Owen To Leave?

Dinho lad

If Newcastle waited another season so there would only be 1 year remaining, wouldn't Owen be entitled to pay up his contract to Newcastle and be free to go?  One year's wages would be say £5.5m, which wouldn't be much of a return on the investment bearing in mind how few matches he has played for you.

Yep. There's that Andy Webster ruling which puts a massive spanner in the works as well. Best thing to do is sell for as much as poss now, tbh.

Mind - the Webster ruling would mean Owen could only leave to play in another European country.

Guest Ridzuan

Despite all the rumours,I still firmly believe that Owen will not leave.He owes a lot of things to us and he has said recently that he feel guilty being injured for a long time and that he cant play for us.I expect him to be a man of his words and stay next season after everything that has been done for him while he is out injured.If he does leave,I will hate him,unless its the new managers decision.

Guest WalkervilleMag

£9 million my ar4e.  £12 million is probably the correct figure. but I think it is near enough certain that he will join Man United in the summer. 

He clearly does not want to be here. Great striker, but for the money he is on and we are not guarnteed that we would get 20 games out of him next season then maybe it will be for the best.

Our wage bill is almost upto the 70% of turnover mark, which is very worrying indeed, and we need to start reducing that, and Owen,Dyer,Bramble,Carr off  our bill would reduce that significantly.

Owen out for £12 million,  Anelka or Bent for £7 or £8 million

If Freddie is stupid enough to bid £17 million for a player who said that he didn't want to come here except on loan, then he's stupid enough to agree to this kind of release clause.

I wonder whether the Owen situation has influenced the Board's decision to get in a new manager asap, in the hope that a new face can persuade him to stay. The way things were going, you couldn't really blame Owen for opting for Man U.

Letting go the only world class player in our squad for less than we paid for him will be good business anyway, according to some.

It's not the first time they said that his release clause is less than 10m.

I'm kinda worried.

Surely Shepherd aint that daft?

I'd be happy for there to be a release clause as I'd love to see MO playing regularly at WHL, I think he and Berbatov would be a superb partnership. 

Unfortunately, I think Owen will go to Man Utd and Darren Bent will go to Spurs in spite of Liverpool's interest in DB.  He doesn't want to leave London (apparently).

Guest Gav H

Owen has already gave his "I'm happy at Newcastle Speech".

This is paper talk once again.

Expect plenty more before the close of the transfer window.

SSN now giving this story air time now, ah this pisses me right off, the print totoal bollocks every day, yet this will be treat as gospeal.

Skirge you quote how man SSN stories every day? :D

SSN now giving this story air time now, ah this pisses me right off, the print totoal bollocks every day, yet this will be treat as gospeal.

Point is there are shit loads of crap stories like this every day thet they totaly ignore, but this involves the Toon and Owen so its been on every 20 mins..

Guest sharath

Point is there are s*** loads of crap stories like this every day thet they totaly ignore, but this involves the Toon and Owen so its been on every 20 mins..

more than that it involves manchester united. :razz:

I'd be happy for there to be a release clause as I'd love to see MO playing regularly at WHL, I think he and Berbatov would be a superb partnership. 

Unfortunately, I think Owen will go to Man Utd and Darren Bent will go to Spurs in spite of Liverpool's interest in DB.  He doesn't want to leave London (apparently).

Why would he go to Spurs? :lol:

He wouldn't but I'd still love to see him playing alongside  Berbatov.  Even if Levy did stump up the money and MO was happy to move to London, not much chance of fitting Owen into our wages structure! :'( :lol:

Everyone would win if we got good money for him and replaced him with someone far more athletic, and he ends up at a bigger club where he'll get the opportunity to be rested and rotated as he was at Real Madrid.

Not sure we are anywhere near the level to afford the luxury of a poacher who does nothing else for the team at a club that isnt in the position to have a good enough rotation of forwards to cover for his potential injury problems.

This summer especially is a good time to shop for forwards. Anelka, Tevez, Huntelaar, Pizzaro, must be someone of that calibre we can land, and if not, therell surely be someone like Bent, Saviola or Defoe available for an inflated but nevertheless acceptable price.

He wouldn't but I'd still love to see him playing alongside  Berbatov.  Even if Levy did stump up the money and MO was happy to move to London, not much chance of fitting Owen into our wages structure! :'( :lol:

Owen and Berbatov "could" be the best partnership in europe imo...Depending on MO future form

Owen and Berbatov "could" be the best partnership in europe imo...Depending on MO future form

Too similar for my liking. Need one of them to drop deep or go wide and give let the other do the poaching, and neither of those players are good at doing one or the other of those.

Too similar for my liking. Need one of them to drop deep or go wide and give let the other do the poaching, and neither of those players are good at doing one or the other of those.

MO and Berbatov too similar? Are you kidding me or have i missed something?

Positionally, which is the most important aspect of a partnership.

No different to having Van Nistelrooy and Berbatov in the same team.

Except that MO is quicker (not as quick as before)

MO is great at picking up the space between the backfour and the goalkeeper. And Berbatov could be the genius link to him just in front of the backfour.

If it's ever going to happen that those two played together i would easily make a big bet that they would be successful.

Berbatov is great at hold up play and linking in other players. His assists this season show that.