nufc.com

lovejoy

And

Quite right, loads of hypocrisy on here. Its ok to take the piss out of a disabled person but not ok to take the piss out of someone's origins/background. Both equally offensive. No consistency.

Yes, it's absolutely true that the word "mong" is offensive and objectionable. Funny how so many people are quick to point that out, while busily making excuses for Sunday's chanting.

However, as I pointed out on the thread that's now over in chat, the problem of racism (and similar attitudes) is not simply about causing offence. Me calling Niall and Biffa "mongs" is different.

Does it insult "mongs" by suggesting they are just like people who run a website for Newcastle fans? Are Geordies commonly held to be "mongs" in the way Jews are supposed to tight-fisted, blacks are meant to be lazy, the Irish are supposed to be stupid, and Muslims are supposed to be terrorists?

It's offensive to people with Down's Syndrome, of course. Lucky I didn't chant it at the match, and then make excuses about it afterwards.

I'm not making excuses, i'm pointing out the hypocrisy and double standards. Much like being preached to by a Boro fan about racism.

Not sure this is the point but calling all geordies 'mongs' implies they are all mentally disabled and is both offensive to disabled people and geordies. Is it ok to be offensive to disabled people?

And as i pointed back to you in GC none of my arguments centred around the concept of mere offence. 

And I'm just pointing out the difference between racism etc and things which are offensive in other ways. No, it's not OK to be offensive to disabled people. But it's a different thing, and works in a different way, from bigotry based on race, ethnicity or faith.

Calling Mido a terrorist feeds a subtext which maintains that all Muslims are somehow equivalent to, or responsible for the actions of, a tiny minority of actual terrorists. Thus it's much broader than an insult applied to one individual. It's demonising a people.

Whatever I say about Niall or Biffa or whoever, it's hardly demonising "Geordies", is it?

(BTW I didn't say you personally were making excuses. I was thinking of TBIP and a whole load of others.)

You're just highlighting me because I called you on your hypocrisy

And I was just highlighting yours.

Unlike you, however, I have admitted that I was out of order.

And where pray tell was I hypocritical ???

Mido deserves abuse he is a piece of s***. As for terrorists they too are the scum of the earth.

Put a lot of thought into that contribution did you?  :)

Thought the second Einstein quote was particularly apt.

You're using mong as an insult so, yes it is bad.  And i would like to point out, however much people want to blame in on 'fundamentalists' there is a serious terror problem within islam.  I'm not saying this justifies the chants, but they have a basis, totally unlike monkey chants.

Sorry, but that is ignorant nonsense.

Please tell me which part is ignorant.

You either think it's ok to insult people by saying they've got downsyndrome

Despite the very regular terrorism from islamics, not just 7/7, 9/11, madrid, turkey, the terrorist training camps, the foiled plots but very regular stuff in iraq and palestine, you think there's no islamic terror problem at all

Or you think black people are in fact inferior.

The worst thing about this is that it trivializes the fact that there is real bigotry and racism among some Newcastle supporters that goes far beyond what was sung at Mido.

Now we can all say "hey it's just football and a bit of a laugh, no big deal," while there are deeper and more insidious roots that go unmentioned.

The worst thing about this is that it trivializes the fact that there is real bigotry and racism among some Newcastle supporters that goes far beyond what was sung at Mido.

Now we can all say "hey it's just football and a bit of a laugh, no big deal," while there are deeper and more insidious roots that go unmentioned.

Is there?

Is there?

That, the video from the Blackburn game away last season and several other anecdotes from a few people on here would suggest that there is.

Is there?

That, the video from the Blackburn game away last season and several other anecdotes from a few people on here would suggest that there is.

Surely you could say that about any group of supporters of any team in the world, though?

Personally, I won't deny that I know/know of plenty of bigoted/racist/sexist Newcastle fans, but the same applies to fans of other clubs that I know as well.

Is there?

Surely you could say that about any group of supporters of any team in the world, though?

Personally, I won't deny that I know/know of plenty of bigoted/racist/sexist Newcastle fans, but the same applies to fans of other clubs that I know as well.

Yes you could. But the point is that there is an unpleasant element out there and is something the club should probably take a look into.

Is there?

Yes you could. But the point is that there is an unpleasant element out there and is something the club should probably take a look into.

Thank you, Captain Obvious :razz:

It's not just football's problem though, it's global society. Not exactly an easy problem to contend with.

I'm sure the club will ban fans if they are caught in the act/if there is evidence to pin on certain supporters of NUFC.

I don't condone the chants at all, by the way, and I would not have taken part in them personally.

OOoh The sky is falling !!!!!!!!

I would wholheartedly agree with you if Tuncay, or any other random muslim for that matter, had got the same treatment, but he didn't, How come? that in such a sea of racist bile it never happened to him - I'll give you a hint - because he has never looked like Richard Reid.

