Cult of Personality

James

When we've been at our best, the manager has been the biggest individual at the club.

Keegan was Massive.

Robson was always centre of attention, until Freddy started poking around

In less successful periods, the club's attention has been centred around big name players such as Shearer and Owen, or even the chairman himself.

Looking at other clubs, Ferguson has always been top dog at Manchester United. Mourinho gets the attention ahead of his so called world class players. Liverpool have done better since Owen left and Gerrard took more of a backseat. Arsenal have declined since Thierry Henry has become the biggest part of Arsenal. Real Madrid fell apart with their galatico system.

What is clear to me is that we need to get back to having the manager being the biggest thing at the club. Obviously reputation isn't all, you need to have good management skills. But he needs to be big such that he commands the respect of players fans and boardroom.

I look at Louis Van Gaal and I see a cult of personality coupled with a good upbringing of attacking football. That is why he is my favourite choice for the NUFC job.

I'd throw up if that fat headed king of the hill look-alike arsehole ever became our manager! :rant:

No offence, but i suggest you go and get your head examined then. If Newcastle got Van Gaal as their manager, it would be an eyebrow-raising coup to say the very least.

I'd throw up if that fat headed king of the hill look-alike arsehole ever became our manager! :rant:

No offence, but i suggest you go and get your head examined then. If Newcastle got Van Gaal as their manager, it would be an eyebrow-raising coup to say the very least.

:lol:

Anything is always possible with us dear.

When we've been at our best, the manager has been the biggest individual at the club.

Keegan was Massive.

In less successful periods, the club's attention has been centred around big name players such as Shearer and Owen, or even the chairman himself.

Looking at other clubs, Ferguson has always been top dog at Manchester United. Mourinho gets the attention ahead of his so called world class players. Liverpool have done better since Owen left and Gerrard took more of a backseat. Arsenal have declined since Thierry Henry has become the biggest part of Arsenal. Real Madrid fell apart with their galatico system.

What is clear to me is that we need to get back to having the manager being the biggest thing at the club. Obviously reputation isn't all, you need to have good management skills. But he needs to be big such that he commands the respect of players fans and boardroom.

I look at Louis Van Gaal and I see a cult of personality coupled with a good upbringing of attacking football. That is why he is my favourite choice for the NUFC job.

Agree with you.

Roeder was a rat and when you look at him he doesnt bring any confidence or respect at all

Im not sure about Van Gaal though.He is too arrogant and will floof our team with dutch players like he did with Barcelona.

I would like to see the opinion of Karate Kuyt about him

Keegan was Massive.

Souness??? Gullit??? from what i remember, these two attracted more attention than sir Bob ever did and look where they took us. That theory is a load of poop tbh

Van Gaal WAS a great manager, like Trapattoni was in his day....Maybe slightly past his best, but still better than most in this league. Plays attractive football.

Keegan was Massive.

Souness??? Gullit??? from what i remember, these two attracted more attention than sir Bob ever did and look where they took us. That theory is a load of poop tbh

He is talking about attention as a person who can inspire respect and ambition.That combined with ability as a manager of course.Otherwise you can appoint Vinnie Jones because of his look but i doubt he will do a decent job

Souness attracted attention with all his scandals with players and his negativity as a person.

Keegan was Massive.

He is talking about attention as a person who can inspire respect and ambition.That combined with ability as a manager of course.Otherwise you can appoint Vinnie Jones because of his look but i doubt he will do a decent job

Souness attracted attention with all his scandals with players and his negativity as a person.

Keegan was Massive.

Could be argued that Souness and Gullit inspired respect and ambition, both world class footballers, both won trophies in english football.

Keegan was Massive.

Keegan was Massive.

Could be argued that Souness and Gullit inspired respect and ambition, both world class footballers, both won trophies in english football.

But they obviosly didnt show enough managerial abilities when it comes to play decent football.

Also Souness didnt insipre respect,he insipred self-interest with his enormous ego that he always put it above what is best for our club.

Keegan was Massive.

Keegan was Massive.

But they obviosly didnt show enough managerial abilities when it comes to play decent football.

Also Souness didnt insipre respect,he insipred self-interest with his enormous ego that he always put it above what is best for our club.

suppose Souness inspired confidence in nobody, but Gullit had everyone bouncing with his 'sexy football' claims at first and showed he could get a team playing decent football at chelsea

agreed a good manager diverts attention to himself, leaving the players to do what they do best and that is football, most of jose's antics do exactly that.  remember against barca over in spain, the team bus pulled up he jumped off and dove into the luggage compartment underneath all the media followed him leaving his team to exit the bus without a fuss.  Little things like this make players feel at ease.

Why?, because he's at such a huge club at the moment?

As for his ability as a manager, I think you and others totally overate him.  Since his time at Ajax he's done f*** all.  He's won a couple of league titles with Barca just after he left Ajax (lets face it, it would have been more difficult not to).  Failed to even reach the world cup finals with Holland.  Went back to Barca and was sacked in 6 months..  Went back to Ajax where he lasted another 6 months.  Yes he's made a good start at AZ, but we'll have to wait and see if that becomes anything more then a flash in the pan.

If Van Gaal was unquestionably as great as you obviously think he is then I could stomach the fact that he's such an unbelievable tosser.  But I'm certainly not going to put up with absolutely hating the manager of my favourite team simply for a decent manager.

So in conclusion (:)), no I don't need my head examined, I just don't believe he's the best thing since sliced bread.  Looking at his record he's completely lost his way in recent times.  Probably because he's so completely up his own arse and has been for years now.

Tbf, he is an unbelievable tosser.

I really couldn't give a shit if our managers are nice guys.

You could argue that Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger are all tossers, but I'm sure the fans of their clubs really don't give a shit.

Roeder was the alledged nice guy, I'd rather a succesful tosser take over than sit through another Roeder.

Tbf, he is an unbelievable tosser.

I really couldn't give a shit if our managers are nice guys.

You could argue that Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger are all tossers, but I'm sure the fans of their clubs really don't give a shit.

Roeder was the alledged nice guy, I'd rather a succesful tosser take over than sit through another Roeder.

Nailed on fact that Shak lad.  blueyes.gif