Newcastle United VS Celtic

Guest smoggeordie

Guest NUFCnutter

HUGE problem?  Where? ???

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians.  Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a shit.  It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs.  Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

Aberdeen are as bad as any of them, but they get away with it, cause they're not sectarian.

Why are we allowed to call people all sorts under the sun just because of an area they come from, but the Old Firm lot aren't allowed to sing shit over (ridiculously) legitimate religious beef?

If there's a big problem with bigotry in Glasgow, then there's a problem everywhere.  Everywhere else gets away with it because, as I say, it's not on religious grounds.  Try telling me some of the stuff that's been said about Liverpool and Sunderland amongst others, on here, isn't bigotry.

Whatever you say!!!

Well, I do live in Glasgow, as does Colinmk, who agrees with me here.

Good for you! So you have never seen bigotry in Glasgow then? Have you been to Maryhill? My mates and I were beaten up in Glasgow town Centre just for wearing Rangers tops and we were called "proddy bastards" as they were doing it. Is that sectarian? In the eyes of the police it was!

It is, mate.  I agree, and yes I have seen bigotry I wasn't claiming it never existed, but I also know, like any other old firm fan or Glaswegian, that if you walk about the city centre with either colours on, you're a walking target.  Most have the sense to cover up, or travel about in a pack.  I mean, I guess that's not actually good enough, and you should be able to walk around freely, but it's the same the country over.  No-go zones for certain fans in certain parts of the city. 

Glasgow City Centre can be rough at the best of times, if you don't mind me asking, what part of the town was it?

I live about a 3 minute drive from Maryhill.  It's not a sectarian place, it's got problems with gangs, but a sectarian problem?  As if, they're all in the same fucking gangs.

My point was Glasgow doesn't have a "sectarian problem" or in your words, "HUGE problem".  It simply doesn't.

Lets just agree to differ then, I still love Glasgow, and I go up there all the time, to visit family and go to the game. Your experience and mine obviously differ, but then, have you ever been beaten up because you are wearing the teams colours, and called because of your "presumed" religion? If not, then you haven't experienced the violence first hand. I am sure I am not an isolated incident. I am not slagging off Glasgow at all, I love the place, warts and all, but I have experienced the sectarianism that does exist.

Guest thenorthumbrian

celtic fans are scum...hate them in toon...

Ooh didums hide under the bed until the nasty men have gone away...

The Celtic fans I have met have been just like the Geordie fans , up for a laugh and a good drink.

Are there some wankers among them ...yes

Are there some wankers among us........ yes

No difference there then.

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians.  Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a s***.  It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs.  Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

Aberdeen are as bad as any of them, but they get away with it, cause they're not sectarian.

Why are we allowed to call people all sorts under the sun just because of an area they come from, but the Old Firm lot aren't allowed to sing s*** over (ridiculously) legitimate religious beef?

If there's a big problem with bigotry in Glasgow, then there's a problem everywhere.  Everywhere else gets away with it because, as I say, it's not on religious grounds.  Try telling me some of the stuff that's been said about Liverpool and Sunderland amongst others, on here, isn't bigotry.

Whatever you say!!!

Good for you! So you have never seen bigotry in Glasgow then? Have you been to Maryhill? My mates and I were beaten up in Glasgow town Centre just for wearing Rangers tops and we were called "proddy bastards" as they were doing it. Is that sectarian? In the eyes of the police it was!

It is, mate.  I agree, and yes I have seen bigotry I wasn't claiming it never existed, but I also know, like any other old firm fan or Glaswegian, that if you walk about the city centre with either colours on, you're a walking target.  Most have the sense to cover up, or travel about in a pack.  I mean, I guess that's not actually good enough, and you should be able to walk around freely, but it's the same the country over.  No-go zones for certain fans in certain parts of the city. 

Glasgow City Centre can be rough at the best of times, if you don't mind me asking, what part of the town was it?

I live about a 3 minute drive from Maryhill.  It's not a sectarian place, it's got problems with gangs, but a sectarian problem?  As if, they're all in the same f****** gangs.

