Owen To Leave?

Dinho lad

Guest kingdawson

Progress in the Cups in misleading like.  :lol:

f****** Plymouth made the QF of the FA Cup too....

Lost to the first good team they played in the UEFA Cup....

Man. U took the Carling Cup so seriously Southend knocked them out...

Christ, we've had a s**** season and we did them home & away...

Going backwards lads. 

Was just making a point that all the extra matches dosent seem to have effected our league form much.

So a few points from 4th to probable 6th is an improvement?  :nope:

"Few points of 4th", i love the wording you use. Facts are we finished 5th last season and were hopefully gonna finish the same place this season. Add to that the cup runs which therefore make it an improvement from last season.

Guest kingdawson

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of time you two c***s spend on this board.  It's ridiculous.  I guarantee you post more on here than any other board.  Tottenham to us are like Hartlepool to you, why bother?

It never ceases to amaze me how much time you spend arguing with them

You've always got some comment to make you.

He's right tbh. You constantly go on about how significant we are to you yet youre usually the one bringing us up and commenting about us. Weird for someone that isnt supposed to care about us :idiot2:. Hell you even had a quote about spurs on your sign. ;D.

A joke you are my friend ;D.

;D INSIGNFICANT you idiot

Yeh corrected that. Still dosent change the fact 90% of the things you say is a steaming pile of crap.

Going backwards lads. 

Was just making a point that all the extra matches dosent seem to have effected our league form much.

"Few points of 4th", i love the wording you use. Facts are we finished 5th last season and were hopefully gonna finish the same place this season. Add to that the cup runs which therefore make it an improvement from last season.

How many points behind them were you then? 3? 4? Can't be arsed to look. Wasn't fucking many, I know that!

So what you're basically saying is that you can only mount a serious tilt at the top 4 if you sacrifice the cups?

Guest kingdawson

Going backwards lads. 

How many points behind them were you then? 3? 4? Can't be arsed to look. Wasn't f****** many, I know that!

just find it strange that you refer to it as a few points behind 4th" rather then just plain and simply calling it 5th.

Going backwards lads. 

How many points behind them were you then? 3? 4? Can't be arsed to look. Wasn't f****** many, I know that!

just find it strange that you refer to it as a few points behind 4th" rather then just plain and simply calling it 5th.

If the gap was 20 points between 4th and 5th what would you say? Close to CL?

If the gap was 2 points between 4th and 5th what would you say? Close to CL?

Not that hard is it?

So FFS has just come out and challenged Owen to pledge his loyalty to the club. This removes all doubt for me that there is a low-ball get-out clause in his contract.

Does the UK have laws that protect the interests of shareholders from negligence?  Surely buying a player and having re-sale clause that is less than 2/3rds than the buy price and no other conditions is negligent?  It's like buying a Porsche for $250,000 and allowing the car dealer to insert a clause that if someone wants to buy it from you for $150,000 you have to sell.  That's insane!!!!!!!

So FFS has just come out and challenged Owen to pledge his loyalty to the club. This removes all doubt for me that there is a low-ball get-out clause in his contract.

Does the UK have laws that protect the interests of shareholders from negligence?  Surely buying a player and having re-sale clause that is less than 2/3rds than the buy price and no other conditions is negligent?  It's like buying a Porsche for $250,000 and allowing the car dealer to insert a clause that if someone wants to buy it from you for $150,000 you have to sell.  That's insane!!!!!!!

He's trying to cover himself but has left it far too late. Doesn't look good in my opinion. Very unprofessional but what's new.

Shepherd challenges Owen to pledge his loyalty

Michael Walker

Thursday May 10, 2007

The Guardian

Michael Owen's position at Newcastle has come under scrutiny after the public emergence of a £9m get-out clause in his contract. The uncertainty over the striker's commitment to Newcastle, which has been present ever since the day he arrived at St James' Park, has increased markedly with the revelation of the clause and the chairman, Freddy Shepherd, last night challenged the striker to pledge his future to the club.

"I'm telling Michael he has two choices," said Shepherd. "He either comes out and tells our fans, who have taken him to their hearts, that he is happy here or I tell him that not one of the big four clubs, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool, are interested in him. Because that's the case. The loyalty this club has shown him over the last two years when he had injury problems in his first season and has missed virtually all of this season deserves something in return."

Having played in only 14 Newcastle games since his £17.5m transfer from Real Madrid in August 2005, Owen has expressed "guilt" about his metatarsal and knee ligament injuries blighting his Newcastle career but there has been no definitive statement from him that he will be a Newcastle player in August.

