Beckham for England

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Steve McClaren is reportedly considering an international recall for David Beckham.

One of McClaren's first acts as England boss when he took over last summer was to drop the former captain from his squad, but he is now understood to be seriously considering picking Beckham for the upcoming games against Brazil and Estonia.

Beckham has not played for England since the World Cup quarter-final loss to Portugal last summer, and his international career looked to be over after he was omitted from McClaren's first squad.

According to The Times, McClaren has been impressed with Beckham's displays for Real Madrid this season, despite the midfielder having only played a handful of games in recent weeks.

Beckham performed well in Madrid's 3-2 victory over Recreativo on Sunday night, setting up one goal and was involved in the build up to Roberto Carlos' late winner.

The Times reports that McClaren was considering picking Beckham for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Andorra in March, but injury ruled him out of those games.

A recall would represent a remarkable double turnaround for Beckham, who was also told earlier in the season that he would never play for Real again by coach Fabio Capello after his move to LA Galaxy was announced.

Steve McClaren is reportedly considering an international recall for David Beckham.

One of McClaren's first acts as England boss when he took over last summer was to drop the former captain from his squad, but he is now understood to be seriously considering picking Beckham for the upcoming games against Brazil and Estonia.

Beckham has not played for England since the World Cup quarter-final loss to Portugal last summer, and his international career looked to be over after he was omitted from McClaren's first squad.

According to The Times, McClaren has been impressed with Beckham's displays for Real Madrid this season, despite the midfielder having only played a handful of games in recent weeks.

Beckham performed well in Madrid's 3-2 victory over Recreativo on Sunday night, setting up one goal and was involved in the build up to Roberto Carlos' late winner.

The Times reports that McClaren was considering picking Beckham for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Andorra in March, but injury ruled him out of those games.

A recall would represent a remarkable double turnaround for Beckham, who was also told earlier in the season that he would never play for Real again by coach Fabio Capello after his move to LA Galaxy was announced.

He would add summat that has been clearly missing.....Flagrant stupidity.

Guest Toon83

Becks should never have been dropped from the squad, we have been lacking a leader since his departure, a recall should see him play in the centre with Stevie G, fat Frank should be the one to be dropped  :knuppel2:

Guest alex

McClaren only dropped him to appear 'strong' when the real issue (one which still hasn't been resolved) was Lampard OR Gerrard playing as an attacking midfielder rather than trying to play both.

McClaren only dropped him to appear 'strong' when the real issue (one which still hasn't been resolved) was Lampard OR Gerrard playing as an attacking midfielder rather than trying to play both.

Problem being if you drop fat Lamps he bounces back.

He is worthy of a place in the squad IMO and he should never have been dropped in the first place. 

Not see him in the World Cup, i take?

I like Becks, he's one of my favourite players in general (well, has been), but to bring him into the side now would be a step backwards. And if McClaren can't think of any ways of improving the state of affairs, other than to bring back high profile members of former squads, then things are going from bad to worse.

EDIT: But if he is going to do that, target Paul Scholes - not Beckham.

He is worthy of a place in the squad IMO and he should never have been dropped in the first place. 

Not see him in the World Cup, i take?

I like Becks, he's one of my favourite players in general (well, has been), but to bring him into the side now would be a step backwards. And if McClaren can't think of any ways of improving the state of affairs, other than to bring back high profile members of former squads, then things are going from bad to worse.

EDIT: But if he is going to do that, target Paul Scholes - not Beckham.

I agree with everything in your post but the edit (Beckham can be accomodated better than Scholes IMO).  I agree that it wouldn't be in the best interests of the squad to bring him back now and it would suggest to the players that McClaren isn't sure of himself (which I think is true).  I still think, based on ability, he is worthy of a place in the squad and that he shouldn't have been dropped.  It was a mistake to drop him.  One that you can't just fix by picking him again and forgetting about it.

BTW, I admit he was poor at the World Cup but, other than Hargreaves and possibly a couple of others, who wasn't?  At least he had the excuse of fitness problems.

The one ability Beckham, as a winger, had left come the end of his England career was free-kicks. And they were erratic.

He was slow, he couldn't beat his man, he couldn't bomb forward and get back, he wasn't an influence on the team and he just wasn't effective.

Add a season of turmoil and £500,000 a week onto that, and i'm pessimistic.

I think we lack Beckham's maturity in England squad. He offers something different.

As for Lampard, I have to admit, only Gerard or Lampard can play in the first 11, they can't play together. I would pick Gerard over Lampard not because Gerard is better but because Gerard's style of play seems to suit England more.

I may be wrong though. Just my opinion.

Regards,

Ericz

Guest brewer

He'd still be an asset if someone would just tell him to keep the width and stop going here there and everywhere looking for the ball.

It's absurd how he's considered a right winger yet nobody would ever say anything when he'd be picking the ball up alongside the centre backs.

He'd still be an asset if someone would just tell him to keep the width and stop going here there and everywhere looking for the ball.

It's absurd how he's considered a right winger yet nobody would ever say anything when he'd be picking the ball up alongside the centre backs.

I suspect that he was told to keep to his position more, but he ignored instructions and drifted backwards and inside. That's why McClaren dropped him the minute he took over. I think he was fed up with a player who either couldn't or wouldn't play for the team.

alex has hit the nail on the head like. He won't recall him because of the threat of looking weak. It was his big gesture/statement to the squad that it was time for change - if he does a U-turn now, the media will rip him to bits for it. He's made is bed and he's going to have to lie in it.

I suspect that he was told to keep to his position more, but he ignored instructions and drifted backwards and inside. That's why McClaren dropped him the minute he took over. I think he was fed up with a player who either couldn't or wouldn't play for the team.

He went that way after he was made captain. Took on too much responsibilty imo, to the detriment of the team/shape.

alex has hit the nail on the head like. He won't recall him because of the threat of looking weak. It was his big gesture/statement to the squad that it was time for change - if he does a U-turn now, the media will rip him to bits for it. He's made is bed and he's going to have to lie in it.

Agreed, it won't happen.

Beckham's return to the England squad may inspire the squad itself because Beckham was England's leader and he is the most famous England player.He has the character to lead his teammates,to motivate them and ot inspire them on the field and at tough moments.I think he was great England captain.

Maybe if he returns that will have positive effect to the team

Guest Stephen927

Beckham should have been dropped, but he shouldn't have been left out McClaren's call-ups.

It was the easy thing to do at the time, Beckham coming in for a lot of criticism, Sven was criticised for not dropping star players, team picked itself etc. McClaren dropped Beckham for his own gains without any real thought for the future in my opinion to try and create a sense that he is a manager who won't take any crap.

The media will have a field day if he recalls Beckham. Funny how in recent England games there were chants for Beckham to be recalled when it was only a few months previous most England fans were on his back :laugh:

He went that way after he was made captain. Took on too much responsibilty imo, to the detriment of the team/shape.

Yep.