I can't really think of another club that will make a challenge on the top 4.

Parky

We beat top four sides this year with the blind leading the blind.

We beat Liverpool, drew some and got generally raped in the other games.  Its a myth we done well against the top 4.

It's a bigger myth that this club is fucked. :rolleyes:

Henry paast his prime, hmm dunno about that like, he had a few injuries this season and missed a good few games or I am sure he would be up there with the top goals scorers. Arsenal play great football their passing game is awesome all they lacked this season was a striker to finsih of the cnaces they created, once Hanry and VP are back wathc em fly...

At the moment, I would say the Spurs have the best shot of breaking the top four. They'll also be looking for defenders in the summer, and if they get them, they'll have a shot. Truthfully, I think we have a long way to go to get into the Champion's League. If we can get a 6th-7th place finish next year, I will consider that a huge success; then go from there.

We got to 7th under Roeder with a totally demoralised side in danger of relegation. There is no reason we can't challenge for top 4 next year.

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose I was just assuming that we're going to have a couple years of rebuilding ahead of us.

All this stuff about re-building is oft regurgitated on here and yes it has its place....Tell me how much rebuilding had Pompey done when they were 4th in the first 1/3 of the season? None.

That means nothing, tbh. We were 3rd at one point and hovered around places 3-6 for a while, it means nish. The only thing that matters is the place at the end of the season.

FWIW, the top four are light years ahead of the likes of Villa, Newcastle, Everton. Spurs are closest to catching up, but i reckon it is going to take one of the top four to actively screw up and drop out as much as it is about another team stepping up.

I honestly don't see the cause for thinking Newcastle are the best placed to challenge, seems like boundless optimism to me. Certainly compared to, say, Spurs (much as i dislike the idea of bigging up Spurs), when you're on course for a bottom half of the table finish.

We beat top four sides this year with the blind leading the blind.

Is there anybody on this board that can take some postives for us? :footy:

It's not that I'm not looking at this positively. I'm just being realistic. I'd be very happy with a 6-7th place finish next year. Actually, I'd be happy with a Top 10 finish, with a squad that gave it their all. I'm just thinking one step at a time is all.

Guest kingdawson

I hope that Berbatov leaves *****, he's too good for them, and btw i hate *****

Anything to say about your own club?

At the moment, I would say the Spurs have the best shot of breaking the top four. They'll also be looking for defenders in the summer, and if they get them, they'll have a shot. Truthfully, I think we have a long way to go to get into the Champion's League. If we can get a 6th-7th place finish next year, I will consider that a huge success; then go from there.

We got to 7th under Roeder with a totally demoralised side in danger of relegation. There is no reason we can't challenge for top 4 next year.

Yeah, fair enough. I suppose I was just assuming that we're going to have a couple years of rebuilding ahead of us.

All this stuff about re-building is oft regurgitated on here and yes it has its place....Tell me how much rebuilding had Pompey done when they were 4th in the first 1/3 of the season? None.

That means nothing, tbh. We were 3rd at one point and hovered around places 3-6 for a while, it means nish. The only thing that matters is the place at the end of the season.

FWIW, the top four are light years ahead of the likes of Villa, Newcastle, Everton. Spurs are closest to catching up, but i reckon it is going to take one of the top four to actively screw up and drop out as much as it is about another team stepping up.

I honestly don't see the cause for thinking Newcastle are the best placed to challenge, seems like boundless optimism to me. Certainly compared to, say, Spurs (much as i dislike the idea of bigging up Spurs), when you're on course for a bottom half of the table finish.

I expected Spurs to give a bigger challenge this year and yes they are building something. Spurs are deffo candidates to take on Arsenal next year.

Yet we've played a whole season with half a strike force and almost no quality defenders with a poor manager. Spurs will finish only 14 points ahead of us. As I said in my FIRST POST 3/4 wins. Even just having Owen would have got us that. blueyes.gif

Henry paast his prime, hmm dunno about that like, he had a few injuries this season and missed a good few games or I am sure he would be up there with the top goals scorers. Arsenal play great football their passing game is awesome all they lacked this season was a striker to finsih of the cnaces they created, once Hanry and VP are back wathc em fly...

Wenger knows what he's doing but tbh, Arsenal have a few more problems than that.

They could sort it through the summer i'm sure. Another star unearthed from the Dog & Duck Sunday team in Lagos, Nigeria.

My top 10 prediction!!

Arsenal

Man Ure

Chelski

Liverpool

Villa

Blackburn

Spurs

Pompey

Everton

Newcastle

Reading

Wont happen 100% sure.

Especially Arsenal finishing 1st.They will be lucky to be in the top 4 next season.Remember my word.

It will be something like this:

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

My top 10 prediction!!

Arsenal

Man Ure

Chelski

Liverpool

Villa

Blackburn

Spurs

Pompey

Everton

Newcastle

Reading

Wont happen 100% sure.

Especially Arsenal finishing 1st.They will be lucky to be in the top 4 next season.Remember my word.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

If you think we'll finish under Everton and Spurs with Big Sam you are off your head. :)

My top 10 prediction!!

Arsenal

Man Ure

Chelski

Liverpool

Villa

Blackburn

Spurs

Pompey

Everton

Newcastle

Reading

Wont happen 100% sure.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

If you think we'll finish under Everton and Spurs with Big Sam you are off your head. :)

Right now we have no manager!

If it is big sam knock us up 1 place :D

My top 10 prediction!!