There is an expectation inside and outside the club that Owen will feel a sense of moral obligation towards Newcastle after they rehabilitated him following his knee injury at last year's World Cup and paid more than half of his weekly wage of £115,000. But, while the forward has talked of his guilt at missing about 16 of the 21 months he has been on Tyneside, there has been no confirmation from the player that he will stay for next season.

Newcastle fans would like to hear Owen say he will be at St James' regardless of offers this summer. In Saturday's match programme Owen responded to a question about his future by saying he would "hopefully play and score more goals for Newcastle United"; but he did not use the words "next season".

Owen said in October in an after-dinner speech: "In terms of how long I stay at Newcastle, I'm here as long as everybody wants me. I had four years on my contract when I signed last year, so I would say at least that length of time and then you'd have to ask the chairman for the rest."

Newcastle would like to hear something comparable now as would, presumably, Sam Allardyce, the former Bolton manager, who is expected to be announced as Glenn Roeder's successor next week, although it is understood no contract has been signed and there are prolonged discussions over the make-up and size of Allardyce's potential backroom staff.

I don't think he'll leave, I don't think we'll be selling him and I also believe that he does feel some guilt about what's happened, even though it's not his fault. Think it's all paper talk designed to unsettle him, like the Rob Lee stories of old.

If I did leave though, I can't even say what I'd want our players to do to him next season, it borders on the sadistic.

"I'm telling Michael he has two choices," said Shepherd. "He either comes out and tells our fans, who have taken him to their hearts, that he is happy here or I tell him that not one of the big four clubs, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool, are interested in him. Because that's the case. The loyalty this club has shown him over the last two years when he had injury problems in his first season and has missed virtually all of this season deserves something in return."

I can't even begin to say how stupid this comment is. The fat man is basically taunting Owen. I guess this statement proves that Owen does, indeed, have a buy out clause. With statements like these, there may well quickly become interest in Owen.

Isn't it 'pathetic' that Shepherd acknowledges the actual existence of the 'press-created' Big Four Clubs.

My god, just how FAR have we fallen in the last two seasons.

Hello - Aston Villa, Everton and Spurs.

Guest smoggeordie

Michael Walker

Thursday May 10, 2007

The Guardian

Michael Owen's position at Newcastle has come under scrutiny after the public emergence of a £9m get-out clause in his contract. The uncertainty over the striker's commitment to Newcastle, which has been present ever since the day he arrived at St James' Park, has increased markedly with the revelation of the clause and the chairman, Freddy Shepherd, last night challenged the striker to pledge his future to the club.

Having played in only 14 Newcastle games since his £17.5m transfer from Real Madrid in August 2005, Owen has expressed "guilt" about his metatarsal and knee ligament injuries blighting his Newcastle career but there has been no definitive statement from him that he will be a Newcastle player in August.

There is an expectation inside and outside the club that Owen will feel a sense of moral obligation towards Newcastle after they rehabilitated him following his knee injury at last year's World Cup and paid more than half of his weekly wage of £115,000. But, while the forward has talked of his guilt at missing about 16 of the 21 months he has been on Tyneside, there has been no confirmation from the player that he will stay for next season.

Newcastle fans would like to hear Owen say he will be at St James' regardless of offers this summer. In Saturday's match programme Owen responded to a question about his future by saying he would "hopefully play and score more goals for Newcastle United"; but he did not use the words "next season".

Owen said in October in an after-dinner speech: "In terms of how long I stay at Newcastle, I'm here as long as everybody wants me. I had four years on my contract when I signed last year, so I would say at least that length of time and then you'd have to ask the chairman for the rest."

Newcastle would like to hear something comparable now as would, presumably, Sam Allardyce, the former Bolton manager, who is expected to be announced as Glenn Roeder's successor next week, although it is understood no contract has been signed and there are prolonged discussions over the make-up and size of Allardyce's potential backroom staff.

Merc'd :lol:

Michael Walker

Thursday May 10, 2007

The Guardian

:violent4:  :tearyeyed:

Guest Gemmill

Why are we carrying this out in the papers ffs?  This sort of thing is one of Shepherd's biggest failings imo.  Him, Owen and Owen's agent should have sat down in a room and got to the bottom of this.  The last thing he should be doing is going to the papers and saying "Yeah well Michael better stay, and even if he wants to go, does he really think any of the good clubs want him?!"  Fucking hell, that's the chairman publically taking the piss out of the club's most prized asset.  WTF?!

Isn't it 'pathetic' that Shepherd acknowledges the actual existence of the 'press-created' Big Four Clubs.

My god, just how FAR have we fallen in the last two seasons.

Hello - Aston Villa, Everton and Spurs.

You don't think there's a big 4? I do, and i think we are an incredible distance behind them. There are at least 4 tiers in the premiership, and whilst we should be looking to dominate the 2nd one, we are an average club in the 3rd.

