Allardyce supposedly as good as appointed - Happy or Disappointed?

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest geordiebaz

So, its defnelty looks like it is Allardyce who's in charge? Does anyone genuinely think that SA is comparable to the top4 managers at the mo? I honestly dont thin so. I believe that SA will be a good appointment, no doubt. I dont think he will be the best ne available though. I really wanted the club to look to a manger who is comparable to the top 4, the likes of scolari, and Sven for me are those type of people. These are people who hve a proen pedigree at gettin teams into the latter staeges and even final stages of major tournaments. Even Houllier has some form in that department (not in the same league as Sven and Phil though) for me, although what he did at bolton was remarkable, i dont think he's the man to break us into top4.

In my opinion, i dont want him here at newcastle. I think this club has top 4 potential, no doubt. more so than any other club. I am more worried by the fact that with all the years of mediocrity we have recently seen, we wil be fooled into thinkin that consistent top6 finishes are good enough for this club, from where we are at at the mo, yes, that would be good, but if it was the case for years to come, then i wont be happy. The oppurtunity to employ a person who can change the history of a club comes not very often, i think its high time newcastle at least attempt to seek a manger with the pedigree to bring this club where it belong.

We arent comparible to the top four clubs though so we cant expect a manger comparible to top 4 managers

So, its defnelty looks like it is Allardyce who's in charge? Does anyone genuinely think that SA is comparable to the top4 managers at the mo? I honestly dont thin so. I believe that SA will be a good appointment, no doubt. I dont think he will be the best ne available though. I really wanted the club to look to a manger who is comparable to the top 4, the likes of scolari, and Sven for me are those type of people. These are people who hve a proen pedigree at gettin teams into the latter staeges and even final stages of major tournaments. Even Houllier has some form in that department (not in the same league as Sven and Phil though) for me, although what he did at bolton was remarkable, i dont think he's the man to break us into top4.

In my opinion, i dont want him here at newcastle. I think this club has top 4 potential, no doubt. more so than any other club. I am more worried by the fact that with all the years of mediocrity we have recently seen, we wil be fooled into thinkin that consistent top6 finishes are good enough for this club, from where we are at at the mo, yes, that would be good, but if it was the case for years to come, then i wont be happy. The oppurtunity to employ a person who can change the history of a club comes not very often, i think its high time newcastle at least attempt to seek a manger with the pedigree to bring this club where it belong.

We arent comparible to the top four clubs though so we cant expect a manger comparible to top 4 managers

Exactly.

Exactly.

Daft way of looking at it, tbh. We want to be in that top 4 so we need a manager good enough as those managers to give us that chance.

Obvious, innit....

Exactly.

Daft way of looking at it, tbh. We want to be in that top 4 so we need a manager good enough as those managers to give us that chance.

Obvious, innit....

That's what I said.

If our goal is to do well in Europe, break the top 4 and win trophies then it makes sense to go for Houllier who has done all of the above.

Guest Knightrider

The same Houllier who told Sky Sports he wasn't interested? The same Houllier who is already at a club, a very good club who will be playing Champions League football next season?

Even if we did appoint Houllier there is no guarantee he'll take us back into those spots and even so, it will takes years for that to happen anyway.

Allardyce will at least build a club capable of challenging for such spots which is what we, erm, require, no?

Anyway SA is our new manager now.  :thup:

Gonna be brave and open up a can of worms here, but if anyone is 100% happy with SA, then they lack complete abitions for this club. This club has the hallmarks of title challengers. Just like Arsenal had early 90's? George Graham left so they went to lok at someone who would take them to the next stp, Arsene, Newcastle shold of been in that posiiton after SBR left, but instead of loooking forward we looked at where we are at. We ended up with Souness, because the criteria for the job at the time was to instill discipline. At this point n the clubs history, it is time to find someone who is capble of taking us all  the way to the top 4, not someone who's primary ambitions is to make us top 8. What SAd at bolton was very good,but he only manged to get bolton in europe once? now for me, the way i look at it is a maory unlooked point. With all the stability that bolton had, despite the lack of transfer funds SA could not consistley get them into europe, somethin he should be able to do in my opinion. (They achieved in once with limited resources, why should things change?)

If you have a punctured tyre on ya bike, you can do 2 things,you can repair the puncture or ya can buy a new tyre, if you repair to the trye, it'll do well for ya for the time being, but its gonna fall apart  soonenough, if ya buy a new tyre, ya problems automatically ae solved and you can still set out to achive what you want.

Nufc are perrenial trye repairers.

Anyoe lookin for SA to fix al our problems are tyre repairers too.

