3rd time lucky for Freddy & United? I think so

Guest Knightrider

How anyone can be happy with Big Sam when better managers are available is pure lunacy.

Agree with this. There's 3, maybe 4 realistic and arguably better options available and we haven't even spoken to them. Stupid.

names.?.....houlleir hardly challenged for the title with far superior resources,scolari,hasn't really built anything like we would need and little knowladge of the english game.....van gaal...my choice

Koeman, Eriksson, Houllier & Scolari.

possible,no explained and explained

I think some people are seriously over-estimating our ability as a club to attract some of the names that are being bandied about.  :rolleyes:

*Aimed at no-one in particular before someone kicks off*

Houllier was unlucky to come across great Man Utd & Arsenal sides at the time he was there though.

at no time did anyone think liverpool were anywhere near,even nufc under robson came closer

The season we came 4th, Liverpool finished 2nd ahead of Man U, and the following season we were only about 4 points ahead of them.

Houllier was unlucky to come across great Man Utd & Arsenal sides at the time he was there though.

at no time did anyone think liverpool were anywhere near,even nufc under robson came closer

They finished above Man Utd in 2002 tbf.

I'm really pleased. I just hope nothing goes wrong. I've wanted him since Bobby Robson left too, and I've not felt so positive for years.

Not to look for an argument Leazes, but if Allardyce gets the job and at some point in the future comes out and says we need to restructure the whole club off the field how will you react?

They finished above Man Utd in 2002 tbf.

never in contention,like us in our 2nd runners up season.........then there was the season of our wins at arsenal and leeds(was it 2000-01?)when even ferguson said without bellamys injury we'd have ran them very close.probably mixing my season up

I'm really pleased. I just hope nothing goes wrong. I've wanted him since Bobby Robson left too, and I've not felt so positive for years.

if Allardyce gets the job and at some point in the future comes out and says we need to restructure the whole club off the field how will you react?

I always say the manager should be backed. Bobby Robson structured the club in the way he wanted, promoted Carver for instance because he rated him, and Gordon Milne to so scouting overseas, even appointing Wadsworth initially, every manager does this. I don't doubt for a moment Allardyce will do it too. I have wanted him as our managers since Bobby Robson left, and have said so on many occasions, because he seems quite good at it, along with man managing and winning football games and is ready for a bigger club. So I can't see your point in this question, other than attempting to make something up to discredit the board ?

Nah, of course not.

if Allardyce gets the job and at some point in the future comes out and says we need to restructure the whole club off the field how will you react?

I always say the manager should be backed. Bobby Robson structured the club in the way he wanted, promoted Carver for instance because he rated him, and Gordon Milne to so scouting overseas, even appointing Wadsworth initially, every manager does this. I don't doubt for a moment Allardyce will do it too. I have wanted him as our managers since Bobby Robson left, and have said so on many occasions, because he seems quite good at it, along with man managing and winning football games and is ready for a bigger club. So I can't see your point in this question, other than attempting to make something up to discredit the board ?

Nah, of course not.

I like how you edit out my comment about not looking for an argument then start one of your own. :lol:

Thanks for the reply. FWIW, I think Allardyce is a good appointment too, and in another thread today I applauded the board for making a decision this early for a change.

Guest Mase

I’m dead chuffed we got him. He’s worked wonders with Bolton and I’ve always wondered what he’d do at a bigger club. More funds, bigger support. It’s a fresh start for Sam and I hope for the club as well. Let’s hope he makes it work!

Agree with midds on this. This appointment just makes sense: right man, right time...and we can only keep our fingers crossed on the rest of it. But I feel increasingly optimistic now.

Guest Knightrider

Nah, of course not.

Bobby didn't quite restructure the club how he wanted, whenever he brought such issues up with the board it was always a "will look into it Bobby and get back to you" or a "no" as he was told when he requested the club installed ProZone. The club wouldn't renew Mick Wadsworth's contract either which Bobby was very unhappy about and he wasn't allowed to stretch his scouting net either.

