Allardyce supposedly as good as appointed - Happy or Disappointed?

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Made me laugh.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/05/11/geordies_be_assured_big_sam_wi.html

Last Sunday DJ Spoony told listeners to Five Live that Birmingham City's promotion owed much to the fact that Andy Cole had arrived at St Andrew's at the crucial moment and "stabled the ship". Newcastle United fans are hoping that the widely forecast arrival of Sam Allardyce at St James' Park will have a similar effect. Because if ever there was a dreadnought in need of a big trough of nuts and a lie-down in some clean straw it is the Magpies.

Admittedly there are those on Tyneside who are not thrilled by the prospect of Allardyce. They feel that Big Sam will not provide the kind of high jinx fans got used to during the exuberant reign of Graeme Souness. Such doubters clearly do not know the man. Bolton may have a reputation as dull result-grinders but, as a number of experts testified in this newspaper on Tuesday, the Trotters' most entertaining performances have generally been the ones that were not televised. This is undoubtedly true and I for one can testify that I have always enjoyed Wanderers' style of play most when I haven't been watching them.

Big Sam's supporters also vigorously deny the charge of long-ball football. Then again, when isn't it denied? Long-ball is a dirty word. It is the tactical equivalent of racism. No coach, no matter what opinions he espouses, will openly admit to it. "They are not long balls, they are long passes"

Stan Cullis used to fume indignantly back in the 1950s when the charge was laid against his Wolves team. Howard Wilkinson and Graham Taylor stridently denied the accusation when it was levelled at them. Even Charles Hughes used to claim he was not advocating "long-ball football" but "direct football". One day we will surely hear a manager say, "I'm not a long-ballist. In fact, some of my best friends are cerebral midfield maestros. It's just that I wouldn't want that Andrea Pirlo moving in next door".

Allardyce also has a reputation for dourness that is unsettling to many Geordies. However, that is totally unmerited. I realise this view will not find favour with my fellow Middlesbrough fans, whose view of the man is based on his churlish behaviour in the wake of Boro's 2004 Carling Cup Final triumph. On that occasion, wearing an expression that suggested he was chewing a well fed leech while watching a monkey crap in his best hat, Big Sam gave a performance so sour it is reported that dairy farmers in North Yorkshire were taking yoghurt direct from the udder for months afterwards. Yet, according to those in the know, this was atypical of the fellow.

And no doubt they are right. After all, the former Bolton boss's appearances on the provincial panto circuit in the 1980s are the stuff of theatrical legend. Veteran principle boy Anita Harris, who did several seasons with Allardyce while his playing career was winding down, was amazed by the gusto he brought to the role of Widow Twankey.

"We were doing Aladdin at the Empire in Sunderland," she recalls, "Sam was still playing at Roker Park, which made Saturday matinées a real rush for him. He'd do a scene with Stu Francis and I and no sooner had the catchphrase 'Oooh, I could crush a grape' been uttered than he'd be out through the stage door to dash across town in a taxi and head the ball off the goal-line in front of the Fulwell End. He barely had time to remove his costume and slap and I know for a fact that more than once a visiting centre-forward found himself being marked at a corner by a 14-stone centre-back in rouge and frilly bloomers.

"Yet the audience was none the wiser. And Sam actually said that, far from being a disadvantage, this rig-out often psychologically unnerved the forward and gave him the edge in the 50-50 challenges, which is why he always insisted on Kevin Davies being doused with lavender eau de toilette before kick-off and added Madge Panstick the make-up girl to his backstage staff at the Reebok."

Co-star Wayne Sleep was another who was won over by the burly defender's sense of impish fun. "Robin Hood at the Winter Gardens, Great Malvern. Graeme Hick let us down (so no change there!) and Sam stepped into the role of Un-Maid Carrie On, Marian's slatternly stepsister. He had this fantastic routine with Bernie Winters and Schnorbitz in which Sam and Bernie sang a version of the Brotherhood of Man classic "Kisses For Me" to Schnorbitz while the St Bernard sat in a pram dressed as a baby. Just thinking of that huge, dumb, lugubrious, jowly, drooling face in his little lace bonnet makes me titter. And of course the dog was quite funny too. Only joking, Sam, darling. Love you to bits."