You seem to have overlooked the fact that our stock has dramatically fallen over the last couple of seasons.. In the meantime, Sam Allardyce's stock has been rising all the time due to him proving to be able to be European place challengers season after season with a club of much, much smaller potential than ourselves. We will be clamouring onto Allardyce hoping he can also do it at a bigger stage, and if he can I am certain we will be challenging the top 4 spots in a few seasons time. If you think the likes of Scolari and Hiddink would even give us a second glance you're living in the past. Now as for Sven, don't get me started, he would be a substanceless big name signing if ever there was one. Completely the wrong type of character for our club at its current stage, no matter how good his CV is. For once we seem to be looking at what we've been doing wrong all these years and setting out to correcting it, starting by bringing in somebody with first hand experience of completely changing a club around inside and out and bringing it to another level professionally. If this plan succeeds, we may then be an interesting club for the higher level of manager that could really make us a title challenging side (unless we plan to just hand the club over to Shearer on a sliver platter of course, which is highly likely)..

Allardyce has never been given a chance at a big club before, and he did a terrific job at Bolton AND Notts County. To suggest that he isn't capable of turning us in to a top-4 club again seems a bit daft to me. He has a great record everywhere he's been, this is the first time he'll be at a club that has top-4 potential. I'm confident he's smart enough to be a huge success.

Gonna be brave and open up a can of worms here, but if anyone is 100% happy with SA, then they lack complete abitions for this club. This club has the hallmarks of title challengers. Just like Arsenal had early 90's? George Graham left so they went to lok at someone who would take them to the next stp, Arsene, Newcastle shold of been in that posiiton after SBR left, but instead of loooking forward we looked at where we are at. We ended up with Souness, because the criteria for the job at the time was to instill discipline. At this point n the clubs history, it is time to find someone who is capble of taking us all  the way to the top 4, not someone who's primary ambitions is to make us top 8. What SAd at bolton was very good,but he only manged to get bolton in europe once? now for me, the way i look at it is a maory unlooked point. With all the stability that bolton had, despite the lack of transfer funds SA could not consistley get them into europe, somethin he should be able to do in my opinion. (They achieved in once with limited resources, why should things change?)

If you have a punctured tyre on ya bike, you can do 2 things,you can repair the puncture or ya can buy a new tyre, if you repair to the trye, it'll do well for ya for the time being, but its gonna fall apart  soonenough, if ya buy a new tyre, ya problems automatically ae solved and you can still set out to achive what you want.

Nufc are perrenial trye repairers.

Anyoe lookin for SA to fix al our problems are tyre repairers too.

how long did it take man utd to be happy with ferguson,i know some arsenal fans who wax lyrical about what they thought when wenger was appointed (not happy at the time),mourinho hasn't been such a star this year and benitez has never challenged for the LFC holy grail(the title).

with allardyce we'll  be organised,the interest will be if his style of football changes with the supposed better quality he can get his hands on here.

Allardyce has never been given a chance at a big club before, and he did a terrific job at Bolton AND Notts County. To suggest that he isn't capable of turning us in to a top-4 club again seems a bit daft to me. He has a great record everywhere he's been, this is the first time he'll be at a club that has top-4 potential. I'm confident he's smart enough to be a huge success.

I agree.

i am the first to rule out Hiddink, for me they are managers who the top 4 will be lookin to, tbh, for me its between Sven adn SA and to rule out a class manger who does in actuall fact have managerial skill would be bizarre. There are so many managers who say they would like to manage in england sometime. Surely not everyone's ambitios are to manage to top 4 exclusiely???

All i am simply tryin to point out is the lack of ambition this club actually has if after only one week of speculation we are already going for SA, rather than pursuing a different direction.

Like i said, i hate the fact that this club had SA nailed on for the job as soon as he became available even though we had a manager. Reeked of desperation.

Does anyone genuinely think SVEn couldn't get us into the top4? Does anyon genuinely belive SA is a better manager than Sven?

Supposing nufc were to be in the exact same situation 3 years down the line we eithe SA or Sven, who do you thik the next manager would like to take over from, sven or SA? assume we wee consistenly top 6?

Feel likeam going onto a bit of a tangent, gonna go lie down rest  head.

Does anyone genuinely think SVEn couldn't get us into the top4? Does anyon genuinely belive SA is a better manager than Sven?

Yes on both counts as far as I am concerned. I don't like him as a person, nor as a manager. He managed to make England play like Germany at their worst..

Gonna be brave and open up a can of worms here, but if anyone is 100% happy with SA, then they lack complete abitions for this club. This club has the hallmarks of title challengers. Just like Arsenal had early 90's? George Graham left so they went to lok at someone who would take them to the next stp, Arsene,

It is very easy to admire with hindsight Arsenal's appointment of Wenger, but what would your reaction be right now if Newcastle appointed someone who had won the French league and then spent a few years rattling around in Japan?

