nufc.com

lovejoy

his replacement dragged us back 5 years imo. if shepherd had been ambitious with the next appointment of a very good manager we'd have hit the ground running.

Exactly. He should have went in that summer the same time Liverpool got rid of Houllier and replaced with a top class replacement. For all the stick Shepherd gets, when some of it to me is undeserved this to me was the biggest mistake of his tenure as Chairman.

Theres 2 things about this though; the way he was undermined and sacked it must of made the job unappealing, epspceially with the way he was viewed in the football world with regards to what he'd done for the club, are there many top class candidates who'd of liked to work in that environment? (If i rememeber correctly 3 or 4 people turned down that job- with the club in prime position)

And the second thing is that there was no available top class mnagaer at the time in the British Isles who;d had the pedigree to suceed and improve on SBR. Whilst Liverpool were showing ambition and due care about their next managerial appointmant and scouring the globe for a good successor we had NO intention of looking past Dover.

We had just had, in my opinion one of the top  british managers of all time at our club, did he not deserve one more season, even Wenger is being afforded more seasons even though he's not won anything in 4(?)

1977 Lee Bowyer born, London.

(2003-2006)

No comment.

Given that this section is supposed to be an objective report of ex-players playing days (and they often have a right bunch of non-entitities), this is extremely petty.

1977 Lee Bowyer born, London.

(2003-2006)

No comment.

Given that this section is supposed to be an objective report of ex-players playing days (and they often have a right bunch of non-entitities), this is extremely petty.

Load of bollocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Comment:

The blame game

Turmoil in Toon once again then, and the only club employee who says anything in public is at pains to

point out that none of this is his fault.

There again, given the amount of blarney & b*ll*cks

JFK has spoken since arriving here, taking his stream

of consciousness outbursts at face value is about as useful as sponsoring Viduka in the Great North Run...

Rather than blaming Keegan and Allardyce for the team selection problems he faces though, Joe should consider exactly why those two managers exited from SJP.

Kinnear is missing the point by pointing the finger at the current crop of injuries. Although the club has failed to help itself by signing physically and emotionally suspect players in recent years, the flaws are more long-term.   

God knows what he was doing before he popped up here, but those of us who suffer this crud first-hand are only too aware of our repeated inability to either develop

or sign players in crucial positions.

Let's go back to August 2006, when we were moved to wonder just what the hell the club were playing at, as Glenn Roeder made a public trip to Rotterdam to watch Dirk Kuyt - although he'd already pledged to join Liverpool.

Our squad shortcomings were all-too evident at that point, with frantic late transfer activity seeing the arrival of messrs Sibierski, Rossi and Bernard - one trier who was a worthwhile addition, one loanee who was rarely played and one complete waste of time who never appeared.

Successive transfer windows saw Roeder's successors try and fail to make suitable signings. That culminated in the events of August 2008 that saw Milner depart, closely followed by Keegan, but still no signings in the areas we were patently lacking in then  - and remain so now.

Joe may also reflect on the fact that regardless of who is to blame for our demise, the fact he's within a country mile of a top-flight football club is purely because any credible candidate could see us for what we are - left

high and dry, failing to back up words with deeds.

Those responsible for the financing and recruitment of the squad should be. Some blame should be apportioned to Freddy Shepherd, but the fingers should be pointing fairly and squarely in the direction of Ashley and Wise.

The most depressing news about this club in 2009 isn't

the on-field strife - it's the fact that Kinnear has been offered a long-term contract. Allegedly.

Previous to that, we believed that fans and players

would tough things out until the end of this season, hoping that we'd retain our top-flight status, jettison

Joe and try to reinvent ourselves yet again.

Now that no longer looks to be the case - which may well have drastic ramifications in both the stands and the dressing room, as people on both sides simply throw in

the towel, abandoning their seats/squad numbers.

In a way though Joe's permanent appointment would complete the circle: meaning that the club was being owned, run and overseen at all levels by people with no credible track record in the game - and who can't even play the Geordie patriotism card like the previous mob.

And even if three teams can conspire to finish below us in the final league table, we're struggling to see any grounds for optimism when considering next season.