With such experience behind him fears that Allardyce may not like life in the St James' Park spotlight are surely unfounded. Indeed the only concern for Geordies is that Big Sam has arrived a year too late and that this will prove a case of closing the stable door after the ship has bolted.

Made me laugh.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/05/11/geordies_be_assured_big_sam_wi.html

Last Sunday DJ Spoony told listeners to Five Live that Birmingham City's promotion owed much to the fact that Andy Cole had arrived at St Andrew's at the crucial moment and "stabled the ship". Newcastle United fans are hoping that the widely forecast arrival of Sam Allardyce at St James' Park will have a similar effect. Because if ever there was a dreadnought in need of a big trough of nuts and a lie-down in some clean straw it is the Magpies.

Admittedly there are those on Tyneside who are not thrilled by the prospect of Allardyce. They feel that Big Sam will not provide the kind of high jinx fans got used to during the exuberant reign of Graeme Souness. Such doubters clearly do not know the man. Bolton may have a reputation as dull result-grinders but, as a number of experts testified in this newspaper on Tuesday, the Trotters' most entertaining performances have generally been the ones that were not televised. This is undoubtedly true and I for one can testify that I have always enjoyed Wanderers' style of play most when I haven't been watching them.

Big Sam's supporters also vigorously deny the charge of long-ball football. Then again, when isn't it denied? Long-ball is a dirty word. It is the tactical equivalent of racism. No coach, no matter what opinions he espouses, will openly admit to it. "They are not long balls, they are long passes"

Stan Cullis used to fume indignantly back in the 1950s when the charge was laid against his Wolves team. Howard Wilkinson and Graham Taylor stridently denied the accusation when it was levelled at them. Even Charles Hughes used to claim he was not advocating "long-ball football" but "direct football". One day we will surely hear a manager say, "I'm not a long-ballist. In fact, some of my best friends are cerebral midfield maestros. It's just that I wouldn't want that Andrea Pirlo moving in next door".

Allardyce also has a reputation for dourness that is unsettling to many Geordies. However, that is totally unmerited. I realise this view will not find favour with my fellow Middlesbrough fans, whose view of the man is based on his churlish behaviour in the wake of Boro's 2004 Carling Cup Final triumph. On that occasion, wearing an expression that suggested he was chewing a well fed leech while watching a monkey crap in his best hat, Big Sam gave a performance so sour it is reported that dairy farmers in North Yorkshire were taking yoghurt direct from the udder for months afterwards. Yet, according to those in the know, this was atypical of the fellow.

And no doubt they are right. After all, the former Bolton boss's appearances on the provincial panto circuit in the 1980s are the stuff of theatrical legend. Veteran principle boy Anita Harris, who did several seasons with Allardyce while his playing career was winding down, was amazed by the gusto he brought to the role of Widow Twankey.

"We were doing Aladdin at the Empire in Sunderland," she recalls, "Sam was still playing at Roker Park, which made Saturday matinées a real rush for him. He'd do a scene with Stu Francis and I and no sooner had the catchphrase 'Oooh, I could crush a grape' been uttered than he'd be out through the stage door to dash across town in a taxi and head the ball off the goal-line in front of the Fulwell End. He barely had time to remove his costume and slap and I know for a fact that more than once a visiting centre-forward found himself being marked at a corner by a 14-stone centre-back in rouge and frilly bloomers.

"Yet the audience was none the wiser. And Sam actually said that, far from being a disadvantage, this rig-out often psychologically unnerved the forward and gave him the edge in the 50-50 challenges, which is why he always insisted on Kevin Davies being doused with lavender eau de toilette before kick-off and added Madge Panstick the make-up girl to his backstage staff at the Reebok."