My point was Glasgow doesn't have a "sectarian problem" or in your words, "HUGE problem".  It simply doesn't.

Lets just agree to differ then, I still love Glasgow, and I go up there all the time, to visit family and go to the game. Your experience and mine obviously differ, but then, have you ever been beaten up because you are wearing the teams colours, and called because of your "presumed" religion? If not, then you haven't experienced the violence first hand. I am sure I am not an isolated incident. I am not slagging off Glasgow at all, I love the place, warts and all, but I have experienced the sectarianism that does exist.

Well like Bluf says, everyone knows not to go walking round dodgy parts of Glasgow with a celtic or rangers shirt on because if you bump into one of them gangs then its bad news. No different to Liverpool, Manchester, London or anywhere with more than one team. Neds/chavs whatever you want to call them will start on you for whatever reason, football/religion being an excuse. Incidently my mates have walked around the centre for about 4 years wearing celtic shirts and have never had any shit.

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians.  Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a s***.  It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs.  Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

Why are we allowed to call people all sorts under the sun just because of an area they come from, but the Old Firm lot aren't allowed to sing s*** over (ridiculously)

egitimate religious beef?

Whatever you say!!!

a stay in glasgow and i agree

Guest smoggeordie

Locking this thread as it was meant to discuss the upcoming friendly and not sectarian stuff. Save that for General Chat.

whats the fascination with playing these bigoted scumbags

Bigots ? Thats an UNDERstatement.

Yep, they still sing their IRA songs and wave the irish tricolour. Slimey tossers.

Still - I've probably had more friendly chats with the Celtic fans after the game than the other set of Glasgow bigots.

Agreed, there are bigots on both sides of the fence....I was a little suprised by SM's reaction to my previous comment .... maybe he has a problem with me or thinks I have with him, if so he is wrong.

I've met canny lads on both sides of the divide and its sad that even they get dragged into the religion and bigotry .... and its also true that in my experience very very few fans of both Rangers and Celtic don't drag this s**** into the conversation at some stage.

The support for the IRA, UDA etc is appalling. I am pleased these scumbags don't play in the premiership and hope that they never ever drag this bollocks down to England. I don't like NUFC playing them and never have.

I agree with the above statements. Both Glasgow clubs bring on the bigot accusations themselves. I personally would rather we didn't have Celtic fans down here. Trying to take over the city with a "We're the biggest and best club in the land, with the best following." attitude.

Why are we allowed to call people all sorts under the sun just because of an area they come from, but the Old Firm lot aren't allowed to sing s*** over (ridiculously) legitimate religious beef?

I've heard that area's around Glasgow, like Motherwell, Wishaw, Falkirk, Largs, Kilmarnock and Ayr have a bigger problem with sectarianism than Glasgow itself and on a match day more incidents occur in these places.

Well, they can have all the problems they want, but they're not part of Glasgow, where the majority of Rangers and Celtic fans are from.  Motherwell I can speak from experience though, and that's overblown.  Will give Wishaw, but then, I wouldn't go down Wishaw any time of day, week or the year.

These aren't sectarian problems, behave man.  They're social problems, like the rough areas in and around Newcastle and every other city around Britain.  What do you thinks happening, sectarian riots or something?  Will be random scuffles with two sets of supports, again, like any other city around Britain.

You sure most Celtic/Rangers fans come from Glasgow? Are they not the equivalent of Englands Man u/Chelsea for gloryhunting?

I'll be there if tickets are £15 tops. But Fred wont see it that way, fat bastard.

seen as im not reading any of this thread sinse its already been locked when it the match due to be in? fancy going to a pre-seasoner already in the mood for the start of the season, darn high paid footballers wanting their summer holidays ;)

Guest Knightrider

We are all bigotted, tbh.

Anyway Bluf is right. I don't agree with the whole Rangers and Celtic thing but so long as they don't try and force their views on me, which they don't or haven't done, I'm not bothered. I don't mind either tbh, they come to our City and spend money and lots of it where as Celtic will provide a good work out for the team.