How does any club outside the top four - no, actually, three of the top four - have the hallmark of a title challenger? Clubs with pretensions to challenge for the title at any point soon don't find themselves in the bottom half of the table, or rattling around in the mid reaches.

There might be better managers than SA around  but that's not what it is about. It is about great managers who are *willing* to come to a mid table Premiership club, one with great potential yes, but mid table nonetheless.

He might not be the most glamourous name around, he might not have managed Atletico Bumchaff to 12 Spanish League titles, but he's almost certainly the best man currently available and willing to take the job.

Gonna be brave and open up a can of worms here, but if anyone is 100% happy with SA, then they lack complete abitions for this club. This club has the hallmarks of title challengers. Just like Arsenal had early 90's? George Graham left so they went to lok at someone who would take them to the next stp, Arsene,

It is very easy to admire with hindsight Arsenal's appointment of Wenger, but what would your reaction be right now if Newcastle appointed someone who had won the French league and then spent a few years rattling around in Japan?

How does any club outside the top four - no, actually, three of the top four - have the hallmark of a title challenger? Clubs with pretensions to challenge for the title at any point soon don't find themselves in the bottom half of the table, or rattling around in the mid reaches.

There might be better managers than SA around  but that's not what it is about. It is about great managers who are *willing* to come to a mid table Premiership club, one with great potential yes, but mid table nonetheless.

He might not be the most glamourous name around, he might not have managed Atletico Bumchaff to 12 Spanish League titles, but he's almost certainly the best man currently available and willing to take the job.

Top post

Guest gggg
Yes on both counts as far as I am concerned. I don't like him as a person, nor as a manager. He managed to make England play like Germany at their worst..

He made us play like a team who've been better than us for about 40 years? blimey

Top post

Absolutely!

I guess what it comes down to is people personal opinions on who is better of sven or SA?

In my opinion, Sven is proven everywhere, at club level. Dont get me wrong, i beleive SA will turn out to be a good appointemtn, i just prayed this time that newcastle looked for a great appionment. which hasn't been the case.

Svenhas done it everywhere his club CV is immaculate, (anyone, who compares him to Souness  and Dalglish needs a slap), he has the proven pedigree to gt a team to the later stages of a major cp competition. Something which knowone below the top 4 has achieved, (Mclaren didn't do it consistently and was largely lucky.) How anyone can put SA above Sven is beyond me.

In my entire stupidity I said to my mates we should have gone all out to get Jurgen Klinsmann in.

He turned Germany around just before last summers world cup,

He's a German - if he lives up to the stereotype, he'll take no s***,

He's a massive name who players, especially young ones, will want to play for.

He's also a massive, massive gamble. For former top players who make shit managers, look no further than Van Basten or indeed Klinsman. For the world cup, especially in your home country, players will be pretty much self-motivated. Motivating Newcastle for an away match against Wigan is an altogether different cattle of fish..

Guest SeattleToon

If BigSam is indeed appointed, I would be very disappointed. As fredbob noted in an earlier post, it's an appointment that reeks of a lack of ambition. Allardyce can probably get us back into the UEFA Cup places, but we will never win the FA Cup or get back into the Champion's League with him in charge. Mark my words.

Note also that Allardyce is English, that the last English manager to win the title or FA Cup was Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in 1992-93. Not only do all of the top four clubs have non-English managers, but so do Spurs, who have become a much better club under Jol.

Do they know something that we don't?

If BigSam is indeed appointed, I would be very disappointed. As fredbob noted in an earlier post, it's an appointment that reeks of a lack of ambition. Allardyce can probably get us back into the UEFA Cup places, but we will never win the FA Cup or get back into the Champion's League with him in charge. Mark my words.

Note also that Allardyce is English, that the last English manager to win the title or FA Cup was Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in 1992-93. Not only do all of the top four clubs have non-English managers, but so do Spurs, who have become a much better club under Jol.

Do they know something that we don't?

aye,scottishfootball is so much better........................ferguson and wenger are now english as far as football goes.

Motivating Newcastle for an away match against Wigan is an altogether different cattle of fish..

Does it really matter what the manager can do when they can't even do it despite 5,000+ loyal, travelling fans behind the goal spurring them on?

Seemingly so, otherwise we wouldn't be where we are now?

Agreed with Seattle. I would be happy with SA to an extent because he will give the club what it needs badly...OFF the pitch. just thnk that the oppurtunity to appiont a manager doesn't come every so often. So when it does, i tink its uninspring when we go for a manager one week after losing our last one. To not even attempt to look at the potentials out there, is absurd in my opinion. OF all the managers whohave openely stated that they would like to manage in EPL one time, are you sayin to me that their ambitions are only stretched to managing the top 4?  I am 100% certain that there is one manger out there who has ambitions to manage this diamond in the rough.