Co-star Wayne Sleep was another who was won over by the burly defender's sense of impish fun. "Robin Hood at the Winter Gardens, Great Malvern. Graeme Hick let us down (so no change there!) and Sam stepped into the role of Un-Maid Carrie On, Marian's slatternly stepsister. He had this fantastic routine with Bernie Winters and Schnorbitz in which Sam and Bernie sang a version of the Brotherhood of Man classic "Kisses For Me" to Schnorbitz while the St Bernard sat in a pram dressed as a baby. Just thinking of that huge, dumb, lugubrious, jowly, drooling face in his little lace bonnet makes me titter. And of course the dog was quite funny too. Only joking, Sam, darling. Love you to bits."

With such experience behind him fears that Allardyce may not like life in the St James' Park spotlight are surely unfounded. Indeed the only concern for Geordies is that Big Sam has arrived a year too late and that this will prove a case of closing the stable door after the ship has bolted.

Quality. :lol:

Guest TheOrder

Chronicles reporting we've met Sams men abroad somewhere. Just glimpsed the back page in tescos.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ian Holloway from the bbc question time

Hawey The Toon and Bosworth Geordie: "Hi Ollie, do you fancy coming and managing Newcastle United?"

Ha ha ha ha! I think Sam Allardyce might have something to say about that, don't you? It's not exactly the West Country is it? Just a little bit further up...just a little! 

But it's nice to be wanted and that's very kind of them both. I'm sure Mr Shepherd doesn't feel the same way about me as they do! Ha ha ha ha!

Newcastle's a great club and with Sunderland getting promoted and Middlesbrough already in the Premiership it will be brilliant for the area next season. Good luck to them.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Forget the you tube bit, i think we have dealt with that in other threads, but an interesting paragraph is at the bottom

Four-letter rant by chairman thickens Owen transfer plotGeorge Caulkin

Even before yesterday’s events, Freddy Shepherd was unlikely to be commended for diplomacy, but after a trying period for Newcastle United, the club’s chairman has been caught on video offering to “f***ing carry” Michael Owen back to Anfield.

The video clip, which was posted on the YouTube web-site, was dismissed by Newcastle as “tongue-in-cheek banter”, but with Owen’s future on Tyneside the subject of growing speculation, the timing is unfortunate.

Earlier this week, Shepherd demanded publicly that the England forward should “come out and tell our fans he is happy here”. On the video, approached in his car by two Liverpool supporters, he was asked whether Owen could return to Merseyside this summer. His initial reply – “F***ing Michael, I’ll f***ing,” – was incoherent, but, pressed again, he added in his unmistakable Geordie tones: “Listen, I’ll f***ing carry him back for yous.” He later described Owen as a “good lad”, although he was less complimentary about his representatives, claiming with a shake of the head: “His agent’s a f***ing different story.”

A Newcastle spokesman said: “The chairman just shows how approachable he is by having a laugh with a couple of fans. Geordies and Liverpool supporters are world-renowned for enjoying a joke.”

While Shepherd’s mood was highly jocular, it remains to be seen whether a strained relationship with Owen is affected further. No comment was forthcoming from the player or chairman last night.

Since joining Newcastle from Real Madrid for a club-record fee of £16 million in August 2005, a series of injuries has restricted Owen to 13 appearances. After recovering from the knee-ligament damage he sustained at the World Cup finals, he has played only twice this season, yet he has routinely been linked with Liverpool and Manchester United.

Those reports – and mention of a £9 million release clause in Owen’s contract – infuriated Shepherd, who insisted that none of England’s four leading clubs was clamouring to sign Owen. Rafael BenÍtez, the Liverpool manager, yesterday refused to be drawn on whether his club were eager to buy their former player, but they rivalled Newcastle for his signature two years ago, while United had an interest last summer.

Owen’s unopposed selection for the England B international against Albania on May 25 – Shepherd is in dispute with the Football Association over compensation for the striker’s medical bills – illustrates that tension has not been transformed into outright hostility. His prospective departure is by no means certain. He has never expressed a desire to leave.

Owen will play in Newcastle’s final match of the season, away to Watford tomorrow, when Nigel Pearson will take caretaker charge of team affairs after Glenn Roeder’s departure as manager last Sunday.

