Another Allardyce topic.

Guest JamesD

If people are expecting a 5th place finish next season then i wouldn't blame any manager for not wanting this job. The expectation is absolutely ridiculous for a club with so many poor players, such a small squad, and has had three piss poor seasons in a row.

Edit: And an actual viewable progression of the clubs structure and players performance.

Something like this is all that I ask.  I'd be pleased if we did something similar to Aston Villa's season this year.

If people are expecting a 5th place finish next season then i wouldn't blame any manager for not wanting this job. The expectation is absolutely ridiculous for a club with so many poor players, such a small squad, and has had three piss poor seasons in a row.

Who's expecting 5th? I'd say it's the very best we (or anyone else outside the top 4) could possibly be expected to do (i.e. we are very unlikely to break into the top 4). Will we get 5th? Christ knows but I bet people didn't expect Bobby to take us from 11th to 4th in one season. We may get relegated for all we know!

Who's expecting 5th? I'd say it's the very best we could possibly be expected to do (i.e. we are very unlikely to break into the top 4). Will we get 5th? Christ knows but I bet people didn't expect Bobby to take us from 11th to 4th in one season. We may get relegated for all we know!

Bobby done one hell of a job but he didn't do that in one season really did he. In his first season he finished 13th if i remember correctly then he finished 11th then 4th. He did jump from 11th to 4th of course in the space of a season but he built the foundations for it in the two seasons before that. He steadied the ship in his first season with hardly any money, then it has to be said he did waste some money in his second season, before he got it right in the summer of 2001.

Bobby went from 14th one season to 4th the next. A lot of that was because of the performances of the newly purchased Bellamy and Robert. If the new manager does the business 5th should be our (semi) realistic target.

Went from 11th (twice) to 4th.

Aye Bobby had build foundations

ps They're dead important

Had he? How many of his signings that he'd used to "rebuild", before Bellamy & Robert, were important in our top 4 finishes? The likes of Cort, Gallacher, Bassedas, Cordone, Gavilan...only really Acuna, and that was only about 20 appearances in one of the seasons. The foundations were already there before Bobby came in.

Bobby went from 14th one season to 4th the next. A lot of that was because of the performances of the newly purchased Bellamy and Robert. If the new manager does the business 5th should be our (semi) realistic target.

I stand corrected. By the way, I'm not saying blow the transfer budget on two players and expect the same to happen (we've been trying that for years). What my point was that it's amazing sometimes how a little change to the playing staff can have a big difference.

Your example is self-defeating. Bellamy and Robert made the right kind of difference only after two seasons of squad building/overhauling by Robson.

We obviously need to give Allardyce some time. I don't expect miracles by the end of next season, but I think we'll be able to recognise progress if we see it.

The foundations were there before Robson came in. All it needed after Gullit was a top-class left-winger, and a pacy striker to play off Shearer. I'm surprised it took nearly 2 seasons for him to find it, and even then, Bellamy & Robert were his second choices behind Jeffers & Zenden! If we take a typical Newcastle side from that 2001-2 season, (Given, Hughes, Distin/Elliott, O'Brien, Dabizas, Solano, Robert, Dyer, Speed, Shearer, Bellamy). Only two were main players, the left-back area & O'Brien still weren't the greatest.

Had he? How many of his signings that he'd used to "rebuild", before Bellamy & Robert, were important in our top 4 finishes? The likes of Cort, Gallacher, Bassedas, Cordone, Gavilan...only really Acuna, and that was only about 20 appearances in one of the seasons. The foundations were already there before Bobby came in.

Gallacher was a very important signing though. He also brought Helder in on loan.

Gallacher was a very important signing though. He also brought Helder in on loan.

How many games did they play the season we came 4th? ;)

The foundations were there before Robson came in. All it needed after Gullit was a top-class left-winger, and a pacy striker to play off Shearer. I'm surprised it took nearly 2 seasons for him to find it, and even then, Bellamy & Robert were his second choices behind Jeffers & Zenden! If we take a typical Newcastle side from that 2001-2 season, (Given, Hughes, Distin/Elliott, O'Brien, Dabizas, Solano, Robert, Dyer, Speed, Shearer, Bellamy). Only two were main players, the left-back area & O'Brien still weren't the greatest.

He was a bit f***** in his 2nd season in charge though. Shearer was knackered for the whole season. He was injured for quite a big part of it, and in the games he did play he was s**** mostly. He wasn't even training properly for most of the season i don't think. He played worse than he played under Gullit and at times worse than he played in his last couple of seasons here. I remember it very well because i used to have argument after argument with my mates when they were saying he was finished, but it was obvious he was just playing totally unfit. Thats a big reason why we didn't really progress in Bobbys 2nd season.

How many games did they play the season we came 4th? ;)

Ah shit, misread your post.

I suppose my point is, it only takes a decent enough appointment to fill-in the gaps where we're weak (full-backs and a centre-back), and I think we'll have a good season.

That's also what I was trying to get at. Another example is Everton finished 4th bottom in the 2003-2004 season but then finished 4th in the 2004-2005 season.

I dont think 5th is too unrealistic i mean bolton were there when he left and on paper we have a much stronger squad then them. I think 5th place is easily achievable tbh and any team this season round mid table could have gotten there if they had been just a tad more consistant! I think Sam will get us into the top 7 and back into europe and with a bit of luck maybe challenging the top 4 the season after next

I'd be hoping for a top 8 finish realistically. It's hard to say though - I'd probably rather we were consistently 'quite good' and hovered around 8th all season and finished there that start horrendously but go on a good run and finish 7th a la last season. What I'd really be looking for in the first season is a progression - after that expectations can begin to go up some.