As for the "hello Everton, Aston Villa and Spurs" thing, they are the clubs we should be alongside, but are not. Anyone who thinks we are a bigger club than Everton or Spurs is a fucking idiot.

As for the "hello Everton, Aston Villa and Spurs" thing, they are the clubs we should be alongside, but are not. Anyone who thinks we are a bigger club than Everton or Spurs is a f****** idiot.

Anybody who doesn't think we're a bigger club than them, is a total wank, simple as that really.

As for the "hello Everton, Aston Villa and Spurs" thing, they are the clubs we should be alongside, but are not. Anyone who thinks we are a bigger club than Everton or Spurs is a f****** idiot.

Anybody who doesn't think we're a bigger club than them, is a total wank, simple as that really.

You're doing it again, Stevie. That whole "we're a big club nonesense". PLEase god don't base it on stadium size again.

Guest Gemmill

The whole "we're a bigger club than them" argument is pointless anyway.  You get fuck all for being notionally bigger than another club.  We're still shite on the pitch, and of the three clubs mentioned, I would say all of them are currently run better than we are.  What is our "bigger" status doing for us?

Anybody who doesn't think we're a bigger club than them, is a total w***, simple as that really.

You're doing it again, Stevie. That whole "we're a big club nonesense". PLEase god don't base it on stadium size again.

I base it on many, many things.  Infinitely bigger fanbase, infinitely better resources over a 15 year period, a recent history of competing seriously for Champions League places, a larger wage pool to attract new players, a far bigger turnover over a long period, far better facilities, only an idiot could doubt we're a bigger club.  Everton ramshackle of a ground, top 5 once in 15 years, Tottenham, have their best side since 1991 and are still no where near the Champions League, it's a ridiculous argument.

The whole "we're a bigger club than them" argument is pointless anyway.  You get fuck all for being notionally bigger than another club.  We're still shite on the pitch, and of the three clubs mentioned, I would say all of them are currently run better than we are.  What is our "bigger" status doing for us?

Well, it doesn't actually exist, because if you are shite, you are shite. And we ARE worse than those 3, by some margin in 2 cases.

Newcastle fans can continue with the "we're a big club" lie if they want, but lets not pretend that we shoudl be competing in a higher tier of the league than Everton and Spurs are in, because thats our goal realisticaly for the forseeable future, not top 4.

Anybody who doesn't think we're a bigger club than them, is a total w***, simple as that really.

I base it on many, many things.  Infinitely bigger fanbase, infinitely better resources over a 15 year period, a recent history of competing seriously for Champions League places, a larger wage pool to attract new players, a far bigger turnover over a long period, far better facilities, only an idiot could doubt we're a bigger club.  Everton ramshackle of a ground, top 5 once in 15 years, Tottenham, have their best side since 1991 and are still no where near the Champions League, it's a ridiculous argument.

Nicely chosen criteria, Stevie.

This whole "we're a bigger club than X" thing is so fucking small time. Surely the best criteria to be a big club is that big clubs WIN THINGS. That's the one criteria you mysteriously left out, though. Funny that.

I wonder how the big 4 feel as they're mopping up the trophies year after year, and the second tranche of clubs are involved in petty point scoring and bickering about stuff that really does not matter.

They'll be pissing themselves laughing, one imagines .... "ooh, they've seriously competed for CL places 10 years ago, how nice" whilst they go back to polishing their trophies.

This is a pointless argument.

Until recently (VERY recently) I would have always classed us as a PERMANENT member of a 'Big Five' (Financially : which is the main thing and we still have that / and support/fame-wise / and "potential" (sadly, only POTENTIAL) to win loads of things and challenge for the Premiership season-in, season-out).

We have slipped, even from this position, over the last two seasons (ONLY over the last two seasons).

Remember, Chelsea are not, by any stretch of even the thickest persons braindead imagination, a "BIG" club.

They are a JOKE. A joke that goes bankrupt (afresh) every year!!!!!!!!!!   Bankrupt, out-of-business - GONE, afresh, every year - be it by "£85 Million" (2005) or by "£145 Million" (2006) or whatever it is, afresh, each year.  They get "Russian Grants and Donations" that rescue them from bankruptcy, every year (at the moment).  It will not last, the bloke will be off soon, then they will VANISH.

Also, so many people confuse "Current successful T E A M" with "Large C L U B".  Just because a small CLUB (like Chelsea, though they are an 'extreme' and artificial example) currently has a successful TEAM, that doesn't make them a part of any invented 'Big Four'

There will be silly people who cannot (will not?) understand what I am saying. That sort of person always thinks that "whatever is NOW always will be" - they cannot see how 'transitional' (temporary) certain aspects of 'now' are!!

Our status will never change, no matter how often little Monkeys decry it.