“I don’t think there’s any question about Michael’s commitment,” Pearson said. “He’s a driven young man. He has had a difficult year, but I know he’s glad to be playing football again. Michael is available for selection. He’s fine. He has trained very well, he’s single-minded and very focused on what he is doing. ”

Pearson expressed “disappointment” at Roeder’s exit. “Results were deemed to be not good enough and that’s unfortunate because I feel we were close to getting things right,” he said.

Sam Allardyce will have his own opinions on that. It is understood that the former Bolton Wanderers manager met Shepherd for a first round of head-to-head negotiations at a London hotel yesterday and more discussions will take place this weekend before confirmation of his appointment next week.

PS Remember that Shepherd was in Newcastle yesterday and Allardyce in Monte Carlo and Chester. Thats a hell of a days travelling

Guest Hodgson09

Allardyce seen taking over at Newcastle

Sat May 12, 2007 12:30AM BST

Email This Article | Print This Article | RSSFeed

[-] Text [+]

LONDON (Reuters) - Former Bolton Wanderers manager Sam Allardyce appears poised to take over at Newcastle United, according to newspaper reports early on Saturday.

Allardyce, who ended an eight-year spell at Bolton when he quit the Premier League club last month, held talks with Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd on Friday.

Shepherd likened the 52-year-old former central defender to Joe Harvey, who was at the helm when Newcastle last won a trophy in the 1969 Fairs Cup, the forerunner to the UEFA Cup.

Photo

"The club needs a lift and Sam is the nearest I've seen to a replica of Joe Harvey," Shepherd was quoted as saying.

"I am excited, Sam is excited, and we are looking forward to making this work.

"We had a good meeting and will continue discussions over the weekend but everything went okay. You don't wrap up something like this in two minutes."

Former club captain Glenn Roeder resigned as Newcastle manager earlier this week.

Newcastle, who finish the season with a visit to Watford on Sunday, are 13th in the 20-team Premier League.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/footballNews/idUKSP603620070511?feedType=RSS

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6626758,00.html

Looks like it is happening.

Allardyce set for St James' after Shepherd lunch

Michael Walker

Saturday May 12, 2007

The Guardian

The prospect of Sam Allardyce becoming the manager of Newcastle United, which already appeared nailed-on, received vivid confirmation last night with the publication of photographs showing him and the Newcastle chairman, Freddy Shepherd, arriving at a London hotel yesterday. Allardyce reportedly said that "it was a good meeting" as he left and it is expected he will be unveiled as Glenn Roeder's successor as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday.

A four-year deal is rumoured, though no contract has been signed by the former Bolton Wanderers manager despite the presence of his representative Mark Curtis at Claridges yesterday. Newcastle's delegation included Shepherd's increasingly influential son Kenneth. "Sam is the nearest thing to a replica of Joe Harvey I have seen. He has the same rugged determination and enthusiasm as Joe," Shepherd reportedly said, referring to the man who won the Fairs Cup for the club in 1969.

Although there remains a doubt over Allardyce's preferred backroom staff at St James' Park - and it is something of a sticking point - this was a remarkably public venue for a meeting that might have been expected to be clandestine. Its public nature suggests Allardyce and Newcastle may have been given permission by Bolton to negotiate.

Bolton are this week believed to have offered a new role and a new contract to Mike Forde in order to deter one of Allardyce's important right-hand men at Bolton from joining him on Tyneside. Time will tell if other figures significant to Allardyce at Bolton move further north.

Presumably one of the topics discussed at yesterday's three-hour meeting in a partitioned-off area of Gordon Ramsay's restaurant at the hotel was Michael Owen's position and Shepherd's attitude towards the England striker. Allardyce is thought to be enthusiastic about keeping Owen, so the release yesterday morning of a video clip on the YouTube internet site of Shepherd caught on a Liverpool fan's camera declaring to Liverpool fans stalking him that he would "carry Michael Owen back [to Liverpool] for £9m" was not ideal.

