Allardyce confirmed as Newcastle manager - 3 year deal.

Paully

Guest Knightrider

I'll probably regret this but we'll win a trophy under him. This is the most optimistic I have been since SBR, in fact more as I always felt under SBR the wheels could always fall off due to his age more than anything.

Guest Darth Toon

Fuck me, how encouraging was that??  blueyes.gif

Genuinely looking forward to watching this man work - seems supremely self-confident yet laid-back, you can see how he commands such respect.

Nice to see some all round optimism on here for a change! Agree with most people on here in that this is the first time I've been excited about Newcastle in a long time. Finally we have a propper manager.

I'll probably regret this but we'll win a trophy under him. This is the most optimistic I have been since SBR, in fact more as I always felt under SBR the wheels could always fall off due to his age more than anything.

oh man

Calm down, were all excited but please keep it real!!  O0

I agree I recon he was the wise old fella we needed to properly steady the ship and then after a while we start (as well as the players) how long can he go on, can he cope with the ship rocking. SA is still relatively young and hungry wanting success, wont put my neck on the line as far as you have HTT but would like to see us getting "closer" to success than we have in a long while.

I'm always optimistic prior to a new season, but this time it isn't completely centred on hope. I'm genuinely confident that we'll do well under him.

Can't wait to see him get the ball rolling. Roll on pre-season!

Guest Knightrider

See what he's said in his press confrence? I've been hearing him talk like that for years now on every issue to do with football and his ideas with his almost weekly spots on John Barnes' Football show and on Premiership On Monday, you can see how he motivates his players and how he commands so much respect because he's very convincing and articulate. Another thing I also picked up on, he's dispassionate, kept referring to the club as they, he sees us in an abstract sense which is fucking great for us because he won't be clouded by any sentimental bollocks or Toon cliches (which BTW he never once reeled out, almost kept a lid of the whole massive potential thing). Another key aspect, put the whole emphasis on the players, i.e. they are the most important people, the ones who will deliver success.

I can't describe how happy I am, positively beeming. This is a manager I have rated for years and taken a very keen interest in ever since he came up with Bolton and someone I've wanted here for years.

Key word here is: Patience. Don't call for his head for a few years. We need to be patience with this one.

I'll be eating these words when we're 15th in February...

He'll be allowed more time because he's proven already what he can do at Bolton, he commands respect and I suppose that goes for the fans aswell, he'll be given as much time as he needs imo.

I'm not sure we'll win anything under Sam, but I think the foundations will be in place in 3 years time when he leaves for the next manager to have a crack at the major trophies.

This is what i expect from at the least from him, i reckon its a cert the club will move forward now.

I hope Freddy has finally matured and realised you need a man like Sam in charge, or a SBR, realise a talent when its special and realise they know more about football than he does and let them get on with it.

Nice to hear him saying we've had too many injuries over the last few years and it needs sorting out as there's clearly something wrong. At last tbh.

I know.  Nice to see the problem being addressed rather than blamed on luck

I'm not sure we'll win anything under Sam, but I think the foundations will be in place in 3 years time when he leaves for the next manager to have a crack at the major trophies.

I'd hope he's here longer than that

Guest steppa

Finally a manager that doesn't talk sh!t. Hooorah!

Didn't we first say that about Roeder as well? :lol:

No, we gave him a chance because he didn't talk as much sh!t as Sourness. We will finally rid the club of the amateur set-up behind the scenes that has held this club back for years.

Wor Sam will unleash the beast that is Newcastle United.

Ho'way the lads!

Guest SwissMagpie

I just hope that he won't be like Roeder,when he watched Kuyt about 145 times.

just not the "we are in Pole position" stuff

Dunno if it's been mentioned before, cba looking it up right now. But one of the things he's said so far, that really makes me think he's got his head in this, is:

"But I will be careful who I recruit. What we need at Newcastle United are not good players but players who have the mentality to play in front of 52,000 supporters every week."

Makes me think of Luque, to be honest. Arguably a class player, but clearly without the right mentality to play for this club (remains to be seen what Allardyce can do with him, of course). Some signings of players with good determination etc, would do us pretty good at the moment.

I just hope that he won't be like Roeder,when he watched Kuyt about 145 times.

just not the "we are in Pole position" stuff

No chance. Allardyce deals with transfers in a very straightforward manner. And he likes to wrap things up very soon. The thing is, by the time Roeder decides which players he wants to scout, Allardyce would have already seen the boy 5 times and decided whether he's good enough or not, and if he isn't good enough, his plan B or C or D's agent would be on the phone with him.

People who were worried about the "not good players..." comment should stop panicking, as he effectively eradicated that in the press conference by saying "hopefully the players that i bring in are better than the players we have got here...". In fairness it would have been daft to think he wanted to bring in 'bad players'.

That grin when the reporter asked him about long ball football at Bolton - postively evil. Looked like Joker from the first Batman movie.

http://www.geocities.com/~talotta/Batman/Batman3.jpg

"You saying we played long ball football?"

*Reporter goes quiet*