Arsenal

Man Ure

Chelski

Liverpool

Villa

Blackburn

Spurs

Pompey

Everton

Newcastle

Reading

Wont happen 100% sure.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

Like all season then. :D

My top 10 prediction!!

Arsenal

Man Ure

Chelski

Liverpool

Villa

Blackburn

Spurs

Pompey

Everton

Newcastle

Reading

Wont happen 100% sure.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

Just about to say the same.

Parky you have to be realistic and if we appoint Allardyce as manager we cant expect too much in his first season.We must lower our expectations a little bit.

There is alot to say, too much probably atm..I wanted Berbatov for Newcastle after that we got Owen, And at this moment Berbatov would of been too god for us also.

He deserves to be in Championsleague...

There is alot to say, too much probably atm..I wanted Berbatov for Newcastle after that we got Owen, And at this moment Berbatov would of been too god for us also.

He deserves to be in Championsleague...

Owen is the best finisher in the PL.

My top 10 prediction!!

Arsenal

Man Ure

Chelski

Liverpool

Villa

Blackburn

Spurs

Pompey

Everton

Newcastle

Reading

Wont happen 100% sure.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

SAD BUT SO TRUE :D

My top 10 prediction!!

Arsenal

Man Ure

Chelski

Liverpool

Villa

Blackburn

Spurs

Pompey

Everton

Newcastle

Reading

Wont happen 100% sure.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Arsenal

Everton

Newcastle

West Ham

Portsmouth

Villa

Bolton

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

SAD BUT SO TRUE :D

:razz:

Looking at this thred anyone would think I was saying Prince and Jacko will return with No.1 albums. :)

....and what would happen if Ronaldo or Henry or Drogba we're missing all next season?

Ring any bells?

I agree with your sentiment Parky, as things stand I'd say we've got the second best (probably just behind Spurs, although not by as much as the media would lead us to believe) base to break into the top 4 at the moment in the shortish term (anything up to 5 years from now is my guess) - although the depends on how much Villa and Pompey will have to spend I guess.

If our next manager works for us, and if it is Big Sam I'd be surprised if he didn't, then we will certainly close the gap - I've not been overly impressed with Pool or Arsenal this season, although the Scousers may have unthinkable money now. As NE5 correctly said, the club with the best managers and the best backing will do best, as we showed when we broke into the top 4 under SBR.

This appointment is very crucial - if it turns out well we could be on our way to top 4 within a few years - if not we've no chance. The gap is big, but it is bridgable.

I agree with your sentiment Parky, as things stand I'd say we've got the second best (probably just behind Spurs, although not by as much as the media would lead us to believe) base to break into the top 4 at the moment in the shortish term (anything up to 5 years from now is my guess) - although the depends on how much Villa and Pompey will have to spend I guess.

If our next manager works for us, and if it is Big Sam I'd be surprised if he didn't, then we will certainly close the gap - I've not been overly impressed with Pool or Arsenal this season, although the Scousers may have unthinkable money now. As NE5 correctly said, the club with the best managers and the best backing will do best, as we showed when we broke into the top 4 under SBR.

This appointment is very crucial - if it turns out well we could be on our way to top 4 within a few years - if not we've no chance. The gap is big, but it is bridgable.

A bottle of Bollinger on its way courtesy of Parky Industries. :smitten:

There isn't that much between us and Spurs and they have been at optimum setup for nearly two season now. That tells me enough I need to know.

Pompey. mackems.gif

Get outta here!! ;)

Guest Gemmill

I think Villa are now the 5th best team over the last decade. Can anyone confirm this? :lol:

I've just done the calculations, and can confirm that if positions stay the same, we are now JOINT with Villa for the prestigious accolade of 5th best club over the last decade.  Should Villa's position improve or ours worsten on the last day of the season, then I'm sorry to have to report that Villa will take on this important mantle, and NE5 will have to revise his copy and paste posts to reflect this change.

Ours and Villa's average position over the last 10 seasons is 9.4.  Something to be proud of, I'm sure you'll agree.  On average we finish outside of the European spots, and barely in the top 10. 

How's that for positive, Parky? :razz:

I thought that Russian owned Pompey now? He not going to throw money at them? They've certainly overacheived with what they've got this season though, it has to be said.

Agree with the point on Spurs. They've progressed a fair way in the last couple of years and will inevitably hit a plateau soon imo, much as we did after two great seasons under SBR. A couple of strong seasons and we could easily be regarded as a better side than Spurs, even by the London media, imo.

I thought that Russian owned Pompey now? He not going to throw money at them? They've certainly overacheived with what they've got this season though, it has to be said.

Agree with the point on Spurs. They've progressed a fair way in the last couple of years and will inevitably hit a plateau soon imo, much as we did after two great seasons under SBR. A couple of strong seasons and we could easily be regarded as a better side than Spurs, even by the London media, imo.

YOu've forgotten one important thing...

Happy Harry is in charge. ;)

I think Villa are now the 5th best team over the last decade. Can anyone confirm this? :lol:

I've just done the calculations, and can confirm that if positions stay the same, we are now JOINT with Villa for the prestigious accolade of 5th best club over the last decade.  Should Villa's position improve or ours worsten on the last day of the season, then I'm sorry to have to report that Villa will take on this important mantle, and NE5 will have to revise his copy and paste posts to reflect this change.

Ours and Villa's average position over the last 10 seasons is 9.4.  Something to be proud of, I'm sure you'll agree.  On average we finish outside of the European spots, and barely in the top 10. 

How's that for positive, Parky? :razz:

You can do better. blueyes.gif