At first Shepherd's tone sounds serious. But he relents instantly, referring to Owen as "a good lad," and "a decent lad", and then mutters in uncomplimentary fashion about the striker's agent. Given Shepherd's warning on Wednesday to Owen about "loyalty" to the club and the clear tension that exists between Newcastle and Owen's camp, the video clip might have been seen as incendiary. But Shepherd was relaxed about its public release and believes it shows no more than banter.

Newcastle issued a statement to that effect yesterday afternoon which said: "Anyone who has seen this video clip will immediately regard it for exactly what it is. It's nothing more than tongue-in-cheek banter in the most light-hearted fashion that nobody could take remotely seriously or try to misinterpret. The chairman shows just how approachable he is by having a laugh with a couple of football fans, and Geordies and Liverpool supporters are world-renowned for enjoying a joke and sharing a sense of humour, after all."

Owen's, and his agent's, response is unknown, but if Owen is peeved then this might put some more distance between the two parties. Newcastle's caretaker manager, Nigel Pearson, said Owen displayed no signs of anger yesterday. Newcastle finish their season at Watford tomorrow and Pearson said there was "no suggestion" the issue would complicate his team selection. "He's available," Pearson said. "Michael is fine."

Newcastle did confirm two further injury problems yesterday. Their captain Scott Parker is to undergo a hernia operation, which many will believe means he has played his last game for the club, and Damien Duff has had an operation on his foot which will keep him out possibly beyond the start of next season.

Guest Hodgson09

Baggio that is just a longer version of what was said in my post. The Guardian has post four stories since it broke, providing the same info, i guess they are trying to flood newsnow. Either way it is good news, the sooner the rebuilding starts the better IMO.

I was waiting for the last two managers to fail as soon as they were appointed, the last two and a half years have been really misearable and depressing, Allardyce may not be my first or second choice but at least he offers some hope for the future.

I don't want to be looking forward to the day he is fired like I was for the previous managers. The whole atmosphere around the fans has been one of virtual negativity for 3 years and that has transferred to the pitch and has been part of the reason why we have been so poor.

Just for the sake of the team, the club and my personal enjoyment, I am going to back Allardyce and hope others do the same.

I was waiting for the last two managers to fail as soon as they were appointed, the last two and a half years have been really misearable and depressing, Allardyce may not be my first or second choice but at least he offers some hope for the future.

I don't want to be looking forward to the day he is fired like I was for the previous managers. The whole atmosphere around the fans has been one of virtual negativity for 3 years and that has transferred to the pitch and has been part of the reason why we have been so poor.

Just for the sake of the team, the club and my personal enjoyment, I am going to back Allardyce and hope others do the same.

That's exactly how I feel.

SAM ALLARDYCE was handed the Newcastle job yesterday after a secret three-hour lunch with Freddy Shepherd.

SunSport captured the pair at posh Claridge’s in London. Chairman Shepherd told friends at the restaurant: “We want Sam’s determination, enthusiasm and ability to lift the club.”

Big Sam will take over early next week on a contract which could be worth £3million a year.

Allardyce said afterwards: “It was a good meeting and my agent will speak to Newcastle again over the next few days to discuss matters further.”

That will simply be to fine-tune the contract details before Newcastle make an official announcement.

Shepherd added to pals: “The club needs a lift and Sam is the nearest I’ve seen to a replica of Joe Harvey.”

Harvey was the last manager to bring silverware to Tyneside by winning the old Fairs Cup — the forerunner to the UEFA Cup — back in 1969.

Shepherd also said: “I’m excited, Sam’s excited and we’re looking forward to making this work.

THREE-SY DOES IT ... how Allardyce's three-hour lunch unfolded

THREE-SY DOES IT ... how Allardyce's three-hour lunch unfolded

“We had a good meeting and we will continue discussions over the weekend but everything went OK. You don’t wrap up something like this in two minutes.”

Speculation has been rife Big Sam was being lined up for the St James’ hotseat but SunSport’s pictures are the first concrete evidence.

Allardyce quit Bolton after eight years as boss just two weeks ago. The next week, Glenn Roeder was axed as Toon manager. Shepherd then set to work on landing Allardyce.

