Allardyce supposedly as good as appointed - Happy or Disappointed?

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's some rather large assumptions you are making, that because people would like him as manager they infer that he's 'perfect', 'phenomenal' and a 'guaranteed success'.

Sven = Swedish Dalglish.

Ironically Sven is fond of things our last manager was criticised for, playing players out of position, playing players together despite every available evidence indicating it didn't work (for Parker and Butt read Gerrard and Lampard) and not doing anything to fix the glaringly obvious (for Roeder's failure to strengthen the defence read Sven's failure to use Cole (a former winger BTW) ahead of Bridge or vice versa (Bridge was also a former winger).

How about lacking balls?

Something Souness got stick for, for sticking with Shearer despite him being past it. Well for that read Sven's decision to take two crocks in Owen and Rooney to the World Cup and leaving Bent, Defoe and other capable players behind, basically going into the WC with only one fit striker, Peter Crouch.

Freddy Shepherd gets stick for his Shearer sycophancy, how about Sven's love affair with Beckham who one penalty against Argentina and a goal against Greece never performed in the big games for him... er like the entire England team.

And people think he'd be a success here?

First sign of trouble and he'd walk away, first sign of success and any club like a Chelsea sniffing and he'd be off, Sven isn't a loyal manager, there would be no building process at Newcastle or longevity.

No thanks, it would be a disaster, a nightmare. People talk about matches made in heaven, Sven and NUFC would be like an arranged marriage orchestrated by a radio station.

Managing an international side is entirely different to managing a club side. The situations are chalk and cheese.

Well people are just going to have to accept it because he's ours. Today's stories linking us with Sven and Houllier are just AO propaganda to back up Freddy Shepherd's claim that all the top managers want to manage Newcastle United and to appease those wanting the club to cover all options first.

I hope this turns out to be the normal scenario of you being wrong. ;)

Don't blame me, blame the bloke who has giving him the job ;)

Oh I won't blame you for appointing him obviously.

However, after clamouring for Allardyce to be given the job I will think you're daft if Allardyce is fully backed, messes it up himself and you then slate the Board for making a poor appointment that you yourself would have made if it was your decision.

To be honest, I wouldn't and you can hold me to that, not if they did absolutely everything they are required to do or what I require them to do anyway which is to keep out of the footy side, provide the funds, do as the manager says within reason (i.e not do away with the reserves on the request of the manager) and while BS goes about sorting the team out, they do the same with finances and such. Do that and he fails, they can't be blamed. Do that and there is actually a very good chance they will succeed and go someway to redeem themselves. I'd still like them out though even if that did happen, because long-term they will never be able to sustain anything as they've proven. Just my opinions though.

BS?

Bullshitter?

That's some rather large assumptions you are making, that because people would like him as manager they infer that he's 'perfect', 'phenomenal' and a 'guaranteed success'.

Pots and kettles here, like. You've been known to make some rather large assumptions yourself, reading things into posts that never cross someone's mind. NM is right on this one. The 'tone' of the positive posts about Allardyce leads to a pretty fair conclusion that many people around here view him as someone who simply can't fail, a fantastic manager, best English manager, blah blah blah.

I'm dissapointed, I don't think he's a bad manager mind. But I just think we could have gotten someone better.

I still think Trond Sollied would have been the man for the job, would have loved to see what he could do with Newcastle.

No, the "perfect" thing was someones actual statement.

Is people want him, they must believe he will be a success, no?

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=bolton-to-cash%2Din-on-sam%26method=full%26objectid=19076669%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Bolton to cash-in on Sam

May 10 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Bolton will demand significant compensation should Sam Allardyce's appointment as Newcastle boss proceed as planned. But aggrieved officials have been told the situation represents comeuppance for the controversial manner in which he arrived at the Reebok Stadium.

Allardyce is the man Freddie Shepherd wants to take charge at St James's Park following Glenn Roeder's resignation and, although there is obvious interest in the vacant post from numerous hopeful coaches, the 52-year-old remains the first choice and the overwhelming favourite.

United officials remain steadfast in their determination to make no public comment on managerial matters until the Premiership season has ended this weekend. But once Sunday's final fixture at Vicarage Road has come to a close, Shepherd hopes an appointment will be prompt.

