Newcastle United VS Celtic

Guest smoggeordie

You can talk about bigots, and I'm no fan of the old firm nonsense, but saying "all Celtic fans are bigots", and saying they all support the IRA, which let's remember are now dormant, that speaks of another prejudice.

And thats the point I was getting it.  It was not aimed specifically at NE5 its just that anytime any of the Old Firm are mentioned on here they are all tarred with the same brush.

Take my points on face value SM.

They are nothing more or less than that.

I am disappointed that you have not replied to my reply.

In my experience the vast majority of Rangers and Celtic supporters - however good lads they are - have an attitude which engulfs bigotry. They may not realise it, in fact they don't. I'm not castigating them for it if they know nothing differently, I'm pointing out the problem, which is deeper and outside of football. I suspect you know this already, so why not admit it instead of defending it ?

I don't like NUFC playing these shitbags, and I think all other clubs should avoid them too and alienate them for this reason.

I think that its all about standards. For instance, if someone, or some sets of fans, made racist comments or whatever, the rest of football would take them to task for it. I think the obvious support, bigotry,  and backing of terrorists is 10 times worse.

Sorry Leazes/NE5 but that is alot of bollocks where the f*** am I defending it?  I am however defending those thousands of supporters who want to support a football club and are there for footballing reasons only.

Seeing as you are doing your standrad "answer my question", to my knowledge seeing as I go to Newcastle games not Old Firm ones no not very often you will hear IRA or bigoted songs anymore.  Both clubs have taken a string stance on it and are being pro active in the battle against bigotry and people are being banned etc if found to be singing these songs, The Rangers chairman has recently stated he would ban all supporters from away games if found guilty of continuing.

However that is irrelevant, I am aware there is a percentage of bigots on both side, christ I live in the West of Scotland, my point being is that all too often these clubs and many of their supporters are generalised and unfairly too.

Just out of curiosity - would those fans who have issues with playing Celtic also have issues with playing Rangers?

And further, do any of those who have issues with Celtic fans have similar issues with Geordie hero Paul Gascoigne and his flute playing shenanigans while in Rangers' colours?

You can talk about bigots, and I'm no fan of the old firm nonsense, but saying "all Celtic fans are bigots", and saying they all support the IRA, which let's remember are now dormant, that speaks of another prejudice.

And thats the point I was getting it.  It was not aimed specifically at NE5 its just that anytime any of the Old Firm are mentioned on here they are all tarred with the same brush.

In my experience the vast majority of Rangers and Celtic supporters - however good lads they are - have an attitude which engulfs bigotry. They may not realise it, in fact they don't. I'm not castigating them for it if they know nothing differently, I'm pointing out the problem, which is deeper and outside of football. I suspect you know this already, so why not admit it instead of defending it ?

I don't like NUFC playing these shitbags, and I think all other clubs should avoid them too and alienate them for this reason.

I think that its all about standards. For instance, if someone, or some sets of fans, made racist comments or whatever, the rest of football would take them to task for it. I think the obvious support, bigotry,  and backing of terrorists is 10 times worse.

In terms of sheer bloody-minded prejudice, the sort of sweeping generalisations you're indulging in here are just as bad as the sectarianism you're banging on about. Amazed you can't see that...

generalisation and prejudices exists in all sorts of things, for instance, all Manure supporters are gloryhunting daytrippers, which isn't true either. Nor is a statement All muslims are terrorists, but it only takes one to detonate a bomb.

I just said I don't like Newcastle playing these clubs, and I don't like the bile that they carry with them, whether 100 or 10000 are responsible for bringing it doesn't matter.

Sorry Leazes/NE5 but that is alot of bollocks where the f*** am I defending it?  I am however defending those thousands of supporters who want to support a football club and are there for footballing reasons only.

Seeing as you are doing your standrad "answer my question", to my knowledge seeing as I go to Newcastle games not Old Firm ones no not very often you will hear IRA or bigoted songs anymore.  Both clubs have taken a string stance on it and are being pro active in the battle against bigotry and people are being banned etc if found to be singing these songs, The Rangers chairman has recently stated he would ban all supporters from away games if found guilty of continuing.

However that is irrelevant, I am aware there is a percentage of bigots on both side, christ I live in the West of Scotland, my point being is that all too often these clubs and many of their supporters are generalised and unfairly too.

As I said earlier, Ritchie, I have met some good lads who just support their football team , but they have ALL at some stage brought this bollocks into play. You can deny this if you like, but its true, as someone has also just said, the 2 things have gone cap in hand for a long time.

Just out of curiosity - would those fans who have issues with playing Celtic also have issues with playing Rangers?

And further, do any of those who have issues with Celtic fans have similar issues with Geordie hero Paul Gascoigne and his flute playing shenanigans while in Rangers' colours?