He contacted Bolton chairman Phil Gartside yesterday. Gartside did not pick up the call so Shepherd left a message.

Shepherd had promised he would let Gartside know if he wanted Allardyce.

It will be a case of third-time lucky for Newcastle in their pursuit of Big Sam.

A combination of his loyalty to Bolton and Shepherd’s reluctance to get into a poaching row have stopped it happening before.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007211006,00.html

With added pictures! 

It sounds like Allardyce is insisting on a decent, four-year contract, and the right to choose his own backroom staff. Good news as far as I'm concerned. Let's have a manager who's in a secure position who's really in charge. It must stick in the craw for Shepherd, but he's got no choice but to agree.

I think Allardyce will do a good job. He's a big, aggressive personality, which I think you need for our club, but he's also open to modern, sophisticated ideas. It's the combination we need.

Guest sicko2ndbest

It sounds like Allardyce is insisting on a decent, four-year contract, and the right to choose his own backroom staff. Good news as far as I'm concerned. Let's have a manager who's in a secure position who's really in charge. It must stick in the craw for Shepherd, but he's got no choice but to agree.

I think Allardyce will do a good job. He's a big, aggressive personality, which I think you need for our club, but he's also open to modern, sophisticated ideas. It's the combination we need.

I agree, Big Sam has done enough in the game now to warrant a clean page. He would not come without a promised Kitty and full assurances. I believe the last 3 managers would not have gone into such depths:

Sir Bob - just wanting to manage his hometown club

Souness - Couldnt believe his luck

Roeder - as above

Big Sam can afford to bide his time. He could quite easily get a top job abroad, with his contacts, and how that (if he was successful) would put him in pole position for the England job.

He has my full confidence and backing

I agree, Big Sam has done enough in the game now to warrant a clean page. He would not come without a promised Kitty and full assurances. I believe the last 3 managers would not have gone into such depths:

Sir Bob - just wanting to manage his hometown club

Souness - Couldnt believe his luck

Roeder - as above

Big Sam can afford to bide his time. He could quite easily get a top job abroad, with his contacts, and how that (if he was successful) would put him in pole position for the England job.

He has my full confidence and backing

agree

Guest SwissMagpie

Wonder what Anal will write today."Freddy called me last night and said that he met Big Sam in a posh restaurant in a London Hotel"

Allardyce has the potential to be the best appointment Newcastle have made since, well, perhaps the best ever.

I cannot really comment on Joe Harvey as I was only 15 when he resigned and my interest in football then was merely watching my favourites and hoping they got a goal or two. There have only ever been two other managers worth mentioning imo, Keegan and Robson.

Allardyce may have his flaws, but they don't detract from his ability to run a complete unit. And that is what makes this appointment so exciting, assuming it comes off. He will revolutionize this club and transform it from a half-arsed outfit to the real deal. There is an if, and it's a bloody big 'IF' unfortunately.

IF Shepherd stands back from picture and lets him get on with it, any interference from Shepherd would probably be disasterous.

So, its defnelty looks like it is Allardyce who's in charge? Does anyone genuinely think that SA is comparable to the top4 managers at the mo? I honestly dont thin so. I believe that SA will be a good appointment, no doubt. I dont think he will be the best ne available though. I really wanted the club to look to a manger who is comparable to the top 4, the likes of scolari, and Sven for me are those type of people. These are people who hve a proen pedigree at gettin teams into the latter staeges and even final stages of major tournaments. Even Houllier has some form in that department (not in the same league as Sven and Phil though) for me, although what he did at bolton was remarkable, i dont think he's the man to break us into top4.

In my opinion, i dont want him here at newcastle. I think this club has top 4 potential, no doubt. more so than any other club. I am more worried by the fact that with all the years of mediocrity we have recently seen, we wil be fooled into thinkin that consistent top6 finishes are good enough for this club, from where we are at at the mo, yes, that would be good, but if it was the case for years to come, then i wont be happy. The oppurtunity to employ a person who can change the history of a club comes not very often, i think its high time newcastle at least attempt to seek a manger with the pedigree to bring this club where it belong.