The thought of watching Shola Ameobi lead United out to a half-empty stadium hardly gets our pulses racing - with a catastrophic drop in season ticket and corporate sales.

So what's the answer?

Splashing the cash is only part of the answer, given our unsurpassed track record of lavish and useless purchases.

If the current administration are unable or unwilling to sell up and ship out, then they have to try and reverse the feeling that the whole club is going to rack and ruin and being run into the ground - it's 1991 all over again.   

On current evidence they haven't got the first idea of how to do that - and have already passed up their best opportunity to salvage any credibility, given the amateurish performance so far in this transfer window.

In fairness though, you would question the motives - or sanity - of anyone who wanted to join Newcastle in their current state. One phone call from Stephane Mbia to his Cameroonian compatriot Geremi would surely be enough

to blow that transfer out of the water at any price... 

There's a danger that those "upstairs" confuse the current lack of public agitation from fans with their acceptance of the situation - that will be shown up as folly come May.

Empty seats don't make any noise, or bring in any cash.

Btw Billy Furious got it spot on with regards to Robson.

I would dearly like to read his book(s) but I can't find a copy anywhere. :dontknow:

I've got them both and there really good, i would definately recommend them.

Guest westamfan

Getting relegated is absolutely fucking tragic. Trust me!

I'm sorry but players like Ameobi just won't cut it with other useless players around him.

You won't have the time to prepare a decent squad for the season as most of the time will be spent negotiating players off the wage bill. Every team we played against put 10 behind the ball and we really struggled to accept the level of football being played and the atmosphere turned nasty. Even when we were eventually won promotion 2nd attempt through the play offs we struggled big time to do it.

I think this season will shock everyone with possibly yourselves, Boro and (hopefully) Tottenham going down.

Getting relegated is absolutely fucking tragic. Trust me!

I'm sorry but players like Ameobi just won't cut it with other useless players around him.

You won't have the time to prepare a decent squad for the season as most of the time will be spent negotiating players off the wage bill. Every team we played against put 10 behind the ball and we really struggled to accept the level of football being played and the atmosphere turned nasty. Even when we were eventually won promotion 2nd attempt through the play offs we struggled big time to do it.

I think this season will shock everyone with possibly yourselves, Boro and (hopefully) Tottenham going down.

I think this season will shock everyone because your owner helped fuck over the financial system of the country but will still get to keep making money out of your club by selling all your best players.

• 1 month later...
Turf account:

Where's me jumper? 

The annual orgy of horseracing, betting and supping that is the Cheltenham Festival is now well underway and we're continuing to have a daily punt with Paddy Power.

Things began badly on Tuesday with the abject failure of our nag Kempes, but Wednesday's selection Ninetieth Minute came up trumps in the Coral Cup Handicap at a fabulous 14/1.

And throwing caution to the winds, we've made three selections for today (Thursday), although Ruby Walsh has let us down again with only a fourth-placed finish on Northern Alliance in the 1.30 Jewson Novices' Handicap.

Next up is rank outsider Indian Pipe Dream, running in the 2.05 Pertemps Final Handicap. Our tenuous football connection is that Sky anchor man, Jeff Stelling is a part-owner. Paddy pay on the first five in that race.

Our final selection is in the 2.40 Ryanair Chase, where the David Pipe-trained Our Vic can prove the old adage that form is temporary but class is permanent - popular opinion suggests Voy Por Ustedes will check-in first though...

Click here for Paddy's online betting service.

:lol:

Guest BooBoo

I dont really have a problem with nufc.com having sponsors. It must cost them a small fortune to get to every single game at generally every level, plus it'll be a lot of work to keep it updated.

Why shouldn't they pocket a few quid for their efforts?

Guest Howaythetoon

I dont really have a problem with nufc.com having sponsors. It must cost them a small fortune to get to every single game at generally every level, plus it'll be a lot of work to keep it updated.

I doubt they pocket the money, goes on expenses I imagine be it following the club to keeping the site live and accessible during high visitor usage.

This

• 3 weeks later...