Sir Alex Ferguson

Guest kingdawson

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

You only have to look at Evans' reaction to know it wasn't a foul or offside. He f***ed up and knew it.

Tbf to Evans he wouldn't have clue if it was offside or not, he just fecked it up. The argument seems to be whether Cisse being there made him feck it up. I dont think so for the reasons you already said, Evans's reaction.

Imo fwiw, Cisse is on the 6 yard box right in front of the GK, that has to be influencing things in defenders thinking, but the rules are right as they stand and its a goal.

So the linesman didn't know the rules?

Given the confusion there is no way the referee should have overruled his linesman. It's not like it was a clear cut error.

Lino knew the rules, its just how they implement them for me. You have to remember when we say rules, they are implemented by the officials to the best of their ability, some are good, some are bad. Some will call things differently to others and that doesn't help, but its a human being thing.

That's the thing having studied the law book I came across the phrase "if in the opinion of the referee" a good bit. This puts refereeing more on the subjective side and not objective like many believe it should be. I think until we somehow build robots programmed to referee, then we're always going to have controversy.

Guest bimpy474

So tripping up a player in an offside position isn't a foul?

Cisse didn't trip Evans up though, Evans tripped himself up worrying about Cisse and clearing the ball. Again this makes things make no sense, as Evans was thinking about Cisse so therefore Cisse must have been active.

See why i hate the rules as they are.

Cisse didn't trip Evans up though, Evans tripped himself up worrying about Cisse and clearing the ball. Again this makes things make no sense, as Evans was thinking about Cisse so therefore Cisse must have been active.

and that goes back to the example of the player on the other side of the pitch to where the play is and the whole defence has pushed up to catch him offside. not interefering with play but he made the entire defence move.

Guest bimpy474

You only have to look at Evans' reaction to know it wasn't a foul or offside. He f***ed up and knew it.

Tbf to Evans he wouldn't have clue if it was offside or not, he just fecked it up. The argument seems to be whether Cisse being there made him feck it up. I dont think so for the reasons you already said, Evans's reaction.

Imo fwiw, Cisse is on the 6 yard box right in front of the GK, that has to be influencing things in defenders thinking, but the rules are right as they stand and its a goal.

So the linesman didn't know the rules?

Given the confusion there is no way the referee should have overruled his linesman. It's not like it was a clear cut error.

Lino knew the rules, its just how they implement them for me. You have to remember when we say rules, they are implemented by the officials to the best of their ability, some are good, some are bad. Some will call things differently to others and that doesn't help, but its a human being thing.

That's the thing having studied the law book I came across the phrase "if in the opinion of the referee" a good bit. This puts refereeing more on the subjective side and not objective like many believe it should be. I think until we somehow build robots programmed to referee, then we're always going to have controversy.

:nods:

I think 90% of decisions are "if in the opinion of the referee". As it should be imo, you just get good ref's who are good at making decisions.

Guest bimpy474

and that goes back to the example of the player on the other side of the pitch to where the play is and the whole defence has pushed up to catch him offside. not interefering with play but he made the entire defence move.

Yep, but the pushing up is really a rare thing nowadays because of the offside not being given. (personally i prefer as it is now regarding this)

How can you prove that Evans tripped himself up because of Cisse though?

I've got loads of respect for what Ferguson has done at Man U but his latest couple of rants are pathetic.  I'm not bothered if he thinks we're a little club or not because his opinion doesn't make the slightest difference to anything, he just comes across as a bitter, spiteful old man who has lost the plot.

He's taken offence over a nothing comment and you would think that somebody who has managed for so long would be above that sort of shit.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Well I need you to be a little more specific. If Cisse gets to the ball first and is tripped he is offside so that is the offence punished. However some refs I know would say it's always the more serious offence that's punished and they personely may deem the foul more serious than Cisse being offside. If it's a case that at the exact moment Simpson plays the ball and cisse is tripped at that exact same moment then it is a difficult one still but I would give a penalty but other refs will disagree. It's a bit subjective really.

Guest bimpy474

How can you prove that Evans tripped himself up because of Cisse though?

You can't but as i said in my post, Evans was possibly thinking of Cisse. As a ref you can't think like that, you aren't a mind reader and things happen in a fraction of a second.

We can debate this now but we have had time to look at different angles, players reactions, players movements etc.

Guest malandro

Well I need you to be a little more specific. If Cisse gets to the ball first and is tripped he is offside so that is the offence punished. However some refs I know would say it's always the more serious offence that's punished and they personely may deem the foul more serious than Cisse being offside. If it's a case that at the exact moment Simpson plays the ball and cisse is tripped at that exact same moment then it is a difficult one still but I would give a penalty but other refs will disagree. It's a bit subjective really.

A forward standing on the penalty spot is in an 'offside' position when the ball is played forward. The last defender trips the forward up to prevent them receiving the pass, thereby denying them a clear goal scoring opportunity. Only its not a clear goal scoring opportunity because the forward would have become active if they had received the ball and therefore been offside.

My natural instinct is to say it is a pen, but it can't be a red card because if the forward had received the pass he would have become active and ruled offside.

Guest bimpy474

A forward standing on the penalty spot is in an 'offside' position when the ball is played forward. The last defender trips the forward up to prevent them receiving the pass, thereby denying them a clear goal scoring opportunity. Only its not a clear goal scoring opportunity because the forward would have become active if they had received the ball and therefore been offside.

My natural instinct is to say it is a pen, but it can't be a red card because if the forward had received the pass he would have become active and ruled offside.

This would be a straight forward offside call wouldn't it. If the lino has spotted the offside then the trip would be a pen and a red, but it would be lino mistake for not spotting the intial offside.

You can't really compare it to our goal as that was a cross deflected in.

Sorry we shall no longer debate things on a blog about debating things. Thank so much for clearing things up :lol:

Be honest, this offside "Debate" is just a war of attrition at this point.  Words will just keep getting typed until someone walks away, no ones mind is getting changed. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Sorry we shall no longer debate things on a blog about debating things. Thank so much for clearing things up :lol:

Be honest, this offside "Debate" is just a war of attrition at this point.  Words will just keep getting typed until someone walks away, no ones mind is getting changed. :lol:

Extremely true that  :snod:

:lol:

I've got loads of respect for what Ferguson has done at Man U but his latest couple of rants are pathetic.  I'm not bothered if he thinks we're a little club or not because his opinion doesn't make the slightest difference to anything, he just comes across as a bitter, spiteful old man who has lost the plot.

He's taken offence over a nothing comment and you would think that somebody who has managed for so long would be above that sort of s***.

Agree with that.

I remember people on here had a go at me and didn't understand why i hated man utd so much that i even wanted them to be smashed by Barca at the champions league final.

Well now you know why.

They have always been c***s.  Just shocked that some on here only started to realize.