Among the issues that will have to be resolved prior to Allardyce's arrival will be Bolton's expected insistence that a sizeable compensation package be agreed.

The long-serving former Wanderers boss had two years remaining on his contract when he departed the Trotters in a dramatic fashion last month and chairman Phil Gartside (pictured left) is understood to be determined to seek recompense from his next employer. Developments are being monitored with interest in Nottingham.

Notts County's board accused Bolton of poaching Allardyce from Meadow Lane in 1999 and lodged a formal complaint with the Football League in regard to the circumstances in which he moved to the North-West. That English football's other Magpies have little sympathy for Bolton's plight is obvious.

"Let's just say that the circumstances in which Sam departed left us feeling that we had been shortchanged," said County's chief executive Geoff Davey, who still feels his club received harsh treatment during an unfortunate episode.

"I didn't know Phil Gartside at the time but I have subsequently met him a few times and happen to like him. I feel he's a good man who has done a good job for Bolton.

"At the time, he did what he had to do for his football club and I don't hold any grudges. But I think there will be an awful lot of people in Nottingham, and Notts County supporters, who will feel that he got his comeuppance if Sam Allardyce turns out to be the next manager at Newcastle. I think there are certainly parallels to be drawn between what happened to us and what might happen to Bolton."

The situation will not deter Shepherd from pursuing his sole target and the Newcastle chairman will feel, like Gartside did eight years ago, that he is justified in taking what he feels is the best course for his club. That course is Allardyce.

He will be interested by Davey's thoughts. County's officials remain adamant Bolton's actions were underhand, with Allardyce leaving Meadow Lane and pitching up at the Reebok Stadium soon after. Wanderers were fined but were not made to pay compensation.

Should Bolton seek compensation as expected - and like Newcastle, the Trotters have made no public comment on the matter - there will be a certain hypocrisy involved.

Yet whatever happens Shepherd will not be too concerned. Having decided Allardyce is the man to succeed where Roeder could not, he will press ahead with his plans and will hope to unveil his first choice successor in the not too distant future.

Although it seems inevitable Allardyce will be in charge next season, countless others continue to be linked with a position vacated at the weekend when Roeder resigned. One is Sven-Göran Eriksson and, although Shepherd has played down suggestions the Swede could find work on Tyneside on countless occasions in the past, it seems the ex-England boss would be interested in the post.

"There has been no contact whatsoever but if Newcastle were interested in Sven-Göran Eriksson, I am sure (he) would be interested in talking to Newcastle," said Athole Still, the Scandinavian's agent, last night. "Sven is keen to get back into club football and he would be interested in talking to any club which had real ambition."

Despite such comments, Eriksson is highly unlikely to find work in the North-East, a fact Still is aware of. "I happen to be a very good friend of Sam Allardyce and Sam seems to be nailed on for the job," he added. "The bookies have stopped taking bets."

Guest olybomp

I'm dissapointed, I don't think he's a bad manager mind. But I just think we could have gotten someone better.

I still think Trond Sollied would have been the man for the job, would have loved to see what he could do with Newcastle.

Trond Sollied :WHO???? what a joke!!!!

Guest Gav H

From an interview on Metro this afternoon.

Also the Bolton chairman was insistent that Allerdyce did not leave for another job.

:coolsmiley:

From an interview on Metro this afternoon.

Also the Bolton chairman was insistent that Allerdyce did not leave for another job.

:coolsmiley:

Sounds like old news to me, Back last week FS said he hasnt spoken to SA

Guest posadageordie

Beggars can't be choosers and all we can ask is for a manager with a fairly decent track record of improving teams,building clubs and motivating players.

I can't argue with Allardyce's appointment on those grounds and he'll get my 100% support.

Beggars can't be choosers and all we can ask is for a manager with a fairly decent track record of improving teams,building clubs and motivating players.

I can't argue with Allardyce's appointment on those grounds and he'll get my 100% support.

What about a track record of winning things? Or are we happy with a top 6 push every few years?

Guest posadageordie

What about a track record of winning things? Or are we happy with a top 6 push every few years?

In our current position I'd be delighted with that. Like I say, beggers can't be choosers, we aren't going to attract top managers because we aren't as big as we think we are. Allardyce is as good as we can get which is why I'll support him.

