end did any trouble spark out ?

There was a few fists flying after the game but who can blame them? They'd just been relegated & I'm sure that they were'nt overjoyed with the Mongs among us lot who chanted Stevie Bruce we're sending you down etc for the final 20 minutes. What boiled my piss was the fact that those who were revelling in Birmingham/Bruce 's demise chose not to get behind the lads. I hope that I'm not out of order in relaying that it seemed to be the Shoes Off mob who go to Toon games these days,who were behind these chants.

Either way,we certainly pissed off a few of the St Andrews faithful.

Even though the game was pony I enjoyed it warts & all! Typical English game of football,end to end in the last 10 minutes.Is it me or should Owen have done better with his header?

Chant of the Day? One wag piping up We Hate Yeading when Campbell came on!

Guest newcastle4life

i got the train like and my mate who was on the bus says 2 bus windows got put out.Any body see or hear about this ?

• 1 year later...