To be fair though, he says there was so much that needed to be done, he himself couldn't do it all, not when the team on the pitch needed so much attention and focus. The time to do the things he wanted done in full was perhaps the season we finished 4th, which would have of course given him a greater team off the pitch to maintain success on it which wasn't sustained, hence the need today to finally overhaul things which at least the board now seem to realise and accept which is a step in the right direction, quite a few in fact.

Nah, of course not.

I like how you edit out my comment about not looking for an argument then start one of your own. :lol:

Thanks for the reply. FWIW, I think Allardyce is a good appointment too, and in another thread today I applauded the board for making a decision this early for a change.

I'm not arguing, I think its a great appointment, but I'm not fussed about the timing, I think its the person who is important, not the timing.

For instance, if Allardyce doesn't succeed, will people who are applauding the timing then admit it proved to be irrelevant ?

Notice I'm not picking up on the fact that very few people are actually giving credit for the "timing"  :parky:

Nah, of course not.

I'm not arguing, I think its a great appointment, but I'm not fussed about the timing, I think its the person who is important, not the timing.

For instance, if Allardyce doesn't succeed, will people who are applauding the timing then admit it proved to be irrelevant ?

Notice I'm not picking up on the fact that very few people are actually giving credit for the "timing"  :parky:

In my opinion he has a much better chance of success due to the timing, even if he isn't the right man. That is the reason I am happy we did things this way this time.

Nah, of course not.

Bobby didn't quite restructure the club how he wanted, whenever he brought such issues up with the board it was always a "will look into it Bobby and get back to you" or a "no" as he was told when he requested the club installed ProZone. The club wouldn't renew Mick Wadsworth's contract either which Bobby was very unhappy about and he wasn't allowed to stretch his scouting net either.

To be fair though, he says there was so much that needed to be done, he himself couldn't do it all, not when the team on the pitch needed so much attention and focus. The time to do the things he wanted done in full was perhaps the season we finished 4th, which would have of course given him a greater team off the pitch to maintain success on it which wasn't sustained, hence the need today to finally overhaul things which at least the board now seem to realise and accept which is a step in the right direction, quite a few in fact.

Which was the reason I thought a DOF would have been the best bet to sort out the club behind the scenes, that's for another thread though. ;)

I wonder if he can talk Mike Forde to come on board, I read Sammy Lee was lining him up as general manager at Bolton.

I think its incredible timing. For me fred has got the time and the person correct. There's only one part left and thats his full backing as manager.

I always say the manager should be backed.

Souness?

the club is right to back their choice of manager, that is different to the fact that he wasn't MY choice and I hated the arsehole, ever since I was in Jockland when he managed Rangers. It would be an absurd situation for a club to appoint a manager and not back him, don't you agree ?

Oh, we did that for decades when we had a shit board. Fancy me forgetting that  :lol:

Nah, of course not.

In my opinion he has a much better chance of success due to the timing, even if he isn't the right man. That is the reason I am happy we did things this way this time.

He obviously has the summer to think about what to do with the players, and the money he is given, which is good. But at the end of the day, what I mean is if someone is the right manager it doesn't matter when he is appointed, the same as if someone is a shite manager, it doesn't matter either.

I'm more than happy with Allardyce, and i would have been just as happy if we had appointed him last December.

Nah, of course not.

Aye, if he was appointed 6 games into next season then that season would be as good as a write off.

Well done Fred on the timing!

Guest Knightrider

Nah, of course not.

Which was the reason I thought a DOF would have been the best bet to sort out the club behind the scenes, that's for another thread though. ;)

I wonder if he can talk Mike Forde to come on board, I read Sammy Lee was lining him up as general manager at Bolton.

Aye, Forde seems a key figure and kind of like Big Sam's DOF. I've actually warmed to your DOF suggestion since I learned a lot more about the role which I was always unsure of.

Guest Knightrider

Timing is piss poor tbh NE5

Should have happened a few years ago ;)