In our current position I'd be delighted with that. Like I say, beggers can't be choosers, we aren't going to attract top managers because we aren't as big as we think we are. Allardyce is as good as we can get which is why I'll support him.

i want to win something. And i don't see any evidence that we will under Fat Sam.

I'd rather get rid of the shite like Ameobi, Shambles and Dyer, and put some of their wages towards effectively buying a GOOD manager. Dyer is on what, 80k a week? 4m a year, that, and he's esentially a fucking makeweight, a sub at best.

Guest posadageordie

i want to win something. And i don't see any evidence that we will under Fat Sam.

I'd rather get rid of the s**** like Ameobi, Shambles and Dyer, and put some of their wages towards effectively buying a GOOD manager. Dyer is on what, 80k a week? 4m a year, that, and he's esentially a f****** makeweight, a sub at best.

Which trophy-winning managers do you think Newcastle can realistically attract?

I'd give you Sven or Houllier, and I'd be happy with Sven.

Trond Sollied :WHO???? what a joke!!!!

One of the most promising managers in the world at current mind you.

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/club=2610/coach.html

Trond Sollied

Tuesday, 1 August 2006

Date of birth: 29 April 1959

Nationality: Norwegian

Coaching career: FK Bodø/Glimt, Rosenborg BK, KAA Gent, Club Brugge KV, Olympiacos CFP

Trond Sollied is a Norwegian coach with the happy knack of winning titles in whatever country he has worked in. He took over at Olympiacos CFP in the summer of 2005 after a particularly successful spell with Club Brugge KV and continued his winning ways in Athens, leading Olympiacos to the league and cup double in his first season in charge.

Sollied enjoyed a relatively successful playing career, turning out for various clubs including Vålerenga IF, Rosenborg BK and FK Bodø/Glimt as well as winning 15 caps and scoring once for Norway. He began his coaching career at Bodø/Glimt in 1992 and, as player-coach, he led them to a Norwegian first division title, a second-placed finish in the top flight and third place in 1995. He was dismissed in 1996 after a dispute with the club's board and joined Rosenborg as assistant coach to Nils Arne Eggen. Rosenborg won the title that year and again in 1998 after Sollied had replaced Eggen as coach.

He subsequently moved to Belgium and after a brief spell at KAA Gent joined Club Brugge KV in the summer of 2000. His coaching philosophy of a physical approach and strong team spirit proved successful with two Belgian league titles in 2003 and 2005 and two cup successes in 2002 and 2004. He left the Belgian club in somewhat acrimonious circumstances in June 2005 before promptly taking over at Olympiacos. Despite a successful first season on the domestic front, Olympiacos were unable to make an impression in the UEFA Champions League.

Also apparently ranked 9th of "top ten managers" by UEFA some while ago.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/sports/article1412744.ece

I'm not going against the obvious though, I can't honestly thinking any other man than Big Sam getting the job. I'm just saying that I'd rather see Sollied in that position.

I'd rather get rid of the s**** like Ameobi, Shambles and Dyer, and put some of their wages towards effectively buying a GOOD manager. Dyer is on what, 80k a week? 4m a year, that, and he's esentially a f****** makeweight, a sub at best.

Which trophy-winning managers do you think Newcastle can realistically attract?

I'd give you Sven or Houllier, and I'd be happy with Sven.

Dunno, i'd like to see what £4m or so a year can attract, personally.

Dunno, .

QED.

Not all i put though, was it.

So you think that because some pessimistic geordie twat off the internet, who doens;t work in football, can't name a manager we could entice with £4-5m a year, that we should go for a fella like Allardyce???

You are the Fat Mans dream fan, mate. Just happy to put up with it, cos you've been so desensitised to by failure.

Guest posadageordie

Dunno, .

QED.

Not all i put though, was it.

So you think that because some pessimistic geordie t*** off the internet, who doens;t work in football, can't name a manager we could entice with £4-5m a year, that we should go for a fella like Allardyce???

You are the Fat Mans dream fan, mate. Just happy to put up with it, cos you've been so desensitised to by failure.

No, I just want to know who realistically a lower mid table side could attract who's won a shedload of trophies. You can't think of anyone despite saying it's what we need, I've suggest Eriksson and Houllier.