Steven Taylor issues ultimatum

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

TAYLOR ULTIMATUM

EXCLUSIVE

By Simon Bird 18/05/2007

ENGLAND Under-21 star Steven Taylor has told Newcastle not to "mess about" and award him with a new contract.

The highly-rated defender has now made 78 starts for the Geordies, way above the threshold that was supposed to trigger a new deal last summer.

Taylor is desperate to stay at St James' Park and play a major role in Sam Allardyce's rebuilding of his hometown club. But he wants his long-term future sorted out.

AdvertisementHe hopes talks to secure his future on Tyneside will start in the next few days and said: "We have to wait and see how that goes and how my future lies.

"I want to stay. It is up to the board what they want to do with me but I don't want to be messed about.

"It is as simple as that. I have ambitions and it was agreed there would be an improved contract after a certain amount of games."

This needs sorting Big Sam  :'(

Guest Darth Toon

I think one of the first things Sam will be looking to do is give him a slap for trying to conduct contract negotiations via the press.

Haivng said that, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he's been misquoted/misrepresented by the shit-stirring bastards.

The 'Geordie' Bramble.

No loss in reality.

Your a Mackem in disguise or your off your rocker!! Taylor's  obviously a bloody good defender who will get better and better. Our only  good defender, he's come up through the youth system captaining at most levels and he's a Geordie who geniunely loves the TOON. Give him a new contract! He's not your average footballing mercenery and he looks like he could be geniune class!

Your a Mackem in disguise or your off your rocker!! Taylor's  obviously a bloody good defender who will get better and better. Our only  good defender, he's come up through the youth system captaining at most levels and he's a Geordie who geniunely loves the TOON. Give him a new contract! He's not your average footballing mercenery and he looks like he could be geniune class!

:thup:

Steven Taylor is a outstanding prospect and has the qualities at such a young age to go on and be a Newcastle United Captain.

Certainly important this Summer for Big Sam and Shepherd to give him a contract he deserves.

Not too worried about this at the moment, I am sure he will get a new contract on terms that will suit him and the club. I think we would be mad to mess the lad around though!

Guest Armchair Pundit

If it's true then Taylor's been ill-advised by his agent or just plain stupid, you don't talk to the press about your contract, and especially not using the wording he's been quoted with - makes him look bad to the board/management and a bit of a brat. Personally I'm dubious whether he's actually said these things, either way I think we should offer him a new contract, though I wouldn't give him loads.

TBH I'd guess the transcript went something along the lines of...

'It was agreed that after I'd palyed 50 games for the club we would negotiate a better contract. I've now played over 70 games and will now be doing so.

I don't want to mess about, I just want it sorted so I can go to Faliraki for the summer then come back refreshed ready for our assalut on the premier league'.

Translated as...

Taylor is impatient about a new contract not being forthcoming and does not want to be messed around by the club'.

Guest alex

Vastly overrated tbh. 78 appearances man! Not saying he won't be a good player but he has to improve a lot of aspects of his game for that to happen. Crumpy isn't far off the mark imo, although Taylor has youth on his side. Tin hat on etc.

Don't know I think Taylor has a lot more potential than Titus and Crumpy is doing his typical "outrages comment" thing to get a reaction. He often targets Taylor because he knows it will get a reaction.

Im sure that the club will award him with new contract.

ATM he is our best defender and its normal for him to wants improved contract.

If the club didnt give him new improved contract it will be disgrace

Us fans seem a lot more forgiving for his mistakes than we are for Bramble, though I think he has the potential to be a top defender. He needs to be playing next to the right man though!

not to happy that he is doing it via the press.

but this lad is a future captain in my opinion, and with the right coaching can go to the very top.

he is better than J.T was at his age imo

Guest alex

Aye, definitely needs the right partner. Most of us (apart from Glenn Roeder) would have said Sol Campbell.

The 'Geordie' Bramble.

No loss in reality.

Definitely over rated.

Looked good in the reserves, has potential but gets lost far too often and will have to eliminate the "rash" moments.

Cost us the tie against Alkmaar but Titus was made the scapegoat while the "local lad" got away with it.

I'd keep him, but certainly wouldn't let him hold us to ransom.

He might make it but my bet is 5 years from now he'll be a decent Championship player.

Guest Mantis

Taylor is still quite young and the real opinion on his progress should be made in a couple of years when hes 23.  If he is dropping b*llocks every week after 5 yrs in the 1st team, then something has gone badly wrong, just like it did with dough boy.

I think he has a lot of potential and comes across more as a fan living his dream and giving his best unlike many at the club.  Didnt see any of the other players standing in the press room interested to hear the new gaffer.

The 'Geordie' Bramble.

No loss in reality.

Definitely over rated.

Looked good in the reserves, has potential but gets lost far too often and will have to eliminate the "rash" moments.

Cost us the tie against Alkmaar but Titus was made the scapegoat while the "local lad" got away with it.

He might make it but my bet is 5 years from now he'll be a decent Championship player.

How did he cost us against Alkmaar? Having the ball kicked at him in the area, what a shite player!

This season seeing the young lads come through (including the "young" Ramage) you can really see how good Taylor is. Yes he sometimes makes the wrong decisions and can be rash but he is 21 FFS! How many 21 year old centre backs are there around who don't make mistakes and wrong decisions!? Thats without even looking at the fact he has often had to try and carry his partners through games. Dawson who makes the England squad seems to make a mistake every time I see him play!

Guest Mantis

Benwell Lad

'Definitely over rated.

He might make it but my bet is 5 years from now he'll be a decent Championship player.'

Thats not how I remembered it, I seem to recall Dough Boy went walk about and lwas 20 yards in front of the three defenders back in the box.

Suppose it is all about opinions, but perhaps you want to list the 21 yr old CB's in the Premiership who dont make mistakes.  I'd be interested to know who they are.

I'm sure he'll get a new contract, but he's a bit young to be talking about not getting messed about. 'The geordie Bramble' might be a bit harsh, but there is a bit of truth to it. He's still very rash and has a lot to learn. Great prospect without a doubt but that doesn't make him John Terry overnight (or Bramble for that matter). Let's keep some perspective.

Taylor's got boatloads more potential than Bramble ever did. I don't think he's brilliant, and i don't think he ever will be especially, but i think he'll turn into a very good player; he's been our best defender this season, without being startlingly good. Needs some good coaching and a good partner, and then i think he'll turn into a very good centre-half.

Best defender we have by a mile, deserves an extension, but i doubt a rise in wages is in order, not for this season, we should not be rewarding averageness just because he's a local lad.