I was at the Fairs Cup game in 1969. I don't like playing both of them. They are as bad as each other. Gazza doing that flute impression did nothing other than show how absurdly they take this sort of thing and I don't accept that he "didn't understand what it means", if anything it showed up the depth of the bigotry.

We don't want this shite down here, and it also makes me laugh when they think they are big clubs because they've won a mickey mouse league 40 times each or whatever.  ;D

As I said earlier, Ritchie, I have met some good lads who just support their football team , but they have ALL at some stage brought this bollocks into play. You can deny this if you like, but its true, as someone has also just said, the 2 things have gone cap in hand for a long time.

So you are generalising based on those you have met.  I know many many including friends, family and work colleagues.  I can deny it yes, especially as I live surrounded by it.  Yes I know idiots who are into orange walks etc but they are far outnumbered by those who have no interest in the other side.

I also know Protestants who support Celtic and Catholics who support Rangers, if religion and bigotry played such a big part for them I hardly think they would be supporting the teams they do.

Whilst I have no affiliation with either of the Old Firm I have been brought up in a non bigoted household and my father is a Celtic Season Ticket Holder so yes I take offence when the generalisations are that "they are all" bigoted wankers etc..

So you are generalising based on those you have met.  I know many many including friends, family and work colleagues.  I can deny it yes, especially as I live surrounded by it.  Yes I know idiots who are into orange walks etc but they are far outnumbered by those who have no interest in the other side.

I also know Protestants who support Celtic and Catholics who support Rangers, if religion and bigotry played such a big part for them I hardly think they would be supporting the teams they do.

Whilst I have no affiliation with either of the Old Firm I have been brought up in a non bigoted household and my father is a Celtic Season Ticket Holder so yes I take offence when the generalisations are that "they are all" bigoted wankers etc..

Interesting to see that you are basing your opinions on experience of a situation, when it suits you, but don't appear to take that view in other situations ie when someone who has supported NUFC for a lot longer attempts to comment on situations at the club. Maybe that is wrong, but I certainly don't recall  this.

For the record, Ritchie, I have not said at any stage that EVERYONE takes this view, and of course I base it on people who I have met, what I am told, along with what I hear when they are on TV. As I said, the lads I have met are for the most part good lads !!!

Also - remember - I lived in Scotland for a while, I have met numerous Rangers and Celtic fans when I lived up there ie when Souness was at Rangers and Alex Ferguson was at Aberdeen which I have stated fairly often, so if you think about it, I must have met quite a few supporters of both Rangers and Celtic. I can count on one hand the people who did not bring this into a converstation or show bigoted views of the other side of the divide.

I don't want to argue with you. I accept what you say but it doesn't change my view that I don't wish to see these clubs playing in the premiership, or NUFC playing them.

For NE5 irony is stuff made largely of metal.

Fuck the IRA chants continue at England games. Of course I don't approve of terrorism, but you know the chants are sectarian however you look at it.

Richie, every away game you will hear, sectarian songs, not so much Celtic but Rangers all the time.

Follow Follow we will follow Rangers, up the Falls, Derry's Walls we will follow on, Dundee, Hamilton, fuck the pope and Vatican, and if we go to Dublin we will follow on.  << Every single game

Guest NUFCnutter

I go to Ibrox quite a lot, last up there for the Aberdeen game a couple of months ago, and there is still bigotry there not only from the Celtic and Rangers lads but the Aberdeen fans too. I have no problem with Newcastle playing Celtic as it were, but for the fact that they are at SJP nearly as often as we are. There is a HUGE problem with the sectarianism in Glasgow, but it is not helped by mindless comments made by others who have no experience of it.  :tickedoff: Both Old Firm clubs are trying very hard to stamp it out, but its part of the makeup of the clubs. I have been beaten up in Glasgow town centre by a bunch of Celtic fans, just for wearing a Rangers Jersey, and I am sure the same has happened to Celtic fans too. I would much prefer that we played someone different just because its not the same team over again.

HUGE problem? Where? ???

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians. Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a shit. It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs. Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

Aberdeen are as bad as any of them, but they get away with it, cause they're not sectarian.

Why are we allowed to call people all sorts under the sun just because of an area they come from, but the Old Firm lot aren't allowed to sing shit over (ridiculously) legitimate religious beef?

If there's a big problem with bigotry in Glasgow, then there's a problem everywhere. Everywhere else gets away with it because, as I say, it's not on religious grounds. Try telling me some of the stuff that's been said about Liverpool and Sunderland amongst others, on here, isn't bigotry.

HUGE problem?  Where? ???

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians.  Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a s***.  It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs.  Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on a Old Firm matchday there's a problem, and later it's in certain areas.

Aberdeen are as bad as any of them, but they get away with it, cause they're not sectarian.