Unpallatable as it may be, the root cause of the chant was NOT based upon racism (notwithstanding some, but not all, of said chanters may be ignorant racists, as they do exist, but they ain't everywhere).

I'm a glass half-full sort of bloke and I'd much rather properly look for the "real bigotry and racism" as you put it, rather than invent it at every turn.

Is there?

I think there is.  As i've said before, it wasnt reported but a huge % of the fans away in ventspils spent the whole game chanting racist things like "kill the pakis", while one idiot preached, then abusing the cameraman (he was sort of amongst us), trying to get his preaching on air.  A latvian policeman was filming it (while being threatened) so i hoped something would be done.  However, i see many that were involved, including the main preacher at games regularly.

Guest optimistic nit

You're using mong as an insult so, yes it is bad.  And i would like to point out, however much people want to blame in on 'fundamentalists' there is a serious terror problem within islam.  I'm not saying this justifies the chants, but they have a basis, totally unlike monkey chants.

Despite the very regular terrorism from islamics, not just 7/7, 9/11, madrid, turkey, the terrorist training camps, the foiled plots but very regular stuff in iraq and palestine, you think there's no islamic terror problem at all

you're talking 100% bullshit.

you're talking 100% bullshit.

I'm assuming that's sarcastic.  ?

The only way somebody could claim that there's not a terrorism problem within islam, is if you're one of these people who always pussyfoots around religion and think it's taboo to criticise it.  Good muslims are even working to prevent the radicalisation of youngsters.

Huge apologies for the extreme

tardiness of the last two match reports

but they have both been written from a hospital bed... literally....

What happened?

Didn't you hear? Mido blew them up.

Is there?

Nignog and spade?. Just two of the recent comments made by people I have sat next to at SJP this season. Of course there is racism. Much of it may be subtle but it still exists. Not convinced that the people who screamed townfull of paki's at Coventry (and there was in excess of a thousand easily who did it) have changed there ways. Are you convinced?

It's significant enough to be dealt with seriously. Personally, I think we pay lip service to it.

Guest Sniffer

Personally, pie, I think you should go and live in Bradford for a year or so and see what it's like.

Come back in august 08 and give us a full report.

Is there?

Nignog and spade?. Just two of the recent comments made by people I have sat next to at SJP this season. Of course there is racism. Much of it may be subtle but it still exists. Not convinced that the people who screamed townfull of paki's at Coventry (and there was in excess of a thousand easily who did it) have changed there ways. Are you convinced?

It's significant enough to be dealt with seriously. Personally, I think we pay lip service to it.

So report them, you don't have to put up with it you know.

Could have been a stink bomb, a water bomb or even Bon Bon.

I don't think it was intended to be racist (misguided humour perhaps), it rhymed, wasn't sung offensively (from the TV anyway) & Mido & Southgate both used it as a means to justify Mido's reaction. Remember Mido was asked to stop then ran half way up the pitch & turned around for more.

There is no place for racism or bigots & these people should rightly be hounded out. The incident with Mido would have been best avoided but I don't believe there was any malicious intent behind it, ignorance yes, but should you be damned for that or simply be educated to know better?

We get our own amount of stick but as a majority society that seems acceptable even when the insult is said with real malice intent.

Guest jimmy1982

Don't know how many people on here live in or around Tyneside but anyone who does knows how racist attitudes still prevail, unless you live somewhere like Ponteland where people are probably  too posh to say anything racist even if they think it. Indeed in most parts of England loads and loads of people have old fashioned predjudices which 50 years ago wouldn't have brought a bad reaction from other people if you'd aired them in public, but quite possibly would now. That's progress of some sort I suppose. I wholly expect to hear racist language at football matches. I've heard it everywhere I've lived and worked, from Tyneside to South West England to the South of France to London, so I really can't understand why anyone should be surprised to hear it at the match. Those Guardian women must have lived very sheltered lives if the Mido chanting was shocking to them! This kind of thing is going to happen. And as for Mido himself he's clearly just an arrogant berk, and that is why I thought the chants were pretty funny. If Emre had been playing would he have been so upset about the abuse of a fellow Muslim that he would be prevented from playing to his full ability? Unless he's such close friends with Mido that to see him upset sends him into an uncontrollable weeping fit then of course not. I wonder if next time England play Argentina in Argentina Michael Owen will react so histrionically when he scores after being subjected to chants which calling him a murderer because of the Falklands war. Doubt it. Doubt that any Guardian writers will mention anything about how outrageous the Argentinian supporters were either, because its not on their agendas. As for racism at the match, if you hear someone being racist you have a choice to tell them to shut up or ignore them, just as you would have the same choice if you heard someone being racist in the street.