Why are we allowed to call people all sorts under the sun just because of an area they come from, but the Old Firm lot aren't allowed to sing s*** over (ridiculously) legitimate religious beef?

If there's a big problem with bigotry in Glasgow, then there's a problem everywhere.  Everywhere else gets away with it because, as I say, it's not on religious grounds.  Try telling me some of the stuff that's been said about Liverpool and Sunderland amongst others, on here, isn't bigotry.

Spot on.

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians.  Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a s***.  It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs.  Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

Why are we allowed to call people all sorts under the sun just because of an area they come from, but the Old Firm lot aren't allowed to sing s*** over (ridiculously) legitimate religious beef?

If there's a big problem with bigotry in Glasgow, then there's a problem everywhere.  Everywhere else gets away with it because, as I say, it's not on religious grounds.  Try telling me some of the stuff that's been said about Liverpool and Sunderland amongst others, on here, isn't bigotry.

I've heard that area's around Glasgow, like Motherwell, Wishaw, Falkirk, Largs, Kilmarnock and Ayr have a bigger problem with sectarianism than Glasgow itself and on a match day more incidents occur in these places.

And we are supposed to have a good relationship with Juve...

Anyone got any pics of that centenary match at Stadio Del Alpi, where the toon wore black n white, n Juve pink?

It wasn't in Turin was in Cesena, I think we lost 3-2.

HUGE problem? Where? ???

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians. Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a s***. It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs. Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

If there's a big problem with bigotry in Glasgow, then there's a problem everywhere. Everywhere else gets away with it because, as I say, it's not on religious grounds. Try telling me some of the stuff that's been said about Liverpool and Sunderland amongst others, on here, isn't bigotry.

I've heard that area's around Glasgow, like Motherwell, Wishaw, Falkirk, Largs, Kilmarnock and Ayr have a bigger problem with sectarianism than Glasgow itself and on a match day more incidents occur in these places.

Well, they can have all the problems they want, but they're not part of Glasgow, where the majority of Rangers and Celtic fans are from. Motherwell I can speak from experience though, and that's overblown. Will give Wishaw, but then, I wouldn't go down Wishaw any time of day, week or the year.

These aren't sectarian problems, behave man. They're social problems, like the rough areas in and around Newcastle and every other city around Britain.  What do you thinks happening, sectarian riots or something?  Will be random scuffles with two sets of supports, again, like any other city around Britain.

Guest NUFCnutter

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians.  Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a shit.  It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs.  Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

Why are we allowed to call people all sorts under the sun just because of an area they come from, but the Old Firm lot aren't allowed to sing shit over (ridiculously) legitimate religious beef?

Whatever you say!!!

HUGE problem? Where? ???

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians. Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a shit. It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs. Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

Whatever you say!!!

Well, I do live in Glasgow, as does Colinmk, who agrees with me here.

Guest NUFCnutter

There's a slight problem at games, which gets hilariously overblown by the press and non-Glaswegians.  Sure half these songs are "sectarian", whatever that really means to the average man on the street these days, but no-one up here actually gives a shit.  It's all you lot, and dare I say, the PC culture pissing and moaning about these stupid songs.  Glasgow gets along fine, it's only on an Old Firm matchday (in the stadium) there's a "problem", and later it's in certain areas.

Whatever you say!!!

Good for you! So you have never seen bigotry in Glasgow then? Have you been to Maryhill? My mates and I were beaten up in Glasgow town Centre just for wearing Rangers tops and we were called "proddy bastards" as they were doing it. Is that sectarian? In the eyes of the police it was!

HUGE problem? Where? ???

Whatever you say!!!

Good for you! So you have never seen bigotry in Glasgow then? Have you been to Maryhill? My mates and I were beaten up in Glasgow town Centre just for wearing Rangers tops and we were called "proddy bastards" as they were doing it. Is that sectarian? In the eyes of the police it was!

It is, mate. I agree, and yes I have seen bigotry I wasn't claiming it never existed, but I also know, like any other old firm fan or Glaswegian, that if you walk about the city centre with either colours on, you're a walking target. Most have the sense to cover up, or travel about in a pack. I mean, I guess that's not actually good enough, and you should be able to walk around freely, but it's the same the country over. No-go zones for certain fans in certain parts of the city.

Glasgow City Centre can be rough at the best of times, if you don't mind me asking, what part of the town was it?

I live about a 3 minute drive from Maryhill. It's not a sectarian place, it's got problems with gangs, but a sectarian problem? As if, they're all in the same fucking gangs.

My point was Glasgow doesn't have a "sectarian problem" or in your words, "HUGE problem", not that it doesn't exist.  It's hilariously overblown though.  I've yet to ever meet a Rangers or Celtic fan that's been offended by any song, ever song.  Again, it's people getting offended on the behalf of others.  People are creating an issue where there isn't one, and they've now got everyone thinking there's a "sectarian problem" here.